So, Sup Forums, which run was his best?

So, Sup Forums, which run was his best?
Which run was his worst?
When will we get at least a decent new run?
I want brutal truth and nothing else.

Before anyone says JMS, no JMS is not the greatest. its ok , but not the best.

De Matteis.

Which is the best then?

>So, Sup Forums, which run was his best?
Considering that I'm most familiar with current Spidey and don't have much experience with his earlier stories, I'd say his best run was either Millar's Ultimate Knights Spider-Man or JMS entire run. IT showed a level of growth and self-reflection that other Spidey comics scratch the surface of.
>Which run was his worst?
Slott. Which isn't to say his is the least enjoyabe to read, but in terms of growth and development for Peter he flushed all hopes of a realistic character down the drain with every successive story.
>When will we get at least a decent new run?
When Slott dies or sales dip past the acceptable level. Most likely the first.
>I want brutal truth and nothing else.
I did my best. Hope it helps.

Why him of all people?

Actually made me think. I will check all the runs you recommended.

I'd recommend the Millar run. it's only 12 issues and manages to tell a complete story that requires no prior knowledge of Spidey stories (although it certainly helps). It is insanely enjoyable both in terms of characterization (everyone firing on cylinders) as well as plot progression (always moving at a brisk pace).

Lee/Ditko, followed by Roger Stern

To this day I still want to know which Marvel girl Electro wanted to fuck.

He wanted fat Fisk dick all along, don`t delude yourself, user.

Assuming it was a female.
I vote She Hulk.

>So, Sup Forums, which run was his best?
Ditko, not even a meme. I'm not even the kind of guy who thinks Kirby was best on Cap or Finger was best on Batman, but Ditko Spider-Man was the perfect storm.

>Which run was his worst?
Depends on what you find worse, boring shit that spins its wheels for just a few years but produces such a glut of content that's densely packed and a bitch to read, or character assassination disguised as boring garbage that's quick and easy to read and spread out over nearly a decade.

90's Spidey or Slott's run.

>When will we get at least a decent new run?
As soon as someone who gives a fuck about telling fun stories instead of muh canon gets on ASM. There's good Spider-Man stories outside of that, but I know you're asking about ASM in particular.

Spider-Girl, Loves Mary Jane, Marvel Adventures, Blue, Fever, McFarlane's, David's Friendly Neighborhood, Busiek's Untold tales

Anyone got any comfy Sipder-Man the family man recs? I'm really loving RWV but it's all I've read of him.

David Michelinie
His stuff had a very dark and urgent feel and he always gave the supporting cast good development. Not just in Spidey but everything he works on. During the 80s Marvel started shifting the focus around with the various Spider books starting with his work on 'Web of' and then 'Amazing'.
Amazing started getting a little more wacky with Tod McFarlane and Eric Larsen coming in (not that it was ever serious) so DM moved over to Spectacular, which then started having an almost psychological thriller vibe to it.

JM DeMatteis and David Michelinie are fucking vital to the Spider-Man mythos but you rarely see their name used as a reference

For all the shit the 90s gets, Todd McFarlane had a damn good run on his runs, both in Amazing and mostly in the "adjectivless" book.
Erik Larsen's time on Amazing is a damn good ride too.

There is a very visible and obvious drop in quality when that group of guys leaves to start Image, though.

Stern's run is phenomenal. It's a perfect continuation of the Ditko/Lee stuff.

Not only was Roger Stern run on Amazing good but he had been on Spectacular for EIGHTEEN years prior.

That's the thing about Spider-Man. There are very few short arcs that you could call classics but the various titles have decade long runs of sheer goodness with just relatively short spurts of bad in between.
The bad parts ARE the well known arcs for that very reason

THIS
my man.

Sadly that's also one of the reasons it's so overlooked especially by Daredevil or Batman fags

Romita Sr and Ditko era are kind of tied for me.
Conway/Andru after that, and then Stern.
It's hard to pick. I like MTU, as well.

Stern just narrowly beats out the Ditko/Lee stuff for the best run in Spidey history. Conway coming in 3rd.

Ditko and Lee were the founders, they spun fresh idea after fresh idea just packing the early issues with characters and themes...but it was very simple stuff. It benefitted from being the trailblazer, not necessarily because it was so well crafted. Stern did what few though possible in the 80's he resurrected a stagnant title by taking the pieces already established and polished them to a perfect shine while injecting new themes. Imagine that; creating new ideas that blend and respect what came before it! He's responsible for the best mystery in Spidey history with the Hobgoblin. He also created the awe inspiring Juggernaut story, the underrated Mr Hyde story and timeless "the kid who collects Spider-Man."

JMS was a mixed bag, some good points dragged down by some of the worst shit imaginable (sins past). Late 90's was garbage but Slott is consistently (and endlessly) mediocre. Worst thing about Slott is that he occasionally has a good idea...then he completely fumbles the execution.

and that right there is like 250 straight issues of comic books mayne. Read dat shit yall

Damn, I gotta read the shit out of these runs. Let the Spiderathon commence.

what's the single best issue?

Best single issue...damn, that's a tough question because most of the "classic" stories were minimum 2 issues (Death of Gwen Stacy, Kraven's Last Hunt, If This Be My Destiny...!, The Master Planner, etc.)

As far as singles:
1. ASM #248 "The Kid Who Collects Spider-Man
2. ASM #50 "Spider-Man No More"
3. Spec #200 "Best of Enemies"
4. ASM #90 "And Death Shall Come"
5. ASM #267 "The Commuter Cometh"

This was my first issue and it's what got me hooked. It's a solid issue of Spidey getting utterly outclassed and getting his ass beat and that's when the character shines.

how about in random Spider-runs like or Web of, etc...

I really liked that Jenkins issue someone storytimed yesterday or the day before