Hate on the prequels as much as you want, RLM-watching redditors...

hate on the prequels as much as you want, RLM-watching redditors, but this is one piece of incontrovertible truth: they have the best lightsaber duels out of all the SW movies by far

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Qp91xlsaKSo
youtube.com/watch?v=3atu9ezZuQk
youtube.com/watch?v=sq51w34Hg9I
youtube.com/watch?v=yHqdESArkqU
youtu.be/RIefj6dOhnM
youtube.com/watch?v=rWF0f183tSA
youtube.com/watch?v=J0mUVY9fLlw
youtube.com/watch?v=eYT3ctPuVRw
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

youtube.com/watch?v=Qp91xlsaKSo

he's right you know

There's not much competition since the OT nor nu-wars has alot of lightsaber fights. Prequels have way more action on foot.

OP can't be more accurate.

My experience of watching the prequels is 5% amazing lightsaber duels and 95% waiting for the amazing lightsaber duels.

If they had been no better than the voting fights in the OT, the phantom menace would have tanked and 2 and 3 would haven been cancelled

Shit weightless way too fast-paced choreographed garbage.

Why didn't he just back up twice?

Why are they both attacking him at the exact same spot?

Shit opinion

Different stylistic choices, weightless flippy shit creates objectively better spectacle than try hard faux-samurai duels.

Hey Mike yoi fat fuck get this

Light sabers are LIGHT. They're not made of steel, it's literal light hence the name LIGHT sabers. For Jedi knights who can already use the force to themselves more agile and stronger to use LIGHT sabers would indeed result in action that looks fast and agile.

Put that in the next Reddit review faggot.

Only the big Darth Maul fight was actually good, though. The rest were only good for memes at best (i.e. Anakin vs Obi-Wan, Sheev vs Windu et alrest).

That's literally the only good one

I think Lucas understood that the fights could act more as choreographed dance sequences that visually told a story rather than the more somber samurai style stuff. It gave the prequels a distinct style that I think a good amount of people enjoyed.

One of the best "sword" fights ever made, possibly best fightscenes ever made

Except that George Lucas designed them to be heavy.

Garbage opinion. The highest point of lightsaber duel in this series is TPM.

Best as in an highly choreographed Patty cakes?

I agree with that, actual fights are not good as portrayals of symbolic struggle. Choreographed stuff that acts like a dance/kata does a much better job unless you want actual Wushu fighters doing it.

Why not just ram into things with Faster-Than-Light travel though m i rite

the soundtrack and lore is also better.

Sorry pleb.

youtube.com/watch?v=3atu9ezZuQk

I don't know. The PT lightsaber duels were the most fun to watch but I still think the final duel in RotJ was the most tense and impactful.

Not too mention there's actual weight behind the lightsaber duels. You knew that when a padawan was going to go up against a sith lord, the padawan was in deep shit. As opposed to MaRey Sue who crushes the entire planet with her awesome force powers or some shit.

Dual of Fates was based

the actual fight looked kind of silly and over-coreographed

so they don't accidentally hurt him

This. Anakin no matter how much force potential he had, was still an inferior lightsaber duelist to almost anybody that had more training than he did

Nah.
Take the ESB Luke/Vader confrontation. Every shot, every frame of it, can be analyzed to yield some insight into cinematic art.

reddit is here to stay, looks like

See And also there's no sense of danger in any of those battles, they look like literal mandrama, and they are in a way. In the prequels, sword fights look like they're hitting each other with rubber sticks, the clash is not as rough as

youtube.com/watch?v=sq51w34Hg9I

Now, look at

youtube.com/watch?v=yHqdESArkqU

The choreography looks better, but it's all in service of flippy shit. Weapons look like they aren't even there, as if they're overimposed to the movement of them just swinging their arms around.

That video is retarded because it's all about muh plot. No, the original battles felt like battles with devastasting weapons. The new ones feel like battles with glowing sticks for literal mongoloids.

The lightsaber canon they establish in PT is the best one. The fact that blades are ultra-light didn't come across in OT, here it's an important point that lands to unique combat style. The fact that Jedi can read minds, so their battles are full of flukes, false moves and general waving swords about is also great because it looks very pretty and unique and it works for the story. Everyone keeps memeing about those blades that don't hit anything, but that's the fucking point of Jedi combat. They do way more moves than necessary to mess with the opponent because the opponent can read your flipping mind. That's cool, brainlets.

I was always under the impression sabers were light because you were using the force to move them.

No.

Lucas wanted two-hands in the ot, to show how powerful it was, and in the sequels the jedis, etc. were well-trained and it was the apex of dueling, plus Lucas made the duels more personal thus more ferocious as his sequels went on.
I prefer Guinness v. Prowse.
Original is often the best.
Your mind experiencing it for the very first time.

Genuinely awful.

Maul has about 100 oppertunities at unblockable killshots but doesn't take them.

Or 'cos they're literally made of light you pillock

Thinks A New Hope duel is the best ever.
Get rekt fansoy.

No... they weren't.

