So how do fusions work in Steven Universe?

So how do fusions work in Steven Universe?

Do all the gems share the same consciousness?

Did Sardonyx know what Pearl was doing?

Do Garnet and the other fusions have their own will?

So are they different people or just the shared minds of the gems that make them up?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=wfYbgdo8e-8
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

The fusion is its own thing, but parts of the fusion are concious of what the fusion is doing and thinking.

So Garnet/Ruby and Sapphire and Amethyst were perfectly aware they were beating up on Pearl?

Aware, yes. In control, no.

Garnet said a fusion is a new entity. The way new rooms are created in the Temple when they come into being supports this, too.

Amethyst and Garnet referred to Sugilite as another person - "She wore us out".

Shit. We really have not gotten nearly enough Opal.

>Garnet making out with Opal

it works the same way your brain works user

youtube.com/watch?v=wfYbgdo8e-8

Fusions are a metaphor for relationships

So presumably the participating gems can choose what gets shared between them

>Shit. We really have not gotten nearly enough Opal.

The same is true for Sugilite, pin the blame on the VAs being too expensive.

That is the most disturbing thing I have seen in a long time.

>Do all the gems share the same consciousness?
No.

>Did Sardonyx know what Pearl was doing?
I think deep down a part of her did, but the thought never consciously entered her mind. Kind of like how somebody could ask you "what's the capital of your home state?" and that's something you know, but totally probably weren't thinking of a second ago and so was totally irrelevant to your thoughts or what you were doing then. And it's even possible and understandable that you can know the answer but temporarily forget it even when directly asked, and it's on the tip of your tongue for a bit before you get it. Sardonyx "knew" somewhere everything that Pearl knew, but Garnet didn't instantly absorb all of Pearl's knowledge, because she was only experiencing Sardonyx's
current experiences and thoughts.

>Do Garnet and the other fusions have their own will?
Yes and no. I figure Garnet might make decisions that neither Ruby nor Sapphire would make on their own, but at the same time, if Ruby and Sapphire are in strong disagreement over something, Garnet can't exist.

>So are they different people or just the shared minds of the gems that make them up?
Both. You may find that you act a little differently in the company of certain people than you do on your own, especially when you are working as a team. A fusion is kind of symbolic of those team actions and cooperations that take place, but of course you know that when you're a component of a group or partnership, you're still you.

>but of course you know that when you're a component of a group or partnership, you're still you.
which isn't true in a fusion, you lose yourself and you are this new person

That's kind of terrifying.

which is possibly why stevonnie had a panic attack the first time she existed.

>I figure Garnet might make decisions that neither Ruby nor Sapphire would make on their own, but at the same time, if Ruby and Sapphire are in strong disagreement over something, Garnet can't exist.

Does that mean garnet and amethyst wanted to beat up pearl when they were sugalite?

I think it kind of depends on how mentally healthy you are. I think a healthy person is still themselves in a group, but a not as well adjusted person can lose themselves, or an unhealthy relationship can see its individuals losing themselves. Kind of like Malachite.

Or, I suppose it can more be a matter of awareness and we are not ourselves when participating in groups, but just refuse to believe this. Personally I think I'm still me when I'm working in a partnership, but I admit I'm open to there being a possibility that this is just me in denial, desperately clinging at a sense of self identity.

Amethyst and Ruby probably want to beat up Pearl sometimes and egged each other on. Sapphire just didn't care either way

yeah, pearl left her on a beach and kept telling her to fuck off and give back the other two.

Sugalite loved existing (because amethyst loved feeling strong) and didn't want to split up or be abandoned by pearl.

>I think it kind of depends on how mentally healthy you are
garnet and sapphire and connie have explicitly stated otherwise

It was a decision that neither Amethyst nor Garnet would have come to on their own in that situation (well, I think maybe Amethyst might do something like this, but that's beside the point). But it wasn't something that, for example, Amethyst was strongly in support of and Garnet was strongly opposed to, it was something Sugalite came up with, and Garnet and Amethyst mutually got carried away with.

sorry meant for >>I think it kind of depends on how mentally healthy you are
>garnet and sapphire and connie have explicitly stated otherwise

jesus, neuroscience is so fucking horrifying

>horrifying
neat*

Well, this would imply that Connie, Garnet, and Sapphire would have to be perfectly mentally healthy in order to make that call, and an argument might be made that, maybe they're not.

Though, that also raises the question of "what is 'perfectly mentally healthy' anyway?" and there's probably not a good answer for that, so settling for them being "relatively well adjusted" might be the best we can get.

>fusion only takes over you if you're not perfect!
>but nobodys perfect
>THAT DOESN'T MEAN FUSION DOESN'T TAKE OVER YOU ENTIRELY THOUGH
nah man, get your shit straight.

even the healthiest of people can get swept up in a mob, user

I always though each fusion was a metaphor for a relationship

>I always though each fusion was a metaphor for a relationship
that explains nothing.

Yeah I think I'd rather have a regular ass relationship where we're two seperate, equal parties who compliment one another but are still capable of operating alone and have mind-blowing sex.

I had that once, minus the sex part.

Do you share every one of your secrets and self serving motivations with the people you are in relationships with?

They don't necessarily know your motives but that doesn't stop the two of you from doing what you wanted to do

>Do you share every one of your secrets and self serving motivations with the people you are in relationships with?
no but I don't literally disappear when I make a new friend like is stated in the show.
"metaphor for relationship" is a weak device to wave questions off they don't want to answer.

Just speculating, trying to see more than just the one side of things. I think the video in kind of messed me up, so maybe I'm a bit off point right now.

Connie and Steven seem to generally feel this way too. Seems like it's the human thing to do.

>So are they different people or just the shared minds of the gems that make them up?
something like this

i hope you guys are treating your shy, submissive right hemisphere well