And they said UK comedy was dead. A lot of good stuff if still being made and good UK comedy quality still exists...

And they said UK comedy was dead. A lot of good stuff if still being made and good UK comedy quality still exists. The recent "revival" of The League of Gentlemen certainly proved that.
Let's discuss good current UK comedy in this thread by recommending and discussing the good stuff and dispell this idea that comedy is dead.

I haven't watched this, is it local comedy for local people?

It's a wife mine now!

Yes. There's nothing for yanks here.

I was so happy to see him return at the end, I thought modern political correctness would have them cut the character but they still kept him in. They did a good job with Babs as well. Everyone was expecting a huge outrage from Twitter and the like but as far as I've seen nothing like that happened.

What's all this posting? We'll have no trouble here.

Why do I feel like they came up with this joke in the pub together one night and reverse-engineered a whole new series around it?

I got something for you Dave.

I'd seriously advise twitter folk to NOT TOUCH THINGS

I just did a quick twitter trawl and I can't find a single negative comment, it's almost unheard of these days.
Surely this immense positive reaction will spark a full series next year or the year after?

Papa Lazarou is a fucking amazing character. It makes me sad that something like him - a carny who runs around in blackface kidnapping women - could never come to be in today's climate.

It was OK.

If it wasn't for Papa Lazarou and Pop I think it would have been pretty weak. It's pretty obvious that Gatiss didn't want to be there, all the good stuff was Pemberton and Shearsmith.

Should have been 6 episodes, too much stuff left unresolved.

Babs couldn't either. They'd just ignore how she's really well liked in the town and treated just the same as anyone else and complain about how she's a transphobic caricature even though it's probabley one the most realistic depictions of a not insignificant part of the transgender population. All those poor sods who cannot and never will pass.

>It's pretty obvious that Gatiss didn't want to be there, all the good stuff was Pemberton and Shearsmith.
I don't get where you get the idea Gatiss didn't want to be there, but I do feel like Shearsmith and Pemberton were the "masterminds" behind these episodes. Though the atmosphere was consistent with early League of Gentlemen, you could feel a definite note of Inside No. 9 influences that likely came from the latter two writers.

UK will never produse top level comedy like Curb, Vice Pricipals or Dice.

Twaddle.

>all the good stuff was Pemberton and Shearsmith

I disagree, the bingo caller scene was amazing

That was stunning.

I would've been happier with more episodes though - at least Papa Laz a rou ending looks like a set up for another series.

>The recent "revival" of The League of Gentlemen certainly proved that.

Oh, I nearly thought this was going to be a good thread. Never mind, I'll just hide this on the catalog.

Here's a thought - there's probably a correlation between British Sup Forums posters' idea that the only other people on the site are Americans, and the British will to destroy their own country with Brexit.

Because he has a career and has no idea to go back and sniff his old vomit, whereas Shearsmith and Pemberton have nothing to offer but shitty dark humour.

You're saying the League of Gentlemen couldn't be made now on a thread about its revival. Fuck off back to Digital Spy, peasants.

The way the episodes were going, it seemed more like a last hurrah for Royston Vasey, leaving the series of specials at a point of no return. Luckily, by the end of the third episode things changed and they left it open for future series. Most of the "wiped off the map" plot points were settled, and as you said, Lazarou appearing at the end opened up possibilities for a return to Royston Vasey, even though they killed some major characters off.

They all have a career, and Gatiss absolutely loves to act, especially in things he's written. Also Gatiss isn't doing much at all currently, apart from slowly setting up this new project with Moffat. Shearsmith and Pemberton are lauded for their clever and unique writing, landing them four consecutive series, which is very rare indeed for UK sitcoms. They both act in serious stuff as well, outside of their own writing. I'd say all three of them are enjoying the same level of a successful career.

I'd say Curb and Peep Show are on the same level, though both overstayed their welcome and lost some of their original charm