No, Luke vs Vader in ROTJ is the best one, but that one you mentioned is the second best. All the prequel fights are at the absolute bottom with Rey vs Ren. Anything that features Yoda and jumping went straight to hell.

no. analyze each frame if you will: the fighters respond to every opening they receive, it's just that Darth Maul is too fucking fast
it was choreographed step-by-step by an actual martial artist and it shows

My personal ranking:
1)ESB Luke v. Vader
2)ROTJ Luke v. Vader
3)Darth Maul v. Qui Gon/Obi Wan

Rest were kinda meh for me.

>0:48
i still don't understand what they meant by it

Agree with both. The fight scenes arent supposed to be super realistic, they're a visual art form. How do people still not understand this.

it was over choreographed to go on and one so you could have lots of fancy lights flipping, doesn't really matter who by.

if the martial artist choreographed it like actual martial arts the duels woudl only last a few seconds.

It was a feint!

If you saw Guinness v. Prowse at the time, it’s seared into you.
If they were real fights, sure, Darth Maul was spectacular...

*this opinion is sponsored by Red Letter Media™

"Red Letter Media, always there when you don't know what to think about a movie."

no.

almost every time quigon or Obiwan block Maul could easily strike on their open side with his opposite blade

>I don't have anything to say so I'll invoke the RLM boogeyman

very cool

Lucas explains
youtu.be/RIefj6dOhnM

>it was choreographed step-by-step by an actual martial artist and it shows
No it wasn't. I've never seen anything indicating that Nic Gillard has any kind of martial arts training; every biography I've seen on his mentions shit about being in the circus and doing lots of stunt work, but nothing about martial arts. You think if he had a decent background in martial arts, the PR would have been all over that.

I'm sure he learned some stage combat doing stunt work for decades, and that's all those prequel fights are: flashy stage combat.

Watch the behind the scenes of TPM regarding the fight. Stop being a retard.

BTS is as legit as the midichlorians, so a bunch of bullshit.

I have, it's just choreography. That's how fight choreography works; moves are designed to react to each other. Do you really think that's something special?

And if you think I'm wrong about Gillard's background, prove me wrong.

>lightsaber duels
You mean the glowstick dance offs?

watch they're more choreographed because old time jedi were meant to have superior training

That’s a great video

Honestly, yes they're better overall, but it's a mixed bag.

>Obi/Quigon vs Maul
Best in the franchise. Stylistically different but overall superior to ESB because of the visceral quality. Lucas expertly captured the potential of golden age Jedi.

>Annie/Obi vs Dooku 1, AOTC.
Failure but not a terrible one. The novelty of a gentleman duelist and a willingness to dismember characters sells the scene. Would be better if there were actual stakes.

>Yoda vs Dooku
Worst in the franchise. Hurts Yoda's character and my ears when the fanboys were all simultaneously cumming in the theater.

>Annie vs Obi 2, ROTS
Second best fight scene in the franchise. It succeeds where ROTJ failed in capitalizing on the protagonist losing in the prior movie to create a threat. There are also actual stakes this time. This was the critical moment in the prequel trilogy. We see Anakin as a full Jedi, his fighting style, his potential realized, and just how close he is to falling to the dark side by executing Dooku.

>Obi Wan vs Grievous
Want to see Obi Wan quip like Errol Flynn at a giant CGI robot dinosaur with asthma? Me either. Grievous is not a character. Doesn't hurt the franchise beyond wasting time.

>Palpatine vs Mace Windu
Wasted potential. Put him in a robe and put the fittest mofo ever in it. Lucas should have been trying to avoid showing that it was Dermott, not featuring it with closeups.

>Yoda vs Palpatine
After being stuck with how he fights in AOTC, they did the best they could here. It's not terrible, but it could have been better.

>Anakin vs Obi Wan
Besides some hilarious gifworthy moments, there's nothing really wrong with it. It's tryhard epic in the extreme, but every complaint I've heard is equally tryhard. You could not end this bromance on a low note.

>it was over choreographed
So you mean it didn't feel realistic? Felt like fighters could read each other minds as if they had a superhuman ability? Congratulations, that's what it was supposed to feel like.

no u

Have you ever seen a footballer juggle the ball around seemingly for no reason? That's exactly the same, brainlet. You keep moving and you keep you enemy wondering which one of those moves will be a strike. People in real life don't do it with swords because people in real life conserve stamina, they don't have space wizard abilities.

Dooku had decades of more training and lost to Anakin in III.

>i..it's supposed to feel like they're not trying to hit eachother

I know you think you're defending them, but that actually makes it worse.

>hilarious gifworthy moment
Nothing beats the moment on which pic related is taken from

youtube.com/watch?v=rWF0f183tSA

Rey vs Kylo was good too, the way the lightsabers have weight and how they interact with the environment is kino, too bad the choreography in TLJ was meh

>they have the best lightsaber duels out of all the SW movies by far
This is only true if you've played d6 Star Wars.

He was also a much older man. I know he's a wizard, but in real fights young beats old all the time.

>best
Lightsaber duels always look like shit to me.

