Steven Universe: Then and Now

Steven Universe: Then and Now

Other urls found in this thread:

dancarlin.com/product/hardcore-history-wrath-of-the-khans-series/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Why is every villain based on the Nazis anyway? Can't we try something new?

>Why is every villain based on the Nazis anyway
because nazi's are the untimate evil goy. love your true real forever friends, the communists

this,
making fascist villains gets old after a while,
I had such high hopes for Amon

The sad thing is that your now pic is already the old and good stuff

Some things stay the same: Magical Boy is still a fat whiny autistic faggot that cries over nothing, and there are still no stakes that could threaten his and his friends' comfortable first world lives.

You're right user, the good part of the show is over, nothing cool or dramatic will happen ever again in the entire series.

Because the Nazis were cartoonishly evil? Don't softball these questions

I can agree with you though. Shame Amon and Tarrlok were so lame. Liked Zaheer though.

I can't think of anything that could salvage this show after the season 3 downspike.

>nothing cool or dramatic will happen ever again in the entire series.
not in any way that matters no.
>all that background effort for literally a sky with a windowpane in the way
>but lets just make this dungeon an orange perfectly flat wall

>all that background effort for literally a sky with a windowpane in the way
>but lets just make this dungeon an orange perfectly flat wall

What the fuck are you on about now?

literally the picture that is posted in the post I replied to, it's unrelated but is part of the degradation of the show.

This. When was the last time they left Beach City to visit an exotic place on Earth like in S1?
WHY ARE WE EVEN IN BEACH CITY IN THE FIRST PLACE?

>SPOILER
because you don't have to make new backgrounds

The dungeon wasn't an orange perfectly flat wall. Are you expecting every single shot in the episode to show off the background fully?

And I still have no idea what the fuck your talking about about a sky with a windowpane in the way.

The boss room retard

>when was the last time they left beach city to visit an exotic place on Earth
Well even if you're going to be a fuckwit and claim the time they go to a fucking gem zoo in space doesn't count just because its not on earth, then its in the technically unreleased but next episode Lion 4. And before that there was buddies book, and then plenty of times in season 3.

>Why is every villain based on the Nazis anyway?

>The dungeon wasn't an orange perfectly flat wall. Are you expecting every single shot in the episode to show off the background fully?
I expect critical scenes to have good framing and a not just a plain orange wall

>what the fuck your talking about about a sky with a windowpane in the way.
you're right, they did all that effort when there isn't even glass in the way,
my mistake was thinking the top half of that image was in the donut store.

Well fuck that. If anything morepopularity and funding should enable artists to go out even further instead of dumbing down everything

>If anything morepopularity and funding should enable artists to go out even further instead of dumbing down everything
can't stretch it out into 5 seasons if you're blowing everything on making 3 seasons look good.

you're right, they did all that effort when there isn't even glass in the way,
my mistake was thinking the top half of that image was in the donut store.

What in the fuck are you talking about? What window? what glass?

The media is controlled by people who have reason to be obsessed with the Nazis.

>Why is every villain based on the Nazis anyway?

Because (((they))) own the entertainment (read: subversion) industry. You own nothing, goy.

It's impossible because if a leftard don't like you you become a Nazi by default, like their dad. The logic isn't "the villain is a nazi" it's "you are a villain, so you are a nazi"

>you're right, they did all that effort when there isn't even glass in the way,
>my mistake was thinking the top half of that image was in the donut store.
holy fuck you are literally retarded I admitted that there was no glass and that I had thought the scene in question was in the donut shop where there are fucking windows

That doesn't excuse the fact that they put all that effort into making the sky look good for a joke scene in which Steven eats ice cream but leaving a critical scene, like Steven poofing his first self-aware enemy, with a plain orange wall as the background

Episode 110: cringe worthy ripoff of Little Rascals gags clumsily hamfisted together

You're not helping me getting calm

>Because the Nazis were cartoonishly evil? Don't softball these questions
No more than anyone else who committed genocide. Fucking Genghis Khan was so influential his effect on China is still present.

