Why reference a movie that your audience is guaranteed to have not seen?

Why reference a movie that your audience is guaranteed to have not seen?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=bsPgmgOz3Wo
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

but I loved demolition man

Parents watching with their children

Because they wanted to

Take your pick

Kids probably haven't seen many movies, user. Did you want there to be no references at all?

Epic memeing, my friend.

Yes, user is hyper-autistic.

>He says about the show made by the man who DEMANDS a Big Lebowski reference in anything he or his wife works on.

>because you want to
> because it's fun
>because someone might notice
>because the reference is fun for the audience even if they don't get it (Samoorai was great)
>expand their culture if they're interested in knowing where it comes from

wtf I hate gendy now

Because why not?

some jokes are worth bringing into the next decade

Some jokes are so strong, they can even transcend lifetimes.

Like for example in The Ballad of the Daltons there is a sequence of Joe's dream where the whole joke is "remember that classic musicals? now are singed by Daltons"

Do kids nowadays could even understand this?

youtube.com/watch?v=bsPgmgOz3Wo

There's a movie with a black punk samurai talking shit to a real samurai?

that is Craig McCracken you stupid

I dont remember the reference

No wonder Craig is wasted now

Let's be honest. Some folks cannot handle that a creator may put in a reference that is solely for themselves and not explicitly for every audience member. (Appropriate MST3K quote -not- listed to exactly make that point.)

Because a well-executed reference adds to story if you understand it, but doesn't detract from it if you don't.

The art of the subtle reference is dead, because creators are shallow retards who just want to be like "HEY, REMEMBER THIS? LOOK AT IT AGAIN! HAHA, IT'S FUNNY THAT IT EXISTS AND WE BOTH ARE AWARE OF IT!!! SUCH GOOD WRITING!!!".

I never watched MST3K. Explain.

Name five references that would not fall into the latter category from any point of recorded history

When I was a little kid I got the reference. HBO use to show that movie a lot

It's a quote from the special "This is MST3K" concerning all the obscure references used in the show:

"We never say, 'Who's going to get this?' We always say, 'The right people will get this.'"

This guy gets it.

Yes

Because you like the movie and want to pay it homage.

Fistful of Dollars was wholly a reference to Yojimbo, which was wholly a reference to the book Red Harvest. You've got stuff like the first season of True Detective, which uses the short stories of Robert W. Chambers as a reference point.

Referencing something or paying it homage doesn't have to be a joke, user.

The right people usually do.

MST3K was terrible, I'm happy that it becomes less relevant every year. How anyone used to find it funny, I'll never know. Such cringey attempts at humour...is that what people used to laugh at?

how is middle school?

I never understood the reference until this thread. Still found it entertaining as a kid so what's the problem

There's a difference from being influenced by something and referencing it. Try again.

It's like finding those old """comedy records"""
It was a different time

Not a clear difference.