B-b-but if you pause every frame you'll see that it's choreographed unlike the original fights!!

Both of them flailing at each other as hard as possible smacking blades together. "Rey have you heard of womyn power?" *Stands there for a full minute drawing on all of her estrogen.* *Flawlesses Ren.*

It was one of the worst scenes in the history of the franchise.

you should know better than to post this by now, there's a girl in it, it's too upsetting.

Anakin vs Obi Wan is one of the most ridiculous fights in history, awful shit

Obi was Force-kicked in the face. He back flips to compensate.

all fights are choreographed, the problem is that the prequel duels look more like ballet than people actually fighting and there's absolutely nothing to the choreography besides HURR DURR GO AS FAST AS POSSIBLE DURR and the fights very rarely evoke any sort of characterization

Stuff like in ESB when Vader goads Luke into attacking him and then disarming him to show how far apart they are in skill. Luke going apeshit in RotJ when Vader threatens Leia. Kylo punching his wound and toying with Finn. Rey's battle cry when fighting the royal guard in TLJ. The prequels are totally devoid of shit like that, it's all sterile fighting that's all sound and fury signifying nothing

why did obi-wan run at a normal pace through the red force fields instead of doing a force jaunt like he did earlier in the movie

aim any old how/go to the dentist

Not enough flashy backflips and unnecessary twirling. Too boring.

Honestly my favorite fights after the OT was the TFA one, it just felt more grounded and realistic, TLJ fight sucked dick though.

>It's bad because they're not flailing wildly with EMOTION like women on their period
t. brainlet
In the duel between Obi-Wan and Anakin for example, Anakin fights more physically and aggressively while Obi-Wan is defensive and trying to draw out the fight.
Obi-Wan is more eager and emotional in the fight between Qui-Gon & Obi-Wan and Maul while Qui-Gon is more experienced and sticking to his training.

Dual in pic you posted being the best no doubt.

youtube.com/watch?v=J0mUVY9fLlw

It's nothing to do with youth. Dooku beats Obi and Anakin and fights Yoda to a standstill in II. Then BTFO's Obi in III.

This is one of the things mike gets wrong, Lucas wanted to show the fights differently because it was "in the prime of the Jedi" & make them more like a chess game instead of stylised fencing

The lack of emotional weight is wrong also, just because he doesn't like Qui'Gon doesn't mean others didn't, the real problem with this battle is there is 10 other things going on & the tone is all over the place

His powers have doubled since the last time they met

None of the prequel fights compared to either of the Luke vs Vader fights. There was actual emotion and weight behind them.

Obi-Wan vs Anakin was SUPPOSED to be that kind of fight, but it was hidden behind a bunch of overly choreographed CGI garbage. At least they did a good job with the "you were my brother" stuff, but Ewan McGregor is capable of turning literal shit to gold. Brilliant Obi-Wan casting.

quality shitpost

I agree with this. It's not just the best light saber duel in the series but probably the best sword duel ever put on film.

correct.

Wait a minute why did it cut the part where he is sliced in half falling down?

If you sit down and autistically analyse it, it's pretty stupid. Same thing happens if you sit down and autistically analyze the OT.

OT fights are retarded. Not lightsaber fights, fights in general. What's the fucking point of blaster fire? It's really fucking slow and ineffective, not to mention a lot of them have clear weak spots projectiles would hit easily. There is almost zero tension every time someone is being shot at, because everyone is really inaccurate and the weapons feel powerless.

Space battles are equally stupid once you delve into them. The rebel fleet seems so insignificant, with tiny little fighters which the huge Star Destroyers seem to miss entirely. The only moment of tension is when they miss the hole in the Death Star.

While you're at it, let's say every single martial arts movie ever made fucking sucks as well. The blows rarely feel like they have any strength to them and any true fighter would absolutely destroy the martial artist. Very few of them are anything but flipping around and looking good while doing so.

On that note, the prequel duels were amazing. Every single kid who ever watched them loved them. Anyone but people who deconstruct them frame by frame liked them. Even the biggest critics of TPM will admit they loved the Duel of the Fates.

yep and only because of the darth maul cunt being a proper martial artist. anything with dooku or yoda is laughable.

>I don't know shit
lot of words to say that

only superficially.

>I have no counter-argument

Still too many words to say that

this. fuck you ballet watching ninny fags. i want weight and grit to my action

Dooku fighting Anakin and Obi-Wan in ROTS wasn't bad.

youtube.com/watch?v=eYT3ctPuVRw

>literally posts "it's only bad if you actually think about it"
>"lulz, no counter-argument"
nice

The best acted scene in any of the Star Wars movies is Obi Wan/Anakin "you're the chose one scene" from RotS.

>literally posts "lol you're stupid"
>'"lulz rekt"

bad deflection.
your entire post was "you only thought it was bad if you thought about it" and tried to, but failed, to apply that to OT
Then you said prequel fights were good because "everyone knows it"

But thanks for playing, no further need to indulge you

That wasn't my entire post.

I didn't say that.

Thanks for playing, no further need to indulge you either.