Because Nazis are the most famous example of "totalitarian regime willing to murder entire populations for their goals", so they are the default flavor.

At most you can hang different things onto the portrayal (scythe & sickle, calling others "comrade") in order to make them seem more like the USSR, or giving them Asian aesthetics to be more like Mao/Communist China, the Khmer Rouge, Imperial Japan, etc...

Homeworld isn't very Nazilike, anyways. They have a caste system, which is different than the hierarchy espoused by the Nazis. Their desire to destroy the world is because of how personally the leadership took the death of one of their own. Their "clothes" aren't as fashionable.

>a fat whiny autistic faggot

Get a new tune, because this one makes it seem like YOU are a F.W.A.F.

People can't relate to the plight of asian peasants that lived 800 years ago

just look at the pretty scenes man

>WHY ARE WE EVEN IN BEACH CITY IN THE FIRST PLACE?

See, that is a question. Why that location?

Gays? Jehovah's Witnesses? Mental defectives?

Wait, it's not the Gypsies is it?

The Mongols were as bad as the Nazis. Worse, if you consider they basically treated ANYBODY like the Jews.

How are homeworld nazis?
They're literally just bugs, every gem is programmed to fit it's role, even the liberated ones still act on their programming. Diamonds are probably just programmed to lead and expand the empire.

Which is why Rose chose to impregnate herself with Steven so she could become organic and escape her programming for good

Or today, in fact.

...Why even are those rocks floating?

Once I saw an image comparing characterization of the main cast in season one and now.
All the latter were just 'gay'
it made me laugh, but I didn't save it. Anyone got it?

take your shit thread to

>...Why even are those rocks floating?
gem magic, the same reason that the sky temple is floating.

>sky temple
sky arena

Popularity means they tend to get money regardless, so why put any effort into it?

It's not like most of the current generation can relate to the plight of the Jews during WWII. The fact that America had to do the Milgram experiment to prove that even Americans could've fallen to a Nazi regime back in the 70's kind of shows that.

do we really need to be reminded every 100 years not to commit genocide

Every 100 days seems a safer bet. That might just be frequent enough.

>Every 100 years
>Not knowing the Rwanda, Bosnian, or Darfur genocide which have all happened within the last 30 years
>One of which is happening now

>a fucking gem zoo in space doesn't count just because its not on earth

the whole interior design was boring as tears

* They took the shattered corpses of Gems and forcefully fused them together into a hellspawn which is in constant agony.

* They're hellbent on destroying the entire earth for their own personal gain

* They kidnap innocent people to put on display.

* Anybody who does not swear allegiance to Homeworld is basically murdered.

>The Mongols were as bad as the Nazis. Worse, if you consider they basically treated ANYBODY like the Jews.
They did? I thought the Mongols just took money from the defeated and demanded they recognized themselves as part of their empire, them fucked off to the next region; That's how they made their empire so large.

>Expecting humans to learn anything from the past

Because american won against the nazis and japs weren't that cool.
And that is it, that is the reason, really.

>* They took the shattered corpses of Gems and forcefully fused them together into a hellspawn which is in constant agony.
yes and the nazis totally made lampshades from jew skin

>* They're hellbent on destroying the entire earth for their own personal gain
nazis need earth for their ultimate goal and wouldn't destroy it.

* They kidnap innocent people to put on display.
nazis kidnapped political opposers and put them in prison to keep them from interfering.
>* Anybody who does not swear allegiance to Homeworld is basically murdered.
you got me there.

Homeworld culture war when?

>Can't we try something new?
I vote anarchists or rebels as the new villains. Let the protagonists try to keep the order every once in a while.

That's literally just an orangeish sky with clouds in it, user.

