This is their most interesting review

There is a sense of genuine mourning and confusion about what they saw. To them, there is literally nowhere Star Wars can go.

youtube.com/watch?v=L9hwGZFPSmw

It ends on a darker note, just like in Empire.

This time it's just meta

It's also interesting to see how far their heads are stuck up their asses regarding defending TFA ("Rey's not a Mary Sue!", "It was ok for them to copy/paste ANH!", etc)

I agree with all of this. I really loved this review and share most of their opinions, but I'm completely fucking baffled by them defending TFA.

At one point in the beginning, Jay even goes "that's what the first movie was supposed to be" defending the 90% rip-off that that movie was. I almost turned off the fucking review but it got much better after that.

>MUH MAURY STUUUUUUUU *farts*

these lazy fucks think the star wars universe is limited only because they themselves are limited.

Yet they still defend the movie.

Can someone please post the edited version of Luke licking the alien manatee thing's nipple (looked like Tim and Eric animation).

Yes, that's exactly what Jay did, and that's not an argument.

>jay being a disney shill and desperately trying to defend the shitty parts while the other two clearly tell it how it is
Fucking hate that faggot so much.

He is a rapist.

They need to just pull a Jojo and have the villain reset the entire universe.

The ewok films are low budget, but show that the star wars galaxy can have small interesting things that are not related to tired battles for the galaxy.

there is alot that could be done in the Star Wars Universe if they can get away from the Empire vs Rebels, or repackaged as First Order vs Resistance.

I recommend more getting lost in the wilderness that was in the OT, such as the Dune Sea, the wilderness of Hoth, the Wilderness of Dagobah, the wilderness of Endor.

I say there is potential, but Lucasfilm seems currently stuck.

>sense of genuine mourning
mourning all of the shekels they lost because of fandango maybe

to be honest Ive watched it twice and I still don't know how they felt about the movie

Say is there a reason those films cannot go into politics?

Film 7: Oh, you know. The remenants of the empire are in a cold war with the republic.

Film 8: They used the momentum from destroying those core stars to attack and also convince more systems to follow them.

I see their point though. Rogue One tried to do something different. Yeah, it was part of the Disney soulless cash grab system, but it was a one off with a ragtag group of multiracial hooligans playing out a sort of heist plot with overtones of the original Battlefronts campaign. And everyone shrugged their shoulders at it.

The OT was your typical adventure tale with enough interesting worldbuilding and fancy window dressing to cultivate a massive fan base out of thin air. The expectations have been set. Simple plot, some lightsabering, and likeable characters.

The prequels were so badly mishandled its hard to tell what could work in better movies, but "straight from historical cliff notes" plots would probably go over dumb audience members heads. TFA was a best of reel and it divided people. Apparently TLJ goes in weird directions and it divided people.

The producers will always try to juggle catering to OT loving [man]children fanboys, hot subgroups of the day, prequelfag apologists, the Chinese audience, and actual kids (who will grow up to be sequel apologists spazzing out on the Cambodian negging forums of the future). They will impart these movies with artificial limitations. Maybe if they keptthe EU as source material, things would be different.

obviously they didnt like it overall but liked some small parts some people are mad because they expected them to shit on it for 40 minutes but thats coming up in the next Plinkett

they just moved on years ago like Mark Hamill said is just a movie

Also could it be, that this film had reshoots to fix it after it tested badly?

Maybe with Rey actually turning? Or both leaning to the other side and meeting in the middle?

They clearly hate it except for Jay but they pulled a Rian and subverted expectations

>at least Yoda was a puppet this time

Goddamnit. I hate that fans like this exist and are actually the ones being listened to. They're so damn hung up on the medium that they really don't want anything to change even if we have more convincing ways of portraying a little green alien man now. I think that's also why these movies feel so small scale now. They're stylistically bound to a kind of 70s/80s sci-fi film making where you probably wouldn't have been able to portray something like The Battle of Hoth with more than a few speeders and AT-ATs. We could technically have legions of them now, but we only had something like 8 AT-ATs in TLJ because it had to feel like The Battle of Hoth. Consider the kind of numbers we've seen in comparable real life conflicts. In The Battle of Kursk in WWII something like 6000+ tanks were destroyed. Why should clashes between factions vying for control of the galaxy feel so much less significant than that?

