Is Goku more recognizable and popular to millennials than any superhero not named Batman?

Is Goku more recognizable and popular to millennials than any superhero not named Batman?

Other urls found in this thread:

thetoptens.com/recognizable-fictional-characters/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Yes

Millennials don't care about Goku, they care about Naruto, because they have better taste.

Possibly. More likely if they're black or native american. Natives love them some DBZ.

Nope, manga will never be as recognizable worldwide as comics.

Superman, Wonder Woman, The Flash, Spider-Man etc are all more known than Goku

>goku ends up in gotham city
>goku is actually fooled by the Bruce Wayne persona
>goku and batman bond over how stupid bruce is

>Millennials don't care about Goku, they care about Naruto, because they have better taste

That's the funniest thing I've ever heard

Take your shit-taste and shove it up.

No, you're just around weebs and counter-weebs too much.

Ask a random football jock or theater nerd in high school who Superman is, they'll know. Ask them who Goku is, you got maybe a 30% chance at best.

Normies loved DBZ though, they don't like Superman at all. Maybe Batman or Spiderman though. DBZ was huge back in the day, it carried Toonami on its back.

You might have a case with the popularity; I wouldn't have great insight into that. But there's no way he is anywhere near as recognizable.

It doesn't matter if they don't like Superman, they know who he is. Dude's been a cultural icon in the United States for almost a fucking century now.

Normie dudes probably know who Goku is. Normie chicks will go "who?" And they're like %50 of the population in question.

No way. The brand recognition of something like Spider-Man, Iron Man, Hulk, etc. is incredibly high. Even TMNT and Transformers totally eclipse DBZ in terms of worldwide profit generation. And Star Wars is still number one of all time consistently after all these years

The Flash and Wonder Woman are not more known than Goku, you're kidding yourself.

Bait.

Of course not. Spider-Man, Superman, the core Avengers and the core X-Men are /far/ more popular than Goku. T

>September - Dragon Ball Z Number One on all cable TV.
* Dragon Ball Z was the #1 program of the week on all cable television
with tweens 9-14, boys 9-14, and men 12-24.
* The Wednesday, Monday and Tuesday telecasts of Dragon Ball Z
ranked as the top 3 programs in all of television - broadcast or cable -
for delivery of boys 9-14. (The closest competitor was CBS' Survivor
Thailand.)

You sure about that?

They definitely are.

nvm, killed my own argument. Wtf, it was just boys. Still interesting that it was this huge at the time.

>boys 9-14, and men 12-24
>women
Are you retarded?

Batamn, Superman and Goku are all on the same level of recognizion in millenials eyes, because of movies and cartoons, the same with pokemon

Go to any random millennial and ask them who Goku is.

I wouldn't say he's more recognizable than Superman or Spiderman, but he's definitely recognizable.

Honestly any random millenial will know any member of the justice league, except maybe Martian Manhunter and Hawkgirl. Same applies to Goku, and maybe Vegeta. It's impossible to gauge with the "ask any random person on the street" evaluation.

Dude shut the fuck up about millenials, everyone whose been alive for the last 30 years knows who Goku is.

Naruto is an unfunny Goku clone with a hideous outfit. Kid Goku was based and one of the best shounen protaganists out there, dude was beyond hilarious and really captured this country bumpkin trying to make sense of his world around him. Which is why Goku being retarded in Super still, is awful.

Not girls.

anyone born* in the last 30 years would know who he is. Our parents and grandparents most likely don't.

>naruto
>better taste
fuck outta here

Of course you can. You keep a chart of the characters you ask about and go up to a large portion of millennials. Then you ask if they know who said characters are individually, every time they recognize a character you leave a check next to their name. The one with the most checks is the more recognizable.

if people know about the flash, 9 out of 10 times its because of TBBT

From my experience? Not really. It depends on what you're talking here though. If you want to talk obscurity let me tell you a tale.

From what I've seen you can show pretty much anyone anywhere Spider-Man and they already know.

Having been in and out of an actual 3rd world spot during the late 90s and early 2000s I recall showing people pictures of DBZ stuff and they didn't really get it. There were certainly those who were aware of the anime hype wave Pokémon and DBZ were generating but if they weren't interested they did not know or care about the shows.

Spider-Man though was self-explanatory somehow. When Raimi's movie dropped everyone showed up.

