I find it hilarious how they have managed to kill star-wars as a setting with this one movie...

I find it hilarious how they have managed to kill star-wars as a setting with this one movie. The crux of space-opera is cheap fast travel since space is so big, you need to go from the ice-planet and the desert planet without dying of old age. So you invent a special engine or a wormhole generator or something that does all that. But also ensures that it can't be used as a weapon, by teleporting instantly, or going through another dimension.

What this movie has done, is establish that a hyperdrive can interact with other ships. One of the draws of Star-wars is that so many people have neat little ships to putter around in (people you can identify as and imagine yourself as) that means that with the new hyperdrive canon everyone with a ship, is sitting on a weapon powerful enough to destroy pretty much anything. Everyone. And ships in star-wars are like boats to us. Maybe even cars. Imagine if your car had a hydrogen bomb beside the spare tire? A clump of antimatter in the glovebox?

There will never be another star wars movie wherein there's a big battleship, or battle-station, or massive fleet where you don't go "Why not just hyperspeed-ram it?" And the best part. It's in a movie, not some obscure comic or book. Everyone who has seen the movie has seen the scene. There's no counterargument, because it happened, we saw it. Star-wars has effectively destroyed itself as a semi-believable setting. Because there's no traditional set-up with the big bad fleet and big bad base that can't be ass-raped by a single FTL ship.

The thing is it not only ruins all future SW movies, it also retroactively ruins the past films and makes them all look like idiots.

>A New Hope - "Sir we've worked out the final plan for the assault on the death star and it will be risky and cost many lives but it migh-" "Just Hyperspace-Ram it"

>Empire - "Sir the troops are ready for the ground assault on Hoth, walkers are ready to deploy" "Just Hyperspace-Ram the shield generator from orbit then Hyperspace-ram the rebel base. Boom. All the rebels will be dead before they can evacuate, wars over, and we never had to do a ground assault"

>Jedi - "Sir they built a new death star and it's even bigg-" "Just Hyperspace-Ram it" "But sir its surrounded by a shield from the Endor moo-" "Just hyperspace ram the endor Moon until you take out the shield generator, Ewoks are collateral damage, then hyperspace ram the new death star"

>Phantom Menace - "Annakin you have to take out that droid controller" "Just hyperspace ram it"

>Rogue One - "We have to take down that shield generator!" "Just hyperspace ra- actually you know what were going to just hyperspace ram the death star anyway so we don't even need these stupid plans. Lets get out of here everybody."

>TFA - My god they built an even BIGGER death sta-" "Just hyperspace ram it"

From now on, in every star wars movie ever made, every single time there is a massive fleet, large base or battlestation everyone watching will be thinking. "Why don't they just hyperspace-ram it". Johnson did this to the entire star wars cinematic universe, forever, for the sake of a ten second shot that "looked cool".

Can you morons take a day off, please. Do you really need to repost this every fucking day.

The only way they can solve this is by coming up with some defensive ability that prevents it. Like let's say whenever some ship uses FTL you can use some sort of shield or jump to another dimension momentarily so as to avoid getting hit by it. What do you think?

Adding more superpowers to balance the old ones is always a terrible idea. Powercreep ruins franchises irreparably.

Why is it a bad idea? It seems to me like this is the only solution to this problem other than just pretending the problem doesn't exist.

my uncle works at disney and has confirmed there will by 'hypershields' in the next movie so you autists can shut up now

Interdictor ships already existed in the EU and prevent exactly this from occurring as well as hyperspace jumps in general. Too bad Disney trashed them.

This part is just getting started.

They are canon in the shitty Rebels cartoon

why don't they just add hyper space drivers to large object and use them ass hyper space missiles? would be cheaper to hyper space an asteroid rather than a star destroyer. full of people

So when I played Xwing back in 1994 I wondered why I couldn't hyperspace jump into the Deathstar. The hyperspace coordinates were put in because in the lore they have space lanes. I almost bet that ship wouldn't have allowed that jump. Any spy could ala ackbar the ship.

In TFA they hyperspace jump the Falcon inside Starkiller's shield, so they don't even need to ram the shield generators on Hoth/Endor.

You really don't even need a Death Star, since you could just hyperspace ram a ship into any planet you want to destroy.

I'm conflicted about Rebels because as a whole it's bad but Kanan is such a ridiculously enjoyable character it almost makes the trash parts worth it. Plus the way Darth Maul died was fucking art.

that never could occur before
what interdictors do is blockade lightspeed

So I guess all they have to do is bring those back and it solves OP's problem.

