ITT: Comic book writers who went to shit in their old age

I'll start with an easy one
Hard mode: those who DIDN'T went to shit

Frank Miller
Akira Toriyama
Gerry Conway

Conway is still great.

Alan Moore went to shit in his middle age

Stan Lee...oh wait, he created Stripperella in his old age. Nevermind. That's pretty hard to live down.

Not just comic book writers but really,is falling into shit really inevitable for every writer?

Everyone's got a limited amount of ideas before they start repeating themselves.

Counterpoint 1.

Counterpoint 2.

I don't deny he's been getting worse, but it's not all bad.

I think it's a matter of mindset and dedication to the craft. Some artists are able to reinvent and improve themselves constantly, others are too lazy, arrogant or simply don't care enough to.

Howard Chaykin. I still really like his work though.

Why people hate the post-return Claremont? It's not as good as his earlier works, but it's still pretty cool

Conway was never great
>in b4 muh gwen stacy
That story is only special because of her death. Even Bryan Hitch could have written it.

So much this. Conway was not only a hack, but also an awful person

he hasn't been working for as long as some of the others, but Morrison is still capable of great work after 30+ years

>awful person
story behind this?

I'm too lazy to give you links.
But google about his tenure as an e-i-c. He ripped many people off, but when HE was ripped off himself, he made a huge deal about it.

Also, Shooter wrote some pretty good observations about Conway as well.

And Marvel Untold Story has a lot of the juicier details.

>Hard mode: those who DIDN'T went to shit

I think Roger Stern STILL has it.

>Hard mode: those who DIDN'T went to shit
Giffen

I did read a story about his time as an EiC. Apparently he robbed The Defenders from Steve Gerber and The Avengers from Steve Englehart so he could have all the creative control of the superteam books. Englehart particularly got so pissed off with that action that he moved to DC afterwards.

Isn't Moore going to retire with Providence being his last work? Or did I read wrong?

As much as I love Stern he didn't do a lot work since the end of the 90's, which is sad. His sequel to "Nothing Stops the Juggernaut" was pretty good tho.

>he didn't do a lot work since the end of the 90's
No he hasn't, his name has popped up every once in a while on the odd mini or backup story.

He doesn't work a lot but his average is still very solid.

Of the two guys who worked on The Long Halloween, who lost his son, Jeff Loeb or Tim Sale?

I think it's the latter but this is sort of a justified reason why someone's later work just isn't the same...

Its been forever since I've read anything from Frank Miller, but from what I've heard his body has gone to shit too.

Though he looks a little less like Emperor Palpatine now.

My dad was a fan of the guy back when he was a kid reading comics, so the whole...
turning into a bleached white skeleton spooked him a little. Considering he wasn't that much younger than him.

Has Toriyama managed to drink himself to death just yet?

I love his Cap run.

Loeb.

Mignola still at the top of his game