Why nobody did more animations with Paperman filter/technique?

Why nobody did more animations with Paperman filter/technique?
Whole idea is dead?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/84rl-T2yIls
twitter.com/AnonBabble

look to the new rapunzel series

but it's flash cutout animation

look at it more carefully. its 3d made to look like 2d

how could they fucked up this so much

the new Guilty Gear games do it
its pretty expensive and painstakingly slow so that turns most people off

Bullshit
The new Tangled series isn't using the Paperman tech, is it? I thought it was too difficult to add colour properly to it or something of the sort

just how old do you think paperman is?

Moana was supposed to be done in this style, but Disney's share-holders vetoed it, believing nobody will want to watch it

>look to the new rapunzel series

Are you retarded ? That's garden variety flash animation.

They made an entire videogame using said style. The animation style seems to be used way more in Japan with varying degrees of success (new Berserk being the most atrocious example).

>They made an entire videogame using said style

and damn, it looks pretty.

I wanna say that Skullgirls uses hand-drawn 2D sprites stretched over a 3D model so it can achieve things like dynamic lighting and shading while still having hand drawn animation. Guilty Gear Xrd is actually all 3D though, it's just that each character model is made to look as 2D as possible, and they all have their own custom light source.

Still, it's amazing what you can do with late-stage Unreal Engine 3 and for those interested I highly recommend the GDC talk that Arcsys gave about designing the graphics of GGXrd.

It's not financially viable. now you need the extreme set up budget of CGI, and the highly paid skill of 2D animators at the same time.
It's gonna stay a vanity project forever, as the public is perfectly content with less pretentious techniques like8 colours Flash 2D puppets translating on screen saying memes.

I think modern children are allergic to anything that has an ink outline around it.

>Guilty Gear
You have good taste mein negro

Don't most Arc Systems fighting games use this technique?

Only the recent ones

It's not 3D at all it's using a special generic Flash plug in. Not sure about the name but iirc there's a vid about the tangled making off somewhere.

>special generic

What does that have to do with anything? I know how old Paperman is, but I also think I'd have bloody heard if they'd made a breakthrough with the tech to be able to use it

I can believe it's Flash. Where has the weird "it uses the Paperman tech" come from?

its special because it's not the normal way. It's generic because it's a plug in aprove by adobe.
Is that so hard to understand?

Nope. It uses toon boom. Flash is already dead, so we need a new scapegoat.

Cities of Gold did it and it was shit

Dumbest post on Sup Forums

It's just a different brand for the same thing. Like people sayin "shoop'd" even if it's done with mspaint.
Most of the board wouldn't even recognize flash from toon boom based on the UI.

its probably still more expensive and time consuming that the tools they usually use as technology usually is

The reason so many people use just raw 3d now is that the margin for "ok" is really large while 2d or emulating 2d you might be able to make it look great, but then it jumps right into looks like shit and with a lot more work.

Feast used it, but with color
I can't remember if the brain one did it

Im not sure what I'm looking at

Is it supposed to be someone models a character and then someone else uses that footage like old school Snow White style and made a cartoon based on the three animation?

Or

Is this advance technology where drawing on the 3D model automatically makes the 3D model conform to the drawing?

Isn't that just the normal evolution of cell shading, that's been around since forever?

youtu.be/84rl-T2yIls

all these rubes that cant believe that tangled isn't 3d. i thought Sup Forums was tech savvy. It's just two steps away from micky mouse clubhouse. i can only guess that it's the simple head geometry mapped with 2d images throwing you. it's designed that way to get rid of that creepy 3d clunkyness.

>garden variety flash
>flash

Have you watched it? Animation is too smooth for flash, I'm betting it's toon boom or after effects, or both.

You want generic flash go watch that show that's not allowed on Sup Forums, they actually do still use flash, and an old version, before Adobe took over.