So obviously Sub vs. Dub is a huge point of contention in anime...

So obviously Sub vs. Dub is a huge point of contention in anime, but I was wondering how non-English speaking fans of English media tend to go.

So, for anons whose first language isn't English, do you tend to watch cartoons in English or dubbed in your native language?
Are there any languages known especially for doing good dubs, or infamous for doing bad ones?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=VYMo3PjHmFw
youtube.com/watch?v=sQA5C76GlL0
youtube.com/watch?v=_ZLAZQOylP4
youtube.com/watch?v=LJ1U-ygyY6o
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

I get all my cartoons specially dubbed in ancient forgotten Aztec, the copies are burned and melted in acid and then the remains are put into a maximum security prison in a safe that no one knows the combination to.

It sounds pretty.

sign language with computer binary subs is the only way to watch cartoons

Serious answer here.

Since i get all my cartoons from the internet, they're naturally gonna be in english. Which is much preferable i should add.

My country is full of excellent actors and that shows in dubs as well. The problem is that nobody cares to get the good voice actors for cartoons. There's a few exceptions of course.

Most Disney feature film dubs are 10/10 though, and just as good if not better than the originals.

youtube.com/watch?v=VYMo3PjHmFw

Haven't watched in years, but CN here in the UK is apparently run by the most uptight people who censor/cut anything that strays outside of being for kids under 6.

I assume everyone on this English speaking website watches cartoons in English. I actually learned English by watching the Simpsons in English, because you could get them very easily online.

BRfag here.
For me it depends. I mostly stick with the English versions unless the dub version happens to be better. And this is really just for cartoons since it's extremely rare for this to be the case with live-action.

>Are there any languages known especially for doing good dubs, or infamous for doing bad ones?
As someone who's actually had work in the industry I say brazilian dubs are some of the best in the world. Not even really a personal bias, they do a really good job when it comes to cartoon dubs. The directors usually give the VAs freedom to change lines to match local colloquialisms and generally have fun.
Emperor's New Groove is one example. The voice actors changed virtually everything about the dialogue to make it flow better and they hired a top-tier cast to try and match the original's. It almost feels like a different movie. And I personally think it's way funnier and it fixes one of the only problems with the original movie that is David Spade since, in the Brazilian dub, Kuzco is voiced by a legitimately funny comedian who is way better at being snappy and sarcastic.
youtube.com/watch?v=sQA5C76GlL0 (ignore the cringy thumbnail)

Unfortunately the dubbing studios no longer allow multiple actors to record their lines together in the same take unless they are doing a generic crowd, which is something they used to do back when shows like Ed Edd n Eddy were released. I guess this makes things easier for editors but it kind of cuts the flow of dialogue and it leaves less room for improvising.

Britbong here, UKs pretty much got the same thing as US when it comes to violence but they will fucking stamp out anything sexually suggestive.

I remember when tumblr was crying we were being hypocritical by editing out that gay gem shit haha

Watch everything in english except classic simpsons

Simpsons are so good in Ukrainian dub. I can't stand them in English at all.

A lot of dubs suck, especially in my country but I've been checking dub comparisons out of curiosity and thats true more often than not for most. That said, dubs can very rarely be better than the original, but after you get used to watching everything in english they always sound off. Also everyone here speaks english at least to some degree so pretty much everyone will pick english.

Most people who grew up with the latino dub of The Simpsons prefer it over the original voices, myself included.

But then they decided to change the voices of the main cast, and if you ask me the show died as soon as they did that.

I commonly watch stuff in english with english subs. but can get by with no subtitles if I have to

In general I prefer the native dub. Anime in Japanese, American cartoons in English, French in French etc.
There were a couple of exceptions when I knew the dub was good, e.g. Cowboy Bebop in English (although I watched it in Japanese first) and Oban Star Races in Polish.

Latin american spanish dubs are full of translation mistakes and the acting is shit. Of course I watch everything in English. I might watch older cartoons in Spanish for the nostalgia.

>Most Disney feature film dubs are 10/10 though, and just as good if not better than the originals.

This is true

Spanish Latin dubs quality have been in downhill since a few years ago, so I stopped watching them. Stuff like GF, SU, Star vs, AT dubs doesn't even compare to the quality of the original voices. But kids without English knowledge dig them.
That said, I prefer a lot of old cartoons dub over the original voices. The Simpsons, old Spongebob, Dexter lab, most of Nicktoons, some Disney movies and so.

>But then they decided to change the voices of the main cast, and if you ask me the show died as soon as they did that
In retrospective, it's a perfect way to divide old and new Simpsons.

