Hey

Hey

This show doesn't deserve all the hate it gets.

I feel like this, like MLP before it, is getting a lot of flak for pushing some fictional feminist/tumblr/SJW/gay agenda

Because boys aren't allowed to be girly, or like girly things, or show any kind of emotion in our society, even though girls can be as boyish as they want.

The animation isn't anything great, sure, same as every other recent cartoon out there, and the 11-minute-episode format is cancerous, but those are symptoms of the industry as a whole, and the show manages to be good despite that.

The characters are interesting, the songs are good, and it's the only cartoon in recent history that hasn't been screwed up by a forced romantic subplot being shoehorned in.

On the contrary, it's depiction of relationships is pretty good

youtube.com/watch?v=dHg50mdODFM

It's not as good as it could have been (nothing ever is) but what we have here is something that's genuinely above average, and in this day and age that makes it a real gem.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=tlacEkl9Muw
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

It belongs in trash

Sup Forums likes this show. The only complaint I see here is that there are too many boring, pointless filler episodes that focus on the uninteresting townsfolk, and rather than people complaining about the artwork being "bad", people are more upset that the artwork is decreasing in quality from the start of the show. If SU just always looked like it does now nobody would mind, but the fact that it used to look better is what makes it annoying.

This show had a pretty strong support base when it started out because the episodes were good. Now that the writing's falling apart on itself, no one really cares to stand up to shitposters.

It really feels like she had some sort of plan with the general story up until the point where Peridot joined the gems but after that she just started winging it and doing random shit.

I don't think the show is that terrible either. I think it's somewhat average.
I just enjoy seeing it flounder because I hate its fanbase.

Lets be honest... Sup Forums loves it. But so does Tumblr, our mortal enemy. So We cant openly like it. We have to be tsundere about it, which inevitably attracts the people who really dont like it. Then those folks attract the people who see tumblr and reddit likes it, therefore its even more bad. So the circle continues.

>I feel like this, like MLP before it, is getting a lot of flak for pushing some fictional feminist/tumblr/SJW/gay agenda

Am I the ONLY one that doesn't see sny of this when watching the show? People are just trying to point out things that were never there, all I see is a fun cartoon.

Gb2tumblr

There are a lot of lesbian relationships, a lot of people who aren't white, and a lot of characters with unusual body-types like really fat, short people, buff girls, etc.

That's pretty much what people mean by SJW stuff. The show definitely has a feel of modern liberalism, but personally I think that's just a natural reflection of the staffs beliefs rather than a concerted effort to politicize their cartoon.

So, rather than a "sjw cartoon" it's more that it's just a show that happens to have been made by modern liberals, and that's enough to trigger some people

Nigga waltz right into Sup Forumsand not only defends SU, but the show who must not be named? Youre asking for it.

>The characters are interesting
Subjective, but I disagree.

Pearl's build around her obsession with Rose.
Garnet went from stoic, mysterious leader to MUH FUSION.
Peridot is a meme fountain/token autist.
Lapis has no character.
Steven's a moron.

Amethyst is okay, I guess.

>the songs are good
I mostly agree.

>and it's the only cartoon in recent history that hasn't been screwed up by a forced romantic subplot being shoehorned in.
Or they could, you know, write a good, non-forced romantic subplot.

>it's depiction of relationships is pretty good
Fuck no.
Ruby and Sapphire never get called out for being codependent.
Steven and Connie seem dead in the water.
Pearl still isn't over her fixation.
And despite what Zuke would say, Lapis and Peridot aren't a couple.

The family dynamic between Steven and the Crystal Gems is decently written, but the CGs are so fucking bad at parenting that it comes off as a reason to not let lesbians adopt.

>and in this day and age that makes it a real gem.
Fuck you and your shit pun.

Wasn't that around the point where Ian stopped working on the show?

Liberals should not be allowed to produce ANYTHING for children. Theyre all degenerates.

*autistic sobbing*

It's poorly animated.

It's flanderizing it's characters.

It's main character is annoying.

It's got plot holes.

The Jasper and Smokey Quartz fight is still a horrible abomination.

The world building is also horrible.

>There are a lot of lesbian relationships
Since gems are technically genderless, are only ever female in appearance, gets very very little screentime, and it's really just Garnet(Pearl is more of an obsession), this isn't much of an issue.

>a lot of people who aren't white, and a lot of characters with unusual body-types like really fat, short people, buff girls, etc.
So basically real life.

Also, SJW implies pushing an idea onto the audience, this to me just seems like cast diversity.

