So the original trilogy had an overarching theme. In ANH, the Jedi are presumed gone and the Empire reigns supreme...

So the original trilogy had an overarching theme. In ANH, the Jedi are presumed gone and the Empire reigns supreme. Then, Obi-wan reemerges and trains Luke, who strikes a deadly blow to the Empire. In ESB, Luke learns more about the Jedi, but the villain of the story is fleshed out and "strikes back". Finally, in RotJ we have our resolution from the previous two films in an empic clash between father and son and the fate of the galaxy.

What exactly is the theme of these new movies? TFA and TLJ seem completely disjointed.

I really have no idea what the overarching story of this trilogy is supposed to be. People were giving TFA a pass because it's "setting up a new story" and were looking to TLJ to get things going.

...But then absolutely nothing happens in TLJ. It starts with the resistance fleeing, and ends with the resistance fleeing. The only thing that's different is that we have less characters and questions to worry about, essentially wiping the slate clean and setting up the next film to be a standalone movie.

Like what the hell? Did we really need two movies to set up a plot that's going to entirely take place in the final part?

>Like what the hell? Did we really need two movies to set up a plot that's going to entirely take place in the final part?
How else are we going to get Episode 11-13? I'm assuming the next episode will be after a timeskip.

>I'm assuming the next episode will be after a timeskip.
Most likely. It's also the least awkward way to kill Leia off I could think of.

Kathleen Kennedy is an idiot who doesn't know what she's doing. I'm normally all for giving a writer/director tons of creative control but Rian Johnson shit all over TFA's ending and it didn't leave much room for a sequel. You can argue TLJ works as a stand-alone film but if you look at it as the middle part of a larger story it's a total mess. I wouldn't be surprised if Disney fires Kathleen if that Han Solo flick underperforms.

The previous director of TLJ was cut off due to "creative differences" with Kathleen.

Hold on, Rian Johnson wasn't her first pick? Who was originally going to direct TLJ?

Did the original trilogy actually have a theme, though? What you've provided is a plot summary, not a theme.

I think OP's point is the original trilogy had an overarching story.

The only way to save Star Wars is by killing it. Rian Johnson understands this.

If that was his intent then he's a genius.

I honestly dont even understand what the main plot of TLJ is supposed to be. Like....what do the characters actually want, what are they hoping to achieve?

Why?

user, you know we can't really judge TLJ's box office until we see how it does in its second week. Disney want it to make AT LEAST 1.5 billion and they'll be really fucking mad at Kathleen if it fails to hit that benchmark. If both TLJ and Han Solo underperform they might seriously consider firing her.

"They lit a spark"
So the rebel allies will answer and they will beat Sauron

>muh opening

i see you haven't seen how little money it made over the weekend

They hoped to run away. That was the entire plot of the movie.

Now, why they couldn't have done this by splitting up and jumping in different directions is beyond me.

Why they were running out of fuel after only a few hours of flight is beyond me.

Why anything happened in the movie the way it did is beyond me...

Remember how Batman v Superman had a massive opening weekend? Remember how it ended up making less than a billion? Wait and see before you start saying "IT'S A HUGE HIT! KATHLEEN DINDU NUFFIN!"

This is the main issue (amongst MILLIONS of other large issues)....what does Rey want??? What is she looking to achieve??? Why should we give a fuck???

What does Kylo Ren want?? How does this all tie into the previous 6 films in the Skywalker Saga??

It's like Kathleen Kennedy thought she could get away with throwing a plotless, soulless and utterly glib facsimile of a film at us and we wouldn't notice. She has incredible contempt for her audience

>I'm assuming the next episode will be after a timeskip.

That really would be the best way to drive home just how insignificant TLJ's plot was. Who cares if the entire resistance fleet can fit inside the Falcon when they made it very clear that they have "allies all over the galaxy". It'll be back to pre-TLJ capacity at the beginning of ep 9 for sure.

Id actually prefer that the Resistance be gone.

Set up new factions and a new underlying conflict. The resistance was lame. Kylo won. He's the ruler of the galaxy.

correct me if i'm wrong, but isn't jj Abrams directing episode 9 ?

The duality of Kylo and Rey

The theme is the redemption of Vader and the return of the jedi.