In the 1980s Marvel Comics founded a "creator-owned" comics imprint called Epic Comics...

In the 1980s Marvel Comics founded a "creator-owned" comics imprint called Epic Comics. The whole purpose of the line was basically to attract fans of indie comics and non-superhero titles (like the then fairly popular Heavy Metal). To motivate writers/artists to produce for the line they were allowed to (usually) own the IPs (a relative rarity at the time). It was essentially a precursor to DC's more famous imprint, Vertigo.

The line was discontinued in the early 90s, but not before producing an absolute treasure trove of cool shit. Outside of hits like Groo, Blueberry, Alien Legion, Akira, and the early issues of Dreadstar (before it went indie), there were several underrated titles, which are honestly too many to mention here.

One of the most obscure ones I've been able to find (so obscure that I only recently became aware that it even existed) is Last of the Dragons, one of the few non-Moebius related titles in the "Epic Graphic Novel" line.

It's basically a simple story of asian fantasy, written by Carl Potts (of Alien Legion and Punisher War Journal fame) and DENNIS O'NEIL of all people! Potts also did the art with inks by Terry Austin and colors by Marie Severin (James R. Novak handled the letters).

Anyway, it's an interesting little piece of 80s Marvel, and well worth reading.

So, let's check it out.

This is...

LAST OF THE DRAGONS

STORYTIME

Other urls found in this thread:

www19.zippyshare.com/v/Gvj6nfgp/file.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

BUMP IF YOU'RE READING

I'm in, is this like Marvel Graphic Novels stuff? lots of good books there

>is this like Marvel Graphic Novels stuff?

More or less. Except technically published under the Epic Comics imprint. I'd also assume that Carl Potts probably owns this and not Marvel themselves.

And that's that.

DOWNLOAD:

Epic Graphic Novel Last of the Dragons (1988) (Bchry-DCP).cbz
www19.zippyshare.com/v/Gvj6nfgp/file.html

bumping for others

Wait, Carl Potts is asian?

The chapter title cards is a cool touch.

this dude is butthurt as fuck

That's a weird ending.

Marvel's "Epic" line was the good shit that you know will not survive because it isn't cheap designed-by-committee horseshit. So good.

Thank you

I always found Epic Comics to be a better imprint than Vertigo.

Bump

No problem.

Glorious.

thanks op

Vertigo has Sandman, Preacher, 100 bullets, y: the last man, Lucifer, Death: The High Cost of Living, Enigma, Black Orchid, the Invisibles, V for Vendetta reprint, American Vampire, Astro City, Sheriff of Babylon, Morrison's Animal Man reprint, The Books of Magic, Daytripper, Doom Patrol, Hellblazer, Scalped, Alan Moore's Swamp Thing reprint, Sweet Tooth, The Unwritten, Prince of Cats, Shade, the Changing Man.

Epic has Illustrated, Akira, Alien Legion, Elfquest, Groo the Wanderer, Moebius stuff, Silver Surfer: Parable.

While Epic did produce a lot of nice comics I think Vertigo still comes out on top. Also Epic put out trouble.

Totally. Thanks, OP.

last of the bumps

No problem.

Half those are shit though.

"No"

Epic also did Lawdog, Steelgrip Starkey, Spyke, War Man, Seven Block, Sachs & Violens, The One, Video Jack, Stalkers, Feud, Coyote, Midnight Men, Swords of the Swashbucklers, Sisterhood of Steel, The Everyman, Untamed, Starstruck, Stray Toasters, Memories, Neuromancer, Fafhrd and the Gray Mouser, Car Warriors, Transmutation of Ike Garuda, Crash Ryan, Last of the Dragons, Atomic Age, Strange Combat Tales, The Light and Darkness War, etc.

You're DRAMATICALLY underestimating how much stuff they put out.

No problem.

>Epic put out trouble.

That was a revival of the imprint years later, it wasn't the same thing at all.

Epic also put out a lot more books than you listed. I quite liked The Trouble With Girls at the time.

Nice cover.

>Epic put out trouble

That was basically a totally different imprint using the same name.

Don't forget the Sleeze Brothers lol!

thanks OP that was neat

bump

No problem.

Speaking of "Asian Fantasy" OP, love me some Dragon Lines