What makes this simple scene feel so emotionally resonant...

What makes this simple scene feel so emotionally resonant? Why does it feel like the modern films can't capture simple moments like this?

youtube.com/watch?v=1gpXMGit4P8

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=kyqxWU1QkrE
youtube.com/watch?v=rhwERykawlc
youtube.com/watch?v=DP3MFBzMH2o
youtube.com/watch?v=Tc7H9s4PdSI
youtu.be/iPaYTZp4bUc
youtube.com/watch?v=xtf7D1sFS4M
youtube.com/watch?v=ssYMFJRdo_U
youtu.be/WCenGKkj3YQ
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Because Kathleen Kennedy treats movies like amusement park rides instead of stories. Because babies are addicted to ipads. Because little boys can’t do a math problem without popping a couple of ritalin

>those imbeciles destroyed this character
im so pissed right now

It’s shot well enough, but watch it without the audio if you want the answer.

Scenes that are used to create ambiance, set the tone, or generally establish the 'feeling' of the film without doing anything to advance the plot or explore something about the characters are rare these days to the point where we don't know what to call those types of scenes. But really the reason is that when you are creating a product, it's hard to push a 'ok and then it's just a shot of like, the scene' "Why? That will cost $500,000 in crew alone. Fuck that."

george lucas

>there was more emotion in the scene without music telling me what to think

holy crap the music was holding it back.

because back then things were better

youtube.com/watch?v=kyqxWU1QkrE

this version has better quality but does anyone know how to get rid of the fucking ads in the middle

how did lucas shoot something this good, and then eventually crap out the worst parts of the prequels?

I don't understand your point. Without audio it still looks like a pretty poignant scene of a young man staring wistfully to the horizon.

Its funny because I got the same feel from that one scene where rey put on the helmet and just ate her food all happy and shit.

He had inspiration that wasn't himself.

when you create something from scratch you come up with a lot of good ideas. you have this blank canvas you can put whatever "feels" good on it. after that he had to make a bunch of paintings that went with the original painting.

this is the main reason sequels sucks.

because nothing is explained, yet the audience gets it. Luke doesn't say "one day, I'll follow my density" while he looks at the twin suns. The audience gets it purely through the visual. It also isn't undercut. If it was a modern movie his aunt would come out and say "are you looking at the sun without sunglasses again?"

When you watch the sequels, or honestly most new films, you get the sense they don't give a lot of space to breathe. Every scene needs to basically move along from plot point to plot point

I just mentioned this in another thread.

It's just basic filmmaking and storytelling.

It sounds like meme criticism - but modern films are too focused on set pieces and delivering Wow Factor to step back and deliver simple, basic, storytelling. They can do whatever they want visually thanks to the budgets, but they often neglect basics like writing, casting and simple filmmaking and the scores especially.

It's hard to find a film that connects with audiences in a huge way that's just a human drama now.

Look at how perfect a film like Rocky is - it made something retarded like 800 million dollars when adjusted for inflation, and it had these simple moments as it's back bone;

The middle turning point;

youtube.com/watch?v=rhwERykawlc

The montage;

youtube.com/watch?v=DP3MFBzMH2o

The ending (especially from 1:30 - listen to the score and how well it hits the cuts)

youtube.com/watch?v=Tc7H9s4PdSI

It's amazing that with all the technology and money and progress we have so many HUGE films (just look at the new Star Wars series) can't deliver on these fucking basics.

Because Star Wars was originally made by a young guy who just loved sci-fi. And Star Wars in 2017 is just a pure money-making franchise.

its still good

its funny because thats just the familly guy parody of that scene

>some day I'm gonna get off this boring rock
>And heres a "meta" joke

It's both personal and relateable, like american graffiti

Imagine if Man Of Steel contained a fuck ton of mood setting shots, like those in the trailer, and cut back on the 1 hour of endless CGI fucking battles.