Should they decide to remake the OT they'll cut around 1,5h from each movie.

Because it doesn't solve the main problem that the main ship of the nuEmpire, the biggest they ever had short of the Death Stars wouldn't be equipped with a technology that could prevent the most devastating attack to occur.
Yet all past superweapons had that technology? Really?

It doesn't make sense and just breaks the internal logic of it.
Hell, lucas used the EU to circumvent that problem, so nobody ever really gave a fuck about it.
But becasue it was possible now against the main flagship, they can't simply pull out some technology that was available in the past but not for the fucking MAIN ship of the nuEmpire to Snoke who someow has manged to gather more resources then the Empire at the height of their power.

I thought she was going to go to light speed for a split second and come out of it and ram the main ship super fast before they could destroy her. Instead, this happened... Also how the fuck did she hit multiple ships? Like they weren't all in a row wtf happened there?

Wasn't the old empire supposed to be stronger than the nuempire? Maybe they were careless and from now on they will use that technology again.

I agree with you that it's retarded but this is the only solution they have for the problem you present here and if you were in their position as a director that would be the only logical thing to do.

>Wasn't the old empire supposed to be stronger than the nuempire?

Yes, supposed to.
Yet the nuEmpire manages to build a spacestation the size of a planet that is capable to destory multiple planets across the galaxy all at once?
Yet the best the Empire could do were two in comparison lousy death stars with not even half the firepower.

You could say that with the time passed, technology got developed that outclipsed whatever the Empire has.
Yet no mention from it whatsoever, just that the nuEmpire has a new Death Star that is bigger and better then anything that the old Empire ever had.

It's not the worst offense of TLJ, that's its treatment of Luke, but this will do a lot to shatter the love some of the fanbase had for SW because it breaks the part some sci-fans love the most about world-building which is it's internal consistency.

Why didn't they just hyperspeed ram some freighters into the death star? Why didn't they do that and save those thousands of lives and ships they threw away on the assault? Why did they act like they were trapped and had their backs to the wall in so many moments in the past when actually every single mid-size ship with a hyperdrive actually had the destructive power of thousands of nuclear bombs and could be used at any time by anyone? Why did it take a pink haired admiral to use it this way for the first time after all those battles, all those lives lost, all those desperate situations?

I'm actually glad it breaks the sw world. After TLJ I want it to die. That's coming from a former fan too.

The FO is more advanced and better equipped then the Empire.
It should not be that way, but it is.
Carelessness does not explain why the CIS or Republic did not use such tactics, there were no Interdictors then, nor for anyone during the literal millennia hyperdrives have been around.

reminder that Luke Skywalker killed over a million people and is supposed to be a force for good. Star Wars never had coherent world building or lore. Star Wars isn't scifi, it's campy opera bullshit.

Why didn't the ship crash into the bigger ship and crumble like a soda can against a brick wall? Don't they have shields for things like this?

>reminder that Luke Skywalker killed over a million people and is supposed to be a force for good

That's less than 1/25th of what the allies killed in WW2.

It's essentially the LotR Eagles 2.0... now everyone is asking why they haven't done this all along

Shut the fuck up Disney. Reap and sow.

no because the biggest baddest ship owned by evil Mcbadface himself should have those defenses.

No it's not. Gandalf literally stated the eagles would not fly them. If you read the books/saw the Extended versions it goes deeper into this.

>The FO is more advanced and better equipped then the Empire.
And yet they use a giant ground-based siege laser towed by walkers when they have huge flying spaceships everywhere.

Explain this.

Congratz user, you took the words right out of my mouth & explained it much better than I could have.

No one said they were smart. Otherwise they would've had Starkiller Base jump to hyperspace immediately after firing it so no one knew where to attack.

Exactly, good post.

This has only just begun

I'd like to say "oh maybe it's too big to move but since it ate the sun it was orbiting...

The solution is to teleport itself momentarily to somewhere else to avoid it, even at the speed of light?

If that's the case that's even worse.

Can you imagine a Deathstar, randomly pitching itself throughout space every millisecond whilst the rebels shoot 100s of FTL objects at it.

This in itself will make it worse, much worse.

If they could teleport the other objects elsewhere, then that may be better, but it doesn't work cause it's going at lightspeed.

Part of the whole hyperspace lore was that thousands of people died trying to scout out hyperspace "lanes" since it WAS in our dimension and if you weren't traveling through established 'safe' space you could cream into an asteroid at light speed. I'm not saying that's not dumb, just that it was dumb long before the sequels and we're just now seeing it in action.