I'm French and I tend to watch dub because we have some really good one (the Simpson, Archer...) and also because english VA often use higher pitched voice that I find unpleasant .

>editing out that gay gem

Why does Steven Universe air in the UK?
All the gems are gay!

Ukrainian dub IS pretty great. Shows like CatDog or Angry Beavers that were at best "alright" in the West became cult classics.

Also gonna note Russian dubs of Disney shows like Duck Tales, Tailspin and Chip&Dale, the latter getting a literal cult.

Damn, I don't even know what he's saying, but this Kuzco sounds a lot better than the original.

This reminds me that a dub/voice over, can really make or break a show.

I watched Drawn Together in German once.
It was pretty good, even though I didn't know what they were saying.

I enjoy French dubs a lot.
I haven't really watched a cartoon in French in a long time, but I watched Pan's Labyrinth in French and I thought it was really good (kind of have a hard time watching Pan's Labyrinth in it's original language because of it).

>ancient Aztec
>not getting them on superior ancient Mayan
You know? Aliens speak speak ancient Mayan.

just like with my animeme i go with the original dub and since i know english i dont need no sub

i only make exceptions if the spanish dub is exceptionally good, like with Adventure Time, i made the same exception with Cowboy Bebop, the english dub was pretty good

I'm not from LA but why exactly has the dub quality gone down exactly?

I started watching a popular series that was not being dubbed with subs in my language. Luckily, that series was pretty big at the time and the fansub was decent and active.
When I got used to listening the characters talking in English, I started to watch series with English subtitles.
About half a year after that I found myself watching series in English with no subtitles at all.

I still try to get my movies or series because I'm always underestimating how much I'll be able to understand.
Normally I tend to miss like 2-4 words per episode, and maybe a set phrase or expression that I don't know.

At this point I can understand almost everything in a casual conversation, but I have 0 practice talking myself, so I sound like a retard.

>I still try to get my movies or series
with English subtitles*

I take a shit in jars after I watch an episode and bottle them up. Whenever I want to rewatch an episode I open a jar and inhale deeply. When I do this I can remember the episode perfectly and can replay it in my head. Each smell is distinked and correlates with a certain episode.

The Mexican dub industry has taken a dump after some companies left the business, most of the timeless voices are too old and the new VA doesn't live up to the expectation. That country was pretty much the sail flag of LA dubs, but now Argentinian dubs are increasing. Also Venezuelan dubs, but most of them are of mediocre quality.
And for some reason, recently a lot of dubs has privileged literal translations over adaptations.

I can read most Spanish but I have absolutely no idea what that says.

First language: Spanish
Second language: English
It changed over time
>Spanish dub
>English audio with spanish subs
Nowadays, I usually watch them in the following two formats
>english with regular english subtitles
>english with no subtitles at all

Fun fact, when it comes to watching shows to learn English the Simpsons is the second most common show used. First is Friends.

New companies came, did some adjustments and by adjustments I mean that they fired and banned a lot of the old VAs because they didn't liked the new contracts, instead of reaching an agreement, they for example, fired the entire simpsons cast and replaced them with lame sound-alikes, when the new dragon ball came, they promised they would bring in the original voices of the entire cast, yet they changed trunks voice, I met the original VA of trunks, she said that when she contacted the company they would not let her in, even after she offered to do the job for free, new dubbing companies are shit

>when your country's dub sounds exactly like the original VAs just speaking a different language

No points if it's actually the same actors. But I love when localization teams put in the extra effort to find similar voices.

its """"spanish"""" from spain

>wah! I'm starving!, If I don't eat anything right now, I will go on a tantrum
what she means is that she is hungry and will go mad if she doesn't eats anything right now, stupid spaniards with their stupid spanish

>mexican dubs of anime used to be good
>now they hire only shitty new VAs and use fansubbers' translations instead of translating shit themselves

so does anyone else see murderface in mustached ruby?

>when the new dragon ball came, they promised they would bring in the original voices of the entire cast
They did it for the new movies. Don't know about Super

Fuck South American VAs and youtube people.

What do you watch if you want to learn Spanish?

I watch almost everything in English but I can't stand some shows/characters. Like I don't like Aku's original voice. He sound lame compared to Latin Aku. Latin Aku sound like a fucking god

youtube.com/watch?v=_ZLAZQOylP4

>Stuff like GF, SU, Star vs, AT dubs doesn't even compare to the quality of the original voices
I beg to differ. The main casts of GF and StarVS are pretty good. Actually in some aspects the dub is better. Dipper, Mabel and Star sound like actual kids/teenagers instead of really old people. Bill and Ford are the only shitty voices in GF.

