/lbg/ - Letterboxd General

post profiles and discuss what you have recently watched

QOTD: Recommend a lesser known film from the year that corresponds to the last two digits of this OP

Other urls found in this thread:

letterboxd.com/machill54/
youtube.com/watch?v=aeQOJZ-QzBk
letterboxd.com/robertopancake
letterboxd.com/Arokz/
letterboxd.com/film/the-frame/
youtu.be/smMa38CZCSU
youtube.com/watch?v=5MOpZUvHmn4
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

cartel kino

>"gettin' a boner"

what did he mean by that

You don't really think you'll win, do you?

HI BRUCE !

she was pretty in My Fair Lady

Recommendations are casual satisfaction.

Was that battle of sexes review supposed to be making fun of me bruce!?

In retrospect, after getting to know Taylor Sheridan, this film is pretty good. I did dislike it first.

You said it was about GREED, but it's a better Vertigo without you realizing it. It is about desire without having a Jimmy Stewart conduit driving around for 30+ minutes literally being about desire. Battle of the Sexes is juxtapositional desire and a vindictive drama about infidelity disguised as a comedy. Phyllis Haver acts as a model for some of Griffith's most aggressive yet playful and self-critiquing attacks on modernism. The picture starts with her smacking her gums with bubblegum reading Little Women then searching for prey, she plays not a ragtime tune on a piano with her BUTT. You make mention of the suicide sequence as formal quality, but the subtlest details are the most resounding. The jumpcuts in the last quarrel act as signifiers, but signifiers for what? Signifiers for rightful pairing? Foreshadowing of reversal? The jump cut is a disruption of continuous time, does this perhaps imply that the temporal continuum has reset?

>Probably Nolan's best directorial achievement so far, and one that earns consideration for the Best Director Oscar this year. Nolan has always been a sub-par visual storyteller who has only been enhanced by his frequent collaborators, but with Dunkirk he managed to escape many of his shortcomings and utilized the technology and partnership afforded to him, making slight personal advancements in multi-directional movement and juxtapositional representation.
BRUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Vertigo was just OK.

letterboxd.com/machill54/

Tfw have a big brain

Sad it took so long for me to watch cemetery man
idk if /thegrifter even posts here still, but he was right, it rules

what does Cemetary Man do?

works in a cemetery
shoots zombies
has existential crises

p badass

Griffith would have voted for Hillary.

machill is p badass

Shut up, slave.

but it's true

Shut up, slave.

how much is he spinning in his cryogenic chamber over the absolute state of his company?

youtube.com/watch?v=aeQOJZ-QzBk

Intolerance is a better attack. Objective. We don't fill in the Rockefeller stand-in's shoes. We see casual glimpse of rise and implied fall (note: implied) amongst the backseat of mankind (bigger picture)

We do not sympathize with the Rockefeller stand-in in Intolerance, and his occupied screentime (very little in the grand scheme of the picture) gives a possible sense of commonality to his actions, an inevitable every day.

Mr. Rockfeller stand-in wasn't the main character of Intolerance.

We do not want be explicitly told the subjectivity of perspective, we do not want to be reminded of causal deception (i.e. Hitchcock 1950s subtract To Catch a Thief). That is ARTIFICE! We must STRIP the artifice to get TRUTH! The lies are secreted, the every day is a fucking lie, they are in plain sight! To not remind, secrete!

Who is the main character of Intolerance?

The rocking chair lady

WRONG

Is this or is this not subjective perspective?

I recently watched all of Satoshi Kon's films again and I honestly just love the way he edits and directs his films. It's a shame he is dead now because I honestly think he is better than Miyazaki personally.

The girl on the cover

NO! This is ambiguous subjectivity! Who is the party being looked at? Does the black background imply anything at all or does it imply everything? This is NOT Hitchcock Jimmy Stewart conduit bullshit! This is NOT Searchers searching! This is luminous ambiguity!

That, my man, is boring shit.