Are they idiots? Yoda never burnt any books and he was acting like he did in ESB because he was testing look and mindfucking him and knowing Rey stole the books and they are safe.

Luke was being a dick and wanting to burn the books so Yoda came down and was a dick to Luke

Mike needs to be stopped. He changed his social media to this and I seriously believe that he's losing his mind.

>They're stylistically bound to a kind of 70s/80s sci-fi film making where you probably wouldn't have been able to portray something like The Battle of Hoth with more than a few speeders and AT-ATs

This is inherently why these movies will never work. People still remember and watch everything prior and it creates this cognitive dissonance. They need to reset completely, pick a new set of characters entirely, or stop.

That should probably have been 2000+tanks, but the point stands. This isn't supposed to be Star Skirmishes. At least the prequels got that right with stuff like The Battle of Geonosis.

>Mike's middle-eastern alter ego "Abdul Jabar Adbul" loves life, his real western personality hates life and wants to end it

pottery

RLM has repeatedly said great things about CGI.

The core of the problem with CGI in the prequels seemed more like the actors had no idea what they were supposed to be doing. It's just a tool that can be used poorly in some cases.

>there is literally nowhere Star Wars can go

a lot of writers felt that way about writing for Superman, but it's wrong. Truth is no one is really allowed to open up the can of Star Wars, anyone who fucks it up gets turned away. Disney has to keep the seal tight, with all the original packaging.

I'm just glad that TLJ is making people realize that there is nothing left to do in this universe.

Wheres the test in being a retarded swamp person again? The whole point was Yoda was pretending to be someone else in ESB. Why do it here?

I watched it once fully, started the second watch and like 60% in realized that the words that come out of their mouths aren't fucking helping. They're just saying things. I'm not hearing a single concrete opinion. Is it good or is it bad? "It's complicated". No it's not. The correct answer is bad, don't watch, don't reward the Mouse. You spent forty minutes complaining about it, how can you possibly have any doubt here?

There is nowhere for Star Wars to go.

The politics wasnt't even that bad of a part of the prequels. Disney is just fucking retarded.

how do we know retarded swamp person wasn't the real yoda and luke's mule-headed seriousness didn't bully him into no fun allowed?

i like to think if luke was a bit more of a party boy he could have completed his training and had a good time with the "cool cruiser of the swamp", yoda

yeah, the whole extended universe of stories never happened. stories have nowhere to go if you're an idiot and you can't write.

They said something similar with Rogue One

They canonically didn't.

The Revenant in Space.

>canon

i would break your back for talking nerd shit to me.

:3c

:3c

nice.

Yeah but can't they explain shit a bit? Lot's of people where confused in the last film because of this.

Lol you people are genuinely retarded

Probably their weakest review actually. After forty minutes of hand-wringing they can't even decide if they like it or not. But one thing they know for sure, they're superior to all the losers who care deeply about Star Wars! Haha, fuck those morons! What kind of a manchild cares about a thing!

Yeah I don't know why Jay would say that, it's pretty much a Disney talking point.

TFA was better than this movie. It wasn't great, but TLJ is pretty much a clusterfuck.

this movie is shit, they are just making these postive reviews to ether star wars fags.

This was a positive review? Everything they said was basically "I liked some of the intention, but it didn't work. You already know if you're going to watch it."

To be fair, remaking a New Hope is not a bad thing

Star Wars is not a big, expansive universe. These are three movies from the 70's, and as "different" as the prequels were, they still had shit like the Stormtroopers, Darth Vader, the Emperor, Jango Fett, Slave-1, Obi-Wan, Yoda, Star Destroyers, the precursors to X-Wings, you name it. Take these visual elements away, like they probably will do with this new trilogy and what's left? Nothing. Disney is in a rough spot, if they do things too similar, it's rehashing what we saw 50 years ago, if it's too different, it's no longer Star Wars. Star Wars is a hero's journey story about the Skywalker family, and their fight against the Empire and the Dark Side. You can argue all you want about the expanded universe stuff, but most of the big expanded universe stuff is big because it involves the main characters. If these elements are taken away, or it drifts too far from the main story, it is no longer Star Wars.
I've got a bad feeling about this, anons.