>Sup Forums likes this show

Speak for yourself faggots.

This show is a festering cancer upon western animation and anyone who likes it should immediately deepthroat a .44 magnum.

If they aren't female why is Rose called Steven's mother?

And how was she able to have a kid?

>Ruby and Sapphire never get called out for being codependent.

Because they're not. That's not what the word means at all.

Garnet basically represents a marriage. Two become one. Life partners, bound together, who have combined their lives and share things.

Garnet is literally their love.

>I am their fury, I am their patience, I am a conversation

Which is a very interesting, and mature look at what actual love between functional adults looks like.

Ironically this is a very conservative and traditional view of marriage, the song in the OP is a perfect example of a healthy way of dealing with the kind of mountain-out-of-molehill emotional baggage that tends to pop up in actual relationships

And the message is to stick through it regardless, unlike the modern view of hook-ups and divorces which is just do whatever you feel like with whoever you feel like.

It's actually one of the least SJW messages you could have.

>you need to die if you like a childrens cartoon show

Damn. I dont even like this show, but the sheer edge and lengths the haters go always baffles me.

Instead of whining about muh liberal agenda, why don't you and your ilk make your own damn cartoons?

Oh wait, you have.

They're all garbage.

>I feel like this, like MLP before it, is getting a lot of flak for pushing some fictional feminist/tumblr/SJW/gay agenda

You are either very young or have a very short term memory.

Ruby and Sapphire has an insanely toxic relationship. They literally cannot function like normal individuals without each other. It's less of a love and more of an obsession.

That's unhealthy.

Shapeshifting, you chucklefuck.

Oh im sorry. Im just trying to save this generation from degenerates like you. This is why society is as bad as it is, you pushing your satanic agenda.

No, malachite was a toxic relationship

(malachite is toxic in water, GET IT?)

>I hated you, I needed to take all my anger out on you, I enjoyed it, I never want to feel that way again

That's a toxic relationship.

Ruby and Sapphire are better as a whole than they are separately. They compliment each others strengths, and make up for each others weaknesses. They're not worse for being in the relationship, they're better.

>That's not what the word means at all.
>Codependency is a type of dysfunctional helping relationship where one person supports or enables another person's drug addiction, alcoholism, gambling addiction, poor mental health, immaturity, irresponsibility, or under-achievement.

>poor mental health
Ruby thinks she's worthless, and Sapphire can't make decisions without Ruby.

>It's actually one of the least SJW messages you could have.
I never said anything about it being SJW, mouthbreather.

They still cannot function properly without the other.

>Implying the far right is what SU haters subscribe to.

Just because one hates far leftist themes doesn't mean they like far right shit.

You don't understand, user is taking a joke baseball episode seriously where Ruby and Sapphire's discomfort at being unfused was exaggerated for comedic purposes and acting like that's an accurate representation of their relationship as a whole.

I think that's a bit of an oversimplification of the gems. All of them have rather complex personalities and motivations for a cartoon, with both obvious surface level personality archtypes like pearls "OCD perfectionist cleanfreak" and Garnet "stoic badass" but they also have a lot of secondary characteristics like Pearls constant bouts of envy and her extreme protectiveness, or Garnets violent temperament and borderline obsession with romance and relationships.

It's just a cartoon and they haven't really spent enough time on any one character to develop them too much since the keep flopping around and changing focus but I think the basic character personality designs are really solid

The moral of this show is to prove who is the gayest piece of shit on here. While it aims to show that gays are normal it does the opposite and makes them appear to be freaks.
FTR: Im gay and I detest this show.

What about on the ship?

What about the diner/motel episode?

Are you seriously calling Fake Characterization?

Its fine to be gay. So long as youre ashamed of it and know its a disease that children and god fearing folk should not be exposed to. Keep up the good work user.

In the mind of the alt-right, particularly on Sup Forums, anything other than white nuclear family that only interacts with other white nuclear families is degeneracy.

Nah, it's bad, and teaches kids that it's okay to behave like someone half your age, cry constantly, and be fat.

Well, it would if anyone but tumblrina landwhales were watching it, lol.

>Ruby thinks she's worthless, and Sapphire can't make decisions without Ruby.

Ruby is literally retarded and Sapphire has no spine. They would both be like that even if they never met each other, it just happens that they compliment each other very, very well and make an ideal relationship.

Homosexuality and transsexualism is a mental disorder.

This shows condones both.

