The Shawshank Redemption

So....how exactly did Andy's tunnel go unnoticed by the guards for like twenty years? It's established that the guards do routine searches of everyone's room and turns the whole room upside down in search of contraband.

Am I supposed to believe that in twenty years no guard would think to take down the poster and see the giant tunnel leading to the sewer pipe?

And it's dumb, because the rest of the movie is fairly realistic. It's not over-the-top, so this kind of kills my suspense of disbelief

Bump

Special treatment for years, the odd part is when he actually got in the whole and nobody inspected his cell

you have to consider the reason he was sitting in the hole. the warden knew andy did nothing wrong, for what reason would he search his cell

Good point, but there are protocols to follow

There are other inmates going through his shit, you think he is gone for a month and nobody goes through his shit?

>but there are protocols to follow
the warden chooses the cells that get inspected, you can see that in the movie.
>There are other inmates going through his shit, you think he is gone for a month and nobody goes through his shit?
really?

The true question you should be asking is what he was digging through. No wall in the prison was thick enough to take twenty years to dig through. He should have just tunneled into another room

He was digging through the wall with a tiny pickaxe, did you watch the movie?

He was digging with a tiny rock hammer, that no doubt got rusted and blunt over the years. I'd like to see you accomplish it if you only have once a night to do it

Why WOULD they take down the poster, to check for holes? That would never occur to anyone unless they'd read or watched this particular story.

Not specifically to check for a hole, but just to see if there's anything on the wall behind it or anything stuck to the poster

>that no doubt got rusted and blunt over the years
He'd regularly replace it, he smuggled a roll of cash into the prison by hiding it in his ass, and Red could get stuff in from outside, like the hammer and the Rita Hayworth poster.

The wall he dug through was near fucking 15 feet thick

They left him alone becaue he was valuable, duh.

>hang picture on wall
>hide toothbrush shiv behind it
Do you even prison brah?

More to the point, why does Red forgive Andy never cutting him in on the escape?

How would that work? Do you think the guards wouldn't notice 1 empty cell and 2 people sharing the one next to it when they lock them up for the night?

How would he? Only chance is at night and he was in his cell alone. Didn't Red get released soon after? Better to get out the right way rather than be a fugitive like Andy.

He could only dig small amounts a night. Also he couldn't dig so much that he couldn't dispose of the dirt.

Why not just eat the dirt? Or you know flush it?

It's crazy how this is the #1 rated movie on IMDB. It's serviceable but not a masterpiece.

it's popular among many demographics unlike e.g action or sci-fi films

Help a possible brainlet, I've always wondered how he got the poster back on the wall over the hole fine after he went into the hole? I mean I guess I don't know how they hanged posters back then, but to have all 4 corners down over it after getting into the hole never made sense to me.

>It truly was a Shawshank redemption

As long as the top is attached it will fall into place. Secure one bottom corner with gum once inside the hole if you want.

It's a damn conspiracy and everyone's in on it!
even her...

It doesn't.

I don't think the bottom was taped.

He taped the top corners before going in

Most prison break movies have a way for this to happen, and it's a fictional movie, so it could have been written that way if King etc. had wanted. It's not as if the method used is remotely plausible, so a little more contrivance could have ended up with something better than Red being pleased for the guy just because, then conveniently getting let out of jail by authorial fiat rather than any form of logic a few minutes later so he can go and slobber Andy's cock some more on the beach.

Wow.

I don't know if you remember but Andy was cooking the books for the warden and all of the prison guards.

They gave him special privileges because he was laundering money for them. He wasn't supposed to have the poster in the first place, but they let him keep it anyway.

They establish a good bit of time passes from the escape to Red's release.

Not much, though. And hardly any on screen.

There was enough tension for the warden to make holes in it though when he threw the rock and then put his arm through. If the bottom wasn't sealed, wouldn't his arm and the rocked just collapsed the bottom into the hole? Not make holes in the poster?

Even then, doesn't the gum or sticky thing need to have some force applied to stick? Force that would be very hard to apply while not only in the hole, but in the hole with your head and arms facing the opposite way?

In the book its explained that it is shit tier concrete that would crumble easily if picked at.

Does anyone have the webm of the black guy fucking that white guy who’s like screaming or whatever on the floor? Might have been noncon or something but he was like crying I think

you're an idiot.

At least a year. Considering 30 passes during the previous 2 hours, it's not out of order.

No, I'm just paying attention to what I watch, you should try it.

If the vents caused positive pressure in the room, it would be sealed without tape.

It's completely out of order, especially the way it's framed as his now being "ready". So the guys running the system are just scumbags when it's Andy who's dealing with them, but they become God's own recording angels when it's Red whose future has to be decided? Bullshit.

Why is it that Red doesn't get released until after Andy's escape? Contrivance.

My qualm is with the thickness of the wall, not the tunneling; have you read my posts?

>top corners in place securely
>climb in hole
>chew and apply wet sticky gum to one bottom corner of poster
>reach hand under bottom and apply pressure to gummy corner sticking it to wall
>carefully slink hand back in
>final unsecured corner rests in place
>escape via shit hole
Now the size of the hole is the biggest concern with if or not he has enough space to turn around. If not then we can safely assume he's comfortable crawling backwards as he would have had to while he was digging it in the first place.

Your line of reasoning really is idiotic. First you ask why Red wasn't upset, then you continue the argument by asking why the author didn't write it differently.

>Why is it that Red doesn't get released until after Andy's escape?

His answer to the parole board stopped being the typical shit that every inmate spews. Red gave up after Andy left.

The prison was built into a mountain. He was digging through 15 feet of solid natural rock.

Also I think it was implied that with Andy revealing all the shit going on + all that time passing, some corruption would've been weeded out of the parole board as well as the prison itself.

Yes, it was easy to dig through because the concrete sucked ass.

I see.I guess. Don't know enough about vents in rooms and pressure to comment.

Sounds kind of perfect, but I guess it is a movie/story.

>murder wife and cucker
>plead not guilty and go to prison
>break out of jail because warden is a jerk
They just shoot fucking anything Steven King writes.

but he didn't murder them

he didn't kill her.

Because Andy was helping the warden get rich. The warden wanted Andy to feel like he had it going well. The warden even looks at the poster and says he doesn't approve of it, but let's andy keep it up as a gift.

It even says it in the movie.

Are you retarded? Like retarded or so retarded that you are pretending to be retarded but everyone just thinks you are retarded and we are all shitting on you for fun but you are too retarded to notice?

did you even watch the movie?

what are they looking at?

did you? Why the fuck did you think the warden kill the guy?

You are a moron.

he didn't kill him, he was trying to escape.

Did you not watch the fucking movie? You know the guy Dufresne was teaching? He had evidence that Dufresne was innocent so the warden killed him to keep him Dufresne from getting out because he was scared he would snitch. Go watch the fucking movie.

suck my cock dude

didnt you read the novella? warden hired the guy to spy on dufresne and gather information. after he was done he was transferred to a different prison.

That is a blatant lie. He moved the guy in the novella because he was going to stand in trail and testify that Dufresne was innocent. The warden never sent anyone to spy on him.

>he was scared he would snitch

No, he wanted him to keep laundering his money.

It was both.

Andy could snitch in prison just as well as outside.

and who would he snitch to when he knows every guard in the damn place is under the pay of the warden?

Also I think he was a judge as well?

He regularly sent out letters.

they were screened. They explained this in the Novella

Novella =/= The movie.

it is not to far of a jump to say he did in the movie as well.