Was this a good movie?

Was this a good movie?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=BmkxKQIfmn0
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Considering that Godzilla is in the movie for all of 5 minutes, not really.

The Zilla design was good and the actual minster bits are solid. But the movie is bogged down with the killing of what could have been a good lead in Cranston and replacing him with a bland generic military guy, the music was also very underwhelming and distracted from the good sound design for the monsters. I enjoyed watching it in theaters mostly because I am a big Kaiju fan but it suffers from repeat viewings. but since it did well enough to reignite the genre in the west i'm fine with the first installment being a little mediocre since Skull island was an improvement so I'm optimistic.

So Skull Island is the better movie?

>Cranston killed off and replaced with cardboard leads.
>Boring as shit baddy monster.
>Obnoxious cinematography that deliberately obscures the action to hide how bad the action is.
>Terrible monster fights that are even more boring than the rest of the film.
Nah, it was shit.

Both are terrible, but Skull Island is slightly redeemed by solid performances from some side characters and some decent action cinematography. However, it also suffers from cardboard leads, shit badguy monsters and boring monster fights. The best part of the film is when the humans are just walking around and bumping into random monsters.

No. It was pretty bland for the most part. They should've kept Bryan Cranston alive as he was the only characters and he was interesting.
I liked the way Godzilla looked tho and it's still better than Skull Island. Now that is a shit movie.

I didn't like it the first time I saw it but I was 19 at the time and hadn't appreciated the slow-burn kino yet

Its an alright film, I really love the scene with Godzilla at the bridge, I like that interaction with humans more than him beating the shit out of a monster like a pro wrestler

Yeah. Quicksilver's story was trash and I didn't much care for the superhero ending, but it had some very nice cinematography, a consistently dark tone (again, minus the ending), and impressive world building. Great soundtrack too.
youtube.com/watch?v=BmkxKQIfmn0

the 1998 'Zilla movie was unironically better

Not really, no.

>Japanese Godzilla movie
>biting satire, fantastic cinematography, and relevant social commentary on japanese beaurcracy and american interventionism

>American Godzilla movie
>uh...he's a big monster...and he fights other big monsters

Killing Cranston was a huge mistake and his son was boring as sin, but it wasn't bad. It's at least a Godzilla movie unlike the last one America made, it's just not got a very interesting cast or story - should have focused more on Cranston and / or the Godzilla hunting guys with the asian dude.

>hadn't appreciated the slow-burn kino yet
Slow-burns only work when there is something to keep you engaged. For example, Jaws and Alien, the movies people liked to compare G14 to before they realized that comparison doesn't hold up in the slightest, have charismatic characters and fitting music that adds to the experience. What does Godzilla (2014) have? Killing Bryan Cranston's character was a mistake, not showing the first fight was a deathblow, and the completely lifeless second act was dancing on its grave.

Pretty much what everyone itt has said
H O W E V E R
>dat tail lighting up scene
There are enough great moments in the movie to allow me to overlook the shit ones.
Also soldier boy's scenes were completely garbage
>dat train scene
>dat halo jump
It could have been a great movie with some reworking.

Japanese godzilla movie was kinda bizzare in the way that it portrayed the military command as being totally competent and measured in their planning.
A hollywood version of those scenes would have had half the room whipping out their dicks in each others faces and sneering hubristically(?) about how their branch of the forces was going to be the first to take down the monster, because how tough can a lizard be?

98 was a fun giant monster movie but it had fuckall to do with Godzilla

the japs portrayed it realistically instead of hollywood over the top shlock.

Millie will save the sequel.

It had a solid first thirty minutes and held it together well enough until Godzilla shows up. From there it gradually fell apart until it completely jumps the shark with the Baby Godzillas.

I wish hollywood would follow suit. Its way more compelling to see a bunch of intelligent, sturdy soldiers have their clever plans casually pushed aside than the standard arrogant general trope.

*weren't

The military plan made no sense. They deliberately led three giant monsters into a densely populated metropolis to nuke with a nuclear weapon. And they allowed one of said monsters to walk across an entire state when they could have nuked it in the desert to check whether their weapons would be effective. Somehow they even slow track of that monster. Also, isn't military equipment EMP proof?

We're talking about shin godzilla.

I know. I was contrasting it with the military in the American movie.