>
>In the mind of the alt-right, particularly on Sup Forums, anything other than white nuclear family that only interacts with other white nuclear families is degeneracy.
Implying any of that isnt true. You just love to wallow in degeneracy. Not all of us are such disgusting degenerates.

It is okay to boys to cry.

If more people thought so, then maybe men wouldn't have triple the suicide rates of women.

Fat is another issue. It's certainly unhealthy, but we're in America so that boat has sailed.

>ideal relationship consists of two mentally ill individuals

Poetry

>
>It is okay to boys to cry.

I guess it is if youre a faggy beta cuck like Steven is.

>Oh im sorry. Im just trying to save this generation from degenerates like you.

Didn't know that sperging out about people who have different values than you on an Uzbek milk-fermenting board is "trying to save this generation". You are as impotent here are you are in meatspace, boy.

Look at who I'm replying to.

As much as people say this there's never really any episode where Steven is portrayed in a positive light for his weight. It's usually played for laughs or not mentioned at all, hell there was an episode were he purposefully started working out and he is shown training occasionally. Self improvement is a thing in SU even if the character designs remain mostly the same.

Expressing grief is fine. Steven had a mental breakdown over fucking cat cookies.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=F3eZia96N7c

Expectations going in: Half Alien Child becomes the savior of the earth, much speculation is because his design is reminiscent of Goku.

What I Got: Cry babies. Bad singing. Implied sex in a child's cartoon. Hit and miss humor. Meh action scenes.

Diagnosis: Disappointment. I really don't give a shit about gender politics or pushing a political agenda in cartoons or blah blah blah. Art tends to be political, some more in your face than others. Overall it's a weak cartoon that really hasn't gotten better as the "story" has """""progressed"""".

This

If real life relationships consisted of the two people in the relationship using space magic to transform into a single individual which removed all of their mental illnesses then yes, I would say that is an ideal relationship.

Watch a good cartoon.

Hahaha typical liberal. This is Trumps America. We won. You lost. Get over it.

The fact that they transform and become literally their relationship and nothing more is bad. A relationship consists of two separate but equal individuals bounded by love and shared interests/ideals.

Ruby and Sapphire literally cease to exist in in Garnet. That's a horrible message for relationships.

>getting a lot of flak for pushing some fictional feminist/tumblr/SJW/gay agenda

100%, unequivocally, indisputably, objectively false. Steven Universe is getting flak due to the drastic drop in quality over the past two seasons. Anyone that tells you otherwise is baiting you.

Stop being a faggot, OP.

I ain't reading that wall of text. But yeah, it's a decent show if you appreciate decent characterization, songs, and a few good character designs. If one has a problem with shitty and inconsistent animation over the positive aspects then they may not like it.

I have to agree with this statement.
Why pointlessly cling to this show when there are better shows out there?
It's not like a horrible snowball/ripple effect will occur because of one show.

That and the plot stagnated compounded by the insane scheduling makes it hard to get invested

>good characters and character design

Yes we all know the wonderful designs that are Lapis and Peridot

Or the shitload of townies that are literally killing the show

>WE

You didn't do shit m8. You're going to die alone and unloved, and your only accomplishment will have been shitposting anonymously on a forum for child's cartoons.

Why not both? I like cartoons of all kinds. I enjoy the Venture Brothers AND Steven universe!

Garnet is more powerful and useful than the combined efforts of Ruby and Sapphire, so actually she's more than the sum of her parts. They also don't cease to exist. The mind of fused individuals persist while simultaneously forming a combined gestalt personality. It has been shown repeatedly that full and complete individuality remains within the mind of a fused individual, although they tend to try to stay in sync with each others decisions so the fusion doesn't collapse. For example, when Steven when inside Malachite and had a conversation with just Lapis alone.

Cry more liberal.

NO YOU DONT YOU IDORT

I just believe that there could be better interpretations of the concept of homosexuality than interpreting them as extraterrestrial lifeforms. I would like to see something based on the manga "My brothers husband" which teaches about the morality and awareness of homosexuality, and I mean in all forms not just woman as this show portrays, which I find to be sexist.

No homosexuality is wrong and immoral.

>Bad Singing

Alright, I can let the rest go because Opinions, but if you don't think Rebecca Sugar has a beautiful singing voice I just don't even

youtube.com/watch?v=tlacEkl9Muw

How did the art quality on this show get "worse"? I just don't see it.

Characters always went off model, made weird faces, Animation errors etc. Go back and watch the first episodes. It looks basically the same.

Only thing that really changed is that Steven slimmed down. But everyone hated that he was fat anyways.

Is this a "su critical" tumblr thing that I'm just not seeing?