Even decent enough Marvel flicks, like GOTG, could have been improved by fleshing out the pathos or comedy more and just cutting 15 minutes or so from the climactic battles, which go on for fucking ever, and aren't really impressive because they're all CGI.

because he was literally trying to make the most absurdly crazy outlandish sci-fi possibly using advanced filming technology

simple wasn't something he was going for in the prequels

Lucas wasn't a bad director. American Graffiti and THX were fine.

He just lost his marbles making Star Wars. It's why he didn't helm anything again until TPM.

Coppola also went off the rails around the same time.

but the man had an eye for kino, did he not? you would think he wouldn't totally betray it

Prequels have good scenes like this though, primarily Anakin and Padme staring across the city at each other as the sun sets.

It's also pretty straight forward and relateable for audiences.

>Wants to go to college/army/oil fields/fucking whatever
>Family wants him to stay at home in boring town he hates even though everyone he knows has already moved on with life
>Goes out and looks at the sunset all sad

As opposed to;

>wtf I'm magic and here comes space nazis and a black guy, quick, let's run and kill a bunch of people and let me pilot away in this old space ship!

He had a great team backing him up they weren’t just yes men. It’s pretty well established that SW would have been a disaster if Lucas had been allowed to use the original script, and that the film was saved in the editing process. And then V and VI weren’t directed by him. Which isn’t to say that Lucas is terrible, but he does need a good team to help shape his ideas.

his marriage falling apart during rotj didn't help either

It captures a sense of longing for adventure that all young men can relate to and is wonderfully punctuated by a brilliant and unforgettable musical score.

>It's just basic filmmaking and storytelling.
seems like this is the best answer so far. it's a monomyth exercise

careful user, you'll upset the contrarian ecosystem here that doesn't like new or popular things

digital film takes something away from the magic in film

>tfw if this scene was filmed today it would probably contain some funny quip so the scene doesn't feel too serious

where the fuck did it all go so wrong

it perfectly captures the moment in every young white man's life when they realize that whites are the worst race in existence, and their desire to become a better person (aka non-white). everyone can relate to this scene because everyone knows that whites are the worst, and all whites wish they weren't white just like luke did.

there were a lot more scenes about want than having to do something.

>It's just basic filmmaking and storytelling
judging by how audiences react to basic storytelling these days, it's too
boring" and cliche , or "pretentious" to have simple things like this anymore. People need to be spoonfed otherwise they don't get it. "Why is he's just looking at the suns? get on with the story"

people don't understand subtlety anymore.

I don't know, I feel like digital can capture these feelings. The opening credits of Social Network, for instance, when he's running across a lonely campus at night, felt very emotional to me.

you know what?

I feel like we've been saturated too much by parody that we actually like tropey stuff.
Just like people hated tropes so much they craved parody and created it.

Before I was tainted with angst, hopelessness and bias that scene gave to me a feeling equal parts winder, warmth, hope and wonder.

It always felt so fought. The same way the scene where Luke burns Vader's body fills me with a sense of closure. Moments in a childhood, unmatched by anything else.

I'm a LOTR far but star wars scenes like those abovw hitnme the same way; the hope of an insignificant young man making the world a better place with those who matter most to him, good people hanging on hope.

Yeah, I've seen people complain about The Deer Hunter a lot in regards to this.

>wtf what is all this shit
>Where is the war
>Holy fuck this is boring

It would be hard to keep a lengthy non plot scene like this today in a modern film. Imagine something like American Sniper having multiple sequences like this;

youtu.be/iPaYTZp4bUc

And yet...you've seen people turning back towards television in huge numbers - and it's not just because of the sex and swearing or higher production values - it's because it is now focused on long form storytelling allowing for moments like this that flesh out the world and characters and set the mood and tone of the piece much better.

ah yes, I liked the REMEMBER THE X WING REBEL ALLIANCE HELMET scene as well.

I think he's making the point, that the simple scene in Force Awakens is something they needed more of.

