This movie was really boring

This movie was really boring.
I understand that this is a really influential film, but there was just nothing compelling about this film and it evidently hasn't aged well.

What are your guys' takes on it?

You have low emotional intelligence.

Wilesesque

>boring
I will pass that but apparently you weren't paying attention enough to notice Ozu's general themes of the generation gap that most of his movies have
Also the dialogue near the end where the chick that has lost her husband in the war and pretty much says she will live and die alone is heartbreaking as FUCK

>muh minimalism
>muh miniplot
>muh passive protagonist
>muh social realism

The blocking in every scene is beautiful

>What are your guys' takes on it?

Eh I am pretty sure she means she will remarry soon

I like it.

You can think it's boring. i don't particularly care.

Me too user. I can't stand the original but I enjoy the remake
Try Tokyo Family

Ozu - the master of us all. The greatest director to ever live. I will uncover my head and kneel before his tomb.

>falling for le ebin pillowshot meme

The Ozu Ultimatum

Griffith and Chaplin are considered distillation, but Ozu is distillation taken too far to the point of oversimplification. Every decision in an Ozu work is mathematically contrived under the false pretense of being a close approximation to life and repeated ad infinitum to the point of didactic lull, there are no detours, no unpredictability, even his contrapuntal formal decisions are contrived in the same manner. Ozu, a known loner and outcast, designs his world's viewpoint in the same way similar loners and outcasts view. He scripted his characters as mouthpieces to tell you the world is this (his) way all the way to his deathbed, and he died that same loner and outcast never learning that it wasn't.

/thread

>pillowshot
Imaginary term, no such thing. It's a cutaway pleb

Asians were generally more depressing during that time, give him a break
He had to witness 2 atomic bombs being thrown on his country, everyone would be jaded after that even if a little bit

>I understand that this is a really influential film
No it wasn't. No one knew who this loser was outside of Japan until the 70's. And he's only risen in overwrought adulation because of Kristin and David's shared boner for his "consistent personal style in a commercial industry". Which if you check most of his oeuvre, it's not really consistent until the late 40's. His early stuff is really mediocre, and his latter stuff is just the same flick repeated over and over again.

>inb4 but the minute inconsequential differences between each remake
Doesn't matter when they're equally as banal.

I'm with you user, I love old movies and samurai movies etc, I've seen loads of Japanese cinema and I thought Tokyo Story was about as fun as getting a root canal. Different strokes, I guess.

>The blocking in every scene is beautiful
Why does Ozu get a pass for being "stagey"?

I'll answer that, because of convenient foreign architecture.

You can say that about almost every director
Leone just made 2 films a bunch of times for instance and he gets a pass
Haneke is even worse in that aspect
There are like 3 directors that have SOME range that I can think of, and even they have at least a bunch of bad movies

I really enjoyed it. The ending was profoundly sad, and the way the entire film is structured and directed is terrific. It works differently for everyone, so naturally some people won't feel any emotional connection.

Saying it's boring though, or has nothing compelling, merely shows that you missed a great deal of the film. It's ok not to enjoy something, but don't confuse your personal taste with its actual value.

Not trying to be a dick... but how old are you? I don't think the film would interest me all that much if I was a teenager, or even in my twenties.

Last Jedi should be more your alley.

Because "stagey" is a meaningless accusation. It meant something when directors knew how to compose a frame without following cheat sheets, now all it means is that you can see people's spatial relationships to each other and there isn't a shot where a CGI camera flies in midair around a CGI actor.

Two lightsabres didn't clash once during the entire film. Gay!

>to tell you the world is this (his) way all the way to his deathbed, and he died that same loner and outcast never learning that it wasn't.
your post is especially ironic, mr. pseudo-intellectual.

>inb4 but the minute inconsequential differences between each remake
>Doesn't matter when they're equally as banal.
Sounds like Hong sang-soo

Plebs should ease themselves into Ozu by watching Yamada or Koreeda first.

I think the problem is that you're not at the right stage of your own journey in cinema to get anything from it. This can happen. First couple of times I watched Mizoguchi's Ugetsu Monogatari I really didn't know what I was supposed to be getting from it. The third time I watched it, it clicked.

Tokyo Story isn't especially influential, it's just a masterpiece. Most of the time, "influential" is a word people use when they're pretending to value films that are too revered for them to shit on, but which they personally don't understand or enjoy. If a "critic" you're reading or, more likely, watching on YT says a film is "influential" without a qualifier, just as a lone adjective taking up space, close the tab immediately and never read them again, they're philistines who have nothing to teach you.

>Which if you check most of his oeuvre, it's not really consistent until the late 40's.

That's completely untrue. It's consistent but develops, like any auteur's style.

I don't honestly think you know how to watch films if you think that "the same flick repeated over and over again" is a criticism.

Thinking Ozu banal rules your opinion out of court pretty conclusively, come back in five years.

I thought it was pretty slow and was thinking I was gonna be dissapointed but the ending broke me

Low IQ Sup Forums posters: Tokyo Story

Me, an intellectual: The Crazy Family

Haven't seen Tokyo Story, but I've watched the two preceding films. Christ were they dull.
This one is great. I also like The Yen Family, and The Family Game.

>watching a Japanese film made after 1970

Found the pleb.

Tokyo Story was a shitty rip-off of "Make a Way for Tomorrow", a truly masterpiece.

Even the literal homosexual of Ozu said it.

There are many people today who say it wasn't enough. That the Japanese nation should have been wiped off the face of the earth. Many Chinese and Koreans strongly believe so as well.

No, it wasn't shitty. Make Way for Tomorrow is a great film, but Tokyo Story is equally great.

I don't care, there is no Chinese or Korean director on Mizoguchi's level.

The Tokyo Story didn't touch me at all, mostly because I identify more with their adult kids. The visual style didn't particularly wow me either, it's minimalist to a fault and not in a particularly good way either. Pretty much my least favorite Japanese movie right now.

>mostly because I identify more with their adult kids.

That was the intention. The point is to make you reflect on your own selfishness. Ozu's for adults.

>it's minimalist to a fault
Incorrect, you haven't learned how to read images yet rather than just have bullshit piped into your cortex. Come back to it in five years.

>kids try to accomodate the parents to the best of their ability despite work and other pressing obligations
>selfishness

You don't even understand the movie you're defending. It's about generation gap first and foremost, the disconnect between parents and kids, which leaves both sides unsatisfied despite their best intentions.

Ozu was a conservative Japanese. "The generation gap" is a lie invented by the American advertising industry to make people of all ages shut up and consume. Ozu's sense of mutual duty is far more nuanced than that.

>"The generation gap" is a lie invented by the American advertising industry

If you've decided not to relate to other human beings properly because the advertising industry told you you couldn't, you're probably going to have a painful time growing up.

Go on, please, it's getting funnier with every new post.