What's this style of writing where you posit a dozen questions within the narrative without ever knowing the answers to...

What's this style of writing where you posit a dozen questions within the narrative without ever knowing the answers to them?

Other urls found in this thread:

syfy.com/syfywire/little-known-sci-fi-fact-vader-wasnt-originally-going-be-lukes-father
youtube.com/watch?v=krHwUKp0CWE
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Kafka-esque

Sniffing of le fart.

tv pilot writing

Abramsing

He would have answered them if he written and directed TLJ.

Lostism

It's an inherently cynical and misanthropic way of generating interest in otherwise dull writing.
You don't write compelling characters or exciting adventures, you just add something strange without any explanation.
This is very effective because it
>allows you to get away with sloppier writing
>generates fan interest and discussion
>can be chained with other mysteries for longer stories
>people are generous and will assume you have some clever solution right up until the moment you reveal that you don'y

That's called "writing"

No writer waits to start writing until they know what every single word is going to be from start to finish, that's insane.

Babylon 5 did it

>that hair
JUST

The X Files. Except that had better atmosphere, dialogue, and cinematography than JJ's stuff, so it worked. For a while.

Being a tv hack

I unironically love JJ

Lovecraftian

never seen it but i still doubt you.

Lucas knew the whole Luke/Vader arc at least

Le' mystery box.

The Lost

But that's done for the purpose bringing mystery into an already bizarre and strange story. This is fucking Star Wars. Just like the prequels where there's no real protagonist that had negative affect on something that's supposed to be clear cut to the audience, throwing in all these plot elements only for them to be nipped in the bud also has a negative affect. Also doesn't help that this movie was written well before TFA was done and only little changes were made. TFA kept showing Rey having these flash backs to being brought to Jakku for some reason, meaning it was important to the audience. TLJ says "LOL they were just some drunk assholes that sold you off into slavery" rather than it being something significant. Will we meet them in IX? Who the fuck knows, for all we know that was also a lie and they were actually some super important people because this whole thing is being made up as they go along without anything talking to each other.

The Lindelof

Jews jewing.

Hacking known as Sup Forums

An early draft of the Star Wars sequel (which ended up being Empire) didn't have Vader as Luke's father, Luke met a spirit version of his father during his training.

What the hell are you talking about

I hope film students are learning about this. The legacy of Lost and pandering to social media for views.

>Lack of diversity on TV can push people towards ISIS

NIGGA WHAT

and people seriously think kylo is a better villain than sheev

A fundamental truth about writing that is often not realized by fans: Writers are imperfect human beings just like the rest of us who can only think a few steps ahead at a time. It's impossible to perfectly plan out every plot point from the get-go and many of your favorite plot twists were thought up spur-of-the-moment.

I don't want to live on this planet anymore.

niggaWAT!

Making shit up

syfy.com/syfywire/little-known-sci-fi-fact-vader-wasnt-originally-going-be-lukes-father

this isn't very surprising.

Babylon 5's story arc and background started getting fleshed out around 1984-85. I think it didn't actually start until 1993 or 1994. It's great because of it, except in the end the fourth season looked like it would be the last so they had to basically wrap the story up, but then it got renewed and they didn't really know what to do with the story.

I actually would've loved to have seen his "The Last Jedi". The Force Awakens ironically failed due to its safety net, but JJ's direction is what in my opinion made it work well enough to be enjoyable.

Everyone knew that the next one could not be an Empire Strikes Back remake, so JJ would've needed to do something different, like Rian did, but his film was a hard swing without ever looking at the ball. JJ on the other hand knows the characters he helped come to life in The Force Awakens, so he probably also had some course for them in mind. And of course we can't know what he would've done with the story, but I strongly believe he would've answered some questions better and utilized the things he set up. That combined with the streamline direction and a new direction could've made something pretty great.

Of course this is all just speculation, but I really do feel like JJ would've been a much better choice to direct The Last Jedi (or whatever his version would've been called) and I'm honestly glad he's back for IX. This trilogy is most likely beyond saving, but we might still have something good coming our way with IX.
If there's another Death Star I'm gonna chop my dick off though.

That was just misdirection so that the plot twist wouldn't get leaked.
youtube.com/watch?v=krHwUKp0CWE

There's a whole book about it called The Secret History of Star Wars. First 100 pages are available online. Worth a read, although I can't vouch for the accuracy.

> →
the force is stronk with thine