It has simple cinematography - only two angles so you can focus on what's actually happening

With modern movies this would be about 5 different shots, with a cut to his feed panning up to his face as he walked outside or something retarded

This is why movies like Lawrence of Arabia are so timeless and flawless - long, simple, panning shots of beautiful imagery. That's what it's supposed to be about

I think about this often - quite frequently I see even in shit tier movies, great potential shots if they'd just hold there for a few seconds and stop moving the damn camera so much.

STOP MOVING THE DAMN CAMERA SO MUCH. LET US SEE THE SET.

>those comfy shots of a quaint town in PA

Damn why did 70s films get this shit so right. its so comfy and kind of sad actually. Its like they really had a feel for capturing those mundane moments in our lives that meant everything

Because it has two suns

This killed me in TLJ. Feels like there is a cut every 3 seconds no matter the scene. Its like jesus, breathe a little

god, yes. i don't know what it is, maybe cameras are just so much easier to move nowadays that it becomes like second nature for a filmmaker to just throw in some kind of motion when they don't know what else to do.

There's still modern films that get it. Sicario for instance. You have the opening raid sequence, and they focus on dust bunnies near a window sill, showing how it's hot, still, flat and mundane. Then you get the wall exploding in.

But yeah, the lack of world building and atmosphere is something that bothers me with modern films, especially big spectacle films.

Some stuff is just straight up shit - most 80's action films (the decent ones at least) like Predator or Die Hard might have stupid, outlandish premises, but the actual writing is still high quality as is the directing and the casting/performances of the supporting cast.

Even right up til the 2000's Jerry Bruckheimer would ensure that things like Con Air had a certain level of quality even outside of the 'splosions.

But now it's just "fuck it, it's a dumb action movies, just give 'em the action and 'spolsions, no one cares about the other shit"

cuts every 3 seconds.

I hate modern editing. its not as bad as it used to be but sometimes its terrible. watch something and count how long something stays on a scene without an edit or cut. I blame MTV. they started this shit in the mid 90s and was a thing people used to talk about as being bad and annoying (same with handheld camera and tilting it every 5 seconds)

Yeah, directors need to realize a scene can mean more if they took their time instead of rushing everything. Though its not to say fast cuts aren't needed sometimes. it works in the Bourne movies.

>that it becomes like second nature for a filmmaker to just throw in some kind of motion when they don't know what else to do.

Its the easiest way to make a scene thats still have motion in it. its a super easy crutch for flat boring scenes to feel "alive".

Luke is a dude who lives in a dead-end town, all his friends moved onto bigger and better things while he feels like he's going nowhere.
He's 19, single, and lonely. He's relatable.

Rey is an orphan with amnesia, played by a spoilt bitch who despises fans of the OT.

that was the only part I liked

>stole his own scen from thx

lucas is a HACK

>orphan with amnesia
new star wars is an anime lol

Stop it user, you're making me feel things. I just want my eyeballs to be entertained. I don't want my mind or emotions stimulated.

Marvel and superhero movies have spoiled the ways of film making. Everyone wants the success marvel has had so everyone copy’s them

that makes sense

>perfect music
>perfect use of lighting
>perfect framing / optics
>solid acting (doesn't stipulate too much in an expressionistic capacity)
Capeshit decidedly skirts the traditional conventions of film in favor of feverish / delirious fight sequences because they're not telling a story as much as they're taking you on an amusement park ride.
Visual language is a more sensuous mode of catharsis than literature in the way that it can bypass your predilection for allegory and symbolism (or lack thereof) and strike you right in your soul when these basic conventions are tastefully fulfilled.
If the exact same film debuted in theaters in 2017, the response would be just as massive.

The obvious answer is audiences not being able to soak in a movie unless there's cheesy, ironic humor. The other reason is the utter disregard for the score. Music is the most universal language, and can do alot to convey the feeling of a scene. There's little interest in actually making scores a character in a film.

