youtube.com/watch?v=r076Z2BgpyY
youtube.com/watch?v=Ky1lSkkeRxk
youtube.com/watch?v=ns3tF0MawCM
youtube.com/watch?v=J3rmrgcd2gA
thestarwarstrilogy.com/starwars/page/Project-4K77
youtube.com/watch?v=SToTVUNG7NI
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Shitty VHS quality.

overrated manchild garbage. Every 5 or so years I say to myself, 'ok gonna try Star Wars again, if so many people love it I haveto be missing something'
Then by the time the first one ends I'm basically seething because I again wasted my time on what is a lazy piece of shit movie with an absolutely terrible story. I force my way through the other two and end up hate it more than I used to.

Good movies

Those segments at the start of those tapes were pretentious as fuck and I ate them up as a kid.

This one?

I've had it since it was fresh and new, but it doesn't really mean anything to me. I will relay this, however, I wanted to show my niece Star Wars when she was still young, and I popped it into the last remaining VCR on the planet, and in the first five minutes, Darth Vader walks into the ship and starts choking people with his magic.

The kid says "Mommy!"

So there's an anecdote about how my sister is a cunt and even her 2 year old kid noticed.

ok

this is the version of Return of the Jedi that doen't have "Jedi Rocks" in Jabba's Palace.

Isn't that, like, the best original unfucked-with version of the trilogy that you can find?

>Rambo naming structure
JUST

On VHS, yes. The widescreen Laserdisc editions are the best audio/video quality of the untouched original trilogy you can watch. Recommend on a 35 inch JVC or Sony Trinitron with S-Video connection.

Not the goddamn special editions

t. brainlets

I sincerely hope this is bait and you aren't actually this autistic user.

Never had it. I had theatrical Return of the Jedi on VHS and the Special Edition VHS boxset but I never owned this boxset for whatever reason.

YOUR LAST CHANCE TO OWN THE ORIGINAL VERSION OF STAR WARS THE GEORGE LUCAS MASTERPIECE THAT LAUNCHED THE STAR WARS TRILOGY

youtube.com/watch?v=r076Z2BgpyY

>renting 5 and 6 at the small locally owned video store down the street
>because we only had the vhs of 4 at home
Different times user, different times.

the last official release of star wars that was actually good

I saw A New Hope on this when I was really young but never saw the others until that 2004 box set with all the edits

I have a OT DVD boxset that has the Special editions and then the original theatrical editions on a separate disc. The originals transfers were gimped though, 4:3 letterbox and no surround sound. Still means I can watch them though.

nothing

Ah the 90s

Looking back on it, everything about that era was inconvenient as fuck but the movies seemed more important because they were harder to acquire. There was a real sense of rarity to the occasion.

That being said, VHS was shit and I don't miss the format at all.

>widescreen vhs
What is this, a movie for ants?

A lot, because it was the covers I always saw and rented at Blockbuster as a kid. Means a lot to me.

oops wrong thread. mods pls delet

>looking forward to friday night when your parents take you to the hollywood video store and let you pick out one movie, one videogame, and a candy

>that feeling of knowing fuckall about the movies while going up and down the aisles and picking a movie you liked the cover of and if the synopsis sounded interesting on the back

>watched the movie with them that night and played the videogame all weekend long

jesus christ, the only think I look forward to on the weekends now is getting to sleep in. Where did the joy go

What is this copypasta? I've seen it at least 4 times already.

>having black bars on your tv
disgusting

This was me. Would watch the movie together as a family that night, then play the videogame until I was too tired and then would wake up in the morning, excited to keep playing the game.
I haven't had that feeling in almost twenty years now. I just spend my life withering away on a tapestry discussion board for Chinese cartoons.
I'll be fucking 33 in a few months and despite living alone and for all intents and purposes being a functional human being I have no purpose, no passion and no future to look forward to.

/my/ user right here, but it always bothered my child autism why Vader's TIE is on the ESB cover when it only appeared in ANH and why the lightsaber duel on the cover of ROTJ is from ESB, as you can tell from the blue saber, Luke's pistol holster, and the carbon freeze chamber stairs

>why Vader's TIE is on the ESB cover when it only appeared in ANH and why the lightsaber duel on the cover of ROTJ is from ESB, as you can tell from the blue saber, Luke's pistol holster, and the carbon freeze chamber stairs
Hey you're right, I never noticed this. Some fan I am.