>implying there isn't more detail and effort in a sky than there is in the wall

a sky with clouds can look really shitty if you do it wrong.

>spoiler
Because that's where Steven lives? That's like asking why chowder lives in Marzipan city or why Gumball lives in Elmore.

2ndly, Perhaps beach towns like this are very nostalgic for Sugar and she wanted her stary to take place in a comfy place to which she is accustomed.
You write (or in this case draw) what you know.

3rdly, probably to focus more on the dichotomy between Steven being an alien and human. Steven lives near humans because he is one. He relates to them and learns from them. And the fact that he lives in such a small town means he basically knows EVERYONE who lives near him so he has a strong network of people he can turn to/rely on.

I don't care what anyone says; Gem Glow is a great episode

Man that background sucks. This show needs Kevin Dart back.

It's literally the worst episode. No one but retards care about it because "muh glow stick in the freezer".

Good for him. You can show that by having small conversation here and there or a quick cut, but I don't need an entire god damn episode about the dreams of Kiki or him playing Zoltron while everyone is too retarded to notice.

You know that there were actually people who watched and enjoyed the show before you insufferable lorefags piled on, right?

You should listen to 'Wrath of the Khans'. It messed me up.
dancarlin.com/product/hardcore-history-wrath-of-the-khans-series/

He starts by describing some ambassador's journey over a road in Eastern Asia - the travelling is severely hindered because the road is slippery with human fat. The Mongols were apparently religious fanatics, who believed they were on a mission from God to subject the entire world and anyone who opposed them was a rebel even if he had no idea who they were.

These guys. They would massacre a city, then leave, then a few days later come back to make sure they got all the stragglers, as well.

It's frankly disturbing to learn that the only reason Europe even exists in its current form is alcoholism.

And a solid color wall can look really great if you do it right.
Hell, some of my favorite scenes in cartoons in general take place in really simplistic environments.

I mean it's not something that blows me away, but there's the cool segmented lava flows cracked in the floors. The architecture of the room itself is very confined and uncomfortable and the strong warm color puts you immediately on edge.
It's also roughly gem shaped, as if they're fighting in a large crystal.

I mean, no. It's not the most interesting room or environment SU has ever made. But it fits the tone of the scene and I didn't even notice it until you started complaining about it.

>It's literally the worst episode.

Really. Not 'Steven Floats'. Not 'Future Boy Zoltron'. Not 'Onion Gang'.

Like I said, These sort of towns are probably nostalgic for sugar. The reason Townie episodes exist is probably because she wants to show to be comfy and nostalgic for her.

Really her only flaw is having the alien stuff be so interesting that you want more of that than everything else.

>Being this autistically literal
Nazis often took Jews posessions and re-distributed them to the German population. Sometimes they would rip out their gold fillings for money. Dr. Mengele is infamous for his sick experiments on live subjects.

Nazis wanted to basically rule the world and have their regime affect the entire planet.

They ripped people out of their homes and threw them into jails where they're were treated like animals (Oh look, a zoo!).

And if anything, the last one is where you're wrong. German people weren't forced at gun point to be nazis. If they were, they would have hated it just as much as the Jews. But they didn't. They were given quite a lot of freedom. Soldiers would often take a leave of absence because the stress of killing Jews all the time got to be mentally straining on them. That's the entire reason why they came up with gassing; it made it easier on the soldiers killing them if they didn't have to see them.

That last part makes you sound severely underaged who only knows about Nazis from a handful of paragraphs you read about them and then filled in the rest with your own caricatured expectations with no actual research being done.

It's funny how whenever someone doesn't like something, rather than creating an argument they'll just type out
>Muh [insert single quality of that episode here]
or
>HAHA[insert quality here}XDOMG
or sometimes just
>tumblr
>reddit

Why form an argument when you can just MEME your opinion of things?

>That last part makes you sound severely underaged who only knows about Nazis from a handful of paragraphs you read about them and then filled in the rest with your own caricatured expectations with no actual research being done.
Yeah Ok pal

Nice to see you agree.

