Snow White Thread

The film will turn 80 next year. Here are C.S. Lewis' and J.R.R. Tolkien's thoughts on the dwarfs.

C.S. Lewis
>Dwarfs ought to be ugly of course, but not in that way. And the dwarfs’ jazz party was pretty bad. I suppose it never occurred to the poor boob that you could give them any other kind of music. But all the terrifying bits were good, and the animals really most moving: and the use of shadows (of dwarfs and vultures) was real genius. What might not have come of it if this man had been educated–or even brought up in a decent society?

J.R.R. Tolkien
>“Though in most of the ‘pictures’ proceeding from his studios there are admirable or charming passages, the effect of all of them is to me disgusting. Some have given me nausea…,”

/lit/ burn.

What are your thoughts on the first Disney film?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=71gI8xMfJO0
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Snow white is my disney princess waifu.

Snow White has the most shrill voice out of any of the princesses, moreso the soundalikes they've been using since the 90s, so she's rather low on how I'd rank them.

>What might not have come of it if this man had been educated–or even brought up in a decent society?

Was he talking about Walt?

Yes.

>two christfags who are mediocre writers shitting on one of the biggest creative triumphs of all time

yes, i realize the importance that tolkien and even lewis had on the fantasy genre, but if they saw how much influence Disney would eventually have, they'd eat their words.

Lewis and Tolkien merely revolutionized a genre, whereas Disney revolutionized an entire form of media

>What might not have come of it if this man had been educated–or even brought up in a decent society?
What the hell does he mean by this?

Correction: It came out in 1937. Which means it turns 80 this year. They just saw it a year later.

How long where movies out for back then?

The death of snow white always makes me cry man. Seeing grumpy crying was just too much. You see him all the movie trying to be the though men. But he can't be and edgelord no more, he knows he has to cry. It was beautiful.

He's calling Walt stupid and the USA a shit country.

Here's Tom Wait's version of Heigh-Ho: youtube.com/watch?v=71gI8xMfJO0

Why did he hate Walt?
Also what did he think of Pinocchio?

Shouldn't the dwarves be fucking rich?

All the diamonds they mine just get put in a shed.

The cancelled Dwarves prequel movie that was in development in the mid-2000s as a boys counterpart to Disney Fairies essentially explained that living in an isolated cottage in the woods was their way of laying low.

The movie's plot would have concerned how all these dwarfs met and became a team when they were pulled into an adventure with a princess and seeking a way to seal away an evil sorcerer. Except it turned out the princess was evil, the sorcerer was her father, and she was just using the dwarfs to usurp his power by trapping him in a magic mirror and she was very much the "Your usefulness has ended, time to die" type.

This concept kept getting shaved down in scope and tone, but one dark element that kept finding its way into even the more lighthearted versions was that Dopey is silent because he watched his mother die.

>Dopey is silent because he watched his mother die.
Whoa, what the fuck.
I'm glad they pulled the plug on that, Snow White really doesn't need lore. It's a pure fairytale.

>Dopey is silent because he watched his mother die
Shit, really? That's bullshit. He's dumb because he's literally dumb, as in too stupid to speak.

That shit sounds like it could have been a spin-off story in Fables.

I never liked the rape-cabin story.

There was also going to be a distant prequel video game by Obsidian set centuries beforehand featuring the ancestors of the dwarfs helping a banished prince find redemption after demons tricked him into matricide in a fully playable prologue.

Like the whole idea of this Dwarfs franchise was going to be "What if the Snow White universe was more Tolkien-y" with an elaborate millennia history of the dwarf race.

*millennia-spanning

She's the biggest product of her time out of all the Disney princesses. All of the other ones are pretty much timeless except for Snow White.

>missing the point this hard

He's calling the modern age a shot society

Sounds like it could be kinda neat, but unfortunately I just can't imagine Disney doing a good job of it, without watering it down for the sake of appealing to children and parents in their safe and sanitized enough way.

>C S Lewis: born 1898
>Walt Disney: born 1901

Same age he's from. Not saying he can't still consider the age he belongs to as shit, but I was looking for a factor that he and Disney didn't share to speculate he's speaking of, and that comes down to nationality rather than era.

maybe you'd understand if you were educated-or brought up in a decent society

>ITT people who were stuck at a typewriter with their ideas staying inside imaginations are jelly when, for the first time ever, someone's story and imagination gets to be seen by anyone

>implying people born in the 1890's didn't keep themselves apart from the people born in the new millenium

It's like people born in the 90's disparaging everybody born after y2k. Born with a smartphone in their hand or whatever. The 1800's crowd were probably the same about cars or some shit. If there was ever a man who struck me as a man who wants to be older than he is and who looks backwards, it was CS Lewis. If he was born today he'd definitely be a 1900's nostalgia-fag. Disney on the other hand looked to the future, a true man of the new millennium.

i dunno i think cinderella is impossible to divorce from that 50s musical feel. she seems right out of rogers and hammerstein

>in the new millenium

You mean new century. You would know the difference if you were educated- or brought up in a decent society.

Is this going to become a new meme?

>Walt Disney
>not a nostalgiafag

Pick one.

It could be a meme, if only memes came from educated people- or from a decent society.

I was talking about if he'd been born in 2001 instead of 1901. He wouldn't have been a nostalgia-fag caught in the 1900's. He'd be designing floating cities and shit. CS Lewis would have been talking about how everything was better in the 80's.

I liked Sleeping Beauty better

Read what you posted a little more closely.

>people born in the 1890's didn't keep themselves apart from the people born in the new millenium
>people born in the 1890's kept themselves apart from people born in the new millenium
>people in the 1890's
>from people in the new millenium
>1890s
>new millenium

Well shit, I definitely fucked up there. I was thinking too much about the y2k kids and CS Lewis/Disney being born today.

The reason I typed out 1800's or 1900's is because I ALWAYS fuck up when using 19th/20th century. I've learnt my lesson with that shit. We just don't use anything like that in my language.

"#th" century used to confuse the shit out of me too.

>CS Lewis didn't like jazz

All the more reason to take nothing he says seriously