Don't forget that now they can hyperspace ram things without casualties since it's already been established to have been an autopilot system in multiple ships.

But also, Star Wars is meant for children so who cares

I think making ghosts physical beings who can not only use force, but also interact with physical objects was and even worse choice. That basically makes all Jedi immortal. They get a weird glow when they die, but they gain the ability to teleport, so in a way it's an improvement over being alive.

All that just to make a joke about Yoda hitting Luke with his stick. Entire continuity ruined for a joke that's just a cheap reference to something that wasn't even funny when it first happened.

>you know remember the helicopter lightsabers

Ok they were at same tier of bad as this hyperspace collision thing.

It was about getting too close to suns or black holes. Han literally stated that in New Hope. If you get too close to a strong gravity well you get ripped out of hyperspace.

It was never about running into things.

Clockwork Orange.

Then I would play some vinyls as I tell them how I prefer the book over the movie.

Objects with very large mass like a star cast a shadow in hyperspace that you can hit, that was the reason for lanes, not things like asteroids.

That's all out the window now you can crash into stuff at lightspeed like admiral pink-hair did so who cares anyway.

I was just about to post this in a new thread too

Using the Socratic method I can prove that the new Disney Star Wars films are not canon with the rest of Star Wars

>When Holdo light-speed attacks the First Order's ship and obliterates it.
>If they had never touched on this plot hole there could have always remained plausible explanations as to why it wouldn't work
>But the mere fact that nobody uses this tactic in space battles IMPLIED that this could not work
>Now that that implication is ruined we are left with this glaring plot hole and scratching our heads. Why hasn't every space battle since IV included this battle tactic at least once?
>The existence of this fighting method would invalidate all large spaceships and all large space stations because they could be easily allahu akbar'd

It's disappointing to me that Rian Johnson and Kathleen Kennedy couldn't write themselves out of a cardboard box. This mistake cannot coexist with the rest of the Star Wars universe, therefore the Sequels cannot be canon technically speaking.

It’s warfare, each new weapon prompts the creation of new tactics/defense

All you need is the First Order to put all their energy into inventing a hyperspace shield

>Imagine an imperial, certified big-guy.
>Commanding a fleet of hundreds of star destroyers.
>No fleet can stand up to his might.
>Then johnny mcrebel shows up in his cobbled together freighter that stinks of piss. He's just outside of range.
>He stumbles out of his seat. There are stains on his seat, the windows are foggy and he spills alderaan dew on himself as he wobbles around.
>He straps into a too small spacesuit and falls out of his ship.
>His suit is leaking air and body-odour.
>Tells his astromech (with a pirated anime personality file) to plot a new course.
>"Yes senpai kun! I love you Johnny san!"
>The shitty frieghter vanishes.
>And the flagship of the imperial fleet, the closest four star destroyers and most of the TIEs en route to intercept vanish too. in huge fireballs.

>Imperial fleet is kill.

t. delusional manchild

Ok but does Disney Star Wars take place in the Luuke universe, the Luke Prime one, or the Big Luke one?

All the previous movies were already shit because they didn’t do this blatantly logical thing.

This is actually the first movie to use logic. That’s why it’s kino.

Begin making arguments at any time brainlet

With SW tech they could surely just make remote controlled drones with hyperspeed engines.

Also what's the deal with the resistance ship running on fuel? Surely they have larger vessels powered by nuclear fission reactors? maybe even cold fusion reactors?

The thing is it breaks the entire sw universe for space battles in a way that is almost impossible to fix. He literally ruined all large scale space battles going forward in the star wars cinematic universe for the sake of a ten second shot.

Saying they will develop "better shields" to stop it literally does not solve anything. All shields have a limit to the damage they can sustain before they drop. If you shoot them or smash things into them enough times they eventually collapse. That's fundamental. The problem is we have been shown now, irrevocably, that every cruiser with an FTL drive can deliver the explosive energy of thousands and thousands of nuclear bombs in an instant. With one cruiser doing a hyperspeed-ram she split The Supremacy, which was almost the size of a small moon, in half like it was made of paper and destroyed an entire fleet of 15 star destroyers behind it. She annihilated an entire fleet. That's almost as much force as a blast from the death star, and ANYONE with a mid-size ship with an hyperdrive can do this at ANYTIME. So really better shields don't matter. Just ram the fleet once to take out the shields. Then ram it a second time to take out the entire fleet. That's two ships to win a war.