Steven Floats is viewed similarly to those other two? I liked that one just fine

no I just don't want to argue with someone who's fallen for wartime propaganda from 70 years ago.

I don't think you know how to argue even though you seem desperate in wanting to.

This is some embarrassing levels of save-face.

The potential of the worldbuilding is the only thing that makes Steven Universe worth watching and even the staff agrees with that as Sugar said the real show started with Mirror Gem, sorry towniefags.

I'd say Onion's Gang and Future Boy are equally as bad as the first episode, Steven Floats wasn't that bad but i'll never watch it again.

Good job arguing sematics rather than refuting my point, chump.

>save-face

>The potential of the worldbuilding is the only thing that makes Steven Universe worth watching
If that's all you care about, then go read a history book faggot. Most people aren't autists and actually like their TV shows to be good

That would be true if the artist was the one making decisions. Money comes with strings.

Think of it like the Deadpool movie. It was only able to be good because it was such a shoestring budget that the studio didnt care enough about its success to meddle with it. Triple that budget, and suddenly they care a LOT and you get rooms of suits telling the writers it has to be pg 13 so that they can appeal to a wider audience, and have you considered giving Deadpool a kid sidekick?

>Good job arguing sematics rather than refuting my point, chump.
I never said I disagree with your point. I just think it was a lazy way to make it. So there'd be no reason for me to argue your point.

Someone please post Connie season 1 design vs season 4

Y tho

>I'd say Onion's Gang and Future Boy are equally as bad as the first episode

Gem Glow was fine. I don't get the hate.

I am an autist and I prefer good shows, actually.
Neurotypicals...

this one?

fairly close

Then
>a hybrid abomination and his alien caretakers go on adventures to hunt monsters and collect otherworldly artifacts
Now
>an effeminate boy-man and his emotionally fragile lesbian friends cry a lot, randomly break out into showtoons and then nothing happens

Strawberry fields
nothing is real

>Their "clothes" aren't as fashionable.

...what the fuck does this have to do with anything.

>Steven Floats is viewed similarly to those other two?

Sort of. Steven Floats wasn't a bad episode, per se, it was just completely and utterly pointless. It was basically just Steven slowly falling for 11 minutes at a point in the series when we really should have been spending more time with Lapis.

Why are all the colors outside the lines?

aesthetic

>Then
it was alright
>Now
its trash

What is Korra?

It's just something that lingered in media after WWII. Japan has something similar, where Christianity stuck around as a go-to villain from a time when Japan was afraid of it taking over their country.

I think it's mostly because of the iconic imagery. Nazis have a recognizable symbol, imposing uniforms, memorable catchphrases, a special salute, and a distinctive-looking leader. Between that and shit leftover from wartime propaganda, they're really cool villains. Plus, you don't need to worry about offending them like you do with ISIS-themed villains.

Then stop watching it. Why torture yourself, and annoy us with your complaining? There are so many shows out there that you should like some of them better.

Then: Shit
Now: Shitter

Calm down with the level of assumption there pal. user never gave a lengthy bitch, he didn't say how he watches all the new episodes, he didn't even call it the worst show. He just said early on it was ok and now it's trash. "Now" could refer to as far back as the end of season 2.

Oh for fucks sake

FIRST PICTURE. GOOD BACKGROUND. STYLISH AND LOTS IF EFFORT.

SECOND PICTURE. BAD BACKGROUND. BORING AND SHITTY.

Get it now retard?

Fiction is based on theatricality and visuals; even (good) books go to great lengths to evoke fantastic images. The worst you can do to your audience is bore them.

Is it safe to say Steven's the worst boy protagonist in recent memory?

>zoo wee mama

Not the hero we need but the hero we deserve

Maybe a proper, fixed airing schedule and not just fucking bombs every ten thousand moon cycles?