>I honestly just love the way he edits and directs his films
Match cuts are NOT intelligent. Griffith is contrapuntal attraction, not unity, not continuity!

FORCE! The multiplied duality of force!

megaautist masturbates to Audrey Hepburn with Eddy.

Wow, did Kubrick rip this off?

>kikebrick

Look, it's Rear Window except better in every way

Robert Wise is wise

David Lean's films are pretty lean

Michael Bay sits by the bay

The negro was killed by David Lynch

robertopancakes is at the top of people I ultimately despise the most. his sympathy for non-entities is his weakness

>robertopancakes
who the fuck names themself that

A boy that will never become a man

post the webms

My dic got crushed by watching this! Never saw Emeiley kissing other girl! Very hot im saving this on my harddrive!

Don't see Lincoln, Bruce. It's a pleb filter

which lincoln?

The wonder film of the century, about the most romantic figure who ever lived!

Silent film master D.W. Griffith’s first talkie works as a companion piece to his classic BIRTH OF A NATION, providing a detailed biographical sketch of the 16th president. We see his birth in a log cabin, the tragic death of his first love, Ann Rutledge (Una Merkel), his debates with Douglas, his accepting of the presidency, the terrible toll of the Civil War, and finally the tragic assassination at Ford’s Theater. Griffith shows his usual meticulous attention to period detail, and the framing of the various vignettes has the feel of historical photographs come to life. Walter Huston is excellent in the title role, with a portrayal that subtly evolves from laconic, wizened rascal to noble elder statesman. This is a fascinating, worthy film, and an interesting historical document in and of itself.

post the webms

Maybe when I catch up to Speilberg's Lincoln I could watch Griffith's Lincoln beforehand

BREAKING: Papa John's founder John Schnatter to step down as CEO;

Lincoln is the peak of tableau. Griffith's moving camera reaches a self-conscious lateral omniscience, creation imbued with the spirit of God's manifestation

Try not to spoil it for me brosef

post webms

You've already seen it I'm assuming otherwise why would you be posting screenshots

user is asking for webms but i already postad them!!!!!!!!!!!!! hello??????????????

i didn't ask for degenerate shit

Lesbians can't get AIDS

who saw lincoln
post your profile, do not recede in the shadows

letterboxd.com/robertopancake

your jests do not foster chuckle

Nominated for Best Assistant Director in 1933

reveal yourself

Ok letterboxd.com/Arokz/

/swimmingpool

I crave entertainment

>Mon Oncle
MY FUCKING NIGGER

who the fuck names themself swimming pool

xdidh t thisggs th d htos?

/blackstreetboy

>Faust 4 1/2
>Rohmer
>Ozu
>Zulawski
>Bugman
You do.

I do.

I see you like pretty pictures

megaautist probably loves Happy Madison films

You bloo bloo

ah-bloo-bloo

This is not a good shot. Lack of tonal range and reserved expressions only elicit monotony and air. This is not ennui, this is nothing. The details in a Griffith shot serve to counterbalance and communicate multi-faceted meaning

Oftentimes, Griffith's environments would serve to insult his models not compliment

Lawrence Olivier's Hamlet (1948)

Extraordinary. You would do yourself a disservice in ignoring one of the screen's most gifted artists

Anyone seen this little gem?
letterboxd.com/film/the-frame/

youtu.be/smMa38CZCSU

Modesty Blaise > anything Antonioni turd

Pick complex communication not empty disenchantment

youtube.com/watch?v=5MOpZUvHmn4

Kazan and Cassavetes are cinematic whining. Whining through performance

Antonioni is visual whining

Good art should attack, not defend

Kazan outed a bunch of commies and perpetually triggered Hollywood for decades so he has my respect

Perfect description.

Cassavetes is shit.

reminder that I will fricken k*ll you if you continue to post at robertopancakes the way you are posting at robertopancakes

Why do psueds want me to watch foreign films so much?