>What does this box set mean to you?
Nothing. Let the past die. Kill it if you have to.

>go to friends house to watch Star Wars
>he never fucking skips the intros
this shit is burned into my brain
youtube.com/watch?v=Ky1lSkkeRxk
youtube.com/watch?v=ns3tF0MawCM
youtube.com/watch?v=J3rmrgcd2gA

I've seen these and Empire of Dreams so many times

No stupid ring around the death star explosion.

Honestly if you don't like them why bother. You sound pathetic

It tells me that the mainstream has been retarded for decades

It was Star Wars before Lucas had complete control over it and turned it to total shit and then sold it to Disney.

I've always been distracted by these more
Like, a storm trooper on Empire? Yoda on ROTJ? Why?

>It was Star Wars before Lucas had complete control over it
There has never been such a time

Heh, "force my way..."

I still remember checking them out from my local library with my mom when I was like 7.

>There has never been such a time

He made the first one by the seat of his pants. The crew didn't respect him at all and Fox were so sure it was going to flop they gave him the merchandising rights in exchange for a lowered salary.
The next two films although he had a lot of control he still had people that were equal on the totem pole to bounce ideas off and people above him to answer to.

Wish I still had my set, got em when i was around 12-13 and fucking loved that shit.

I have the special edition VHS but I"m not sure what to do with it do I keep it or throw it away?

A simpler time

I wish I had this set. It probably goes for a couple hundred bucks now. The only set I have is the 1997 release seen here They're fucked up but I suppose not as fucked as newer versions.

I heard you can get a DVD set that has all the unspecialized ones as a bonus for each movie?

How am I autistic for giving movies I don't like additional chances?

honestly just download despecialized or team negative 1. This is current year

My tape of RotJ was fucked and had a stupid horizontal line near the top of the picture.
Fucking sucked.
Would still love to have this set back.

>I heard you can get a DVD set that has all the unspecialized ones as a bonus for each movie?
The non-panoramic laserdisc version was included on the hd release of the special editions as a fuck-you.

Its always at thrift stores. pop into a goodwill, you'll find it.

Place to stash the GGW tapes

>Special Edition OT
Mark Hamill was right when he talked about some of the changes ruining the movies

Patiently waiting for Project 4K77 to be released

thestarwarstrilogy.com/starwars/page/Project-4K77

Throw it away, it's trash.

Nope, it's cheap and common as hell still. The only Star Wars worth money is the original Star Wars in one of those "fox boxes". They were slightly smaller than big boxes. And that's really only worth $25.

That message on the back from George fucking breaks my heart after what he himself would do only a few years later and now with what Disney is doing

Imagine if Lucas never sold? What would the Prequel Trilogy Special Edition have changed or included?

Pretty much any VHS you still own is trash unless you want to keep it for display/nostalgia

Why? The commercials for the THX release honestly told people this was their chance to own the OT "one last time".

And this is not true at all, there are hundreds of VHS worth $100+, and about a handful worth over $1000.

Here's a nice quick $200+.

I just wish Star Wars stopped here. The special editions were a kick in the balls, and the prequels pretty much ruined Star Wars forever. If the prequels had never come out: A) We wouldn't have to have the prequels, despite everything those movies are still legit bad, and B) We wouldn't be spinning our wheels trying to undo them with the new trilogy.

Star Wars just works better as 3 movies.

>labelled as epsidoes 4-6 once the first film was a success
>"its better if we had stopped here"

I see what you are saying, but its still dumb. We should've had prequels done better.

Of course there are outliers, something rare, but mass produced VHS like OP will never be worth anything.

Also you're just being silly. Just because someone is listing it on ebay for 200 dollars doesn't mean anyone will buy it. Its just like the dummies who are hilariously trying to sell Disney black diamond VHSs for $2000.