Lucas is great at setting, stories and creating depth in the universe but suck balls at character building and motivations.

The prequels were what happened when he was given full reign, the clone wars cartoon had him work with a team and that was the best star wars has been for decades because the team took his stories and ideas and built upon it and covered his weaknesses.

audiences will respond to what they're conditioned to expect, even modern ones. sure not everyone is going to be able to appreciate the subtle points of filmmaking that make all the difference, but if a movie that spoke to the feeling of this universal monomyth like star wars did came out today, audiences would respond

>nothing is explained, yet the audience gets it. Luke doesn't say "one day, I'll follow my density"
This exactly. If they had this scene in the new trilogy, Rey would be staring out at the horizon, and Finn would walk up and ask her what she's thinking, and she'd launch into some generic expository monologue about how she hates being stuck on this rock, and she wishes she could fly away and find her purpose in the universe blah blah blah.

There's no concept of "show, don't tell" in the big blockbusters these days.

Because no one understands humble stoicism anymore. No one understands what was going through Luke's mind in that scene.

Another example is in The Hobbitt.

In the book, early on, the gang reaches the top of a mountain. It's awful weather. In the distance Bilbo hears this thunderous booming. He peers through the rain and far off on another mountain he sees two stone giants throwing rocks at each other. It's a tiny moment in the book, but it served to show how Bilbo was seeing shit he never thought he'd see. He was so far out of his element, so far away from the Shire. It was a soul searching moment. A "Jesus. We are not in Kansas anymore." moment. It would have made Bilbo feel even smaller and weaker than he was, fill him with doubt, fear etc.

In the movie they turn this half page scene into a 20 minute action packed green screen chase sequence.

Because the modern audience wouldn't have gotten it. The modern audience wouldn't have understood the nuance. All the modern audience wants is capeshit, fights, chase scenes, explosions. NuWars is perfect for them. It's all they want. It's all they need.

>"one day, I'll follow my density"

Because this scene perfectly explains Luke without a single word. The desolate landscape and small hut show how unimportant his life is, but the gaze at the stars and deep swell of music imply a yearning for something greater.

>music suddenly stops
>Luke farts loudly
>"Daaaaaaaamn, this one took long to get out"
>audience laugh hysterically

This is a big thing TLJ lacked: proper pacing. Star Wars is an adventure film, not an action film. Every now and then the film should slow down and let us take in the moment. It's Star Wars, we're not going anywhere.

you'd think a film as fucking long as tlj could find some moments to breathe too

>you
Your father should've listened to sergeant dave

>being completely fucking oblivious to adblockers in 2018

How do retards like you even srvive on the internet?

wow the way you described it was too fucking real. Could seriously hear her dumb whiney accent and finn making some weird eyes trying to figure out what she was seeing.
>looks over
>looks at the sun set
>awkward pause
>looks back

youtube.com/watch?v=xtf7D1sFS4M

two and a half fucking hours

>He had inspiration that wasn't himself.
>when you create something from scratch you come up with a lot of good ideas.
what?

did you actually watch the video?

its this new thing youtube does like a few seconds before a video ends.

Nostalgia goggles.

I was just aatching the World is not Enough. I think that’s the point when movies had to have nonstop action every minute, only taking short breaks for exposition

this is such a good post.

Try imagining a fish in your head.

imagine never seeing a fish before, and I explain to you what a fish looks like.
What you imagine and show me will look radically different than what a fish really looks like, when I show you a real fish you'll likely correct your view of fish and immediately think of my example .

Thats how ideas work, Lucas' idea of starwars is what he created in new hope.
His "fish" was made up of stuff like flash gordon and old war movies.

god i love that scene but damn if the didn't just shit on all of it

I think the uploader himself has to disable the CSS that does it. Fuck Google.

Motherfucking bathos man. I credit that shits overuse and abuse to Marvel and Joss

We are post-sincerity. Everything must be ironic.

