Venom Retrospective - Part 4: Venom's Reformation

-- Part 1: Pre-Venom
-- Part 2: Venom vs Spider-Man
-- Part 3: Jungle-Fu & Carnage

When we last left our symbiotic duo, Venom had teamed up with Spider-Man to defeat his offspring, Carnage.

That went south, though, when Spider-Man betrayed Venom and had him captured with the help of the Fantastic Four.

Lets see what happens on special issue of Spider-Man: Presenting... THE TRIAL OF VENOM!

Last thread made me wanna draw venom
hows it look?

Geez. Venom sure spends a lot of time at The Vault.

Looks great! Next thread will see our first lady symbiote.

This is the shit I grew up with and got me into comics.

It's funny, re-reading it it's actually really bizarre and sometimes hilarious. But at the time I though Venom was the coolest motherfucker ever, and I'm not quite sure why because I was never the kind of kid who thought heroes should be edgy or kill people. Venom was a villain to me even back then.

Also from memory I've always thought of this art as just a lame McFarlane xerox job, but looking at it now it's actually really good, the artist's stylization shows through impressively and there's a great attention to detail you didn't see that much in comics at the time.

Just to mention: the "Stan Lee presents" thing made me think, as a kid, that Stan Lee still wrote the comics, which I continued to believe for a pretty long time. The actual credits page didn't even register with me.

That's actually really good!

Thanks, I tried to mix in elements of new edgy venom, but maintain the cartoony slightly goofy comic style venom, while adding my own twist on it (mostly the stripes and teeth) and keep him having human foot and now claw foot.

that's because he's a natural treasure........of comedy!

fun fact, this was a special mail away issue, I believe it was considered non cannon for a while, but it might've been include d now.

It might have beena part of Marvel's mail away subscription plan from back in the day.

Correct. This is a special comic that was initially only available if you made a 5USD donation to the UNICEF.

It was always consider part of continuity, though.

Oh boy here we go

He rubs it in Matt's face, right? Right?

Venom stays locked in the Vault for a bit. Our first tease of what happens to him is at the end of Amazing Spider-Man #373.

For those who don't know, Peter's parents show up during the late 300s in ASM. There is a bit of a twist, though. If you're reading through all of ASM, the issues being storytimed in this thread won't reveal/spoil the twist.

Is...is DD seriously trying to justify Venom's actions?

>Puking up a symbiote

That's simultaneously disgusting and amazing at the same time.

He is helping the (allegedly) helpless.

Speaking of special comics like this, are we going to read Incredible Hulk vs. Venom too? That one has one particularly incredible scene in it.

Bagley's Venom is best Venom.

I love how fictional blind people are always so sassy.

Honestly, I wasn't planning on doing it. It doesn't really say much about Eddie/the symbiote (their mental state, relationship, etc) and doesn't have a firm place in continuity. It can fit pretty much anywhere both Venom and Hulk don't have much going on in NYC.

So he would have actually been reformed if Peter hadn't harassed him?

Something was bothering me about the early encounters with Venom. And now I know what it was. Not enough Spider-Man quipping.

Glad to see that's back in full force.

Those early fights were all serious business because Venom went after MJ. Peter doesn't fuck around with enemies who know his secret identity or can attack his family.

Eddie's. To be fair, Eddie never did do anything before the Symbiote merged with him. And he does reform later in the comics.

Looks good .

Well, he "reforms"... kinda. He never becomes a straight and legit hero.

Well, at least he didn't kill him.

Fair enough.

Bagley draws the best Venom transformation scenes.

You know, this Petey thinking just wailing on Venom is gonna do ANYTHING got old fast.

Man, I keep seeing that Silence of the Lambs quote everywhere lately.