Imagine if George had died in the mid 90's. He could have been the James Dean of directors, a legend that never got to finish his opus. Wouldn't that have been so much better?

the same as this one and i hate nickelback

I have that boxset somewhere, but that's irrelevant as I no longer have a VCR.

wrong

lol fuck, I love when you idiots try and argue with me on here. I buy/sell/collect VHS as a hobby. I'm not basing the value on listings prices, I'm basing it on how much it is soldfor.
First you can check the sold listings on eBay to see it did indeed sell for $230 recently, or you could just as easily go on the Facebook horror VHS collectors groups (10,000+ members) and check what they sell for. The Abomination has been a $200+ tape for years now.

It's not an outlier either, all Donna Michelle tapes (the label that Abomination is on) are worth money. Go ahead and find me one quick if you don't believe me.

The Disney black diamond shit is obviously fake tho, pretty easy to tell since you can find those tapes easily at any thrift store.

Like I said there are HUNDREDS of tapes worth $100+. I could put them on eBay or the groups and make money instantly.
Here's another one you can try and argue with me over if you want.

youtube.com/watch?v=SToTVUNG7NI

Fuck yeah, I just got all of them from a record store for dirt cheap. I guess the guy running the place needed money or didn't know how valued some people sell them for. Either way, got all 3 for $23.

Woah I'm so sorry. I had no idea I was talking to a true expert. Please accept my humble apology.

The point remains, hundred of tapes are still outliers. Does not change the fact that Star Wars tapes will never be worth money to anyone.

this is kind of hilarious thanks for the lol

lol, I agree tho. I stated up above it ain't worth shit. Only the fox box of the original is worth around $25.

I still would argue they aren't outliers though, they certainly are rare, but even some non rare ones go for money these days. VHS collecting has really been picking up recently, probably due to hipsters and such but you could make some decent money off it if you know what you are doing. Hell, Alamo Drafthouse just announced they will be opening up VHS stores.

One of the Christmas presents I loved receiving the most as a kid. Thanks, mom. I miss you

Fast forwarding through that interview with George when all I wanna do is watch the movie.

Now that I can get behind. Every time a DVD skips, I wring my hands and scream to the heavens BRING BACK VHS!! And I get it, the lo-fi experience can really elevate some films.

those Leonard Maltin interviews were pure kinografie

So why do people throw such a shitfits over the edits if they released the unedited versions on blu-ray?

the first bts supplemental material i'd ever seen on a vhs. As a kid, I was fascinated. I wached them over and over

They didn't.... they released a shitty laserdisc master from 1993, maybe a pixel or two above vhs quality. this was in 2006, before hd

When I was a kid I wanted to rub my face up against his beard while he talked about Star Wars in that smooth smooth voice.

If they're gonna bring back cassettes, at least bring back Beta, too. Higher quality and all that.

The laserdisc master they released actually looked worse than watching it from the laserdisc. At least this was the case in the DVD rerelease of it like a decade ago, somehow they got the coloring totally off.

Holy shit that looks beautiful

But that's not a picture of you.

It's somewhat annoying how vhs collecting has gotten more popular, much more difficult to get Thriller Video big boxes.

and the dnr on those is legendary bad

>still no HD original release

These.

It's arguably worse than even the VHS as a result.

Now that Disney bought 20th Century Fox, they better be releasing the real shit soon, they love making money and this will definitely sell.

And there probably won't be one, either.

Even with Disney buying 2oth Century Fox and securing the full rights to the unaltered 1977 Star Wars, I really doubt they'll spend the resources on a proper HD remaster.

I love Star Wars.
I kind of like Empire.
I think Return is a bad movie with the best scene in the whole trilogy, the Luke/Vader/Emperor showdown.

If you ask me, I'd just watch the first movie and the death star showdown of the last one. Everything else, including Empire can go.
Prequels aren't even Star Wars. Disney is just funny tragedy.

how are they planning on releasing it when its finished?

Less than it means to most plebs. I have the Laserdisc set.

post yfw Disney puts out their own special edition with random black people & women inserted into the Mos Eisley scene, they've restored all the Biggs scenes but now he's a tough black man who don't take no shit from whiny pansyass crackas like Luke, Mon Mothma is a sassy black woman, and all the Rebel pilots are now racially & sexual diverse.