I use SU as a counterweight to what I regularly watch.

Mike, we've been over this. It's fine.

Well shes gotta have SOMETHING beautiful cuz that face sure as hell aint cutting it.

>that makes it a real gem.

did you seriously write this whole post just to make a pun

The show is shit and its autistic fags need to be gassed

>I just believe that there could be better interpretations of the concept of homosexuality than interpreting them as extraterrestrial lifeforms

Bro, this isn't Japan. You can't get away with just saying "they're gay" in an American children's cartoon. This kind of space rock bullshit is the only way to make it fly.

Even Korra could only do
>implied

Says the one who thinks that he's saving the world by shitposting on Sup Forums l m a o can't even make this shit up

>this one episode which they put 90% of their attention into because they were spurging over a guest animator has a good moment, though the rest of the episode was an infuriating cock-tease of hamfisted attempts at parallelism and tacky drama made from talking points not drawn from a realistic 14 year old's head, but from the fandom's expectatinos
Sure but the rest of the season has been trash. In fact everything since the end of Season 1 has been one great big disappointment. They lost what they had AND they failed to deliver what they promised.

>lmao
>>>/reddit/

I'm pretty confident that the themes of this show have already surpassed PG rating for minors, it just assumes that children are aware of gayness, rather than explaining whats it about.

It's not about the amount of lesbians or whatever it's that a lot of critics excuse many of the story and pacing flaws that Sup Forums frequently points out about this show because they're just happy there is a show that has some lesbian or tranny symbolism and feel it's "important" so they give it top marks.

You have no idea what kind of backlash this would get if it had legitimately-biologically-female-humans in a sexual relationship, overtly, out there, as main characters, every episode.

America is about 50-100 years behind the rest of the developed world in that regard.

Critics are biased morons.

It deserves all the hate it gets
T. A fan

It has lazy storyboarders and an incompetent showrunner

It's funny that you think that showing non-white, non-heterosexual characters in a show is somehow "far left". Look beyond your shit country and read some real social history, fucktard.

>They were never able to draw Steven to height of the Gems since ep 1

Surprise surprise.

Rebecca is fine. Steven is fine. Fuck, even Pearl is decent.

The rest is absolute shit! Especially Yellow Diamond and those grating Pearl back up "singers" Why didn't they just hire different people to do the singing? Nightmare Before Christmas did it and nobody gives a shit.

>Roadrunner/Coyote homage

>song in the OP

>so Andy we heard you liked marriage so we thought why don't we all marry each other! and if that's not human enough for you we can throw in some being born and dying
>we're very sorry for your marriage

>is something wrong?
>yeah something's wrong YOU'RE A MILE IN THE SKY HANGING FROM A FLOATIN LADY

>Pearl kidnapping infant Steven and almost murdering him to bring Rose back

>the whole Blue Diamond / Zoo mini arc

>my face when people hate on season 4

> be you
> shitpost on an imageboard about children's cartoons
> mommy calls you downstairs for tendies and warm milk
> "Leave me alone mom, I'm SAVING HUMANITYYYYYYYYYYY!"

The episode with Stevens uncle annoyed me because it really stretched my suspension of disbelief how casually the uncle was taking the "magic space aliens" stuff.

Like, they are clearly not humans and are openly using magic powers but he acts like they're just mexicans or something. It was just confusing. Like, is magic something that everybody knows about on this universe, or do people just think they're normal humans with body paint, or what? What's going on here?

I know I'm overthinking it but it ruins episodes like that or the one where they have dinner with Connies parents.

>liberal on life support: the post

Anyone saying that this show tries to push an sjw or feminist agenda either have no idea what an sjw/feminist is, or haven't watched more than one episode.
Stop pushing this meme.

name a modern cartoon other than steven universe that has a main character in a steady homosexual relationship

>liking the worthless memedot episode

>liking the two parter filler memebarn episode

>liking the boring underwhelming episode about baby steven

>thinking any episode of the zoo arc besides That Will Be All was good

>iplying people don't hate on s4 for padding the show out with filler instead of moving the plot forward for longer than five episodes or developing characters we care about, flanderizing characters, and lazy writing for episodes

It's not homosexual because it's not sexual

Like korra, it's just >implied

MLP is the most redpilled cartoon on air.

Are "Memedot" and "Memebarn" memes?

If so, should we be hating on those terms too?

The "sexual" in "homosexual" is referring to the adjective of sexuality, not the verb of the sex act. They are both female gender and it's a romantic relationship. It is homosexual.