SPIN IT

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=AM94EFNizOY
youtube.com/watch?v=RJidy_lC8ag
youtube.com/watch?v=mYwlXRVWCCI
youtube.com/watch?v=FO7CYOCnztU
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

I wish I had a flying boat.

How come both US and Japanese animators decided to make cartoons with down-on-their-luck anthropomorphic animal flying boat pilots fighting air pirates at roughly the same time?

because that's how it was in real life. it's no weirder than having multiple furry versions of robin hood or something

Just make sure you do your homework, seaplanes are notorious lemons. sometimes they just stick on floats that don't belong on that kind of plane, or don't waterproof the fucker, or shit like that
and make sure you maintain the engine like it was your own newborn puppy, because that shit has to carry more weight and do more work than a regular plane engine
After that you're good. it's totally possible if you're the kind of rich that can afford, say, a mid-level luxury car. If you have in the mid to high 5 digits of money to blow, it's well within your means. it's not as farfetched as owning, uh.. a giraffe.

Let's begin it.

Well, Porco isn't really a humanized animal, he is a cursed human with almost no features of a pig except for the head.

it was a good show but, why did they turn a few of the Jungle Book characters into something else entirely?
youtube.com/watch?v=AM94EFNizOY

Mostly just to fit the theme of the show, I didn't really see much changes to their characters, saw more added in.

Where does disney even keep the original thing? They should air the again or at least let me buy it.

was it? I watched all these shows but can't remember a single thing about any of them. it's weird. I'll remember shows that had maybe one season, but none of the Disney afternoon ones.

I believe this was Michael Eisner's suggestion to use existing Disney characters rather than original ones. Same thing happened with Chip n Dale Rescue Rangers.

Talespin always felt like a black sheep compared to the other disney cartoons to me. Not sure why but something about it just didn't click the same way the other ones did when I watched it growing up.

>blacksheep
>not bonkers

Would you watch DarkwingDuckTalespin?

OK *posts meatspin*

LET'S BEGIN IT

This. Is there even anywhere to watch it? I want to watch it.

...they DO let you buy it though? It's out on DVD.

I have no idea what they were thinking but it worked so damn well.

>>not bonkers
>Not "The Mighty Ducks"

Talespin and the more popular ones you can find, but the other 1990s cartoons are only in very expensive VHS with missing episodes.

I meant a torrent but I don't even know if there are any good torrent sites up right now

you can torrent it, but except the quality of a potato and worse for the audio with some episodes in other languages even

>Bonkers
>loved that show as a kid had a crush on the girl cop
>rewatch an episode
>intro sucks
>show isn't funny at all
>mfw

One great eyample of the very rare Dieselpunk genre. Captures the feeling perfectly.

ho HO ho ho ho ho HO ho ho HO ho ho ho HO

Let's begin it

OH WEE YAY

Because flying boats are the best.

Actually I know the answer to this. TaleSpin is partly inspired by Porco Rosso.

>*posts meatspin*
you have to go back

HD release when?

Damn right they are.

youtube.com/watch?v=RJidy_lC8ag

BOP IT

I want to live in a comfy Dornier.

They are my german manufacturerfu.

Sunderlands seem to be made for maximum comfy.

Sunderlands are also good. They are huge too.

This series was so comfy. Had its dramatic moments too which was neat for a Disney Afternoon show.

A shame the new one is based in China and not Friedrichshafen anymore IIRC, but I guess at least it's Claude's children still working in the new company.

Was that a bad show?
I think I liked it as a kid.

i liked her, she was a bitch but often got beat like every other cartoon.refreshing.

Beckie was pretty good, but she couldn't compete with the Sea Duck

TaleSpin - 1990
Porco Rosso - 1992

though Porco is based on Age of the Flying Boat from 1989, which TaleSpin directors took some cues from by their own admission

Isn't Talespin also based on an old adventure show too? Golden Monkey something or another.

>there's a shitload of media with seaplanes but literally nothing with GEVs

A damn shame, this stuff has so much dieselpunk potential.

Tales of the Gold Monkey wasn't old back then, but yeah, TaleSpin is basically that with talking animals and a wacky cartoon setting. (They even kept the name of the bartender!)

>"""""flying""""" a planelet

I still have to find time to find and watch that thing at some point.

It looked fun enough.

>bigger than the largest 747
>planelet

Ground Effect Vehicles are amazing and I don't know why they aren't used more
Probably something to do with that whole "will literally just crash into the side of even a small hill"

It's the wings and it's inability to fly user.

Perhaps there's just too little of them, they aren't exactly well known. They would work pretty well as short hop transports for some dieselpunk/post war setting though.

Weather is the main problem. A regular plane only needs to take off and then it basically doesn't care about anything short of a hurricane, a GEV needs half-decent weather along the entire route, which makes operating on a regular schedule a PITA.

A lot of GEVs *can* fly, they just become horribly inefficient when above their optimal altitude.

>(They even kept the name of the bartender!)
No, that was just a coincidence. Louie was just another character taken from The Jungle Book.

For some reason, Nazi mad science vehicles are everywhere even if they never progressed past napkin drawings IRL, but other crazy stuff like Sentoku submarines or Caspian Sea Monster is never used.