Having hyperspace inhibitors doesn't help either. All that means is that every fleet battle from now on forever becomes a frantic battle to destroy the ship on the other side with the inhibitor so that the instant it's down your side can be the side to perform a hyperspace ram and win the entire battle. It's an "I Win" button that takes out the entire enemy fleet in less than a second.

Big large scale space battles and ship-to- ship fleet fighting is over effectively in sw. It's canon and we all saw it right on screen. Any time there is another big battle or big death star people will say "why dont they just hyperspeed ram it?"

>"Why not just hyperspeed-ram it?"

because then the heroes die too

What is using droids.

Yes. The best way to understand it is that in every single space battle in star wars from here on out you have to remember that every ship on each side with a hyperdrive is essentially equipped with a death star cannon that they can fire once. And ANY ship with a hyper-drive can do this at ANY time. Better shields don't matter.

That's what Johnson did to space battles in star wars from here on out.

If if that was true, and droids and auto-pilot didn't exist, which of course they do, it would still be just sacrificing one person to win a war. Which anyone in the history of warfare would tell you is a pretty damn good deal.

Don't have too.

>socratic method

You're fedora is on too tight to even begin reasoning with you.

They will literally explain it away as what BDT's character did to get on the ship weakened the shields in that area. And you know it. They will technobabble their way out of why hyperspace ramming can't work anymore, in the future or the past.

So did the Raddus fragment when it hit the supremacy and that's why the rest of the fleet was destroyed?

why does someone have to be inside of it? can't you put an FTL engine on a rocket or heck, a rock?

Still literally 0 arguments
How does it feel knowing no fans are going to rewatch Ep. VIII or IX because they're not canon? Ticket sales are dropping rapidly

The hyperspace ramming thing makes it so the last ship of a fleet, or any ship that's about to blow up would simply hyperspace into the enemy fleet.

Losing a battle and you can't escape? Well you're dead anyway might as well ram it.

Last ship in your fleet? Ram the fuckers.

No it makes it so that you don't even need a fleet, all you need to do is strap some motors on an asteroid and you're good to go. It is a can of worms they should've never opened as it invalidates everything previously established.

Well that too. But even if they attempted to stick to space battles how they were before the Hyperspace ramming technique makes it so attempting to destroy a ship or defeating a fleet means there's no reason why they wouldn't attempt to ram your fleet.

I haven't read it, but isn't their a Heinlein novel about using asteroids?

Star Wars was always space fantasy, not Star Trek or hard physics rock-flinging Foundation shit.

Why not just have her ram the ships are regular speed whiile directing all of her power to her forward shields and propulsion?

>In TFA they hyperspace jump the Falcon inside Starkiller's shield
I'm still mad about that.

I havent seen this shitshow, but could it be that the ship they rammed just had its shields down?

Retard.

>From now on, in every star wars movie ever made, every single time there is a massive fleet, large base or battlestation everyone watching will be thinking. "Why don't they just hyperspace-ram it".
This. Rian Johnson fucked this franchise in the ass with one shot.

>when they have huge flying spaceships everywhere.
No, they all got obliterated by Admiral Holdinformation

Was it autism?

She also destroyed like several destroyers behind it somehow w/o los. Hux doesn't even seem worried about any of the destroyer group not having shields up. He realized what she was doing too late and said to redirect fire.

>win a war
What's the point, anyway? The baddies will just reform again in the next trilogy.

this. the new trilogoy's villains is pathetic. just the empire pt 2 after they were defeated. at least the prequel tried to be different with the villains and tie in the stormtroopers

But they just used interdictors in the EU for exactly this purpose. They pull a ship out of hyperspace.
Or the mass shadow generator which was used to basically do the opposite and force objects into hyperspace collisions, which they used to smash two fleets into each other at Malachor V

This
Hyperspace is dangerous as fuck in star wars so if she even slightly misjudged things she'd accomplish nothing or would more likely ram her ship into a distant star

They should've just said something along the lines "the hyperspace drive was damaged, god knows what's gonna happen if we try to jump"

It could also replace the "running out of fuel" bullshit

Interdictors pull people out of hyperspace and prevent ships from fleeing a battle. That's a super useful support vessel to have around.

the ship used in tlj is a three kilometers long and snokes ship is 60 kilometers wide, so theres a definite relation to be seen. youd need a moonsized object moving in hyperspace to destroy a planet in collision

Why the fuck are these ships so big. ISDs were enormous and only 1600m.