I'm not exaggerating. Literally everyone in the city who could attend was there day one and everyday after while it was showing in all of the two cinemas in the entire city the place was packed around the clock. I don't even know if half of them even spoke the language, but they watched the thing.

And every store and restaurant had merch or themes riding on it. Short of the Matrix with the adult and teen crowd and maybe Harry Potter, but that was really just because the local schools had the books and that was really popular with the kids dragging their parents to see it, I'd never seen so much mass appeal towards something there.

Even with all I've been through since and with how slow life was there I get the feeling if I remember all that fuss they and theirs haven't forgot.

I don't think Batman Begins got as much hype, I don't know how TDK was received because I wasn't there at the time, but I visited for Avengers and funny enough the reception was much more tame despite how well it did elsewhere.

But Spider-Man? He was probably bigger than religion for those few weeks.

Except literally no one is not going to have heard of Goku or members of the JLU like Flash and Wonderman (let alone superman and batman) unless they've never grew up with the internet or cable tv in their life. You're literally not going to find a millenial who at least hasn't heard of their names or seen pics of em before.

The show didn't even get popular in America till 1999. You're deluding yourself if you believe this is true.

to be fair when it was popular it was really god damn popular
I could see goku being more popular than the flash at the very least though guys like superman and spiderman are virtually guaranteed to be more popular than him

>a character that was super popular in the 90s and 00s
>current show is a shell of its former self with shows that adapted and improved its template outdoing every single week

Please, you're better off posting Saitama.

It's not about liking Superman just like most people don't like Mickey Mouse, but it's a brand that everyone seems to recognize.

Goku, I don't know. By the time he got popular, the public was already starting to splinter. Things like cable TV and video games and even the Internet, while new, split people's attention.

It's so much harder for something to become a truly shared cultural icon these days then it was when Superman, Batman, and Mickey Mouse for example first appeared. At one time "watercolor shows" were things pretty much everybody watched, now it's unusual everyone in the office is watching the same thing. There are so many channels and other sources of entertainment and even in the 90s that was starting to be true. Gaining a foothold is really hard and has been for a while.

It doesn't matter if it was popular during then, that's why I asked specifically about millenials. Of course a lot of Superheroes are more popular among our parents and grandparents.

Meant to say watercooler. But yes at one time I think people had more of a shared media experience that was already not there when Goku first appeared.

True Superman is an icon even if he isn't popular with the younger generation. But I don't know I feel like Goku was like spongebob tier for millenials (or am I overblowing it?), DBZ was huge and games were made all the goddamn time. I don't think he's as popular with kids born post 00 but for people born in the 90s and mid to late 80s, he was definitely their "Superman".

Pleb pls, the common burger doesn't even know who Naruto is.

Not even close. This is the second most recognized symbol on the planet after the cross.

sincerely doubt it, maybe in a study that was done years ago
but right now I'm willing to bet the facebook logo beats him quite easily

I'd put the Disney logo over it.

Look it up, I did. There are places in Africa that have never had running water that have heard of Superman.

The batman logo does. Then again batman is in a league of his own and transcends superheroes. There's Batman and there's superheroes.

You mean besides these guys (and girls)?

there's a good chance by now they've also heard of facebook despite never having handled an electronic device in their lives

Coca cola logo comes first.

Goku's not even close to Spider-Man.

Normies know Superman, but he's not popular either. People don't 'like' superman anymore, they just recognize him.

Iron Man is also more recognizable with millennials than Goku. The Hulk is borderline.

USA maybe, Western world as a whole, Goku beats them quite easily.

Teen Titans was nowhere near as popular as DBZ rofl.

I think there are more people who know them for TTGO than the original TT at this point.

If normies didn't like Superman why do they care so much about his movies?

They will absolutely know who Goku is.

That's because they're the only still running business to have shipped liquid cocaine.

The Batman logo changes in every release, no one really cares about it.

You guys are insane. Teen titans was never that popular and ttgo isn't either.

what do you mean cared about his movies?

marvel made a movie about a talking raccoon that was more popular than all recent movies featuring superman combined

They don't, angry people on the internet do.

People care about Batman and Ironman movies a lot more than Superman movies.

>Buu arc shows that Goku has finally, FINALLY grown up ten years after dying, being a sarcastic cunt at several points and getting what people are saying without missing a beat, even tries to get his son to offer up his f2f to a dirty old man.
>Super reverts him to pre Jr. fight
whyyyyyyyyy

Actually Superman is the second most recognizable character around the world. First being Micky Mouse.

