So Sup Forums

So Sup Forums

Soco?

Fuck off Famicom

>CalArts

Can someone stop them?

When will Sup Forums stop crying about things like this?

Stop flanderizing a legitimate complaint with bait images faggot.

When cartoons are animated well again.

When there is visual diversity in traditional animation again.

Man, the top STILL looks better.

The bottom looks like they're trying to have crazy expressions without changing the form of the character. Almost like they're just plastering wild faces on body templates. The top at least has construction that wraps around the face. Except for those awful HB faces, but guess who influenced TV animation the most. Surprise surprise.

So I "never" I take it.

TMS shill pls leave

Not at all, we survived Hannah Barbera, Calarts is smalltime compared to that.

When the economy is booming again we'll start to see more risks, the days of animation run by people who actually love animation and can draw will return.

Mr Famicom HamSandMan77 TMS shill pls leave

Fuck off calarts shill, stop deflecting all criticism on one autist.

That's the problem, when it's "booming" again. Traditional animation is quickly rotting away, seeing as 3D ones tend to be more favoured by companies. Hopefully I am wrong with this.

Yeah, most cartoons are heavily influenced by computer animation these days, tell us something we don't know.

>Unironiclly using the Calarts meme
>OP's image is literally titled "bait"
Sometimes I fucking hate Sup Forums Jesus Christ

Disney has immortalized 2D animation in children and our generation.

When one company gives it a shot and does it well, it'll explode again and the rest will follow suit.

It's a simple one word description of a complex problem, but everyone knows what it means.

dat goalpost moving
>"herp derp cartoon nowaday dont have crazy faces"
>instantly proved wrong
>"n-not like this"

Seriously, fuck off, single take wacky faces are not the same as actual formation and animation of the faces.

One Clampett scene has more funny drawings than whole episodes of cartoons now.

No one said "crazy expressions". All the pic says is "Then and Now". That could refer to a multitude of things. Good construction, variety in design, variety in expressions across different characters, solid drawings, etc.

CALARTS JOHN K

On the scale between CALARTS and John K., how does your content fare?

My content? Like my own shitte drawings? Closer to John but still really bad.

Also John K isn't the end all be all, he has the technique but his sense of humor is hit or miss, and he revels in the vile and gross.

That's why the scale is called "Scale of Shit"

Cow and Chicken is better than Ren and Stimpy

Hey, S1 Gumball got good expressions. They ruined it in the second season tho

Accurate, Hannah Barbera was the first dark age, and we are midway through the second.

Though i'd argue our dark age at least has better writing in places.

Videl vs. the Forces of Evil

>top is sampling cartoons all the way from the 20's to the 90's, approx. a 70 year period

>bottom is sampling cartoons from 2011 onward, approx. a 6 year period

literally the filename, OP is a faggot

Disregarding Gumball's oval vs. round eyes, his design is the king of "plastered expressions over the same body template". But it's excused because that show utilizes so many forms of animation and does it in such a creative way, that it's blatantly obvious they're taking inspiration from Japanese cute mascot characters with his design and that it was not done just as a way to do easy animation on a simple budget. If anything, Gumball looks to be the most expensive of all the shows on the list.

It's the truth disguised as bait disguised as the truth.

>one company vs all of today's cartoons

So we've gone from one copying itself over and over to everyone copying from each other.

The shape of his head and body actually was able to change depending on the expression in S1. The old model even got a side view. I don't have a good example rigth now tho.

>I don't have a good example rigth now tho.
>But I did have this one saved

>now is nothing but circles with mouths

Oh sorry, one square

I'm phoneposting, m8. Sorry.

The other worst thing is that some current cartoons had a Family Guy-esque artstyle instead of the CalArts.

That's a textbook case of goalpost moving
Fuck off,you dont even have the contesxt for the "then" faces

You are retarded

I guess that explains the quality of your piss-poor posting.

If you don't recognize a few of the ones up top, you have no right to be here.

You forgot to include the gif

no, it's bait

C A L A R T S

It's like pottery, it rhythms.

You know, I think I prefer Hanna-Barbera over meme faces.

F O U R. W H O L E. C A R T O O N S.

Seriously, you people are taking the most expressive frames out of 60 or so years of animation, multiple slides from the same show in some cases, and comparing them against the least expressive fan art from a small handful of shows.

The amount this medium has progressed in the last 10 or so years has been absolutely staggering, yes shit shows have always existed, but never have the depth of actually good shows been this much, get the fuck over yourself and sage.

Very nice meme, complex to tangle the truth outta that one.

Yeah, it's a fallacy called cherrypicking, it consists of you picking the best cherries (or the worst), put them in a basket and people who looks at the basket will think all of the cherries are equally good/bad, when it's obviously not true, all this thread is bullshit

>That's a textbook case of goalpost moving
The only goal was "then and now". I don't think you know what moving a goalpost means. I think you just say that phrase constantly on Sup Forums and try to repeat it to make it look like you're winning an argument.

Now both eras looks horrible.

There's literally no way to make the bottom one look good unless you pair it up with white blank space.

>one company

you wanna go digging, go digging, HB isn't even close to the only example of shit tier recycled reference library animation, you got Clutch Cargo level of shit that isn't even animation, you got anything Filmation did, then you have disney's low budget shit (which while being light years away from other examples was still lazy cheap rehashed animation) and then you have any number of foreign made, industrial, or education shit that is hardly worth mentioning, but still bottom of the barrel shit that way too many people were subjected too thanks to TV commercials, and school propaganda film reels.

Is there any modern cartoon that still draw their shit old fashioned way?

Samurai Jack?

Stop trolling before anyone replies

Thankfully, there are still exceptions to this day.

The picture is obviously about expressions and you're being intentionally obtuse

It's about expressions, head shape, design diversity. Not just whether or not it's the same bean head but with a screaming mouth replacing the smiley face like a Flash symbol.

Drawing is hard user! You oppress animators with your standards

And you're telling me design diversity is more varies in the top image? Or head shape?

>The two dark ages of animation in one picture
excellent

You can like both, user. That's always been allowed.

is Sup Forums Westworld? why are the same 10 threads constantly recycled? is the world of comics and cartoons really that boring? this board has gone to shit.