Interdictor class star ships are used as Hyperspace blockade ships to pull craft out of Hyperspace. Hyperspace is kinda like space folding where you travel through an alternate dimension of sorts, only things with massive gravity shadows like stars or Interdictor class star destroyers can pull them out. Rian basically threw out the one good explanation for why Hyperdrives aren't used as weapons for his shitty "cool scene" and irreparably broke the franchise.

It's a pretty nihilistic series when you think about it. The good guys will never truly win, their successes will be forgotten, and they will accomplish little before more planets are destroyed and people wiped out no matter how many they kill to get there.

I feel exactly the same way. Why would I want to give any money to a company who doesn't give the slightest of fucks about the property they just bought?

only the original trilogy is canon

That's why Kreia was right. The villain was literally nihilism too.

Imagine if Thelma and Louis ended with them detonating the nuke they'd been carrying unmentioned in the trunk of their car all along. Everybody carries nukes in their car! Isn't a big mushroom cloud more visually interesting than just driving off the cliff? Except it shits all over the setting and makes it impossible to take seriously. "Impossible to take seriously" is the distinctive characteristic of MCU flicks, and now the Disney poison is seeping into other franchises. I'm sure glad I'm not a Star Wars fanboy.

Well duh, this no doubt came up when they created it for A New Hope.
Some dumb faggot thought they were smarter than Lucas' guys yet didn'/t seem to care or realise the consequence.

Jesus christ.
So lets get this straight, in 7 they ruin hyper space mechanics one way by saying you can jump through shields.
Then in 8 they ruin it a completely different way by saying you can physically collide with objects in hyperspace.
You can explain away either one of those, but not both.
Shouldnt be suprising, this is their agenda. They want anyone with an analytical mind, or an eye for detail to lose everything they love and die out.
They wont address this in any way, they want the people who are bothered by these kinds of things to suffer and die, that is the truth.
They are breeding us to all be feelers, thinkers are not desired, the elites can do your thinking for you.
Know your place goyim, and enjoy the new Star Wars film.

I don't think she was in hyperspace yet when she crashed into the ships. Still doesn't change how ruining this is.

what if episode 9 is completely surreal nonsense that gets crazier and crazier until its 10x worse than tlj and then at the end theres a 4th wall break and they just tell everyone to fuck off and star wars is over. god i wish that would happen

what iif the end of episode 9 rey looks at the camera and says "no, i am star wars" and then it cuts to black

>defense exists and has existed to patch plot holes
>big fuck-ass ship didn't have any of it

>I'd like to say "oh maybe it's too big to move but since it ate the sun it was orbiting...
I had forgotten that plot hole had even existed.

Finn:
>How will we get in there?

Han:
>These shields have a fractional refresh rate, it keeps anything travelling slower than light speed from getting through.

Finn:
>WE'RE MAKING OUR LANDING APPROACH AT LIGHT SPEED?

Chewie:
>AAAHHHHH

It doesn't work. There's no easy way to write around it.

If you say "the drive was damaged" then reproducing that effect on the on other ships immediately becomes the most important weapons project in warfare, for both sides. Both sides would launch hyperspace-ram Manhattan projects until they figured out how do it to any drive. They already know its possible now. Its the most powerful weapon in war. It makes a single ship a fleet killer.

He really did break space battles forever in sw.

This. And Leia's spontaneous ability to Force fly through space. And Ghost Yoda's ability to call down lightning. And Luke's ability to Astral Project across the galaxy. The whole canon is just fucked unless you completely ignore this steaming pile of shit.

You know what's sad?
It would have been so easy to weaponize the hyper drive without creating this plot hole.

>Apparently the entire First Order fleet is exclusively made up of huge, clunky vessels
>Fuel up the transports, make them ready to abandon ship on a moment's notice
>Initiate lightspeed jump
>Jump right next to a star, so close just close enough where your smaller, faster vessels can escape its gravitational pull, but capital ships can't It's kind of bullshit, but the sort of bullshit Star Wars would get away with
Bam. Wiped out the enemy fleet. Whoever piloted the ship probably doesn't have time to make it back to the transports, so we get the emotional sacrifice. Transports and a few smaller vessels from the First Order fleet can chase eachother to a nearby planet and continue the movie.

Hell, they could even have included a scene as the First Order admiral realizes he just fucked up, where Holdo or whatever her name was hails them on comms and delivers a quip. Now it1s even more Disney.