How come this show is so hard to explain? Everytime I ask someone to explain this show to me, they say

How come this show is so hard to explain? Everytime I ask someone to explain this show to me, they say

It's about Fry who lands in the future and

it's really hard to explain

Keep in mind that except for The Simpsons, I have never watched adult cartoons in my life. I was mostly a Nickelodeon kid watching 90s and 2000s shows from Nickelodeon

why dont you just take 22 minutes of your life and watch it

Personally I think this show aged like milk for the most part, but it's basically The Simpsons in the future with a tighter overarching plot.

Guy accidentally falls into a cryogenic chamber and wakes up in the year 3000, where he has craaaaaaazy adventures delivering packages across different planets with a foul mouthed robot and a strong independent cyclops.

You gonna pay me for it?

ok, I'll spoonfeed you
>it's December 31 1999
>there's this guy named Philip Fry, an early 20s guy who's life sucks
>he works as a pizza delivery boy
>he delivers a pizza to a cryogenics lab, that turns out to be a prank call
>at exactly midnight he falls into a tube and gets frozen for a thousand years
>he wakes up on December 31 2999
>to make a long story short be becomes friends with a Cyclops woman named Leila and an alcoholic robot named Bender
>they all get jobs at a delivery company where they travel all throughout space to deliver packages
>their co-workers include:
>Fry's great-great-great-(ect) nephew a crazy old scientist named Proffesor Fransworth
>a ditzy but nice asian girl named Amy
>a Jamaican bureaucrat who takes his job very seriously name Hermes
>and a Lobster like alien named zoidberg who is a doctor despite not knowing anything about human anatomy
there's a lot more characters and plot points to it but that's the basic run down, I'd recommend starting it from the beginning but there isn't all that much of a plot so you can watch basically any episode you want and you'll still enjoy it even if you don't know certain people or don't understand some things about the show

its literally nothing like the simpsons

Show follows fry a guy who froze him self a few seconds after the year 2000 started and woke up in the year 3000. The series follows his life as an intergalactic delivery boy and the wacky adventures the job causes. His friends are an alcoholic robot, a one eyed woman he has a cruse on and who can kick but, an Asian girl whose parents own mars, Jamaican stereotype boss, a lobster creature who serves as the companies doctor and the owner of the company is a distant relative of fry but is 90 years old which they'll often bring up as a joke about how fry is his great great great etc etc uncle. As the series progresses you meet a bunch of memorable side characters.

All you need to know is it has a lot of the writers of the classic Simpsons episodes but this time due to the setting they don't have to hold back and can go as crazy and imaginative as they feel. This show is probably one of the main reasons Simpsons slowly went to shit after season 10 as a lot of its best writers were busy trying to make Futurama a success

>How come this show is so hard to explain?

Because the setting and basic character elements don't have much to do with what makes the show good. It doesn't matter that it happens in the future, or that the 'main' character is from the year 2000, or that the other characters are a cyclops, a robot, a lobster-alien, a martian, a mad scientist, and a bureaucrat. What makes the show good is the characters' personalities and the interactions they have. The fantastical setting is just a backdrop for that.

Ever consider you might just suck at explaining?

I am actually decent at explaining, my friends for some reason suck at explaining. They can explain episodes of Blue's Clues, Rugrats, CatDog, and SpongeBob though, since they are very simple

>it's basically The Simpsons
>it's basically The Simpsons
>aged like milk
You're retarded

Delivery boy from 1999 becomes a delivery boy in the year 3000

Wacky adventures happen. THE END.

Nigga, it's just a dude from 2000 that ends up in the future like 3000, gets new friends and just future stuff happens

Have you tried just watching it?

It's about a group of self-centered sociopaths who
are all best freiends and go on adventures lampooning classic sci-fi stories and settings, but you don't have to be a sci-fi nerd to appreciate them because they're just fun, my good chum

>aged like milk

Sup Forums poster spotted

A guy from 2000 is frozen until year 3000. This isn't hard.

>it's a comedy about a guy that got accidentally frozen and woke up 1,000 years in the future and now has wacky hijinks/adventures with his delivery coworkers.

Really not hard to explain

The humor and the characters are similar.

Ill pay for it...for money.

Futurama is about Philip J. Fry, slacker pizza delivery boy how gets stuck in a cyrogenic freezing chamber on New Year's Eve 1999 and wakes up New Year's Day 3000. He soon ends up being a slacker delivery boy at Planet Express, ran by a Professor Farnsworth, an crazy mad scientist who happens to be Fry's only living relative in the year 3000. His co-workers include Bender, a foul mouthed bending robot with very few morals who is also Fry's new best friend, Leela, a no-nonsense cyclops pilot Fry harbors feelings for, Amy, a rich ditz from Mars, Hermes, the company bureaucrat, and Dr. Zoidberg, the company's crustacean-like alien doctor who knows next to nothing about human biology. Together, the cast has incredibly hilarious science fiction adventures that poke fun at modern sensibilities and sci-fi tropes.

tl;dr Its a sci-fi comedy cartoon made by the last decent group of Simpson's writers.

Which, oddly enough, is the key to go SF writing; it's the story itself that should be the most engaging part, not the setting.

All of the tearjerker episodes of Futurama are still tearjerkers, even without the SF elements. The episode about Fry's dog would still be sad even if the whole "dog regeneration" thing wasn't in it, because the point is that his dog still waited on him and Fry didn't know. The episode where Leela finds out who her parents are is still sad without the whole mutant/alien thing, because its still about finding family that loves you. Hell, even if the Holophoner Symphony episode was Fry showing a movie or a regular play, the ending would still be moving because Leela still wants to see how it ends.

American version of Red Dwarf done by the Simpsons creator.

It's not hard to explain at all. No one actually thinks that. It's a sitcom style comedy cartoon show about the future and how ridiculous our current society is

The CC seasons will definitely age badly, but I don't agree about the earlier stuff. There used to be more care put into timelessness. My only complaint it's not quite as funny as I remember it being as a teenager. Speaking as a huge fan of both, Simpsons is a masterpiece, Futurama is just a good show.

It's... really not that hard to explain.

A loser delivery boy in the 21st century gets frozen for a thousand years and awakens in the 31st century to become a loser delivery boy.... in space. Wacky adventures ensue with his alcoholic best friend robot who's a huge jerk and his tough, no nonsense cyclops love interest.

Even simpler: futuristic animated sitcom.