I mean that it's probably no coincidence that they made this particular Jungle Book character into a bartender.

>8 engines in sets of 4 that are connect to each other
>not even housed in a nacelle connected to the wing, just stick out the sides of the fuselage
what the fuck

Rebecca was a MILF

The wings are used as floats when landed, you can't mount the engines on them.

As for the number of engines, these planes were experimental and massive, so using several weaker off-the-shelf engines was just more economical than developing powerful ones specifically for them.

Don't overlook the six slanted ICBM launchers

I like it, reminds me of the Tezuka Star System. The Jungle Book characters got some mileage out of that. They're actors playing different roles.

TaleSpin!Khan >>>>>> JungleBook!Khan

Caspian Sea Monster.
A Russian made Ground Effect Vehicle or to use the Russian word, Ekranoplan.

It "flies" at 20ft but has a long range, fast speed and was designed to carry a huge amount of weight. The 8 engines power it on take off but then most would be shut down in cruise once it was free of the water. The tubes at the top were for anti submarine missiles and the inside could transport troops and armored vehicles. Flying in ground effect also made it invisible to RADAR.
But the project eventually fell through and it was never deployed beyond testing.

The prototype version, WIG, appeared in Metal Gear Solid 3, minus missile tubes.

The napkinwaffe has some sort of cult status because people like silly Luft46 designs that usually weren't even real to begin with.

No clue. Everyone knows the true patrician taste is french napkin planes.

>Sentoku
Macross had an iteration of a sub aircraft carrier for the not!ruskis at least.

There is a version with a prop on the stabilizer without the goofy engines IIRC. But the jets were probably necessary to make it go properly.

No shit.

That's Lun, a later, slightly smaller model. KM aka the Caspian Sea Monster did not have missile tubes.

It's a fucking shame that KM sunk and Lun has been rotting in a dock for 20 years since the Russian military does not give a fuck about GEVs or heritage.

>has been rotting in a dock for 20 years
Russia needs to up their museum game still. That shit is just sad.

>There is a version with a prop on the stabilizer without the goofy engines

The prop version one is much smaller, but it can be visited IRL unlike the others.

A-90 actually has even goofier engines if you look closely. Those "nostrils" and "gills" on the front are actually two diagonally mounted jet engines that are used for take-off.

What was the deal with Soviets and crazy boat/jet hybrids, anyway?
You'd think US, UK or Australia, having far more access to open water, would be the ones making them.

Best hydrofoil comming through.

The US had those Pegasus ships. Hydrofoil boats aren't all that uncommon. Or at least I think they aren't.

Goddamn, the Italians used to make the most aesthetic vehicles. What the fuck happened?

It's because of the Nostalgia Critic, in his Disney Afternoon review he blew it off because of its 90's attitude vibe. I'm not saying he's a bad dude nor am I saying the show is perfect, it's just that when anyone with a large fanbase like his says something negative about anything, it starts to echo.

Take it from a guy who loved Mega Babies, things change.

>I never knew about these crazy shits
who would have thought I'd find out out about them on Sup Forums
god bless insane aviation

Don't you mean art deco?

Piaggio is owned by the Chinese or Arabs now, I forgot who.

That said it also helps to keep in mind that a lot of the Italian Schneider Cup racers were funded by Mussolini for propaganda.

It must also be said that the PC7 was a failure, the design and all is brilliant in the sense that it is a seaplane without the unaerodynamic body of a flying boat or the pontoons of a float, but the hydrofoils and clutch system made take-offs and landing a nightmare if not impossible.

I don't think it ever flew beyond RC model recreations because the pilots either crashed and died or abandonned their runs because of the massive watersplash the foils would create.

The MC72, M67 and M52 were gorgeous too though. The 52 effectively whiped the floor with it's competition at the time and defined the way the Schneider Racers would look for the rest of the competition.

And then the Supermarine racers happened.

If Crimson Skies get's called Dieselpunk so does Talespin. Art Deco is just a great aspect of it.

Anyone got the link to the google drive or something that had all those pictures and files from the Sup Forums OC thing that went nowhere?

If it was then the theme song more than redeemed it

youtube.com/watch?v=mYwlXRVWCCI

Well, I meant pure aesthetics, not functionality. Like, Ferraris were never really reliable or comfortable, but they're still classics.

It's got the diesel, but not the punk.

No punk setting outside of cyber has the punk

>fighting the man
>doing what they want
>no strings to hold them down
sounds kinda punk to me

True, but there are a lot of top tier aesthetic italian planes that are also practical.

Folgores for example.

Posting the one true Sparvi.

Folgore is just a slightly leaner bf109

>all the bear pilots crashing their planes

>those clean lines
>those asymmetric wings and that wing root
>that wide landing gear
>those neatly hidden away wing guns on the early models
RRRRRRRREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE In role and engine only.

>that episode with the WW1 squadron
Were they even real?

Oh shit. Ekranoplans.

Oh boy, I'm bonering up over here

Gotta say, I was expecting less autistic hydroplane discussion in this thread and more autistic theme-songposting

Everyone loves seaplanes and flying boats. Everyone.

Superior dubs coming thru:
>youtube.com/watch?v=FO7CYOCnztU

>he doesn't autistically love seaplanes

>shot to pieces 2 days before the war ended
F