Positive review?Are you retarded?

I agree that it's interesting. I was a bit perturbed about how many people took it as a sign that RLM has lost interest in critiquing movies; or, obviously, that they have started taking bribes from Disney (finally).

I thought it was a comprehensive review, and of better quality than anything they put out within at least the last couple months. Really told me what to think.

Admitting that it's not the worst Star Wars movie ever really isn't much of a defense.

THats not true,I know exactly where are they going:
>kylo builds super weapon
>rey kills kylo
>kylo regrets his crimes before dying

I thought these RLM guys were a meme but that was a good review, at least i agreed with all of it

I really don't understand why like it so much and feel the need to point it out so much

brilliant! Give this man a screen writer cred!

Because they defended it day one and now cannot backtrack, in spite of how clear it's become their fried Gen x brains got blinded by hype.

it's limited because the movies can't get away from Empire vs Rebellion, Lightside vs Darkside, or that the skywalkers are the most important folks ever. Bloody snokes wanted a vader baby FFS!

knowing JJ is doing the next one this is very likely
good lord

Considering the reaction to TLJ, Disney would be stupid to risk again, it's safer movies from here on out

Expect every single mainline movie to be more tightly controlled by a board of writers and everything carefully examined to see if it's "close to the OT enough"

>damn the lightsaber was blue and not green (or whatever)? That took me out of the movie haha
>don't mention Luke fucking Skywalker being a potential child murderer
It was a shill review lads, you should be used to them by now

Basically the new series is trying so hard not to be the Prequels and trying so hard to be like the Originals that they end being nothing but pale imitations without much of their own identity

A sequel trilogy Luke really should be written like Superman. It's surprising Disney isn't rewriting some capeshit plots to fit into Star Wars and are instead rehashing rebels vs empire.

>The same formula is all that Star Wars is and can ever be

I wish Rich would stop beating this dead horse, it makes him sound even more retarded. I mean he's technically right, in that, Disney would never let Star Wars be different from the formula. So sure, technically that's all it is and can ever be.

But you absolutely *can* go off of the formula, the setting isn't some tiny scope like he believes. The only thing holding it back is Disney and committees about what is safe and needs to be in a movie and what audiences will recognize, it's not the setting holding it back.

At the end of Empire was see Rebel fleet. In TLJ they have 20 people and Falcon.

90% of people were okay with New Hope reboot. Episode 8 was the first test and they fucked up more than I ever imagined possible.

I understand this but it's stupid. Star wars unique identity is being a space fantasy universe with magic samurai. Focusing too much on war and large scale battles limits the universe compared to smaller scale stories. If they dropped the power levels, reeled in the scope they could tell interesting and unique stories.

Making a scifi universe about space battles means it has no unique identity, unless you do a character study/ politics focused story (legends of galactic heroes).

SW universe is not limited if you love the setting and want to see new stuff.

The vast majority of SW """fans""" just want laser swords and Sith.

This review was pathetic, this movie fundamentally ruined Luke and they didn't even notice or care.

You think TLJ was original? lmfao

Except Rich does that too
>i can't say it's terrible
>it's sporadically interesting
And Mike concludes by saying "it's complicated"

the thing is Star Wars isn't Star Trek. It's myth set in a sci-fi fantasy movie. When the hero's quest has done it's arc, it's over. The Empire, the dark father, the baddies, the friends, etc... exist as they do in every myth to help the hero accomplish their task and complete the circle.

Star Trek is a futuristic show about exploration and intergalatic politics so there is always a story out there that doesn't have to involve the original crew.

Rich fucks little boys.

>mfw haven't seen TFA, R1 or TLJ
Fuck disney.

