The Killing of a Sacred Deer

I'm not around here too often but I was wondering what Sup Forums's thoughts were on pic related, the killing of a sacred deer?

initially I didn't know who the director was and I was thinking "oh great let's just to the same as The Lobster did I guess" and then found that it's of course the same guy....which didn't make it any better
movie made up for that later on though

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=zBIoRf6uFR0
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>I'm not around here too often

fuck off nigger

I had very high expectations for it and it exceeded all of them. But if I watched it again I probably won't like it as much. I think Nicole Kidman was the only one who didn't quite "get" the role.

beg your pardon user?
is this board only for daily posters or what?

>Nicole Kidman was the only one who didn't quite "get" the role
I know what you mean, but perhaps the point of that was to give the people who couldn't handle it a more relatable character
imo she's more than capable of doing this kinds of roles so I think it was intentional that it turned out like this

ah shit I didn't realize it was star wars season
I'll come back in a few weeks I guess

I don't know, I think she had similar troubles with her character in Eyes Wide Shut. She's so likeable and so beautiful, so it must be very hard for her to do characters that are so reprehensible and off-beat.

>She's so likeable and so beautiful
this is a big issue I have with cinema these days, although I feel like non-american/lower budget movies do it better, and what I mean is: everyone is fucking attractive
everyone
and in this one I understand, they're all rich and pretty bla bla, fits the narrative, but on average it's just hard to buy into it

she was good in dogville tho; but I can't really recall her in other roles so I guess that says something

on the other hand, the evil kid in this movie was quite spot on; their two other kids, especially the daughter, were kinda baity but I guess he needs to put in as much edgyness as possible into these movies

Dogville is great and it's mainly due to Nicole Kidman really selling the tragedy that is Grace. It is absolutely her finest performance. She did an impressive turn this year in the HBO miniseries Big Little Lies as a battered wife (though I think anyone could probably make a sympathetic role like that look good). I loved Martin and the daughter character. Their IRL age difference makes the whole thing seem all the more sinister.

You need to watch To Die For. Kidman is incredibly talented but became box office poison sometime after divorcing Cruise.

Haven't seen it, too busy masturbating over the polaroid-cut poster of it.

Thanks for the recc I should really watch this as you're not the first person to mention it to me.

What are you talking about? Sounds like you just live in a hell hole full of ugly people. No one was overly attractive at all and compared to the real life families like that they were normal as fuck in appearance. Even their house wasn't that extravagant despite the outer appearance. Get out of your third world country.

well you know what they say: A Cincinnati 10 is a New York 6.

exactly and that's kind of why I thought it was a bit...easy? like it just felt so easy to have an underage daughter character in there just to add to the tension, I dunno, maybe I've been on this website too long but I saw it coming from a mile away
and for convenience let's use someone super cute instead of a more banal/chubby girl let's say y'know?

I've been stuck inside for 4 days with a cold and could use any movie recommendations so thx

I kinda dislike the different fonts in the title, it's like the logo of a faux-old-time-y barber shoppe, everything else about it is great

it wouldn't be the first time my insecurities got the better of me, so you might be 100% correct
it's not like I was saying my pov is some kind of absolute fact, just how I see/feel about things
>Get out of your third world country
funny thing is I did and ended up in a place where everyone is fucking attractive desu

Disturbing, but pretty funny too.

I liked that scene a lot.

S P A G H E T T I

it's awful because my grandparents literally told me when I was kid that I had some unique way of eating pasta (I've always loved pasta) and I'd learned that from cartoons
and of course later I found out that is _the_ way to eat pasta and I was just so confused and all my beliefs about older people knowing everything were forever shattered
growing up is tough yo

what are your opinions on the flat style of their dialogue?
in hopes of it not being just a gimmick, I was thinking it's how the doctor dude sees the world, disconnected emotionally from everything, because of his job
surgeons are often seen as cold, calculated, sometimes even heartless (hah!) people

>>what are your opinions on the flat style of their dialogue?
That's just Lanthimos' style.

>what are your opinions on the flat style of their dialogue?
It's Lanthimos' gimmick like other user said, but at the risk of sounding like a dunderhead: Our world has become increasingly absurd and detached simultaneously, and maybe his movies are supposed to be a reflection of that.

then if he does it again in whatever he makes next I'll just be annoyed
"yea let's just make them feel awkward for no reason" woo art! it's bordering on forced meme levels

does it again? He's done it 4 times already (maybe he did it for Kinetta I didn't see it). Alps is probably my favorite, or Deer. One of the two.

WHERE'S THE MONEY LEBOWSKI
I WANT THAT MONEY LEBOWSKI
MARTIN SAYS YOU'RE GOOD FOR IT
EAT THE FUCKING DONUT SHITHEEEAAAD

b-but 4 is enough right? I've only seen dogtooth and the lobster by him, so I guess I'll also see Alps
dogtooth was...well that was quite some time ago so might have to rewatch
loved the lobster tho

also
>imagine how many doctors went back home after the movie and asked this of their wives

>slow vaporwave playing in the background

It's supposed to be a reflection of his autism and Greek Weird Wave being autistic in general.

well he is definitely autistic. didn't know he was part of some wave of filmmakers though.

