What's cosmic horror "done right"?

How would you successfully bring this elusive genre to the big screen?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=89OP78l9oF0
youtube.com/watch?v=mIdkmqHXzSw
literatur-der-angst.de/Map/Map_of_Cosmic_Horror.html
youtube.com/watch?v=sQFpMZ6glTo
youtube.com/watch?v=6QFwo57WKwg
youtu.be/0CtGzj7NmSA
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

It would be a ninth gate like movie set in the early 20th century and instead of satanists it would be about cultists worshipping ctulhu or whatever.

>hurr durr lovecraft
wew I'm so thankful nobody on this board is actually in charge of making movies

youtube.com/watch?v=89OP78l9oF0

Impossible, all you can do is rewatch The Thing and Alien

why would they send a bunch of girls in?

because that's how the book goes

They sent an all male team first.

what movie is this?

I think something similar to The Shinning or The Witch, in the way they handle the passing and construction of horror.

But I think short films ala Junji Ito would be better

la creatura.....

looks like cloverfield concept art

A video game
Preferably with dark souls style combat to emphasize the themes of lovecraft.

Why would they try an all woman team afterwards? Is it explained in the books?

You can't

It's incomprehensible to human perception, that's why it's cosmic horror. It can't be represented physically because then you lose the unimaginable horror element, and it's just a dumb monster movie.

the fug is cosmic horror exactly

>The book opens with a team of four who cross the border into an uninhabited area known as Area X. The team consists of an anthropologist, surveyor, biologist, and psychologist. None of the team is ever identified by name. The story is told through the biologist's field journal. They are part of the 12th expedition into Area X and it is revealed that the biologist's husband was part of the previous expedition into the same area. The narrator's husband returned unexpectedly from the expedition, showing up in their kitchen without any recollection of how he got there. The rest of his expedition show up similarly. A few months later he died of cancer along with the others in the 11th expedition.

A meme

In the book, it's been like 30 years since Area X existed. The all women team we follow is Team 11H or something. There has been nearly a 100 teams sent in since the first one.

Reality. aka humans don't mean shit when you take into account the vastness of the universe and the time we,ve existed compared to the time the universe existed.

America

this

It's like an ocean movie where people are on a boat need to get home while the ocean is full of sharks.
Except the ocean is the universe and there is no home and the sharks are incomprehensible monsters instead of just hungry animals

Lovcraftian kino when?

Lovecraft is quite good. The problem is that his fanboys (I mean the other writers who wouldn't let him be forgotten) published everything he ever wrote, and most of it was shit, incomplete, experiments in writing styles, etc.
Some of it is things he wrote for money and hated (Herbert West for example).

The Southern Reach organization experiments with different combinations of people for its exploration teams in hopes of increasing their chance of success. The 11th mission was entirely comprised of men and other missions mixed had different mixes of genders, races etc in hopes of different results. This is the 12th mission.

obviously you wanna start with an ear shattering fart noise

He was also hilariously racist. Like, it was the 19th century, so everyone was racist in a way. But Lovecraft really REALLY hated blacks in a way that even contemporaries would go "Woah slow down there, champ"

>it was the 19th century
boy, HPL born in 1890…
and he married a Jewish woman.

Also, sauce me on this pic pls.

>infinite beings sowing seeds of madness into humanity, reaching into the depths of consciousness to transcend dimensional planes and spread insanity, horror, and chaos
>and my cat's name is nigger!

He was literally a soyboy
It explains why he feared black people

some Fulci scenes are great: hopeless doom, helpless characters, pure terror etc.
youtube.com/watch?v=mIdkmqHXzSw

Yes and know. The older he got, the less racist he was. He even wrote about (in his personal letters) how he was ashamed of some of the things he used to beleive in as a younger man.
Thing is, some of his best friends were what we would call liberal today (one of his mentor was the leader of the anti defamation league). But they didn't say fuck you to him, they talked to him and let him express his opinions and he eventually changed his mind after the logic in their arguments won him over.
Frankly, Lovecraft seemed to be more in love with arguing than in hatred of other races.

Someone should adapt Dead Space: Martyr into a movie.

It wasn't his cat to begin with (it belonged to his even more racist Aunts), so he didn't named him.

Lo innombrable

>yes and know

Cults, visions, paranoia and betrayal. Themes of coincidence versus influence from gods, probably some illuminati type stuff where people of authority are involved in the cult, and a protagonist with a history of mental illness who might be going crazy or might be seeing things from a cosmic god, who will either die or succumb to the wills of the cult.

>some of his best friends were what we would call liberal today
>But they didn't say fuck you to him, they talked to him and let him express his opinions and he eventually changed his mind after the logic in their arguments won him over.
doesn't sound like american leftists at all

think i read an SCP with this plot

Have them fight sharks

Post the Lovecraft pasta about the reasons we're never going to have a movie about him

Space demons

Please, I need to be at least a little retarded to come here every day. Let me at least have that. Also, not a native english speaker/writer. But I'm mostly just retarded.