AT season 1-2 got a really good dub too. The latin opening sound better than the original

we went from "God Tier" to "Even Miami can do better"

The Simpsons

youtube.com/watch?v=LJ1U-ygyY6o

I actually like Dipper's voice, but some stuff in the translations are children level of mistakes, and it's consistently over the series.
The same complain I have for AT and how they "mexicanify" some lines.

They really hit rock bottom. Now Venezuelan dubs are flourishing because they are willing to work for some toilet paper over some lines. Even when they're the same 4 voices over again.

I always watch in english, since it's how the original piece of "artwork" was made.

Watching the regional dub is just something peripheric, it's only an addition to the original show, you watch it just because you either like the whole dubbing culture thing, or because it adds rewatchability.

You know what I hate? When they use the adapted name of a character in an episode, and then a few seasons later they use the original name. Fuck that shit And then they use the european spanish name

This. Argie dubs work for adult movies/vidya, but mexicans are the way to go for cartoons/anime.
Argentina dubs seems really professional but they lack the cartoony accent that patrician mexican dubbers had. Every mexican voice from the golden age of dubbing had a feeling within, something they could choose and actually increase the personality of a dubbed character.

Usually I watchthe english original, but watch some older shows in my native language for the nostalgia

Some stuff just has a horrible voice cast like How to train your Dragon so I watch the dub

Spain has an unified and solid system. American spanish dub studios moves from company to company, even moving to other countries, and cultural laws about dubs are different in each country

Is dubbing outside of Latinamerica even lucrative?

Dutch dubs are awful.

SEAman here. We've always gone straight for English first for a long time (partly because the country I'm in is a former British colony). But there has been a continuing trend of channels giving optional Malay dubs ever since one rural demographic-oriented free-to-air channel got launched in 2006 with a full Malay-language Nickelodeon segment as its selling point.

Quality varies from episode to episode, some characters even change their DVAs at some point.
>Danny Fenton sounds way more womanly in the last part of "Phantom Planet" than in the rest of DP;
>Sandy Cheeks in "Pranks a Lot" is more higher pitched than the rest of her appearances in SpongeBob
Songs sung are left untouched (What's the difference when we've English swarming on the local radio anyway).

Language-wise, it can range from smooth [e.g attempts at translating certain SpongeBob wordplay] to tolerable to glaring in error [remembered cringing very hard at dubbed Catdog literally translating "the last straw" and "running out of air"].

Apparently recent Cartoon Network dubs tend to be of higher quality, so I heard...I haven't the time nor the money to check though (because satellite TV's kinda bit costly now).

Can't think of many cartoons I've tried where this is an actual choice but I like to go with the original language, like I started Wakfu and I've been watching it in French.

Forgot words, should be:
> as one of its selling points.

I ain't gonna delete and repost again.

I mean, obviously latam is big deal, but normies always are going to watch the popcorn movies in their own language, that alone should be enough for every country in the world.

Whit englsh subs user, they are always more accurate and fast with the releases.

S1 Bill was pretty much identical to Hirsh's version. They dropped the ball hard on season 2.

Actual Russian here.
I watch most of the Sup Forums material in English, with English subs. Most of the translations are meh, official dub VAs are often bad, and my curiosity would kill me if I had to wait 2-3 months for new episodes to be translated.

Disney/Pixar animated movies are an exception, they are usually well dubbed.

I'm sure chinese, japanese, indian or arabic dubs are doing fine

i know enough Japanese to notice when the subs are wrong. it's come to the point where i'l looking into Japanese classes, and i didn't think i was particularly into anime.

I hear that, Disney may be a horrifyingly monopolistic empire but they do good work with stuff like that.

Korean here. A cartoon I like We Bare Bears is much better in the Korean dub I feel, I didn't like the English voices as much

I'm Spanish and I watch cartoons in their original language because most translations take a very long time to come out. Star vs FOE for example took a hole year.
Some channels here are also prone to censor some parts, for example, Jake wasn't shown puking into the bathtub back in Jake the Dog.

Most of our dubs are of pretty good quality; the Simpsons' is fucking legendary around here.
As are most of the Disney movies.

Modern cartoons are okay, some of them are even great, but for the most part I prefer sticking to the original dub because they're usually the best and it's better to interact with the online community because they are more likely to have heard the original.

how do you measure profit in dubbing tho?
Latam might have a lot of countries for the same dub but i think they are still less people than asian countries. Even some europeans i think