Watch Attenberg and Miss Violence
There is something fundamentally wrong with Greeks, like Finns

The lobster was trash, sacred deer is pure kinoh

>Our world has become increasingly absurd and detached simultaneously
could argue about absurd but the detached part I'm really not buying it's been literally proven that on average we interact way more with our kids than we used to
oh that he wants to still make the point that we still might be too detached or cold with each other, according to his Mediterranean levels of socializing (which are just insane), sure

good argument user!

I'm not arguing

The Lobster was kino though. Does that mean I should watch this one?

deer are sexy

I beg your pardon, I didn't promise you a rose garden

why was the only American actor in the movie a fat oaf?

>the only American actor in the movie
I'm not even gonna start
idem

that's cool because I never got one =(

>n*gger
Cool it with the anti-Semitic remarks.

and for the record, I don't even think I want to know what lens he used for some of the inside shots
like holy shit I didn't know shots could get this wide
lemme just fit this ENTIRE fucking room into your frame real quick
we get how alone and distant everyone is from eachother but ya don't have to hammer it into our skulls like this bro just chillax

but he is is he not?
Colin Farrell: Irish
Nicole Kidman: Australian
Raffey Cassidy: English
Barry Keoghan: Irish
Bill Camp: American

35 mm

literally turn your brain off kind of movie
as bad as capeshit

I bet you were upset they didn't explain why Martin had powers.

I liked it very much but I can see why people disliked it (or other works from Yorgos for that matter). He purposely makes characters very hard to like or connect with, both in their personalities (almost all the characters on his movies are either petty assholes or completely fucking unbearable) and the way actors play them, what with their robotic, methodical and almost annoying way of delivering their lines. He also makes simple plots slightly convoluted, which I personally consider a plus (I watched Sacred Deer with a date and by the end she didn't know what the fuck happened despite the movie giving all the plot pieces necessary to figure it out). One of my faves of the year.

If you were ok with the way characters and plot developed with The Lobster then you'll be very comfortable watching this.

and why the dialogues were so bad and unispered

but then what do other directors shoot at inside? I'm only a hobbyist in photography and 35mm (equiv) doesn't fit nearly as much into the camera so how does that work differently?
we should call in /p/ but they'll just start sperging out about gear and shit

what explanation do you have user? I'm genuinely curious

>He purposely makes characters very hard to like or connect with
that's fine by me, I have way bigger problems connecting with characters from most other movies anyway
but m8, them parenthesis sections, dude you gotta cut down on that shit it ain't good for ya

Greekfag here, can confirm, brother went to film school. They all drink the european arthouse coolaid since the 70s, probably due to socioeconomic reasons.

>unispered
what does this mean?

gypsy curse

I bet he felt actual physical pain when he realized he couldn't center this frame
still a good one

as someone who's known a lot of greeks, could you please also confirm to the other anons that you people really do talk and socialize way more than just about any country north of Italy? I mean I've met swedes who just didn't know how to handle it at times the poor souls

>gypsy curse
oh you

Her pussy game is too good tho. I really want a kino gf but they're kinda hard to come by for guys like me.

meant for

>Her pussy game
user I have no clue what you're on about, do you mean the date you went to see this movie with?
kino gf's are great in either case, but a rare find indeed
you can sort of grow them, if you're good at that and have a good base to start from

I think we're more outgoing than nordics but not more than the british.

>do you mean the date you went to see this movie with?
Yeah, I thought you were talking about that lel

He was good at math and wanted to be a surgeon like his dad. Colin Farrell fucked up by killing him.

pic related was the most uncomfortable bit in the whole movie

>but not more than the british
maaaybe on par with the scots, but otherwise I'll have to disagree

another great scene youtube.com/watch?v=zBIoRf6uFR0

come on user it was but a random process
would you have killed your qt daughter instead?
she was very good at literature and history and had a lovely voice (except in that one song)

jesus christ no
>great poster tho

>she was very good at literature and history and had a lovely voice (except in that one song)
yeah but as someone who will be a legacy and pass on the father's superior skills, the choice was clear: Bob all the way.

If he accepted Alicia Silverstone as his second wife and brought Martin into his home would that have fixed everything?

I don't know if I'd go with someone with such flaky morals
one minute he wants this, then the other he says he wants the other just because it suits his situation
who knows when or on what he'll change his mind next

of course
he was just being stubborn
it really is about how overly-principled people can lead entire families down dark sorrowful paths in life

and by the way
what are your thoughts on the whole smocking theme in the movie?

we first see him smoking
then we see martin also smokes
then we see his wife smoking
then we even see his qt daughter smoking
is it about practicing what you preach and how smokers basically never do that? is it about hypocrisy?
my dad smoked, stopped for a bunch of years, started somewhat recently again, always made a big deal of it
my brother started smoking around 20, no idea if he still does
I keep it at 3-4 cigarettes a day for about 5 years now since I moved out

is smoking in the movie a passing of guilt?

does martin do it just to look cool and mature to the qt daughter?

does /bestwife/ do it only when she's stressed?

is she just doing it because literally all adults around her do it?
do we really transpose our faults on our children?