WHAT IF AMERICA WASN'T JUST A STORY
>ear shattering shart noise

It's a fucking cat. If he didn't want to call it Nigger, he'd not call it Nigger. It's not like it'd suddenly not come when its' called.

>even more racist aunts
Is such a thing possible?

never show the alien

>lmao it was a dream all along
Shit game

He was in a tv series recently. They completely gloss over the racism angle and just made him a weirdo. It wasn't that bad actually.

how lovecraftian with a hint of kaftkaesque cinematography

>Is such a thing possible?
Yep. They raised him. Then he married a Jew just as a fuck you to them.

wtf is happening?

Even Lovecraft couldn't resist Khazar Milkies

Now that sounds fucking retarded

Just send 2000 soldiers with tanks and byebye space mutants

End of The Mist showed what's happens when ugly monsters try to fuck up with FREEDOM

Are you retarded? I know there that cats are autistic meme, but most cats are like dogs. They answer to their names and cuddle you and shit. Not all cats are edgelords McDontgiveafuck.

When, long ago, the gods created Earth
In Jove's fair image Man was shaped at birth.
The beasts for lesser parts were next designed;
Yet were they too remote from humankind.
To fill the gap, and join the rest to Man,
Th'Olympian host conceiv'd a clever plan.
A beast they wrought, in semi-human figure,
Filled it with vice, and called the thing a Nigger.

he had mommy issues & he basically married the only woman who wanted his kissless virgin ass

shark found the portal to the netherworld

Anything that isn't "approved" by the Border disappears and even if you manage to bring tech in on the other side, it begins to stop working.

probably having a seizure from too much brine or something

Fucking kek

Then they divorced and they were still friends and he help take care of her kids from another man.
Cucthulhu
But frankly, the best thing Lovecraft ever wrote was his essay on supernatural horror in literature. I got to read so many great authors and their best stories because of it. Algernon Blackwood. Arthur Machen. Ann Radcliff.

Related link:
literatur-der-angst.de/Map/Map_of_Cosmic_Horror.html

I think The Mist did it pretty well. The movie doesn't show these horrible creatures that kept picking off the civilians one by one until the very end. Even in the end a lot of creatures weren't shown (who was tentacle rape?). I think this is the right way to keep the suspense with the ''cosmic horror'' genre.

>bloo bloo The Mist isn't meme horror
It takes elements from the cosmic horror genre.

>Mayflower puritans meet Ancient gods (aliens of Nyarlatothep)
>blasphemous breeding ensues
>secret kept by powerful cultists (presidents, etc.)
theme of a whole big nation based on horrific premises

Bullshit conditions? Then send hussars, it never fails

that's basically just The Shadow over Innsmouth on a larger scale though

Here''s some clarity

What is the most powerful mutt?

It wasn't a dream, you brainlet. You need to gain more insight. Maybe one day the secrets of a realm beyond will grand you eyes.

This.
Also: Altered States

In the Mouth of Madness, Prince of Darkness, The Thing, Alien
Really about all you've got.

Post the fucking copypasta

The monolith scene on the moon is genuinely horrifying

Cloverfield should have been the prequel of a whole serie: watching modern characters shitting their pants because of some giant invisible monster was great.
youtube.com/watch?v=sQFpMZ6glTo

they look like giant ticks

The Thing and Alien aren't cosmic horror
They're horror in the cosmos, which isn't the same thing

>movie trailer
>WHAT IF CTHULU WASN'T JUST A STORY
>ear shattering fart noise
>full frontal shot of Cthulu rising from the sea with water streaming off of its body
>black screen
>coming 2018

>movie
>opening shot is Cthulu rising out of the water
>movie is 2 hours and 45 minutes of Cthulu destroying a city
>ending is Cthulu standing over the leveled city roaring at the sky

Z A R D O Z

age hit her like a sack of bricks

>77
>Star Wars was released in 1977

And the long, lonely flight there across the desolate inhuman lunar landscape builds up to it perfectly.

youtube.com/watch?v=6QFwo57WKwg

And they eat sharks.

They look nothing like ticks.
Ticks are a stomach with 8 legs.
Giant isopods look like... Isopods. Pillbugs. Rolliepollies

Does War of the Worlds count or is it just aliens n shiet?

>lovecraft is quite good

he had a very creative mind, but holy shit he was a terrible writer.

Wrong pasta

The book has smatterings of cosmic horror but the movie has none

lovecraftian elements

Off topic, but the animation studio that made this did a Lovecraftian horror/boxing "anime" show and it's fucking GOAT.

youtu.be/0CtGzj7NmSA

Fair, and Prince of Darkness is more religious/demonic horror
Mouth of Madness is really as close as you get

Phase 4
This is a great cosmic horror movie.

>interracial coupling

dropped

It's when you can't be bothered to come up with an interesting monster so you just go "omg....it's beyond human comprehension....so scary".
Very imaginable.