HAH! THATS FUNNY I FEEL GUD

if you look at the history george did not even deserve the directing credit. his wife and her team basically saved that shit

youtube.com/watch?v=ssYMFJRdo_U

pottery

If they filmed that final scene today, they'd feel the need to show us the entire decision being announced, rather than letting the Rocky/Adrian dialogue cover it up. Test audiences would probably complain that they couldn't make out what happened, after all.

But that would ruin the pacing, and would destroy the poignancy of the scene, since pushing the announcement to the background serves to demonstrate that the outcome of the fight isn't important.

>Breathe...just...breathe

I guess, yeah.

That scene was good but not as good. In fact the movie was pretty good up until the castle...

Let's be real here - the success of Star Wars rests mostly on the shoulders of the main trio. Their chemistry, acting, really made Star Wars magical, even if it wasn't "good" acting. And it's because they weren't just playing characters, but their characters were so in line with their real personalities. Mark and Carrie are both fiery, sassy drama queens, but still the nicest people you'll ever meet, just like Luke and Leia. Harrison Ford needs no explanation. These three were all great people and brought that magnetism to Star Wars.

Meanwhile, in the new trilogy, we don't even have a consistent grouping of heroes. Boyega is insufferable irl, and Ridley is basic. And thus, their characters on screen are nowhere near as compelling as the original trio.

The only saving grace, and I'm sure we all agree here, is Driver. Because he's legit an interesting person (marine turned actor) and channels his charming sperglord who's a true romantic in Kylo.

And Rey ends up being most interesting when a foil to Kylo because of that.

It's not just the characters, but the writing and actors. The original Star Wars was fortunate enough to hit those keys and made an immortal franchise

Starting from her salvaging star destroyer components up until this shot, this was/is a rare sequence in the new trilogy that had the ambiance and aesthetics of the OT. It's a shame that didn't last.

I don't think women understand on a visceral level the sort of yearning Luke is feeling in this scene the way men do. NuWars is made by women, and not even talented ones

exactly this

I'm not even a big Star Wars fan, but I think Luke's character was assassinated in The Last Jedi. I feel bad for Mark Hamill.

They worked backwards.

They cast actors who ticked boxes rather than writing good characters and then casting actors.

Ripley from Alien was written gender neutral. It rarely matters what gender the actor is if they're a good actor playing a good character.

Rey is female because they wanted a female protag to make it more marketable and so you can't criticize the character or movies.

Boyega is black for the same reasons but they went with a British black guy because he can fake an American accent that isn't a normal African American accent.

It's all ticking boxes. Look at Holdo.

They don't care about Star Wars or making good movies.

i get what you guys are going for, but i really feel the sunset IS a plot point and does serve a purpose. every scene in 4 serves a purpose, and thats whyi like it more than 5. 5 has things like the asteroid worm which doesnt add anything. the sunset adds so much to luke in 30 seconds with some music and thats why its incredible.

>They cast actors who ticked boxes rather than writing good characters and then casting actors.

yknow its quite common to write for actors right?

>tfw cheesy low budget 80's kids flicks put more effort into their film scores than 200 million dollar blockbusters designed to be tent poles for corporations to exist on

I've seen the video that talks about the Temp Score craze, but I don't understand how this is still an issue with modern films.

youtu.be/WCenGKkj3YQ

>What about my prime, Mick?

>If the exact same film debuted in theaters in 2017, the response would be just as massive.
The only part with which I disagree. I feel like audiences have grown to include people who lack the patience to even look at the screen without being spoonfed vapid information. If that weren't the case, audiences would've given more aprreciation to stuff like 2049, Sicario, and other films that rely more on images than, at worst, empty spectacle or, at best, meme sequences with some kind of hook that lets plebs go "omg the cinematography in that single take was so great!" or something along those lines.

undercut by the fact just moments ago she cant even do tally marks properly. i think this scene is more in line with luke playing with the space ship toy just after buying c3po and r2d2