The Ozu Ultimatum

Griffith and Chaplin are considered distillation, but Ozu is distillation taken too far to the point of oversimplification. Every decision in an Ozu work is mathematically contrived under the false pretense of being a close approximation to life and repeated ad infinitum to the point of didactic lull, there are no detours, no unpredictability, even his contrapuntal formal decisions are contrived in the same manner. Ozu, a known loner and outcast, designs his world's viewpoint in the same way similar loners and outcasts view. He scripted his characters as mouthpieces to tell you the world is this (his) way all the way to his deathbed, and he died that same loner and outcast never learning that it wasn't.

For me, it's Tarkovsky. The master of us all. The greatest director to ever live. I would uncover my head and kneel before his tomb.

Lolz look this thread

Found the Ozu soyboy. Capeshitters would be the same demographic

What moron wrote this?

Just look at Ozu's pic. Look how he hides his face (insecurity), look how he hides his insecurity with a slight smirk (disguise). Look at how he has absolutely no tonal range in his headshot (a similarity in his works)

The smirk on Ozu's pic isn't a conventional smirk. It's a self-defeated smirk, a self-effacing smirk, an unconfident smirk. A smirk that communicates soft exterior, soft personality, soft opinions. The smirk of a soyboy.

Hey its just movies, crybaby. Do you think you're cult bc you watch old movies?

>Soyboy

The only people that enjoy Ozu are the same loners, outcasts, and losers that share his soft worldview

Japanese contemplative depth vs American pretentious affectation

There is nothing contemplative in an Ozu flick. Griffith's sunplays may borrow narrative devices, but overtly, they are anything but. They move and glisten like a flowing river, and are the hallmark of true observation. His genius beckons the fusion of all pre-modernist notions of art with gallant leaps into the future of man's conquest for truth. What Griffith knew inherently was that any deluge of psychology in art is mere impressionable worldview imposed on fictional characters and can be nothing more. What Griffith exudes is the peak of observation. Griffith did not make thought, he photographed thought.

>There is nothing contemplative in an Ozu flick.
turn on your brain, it seems to be off or malfunctioning.

>stare at camera
>spout moral of story
>aesthetially steal from silent films
There is no contemplation in Ozu, you like being coddled and don't have any friends

>There is nothing contemplative in an Ozu flick.
how else would you describe the mood of his films? since the rest of your post has nothing to do with your first statement

generational conflict and family are not bold themes, and none of the regurgitated banalities in Ozu's flicks shed any insight that can't already be expunged from life itself and other prior works

>stare at camera
>spout moral of story
even if this was true, which it isn't, Griffith films are just as guilty of it.

I can see Ozu being able to adapt evangelion. Agree?

For me it's Mizoguchi

>Griffith films are just as guilty of it
Ignoring the notion that he ever made a "film", what is Birth about? What is its message?

>generational conflict and family
reductionist rhetoric won't get you anywhere, assuming you're purposely being retarded.

>expunged

Why do you people do this? Don't. Use. Words. You. Don't. Know. The. Meaning. Of.

he already did, it's called Gurren Lagann

How can we defeat the Griffithposter menace?

>reductionist
Hard to reduce when there's nothing there. If he was going to script a story, he should've put forth the effort in making it actually good

>aesthetially steal from silent films
he made silent films
>you like being coddled and don't have any friends
the projection is strong

How interesting it might be if the guys who coordinate to do these empty banter threads about Ozu, Griffith and others could be bothered to have a real discussion about them. There are hundreds of people here who don't know how to be serious, and it would be good for people to try to help them.

>projection
>mood
Both of you crave theme park rides and faux social interaction. See here You do not seek art.

metaposting is shitposting, newfaggot

>Hard to reduce when there's nothing there.
protip: the art you consume is nothing but a reflection of yourself. I can't expect somebody who uses buzzwords like soyboy etc. to have much to reflect with.

>ozu is for antisocial people griffith is for chads like me
i guarantee you'll be posting here on christmas eve you faggot

>he made silent films
All shit. None that can compare to the greats

Why are asians incapable of true empathy?

I've been here for years, and have tried to sustain real discussions about serious filmmakers. These threads are masturbatory for the people involved, and obviously pre-planned on a discord, so what's the point?

>Japanese films
>depth
Philistine weeb brainlet detected

This.

Why was “The Taste of Mackerel Pike” retitled in America as “An Autumn Afternoon” (singular) if it actually takes place over several different days and nights (plural)?

DEFEND THIS.

>it's a westerner fails to understand Ozu's use of closeness in relation to the culture episode
This certainly gets replayed a lot, please at least pretend to have a real point next time.

>buzzword projection braaap buzzword
Verbal diarrhea. I've heard of people with scant vocabularies but never seen someone with a scat one before

Weak bantz
Poor phrasing

>giving a fuck about shitty japs
1 nuke wasn't enough

>stare at camera
>spout moral of story
>even if this was true, which it isn't
literally what, nigger?