People forgets about Marvel movies 3 weeks after release. There are people still talking about BvS, but no one talks about Civil War anymore.

Dragon Ball is a global phenomenon that's been going for what? 30 years? Goku is pretty up on popularity scale and he is the super-being people can enjoy without the Americanism coming in the way like with Superman or Captain America.

But I doubt he is more recognizable to new generations tho, DC/Marvel characters have decades of history, even if you don't take part in the medium you end up knowing about them. Look at Superman, he sure is not as popular as he used to be but his symbol is basically an icon of merchandise so everyone knows about him.

But also he is not your run on the mill character, he is the ambassador of the upcoming Olympic games, he already passed the test of time.

Speed Racer and Astro Boy are more well remembered than Flash, let's be real.

You're ignoring Santa Claus, who beats both Superman and Mickey. Also, Sherlock Holmes is far more recognizable than Superman. And if merch sales tell us anything, Batman and Spider-Man have Superman beat.

Is Superman more recognizable than Darth Vader?

I wouldn't say that considering Spider-Man, Superman, and I'd even argue Captain America, Thor, Iron Man, Hulk, and Wonder Woman. But as a whole, yeah, he's one of the most recognizable fictional characters.

It's depressing though because Golu's popularity is at its peak when Super is ruining the fuck out of the character. Fuck Super in general.

on this board, and only because it sucked
for actual normies BvS was yet another bad movie their third cousin warned them not to watch

>I don't think he's as popular with kids born post 00
He is m8, I work at a children's Hospital and the kids eat the kai version. When the best wester action you can get comes from SU I understand why kids still watch it.

Then again, I live in Mexico.

Bait thread. Awaiting OP's ejection from Sup Forums.

>You're ignoring Santa Claus,
Santa Claus is a folklore character not a fictional one.
He wasn't created from media, he was created from traditions.

he's above darth vader for sure, its somewhat surprising how popular superman is, very few characters have actually beaten him at one point and they were all ungodly popular at their peak

>The I don't know shit poster

The first one is Santa, after Micky there are several characters like Spiderman and even Mario before you reach Superman.

Why is millennial a bad thing?

I was walking in the mall the other day for some reason, and walked by an art display done by kids from the elementary school and a bunch of them had goku.

modern santa may as well be trademarked by the coca cola company
very few countries have their christmas/santa myths intact

>Mexico

Nig, I thought Latin Americans loved DBZ even more than USA did?

Exactly, post 00 kids watching super and reruns may not be good evidence since it comes from Mexico.

>even Mario
Don't you start Sup Forums.

Superman is more popular than Goku, according to Google, likely do to the constant content being made for him.

Spider-Man is simple and universal, and his suit is full-body so self inserting is easier.

He can't fly, he isn't rich: he's a hero on a rope up against the odds, leaping through the air and coping with life. Everyone eats that shit up.

It also seems that Goku is only more popular in South America.

>Those MoS and BvS spikes
Fuck sake.

Mario is around Superman's level of popularity and has been ever since the late 80's, especially if we look at it from a worldwide perspective

>superman in Japan
What?

Anyone remember how big DBZ was at its heyday? Would it be a stretch to say it was the most popular CN show in its prime rivaling Spongebob? I remember kids doing the Fusion Dance in school right after the gotenks episodes aired.

I don't think Spider-Man is the most recognizeable or even the most popular (That's probably Superman and Batman), but I have always felt he is the most well-liked. I rarely if ever see anyone who really hates Spider-Man. Even Bats and Supes get some hate, especially Superman. But everyone seems to generally like Spidey.

China can't pick between being a dick to Japan or America and went with the fence sit I see.
Don't tell me there was just "insufficient data" for a sample that large.

you got to be fair though, aside from the spike, those lines have gotten pretty damn close since super gained momentum

This doesn't seem accurate

>Is Goku more recognizable and popular to millennials than Pokemon?

I doubt it accounts for translations. Of course there'd be more searches for the English version of Superman's name than the English version of 孫 悟空.

pikachu and charizard? No

The rest yes.

Kek

no one cares about goku in Japan, they have shit ton of better animes

I found this list in a quick google search
thetoptens.com/recognizable-fictional-characters/
We have no disagreements with it, right?