Martin said he started at a party. His father was a smoker, had a heart attack and hit a tree, died on the operating table.

Smoking could be a motif for danger, going too close to the edge, moth to a flame. The characters, particularly the daughter, dance around Martin like he's a fire.

>mfw this was the first movie I ever saw with my kino gf

>said he started at a party
of course he'd say that
>particularly the daughter, dance around Martin like he's a fire
so you think she started because of him?
because if that's the case it's the typical situation of younger teens trying to grow up too fast, trying to look cool and adult

if she started because of her parents, it's a case of "well nobody seems to have any other way to deal with their stress and emotions besides smoking so I might as well try that when I feel like shit, these people won't help me anyway" and a lot of the time that's what keeps people into it
how soon would Bob start smoking at this rate, if his father wouldn't have nailed him into the couch with bullets?

Along with the sunshine,
there's gotta be a little rain sometime

That sounds like it's probably true. Given how awkward and strange he was I couldn't see him picking it up at a party. More than likely just took his mother's cigarettes.

ok so I have a choice to make for the next movie:

American Graffiti
or
To Die For

which one comfy, Sup Forums thread?

oh god that one went so over my head

>when your kid's dying and you forgot where you put the crocodile teeth
evri foken thyme

well that's what I was thinking too, but she did later say that he was super funny right
that's where I get confused: where do you draw the line between autistic direction and actual character traits? are they really like that or are they just shown like that? nobody else in that world seems to pay it any mind, so maybe in that world it\s normal, so for all we know, Martin is the coolest kid in school

>you'll never have a wife to clean the blood in your car's trunk
why live bros

he didn't want to be a surgeon he wanted to be an opthamologist. he was only saying he wanted to be a cardiologist because he didn't want his dad to kill him.

still a doctor is better than their daughter who wasn't particularly good at math or science even though her parents were both MDs.

last still from me for this thread

are you saying all kids should only follow in their parents' career paths?

not sure but as a cardiologist who knows what kind of havoc smoking can wreak on someone's heart it might have been meant to show him as weak or someone with vices. we only learn later that his drinking might have caused martin's father's death.

of course not, but at one point earlier in the movie his wife says that he wants to be an opthamologist and colin farrell says "he'd want to be a coal miner if that was your profession"

he only changed his tune because he was trying to curry favor with his dad

I'd go with the weakness bit because it fits better with the focus on everyone else's smoking as well
>a cardiologist on Sup Forums
I would shit my pants so hard if I found that out after being under your knife desu
that I do agree with yes
>what if his wife were a coal burner instead :^)

i'm not a cardiologist, i meant he was a cardiologist who should know better.

oh thank the lawd jesus

Kind of scary how good Barry Keoghan is at playing an autistic psychopath.

dropped it, I don't have patience for artsy movies anymore

>anymore
what changed user? when?

I'm really glad someone can

All of that guy's movies are pretty good but with horrible shitty endings

OK GUYS HEAR ME UP!
The kid told the guy that once the 3rd fase started there's no way to save them right?
Then why the guy didn't just kill his son instead of spinning to choose one since he was already dead at that point?
Just imagine he stopped and killed her wife, the only one to live will be her daughter since the son was already eye-blinding
This shit really triggered my autism, am i getting wrong?

eye-bleeding*

Irritating as fuck.

>but pretty funny too.
Unintentionally so, which is why the movie is such crap.

>killing of a sacred deer is now considered an art film
consider suicide

can't be arsed to double check but from what I recall it was that after the 3rd stage (eyes bleeding) he wouldn't have much time and would have to choose
hence the hurry to gather downstairs in the living room
and it didn't matter who he'd kill at that point, he just had to kill one of his family like he killed one of martin's family

>I know exactly what the director wanted to do and because a small group of people viewed differently, he did it wrong
check m8 atheists!!!

>Raffey smoking.

Giv me a fuckin break....

gib good quality dl link for this kino, in my country this shit doesnt gets released for the next 4 months

I ain't sharing no link, especially if you can't even do a simple search on a torrent website

No, I'm inclined to think that the mother was in on her son's plan.

love you too user :3

But wouldn't that be another kind of justice?
He lost a father, they'd lose a father
He lost one of his family members, now his family would lose one of theirs
Adds up right
I think that was plan A and when that didn't work he just figured he'd have to get one killed
NO U

Dogtooth > The Lobster > The Killing of a Sacred Deer

This last one didn’t have a solid point behind it. The closing scene was pretty tame.

I dislike this argument when koas is really a tribute to classical greek tragedy. I also failed to note a "solid point" behind lobster