>shitting on Star Wars when it's now conveniently cool to do so
>interesting
Yeah nah this review more than anything proved they're nothing but a bunch of hacks who play it safe.

they might be saving that for the plinkett review - as it is there were so many screw ups in the film to discuss

I wonder if they could get away with a Seinfeld style comedy in the Star Wars setting.

>they didn't outright say it's a bad movie
>they didn't mention the character assasination of Luke, the main reason fans all around the world and trashing this piece of crap (we all know how extremely forgiving this fanbase is)
How does it feel to know your internet friends are confirmed Disney shills, Sup Forums? Must suck, right?

Are you dumb? He was saying he saw the force trick coming because the Luke didn't have a blue saber anymore

Except at least Rich and Jay openly say they liked how Luke was handled but argued the execution could've been better. The only characterization problem they had was Yoda acting too silly

>"fans"
Because what makes SW universe so interesting is the Force and Jedis. It is also the vast majority of is own universe history. Rebel vs Empire is just a tiny note in a long history of a galaxy.

Hell, if you want do the rebels vs empire that bad, you can actually do it with an old republic plot. It is canon that the Sith ruled the galaxy once

the movie was bad because cultural marxism

They must be pretty terrible shills considering Mike all but fucking trashed it about halfway through the review. And please don't give me that shit about how the prequels are in any way more watchable than the sequels.

the main dude said it was a bad movie when he talked about thinking he was in a dream when he was watching it

Mike was clearly disappointed but had to hide it because Jay and Rich liked the Bold New Contrarian Direction(tm) and just had problems with technical execution. Mike is the only one going "Was that a bad dream? It was really bad. Was that a joke?" while Jay and Rich constantly drop "But I liked that".

Must be hard being Mike.

Yeah, the limiting factor isn't some inherent sparseness of the material, it's that the people making the big budget material aren't willing to risk going outside of the proven archetypes and images.

Some of the comics were pretty good about telling different kinds of stories in the setting. I've always liked this one that's basically just Zulu with a backwater Imperial garrison.

Pewdiepie already told how it is, no need to shill these disney shills here.

For one, they could make some kino bounty hunter movies. The SW universe is a setting. They could easily get creative and inject different genres into the series with unique scenarios and new characters. Not everyone needs to be a jedi or a sith. Of course, being creative means taking risks and that's something Disney prefers to avoid. In order to take smart calculated risks, Disney would also need to care about the art which they don't.

Show me another HitB episode where they don't say if they recommend the movie or not. I'll wait

Not really. It mostly just reinforces their own biases. Like the "Star Wars is limited" crap and "too smart for Star Wars" because THEY never gave a shit about the EU.

And as user said. They just shat on it for 40 damn minutes. They should just admitted it is Bad.

He also said it's more complicated than that. You're trying to read his entire ciew in a single joke

>It was a mess
>there were several points in the movie where I thought it was a joke
>They flushed the magic of star wars down the toilet

Their toxic masculinity shining through in this review

They were wrong about Rey, she is absolutely a textbook Mary Sue. Her only defining feature is how outstanding she is.

Even if you're wrong, I'll still give you credit for attributing Mike's behavior to peer pressure and not millions of dollars of free money from Disney.

STOP
SHILLING
YOUR
SHIT
VIDEOS
RLM

They knew it'd be useless to even bother recommending or not recommending a movie like SW. They're right, people who were going to go see it would have with or without their recommendation.

well it is more complicated. there are okay parts and then there is a lot of shit parts its a mess

Thanks, this made me wonder the most.

To put people here in perspective, they even try to see if they can recommend MoS, unironically so.

>If you're a drooling fanboy who wants to see Superman in his truest violentest form snapping necks while screaming savagely, then yes
>Or maybe if you have the right sense of humor, a la "I can't believe they're doing this in a Superman movie" while Jay and Rich agreed they laughed at some of that shit

They even managed to sneak a recommendation for Justice League, based on it being schlock. SW? They didn't have the balls to make up their minds.

>there is nowhere Star Wars can go

Kyl Ren is a big baddie several years after TLJ. Knights of Ren are his henchmen. Rey kills henchmen one by one up to Kylo. RLM btFo. Brainlets