What is it about this guy that makes him such a fan favorite?

Pic absolutely related
Visited the cbr forums today (in b4 'you have to go back') and the top three discussions were all about him
I've read and loved the Loebs-Waid-Morrison/Millar-Johns runs, but those ended like 12 years ago, and he hasn't had a good comic since
I almost can't believe he still has such a big following

One of the few big 2 characters to have a well rounded and natural development.

This, plus a long solid comic run.

Some of the most important things that happened to The Flash happened when he was The Flash . Like the Speed Force.

To be fair, he was put in a pit editorial wise, so he could have hardly a good story in the last decade, you know.

The Rebirth issue was a really nice one, and it was basically Wally's monologue.

A long run full of good stories that established both him and the entire Flash Family as characters with their own niche in the DCU.

The Wally West era was pivotal in the Flash lore, starting with the Speed Force and the whole Jay/Max/Johnny Quick cooperation with the new heroes.

He's easy to self-insert into because he's young and "average Joe-ish". These people can't really appreciate a character unless they see them adolesce. He also draws power-level-fags to him like flies to shit. Also see Kyle Rayner and Dick Grayson, you'll find a lot of overlap in these fandoms.

There hasn't been a good Flash comic at all in those 12 years either unless you count the Johns Rogues minis.

Man, I really want Max Mercury to come back. Sure, Jay is coming back and that's great, but it was Max the one who really give them a counterpoint to Wally's character. I can see Jay being supporting character to Barry and Max to Wally.

He's one of the very few major legacy characters who actually grew into and earned his title.

We watched him grow from immature hotshot trying to fill some big shoes into arguably the most iconic holder of his name. Wally defined what it meant to be The Flash for an entire generation and a lot of stuff that happened during his tenure as -The- Flash is still an integral part of the character's world to this day.

On a podcast Williamson said he was going to do it in the first Rebirth arc but couldn't fit it in. Didn't really give any info beyond that though so I don't know if that means he was already going to have powers and just come out of hiding to help or if he was going to get powers with the rest of the newfags.

Says who?

I actually are more drawn to Jaison, out of the batfamily. And I don't really care for GL as a whole: everyone is alright to me.

It they go together for someone, it's because they were in a sort of team up by the same time.

I feel like Wallyfags don't really care about Kyle much overall, though they do like Dick. It's mostly people who read JL that feel like that was an important friendship.

>A thread by Atlanta96

Rogues Revenge and BN: Flash were so awesome

I'm still bootyblasted about BN Flash due to the character assassination of Owen

>What is it about this guy that makes him such a fan favorite?

All Flash stories that are worth a damn has Wally as the star. Ever since Barry came back it's either retreating Wally's stuff (see: Godspeed ripping off from Blitz), boring stuff immediately forgotten (Mob Rule, whatver Daniel West was) or outright shit (entire Venditti run).

TV show uses Wally's enemies, cast and his stories. Even Savitar plot is a lame adaptation of Terminal Velocity. Less said about Zoom, the better.

His character was essentially built from the ground-up starting at the height of the Bronze Age, the most revolutionary period of cape comics writing.

He bridges the gap between all the novelty, history and legacy of the classic superheroes and the more nuanced, character-driven writing of the modern age.

>He's easy to self-insert into because he's young and "average Joe-ish".

So he's basically DC's Spidey? No wonder he gets screwed over a lot.

No he's actually a Chad in all facets of life, unlike Peter. Definitely would not call Wally an average Joe type.

Peter was a superchad by the late 80's, around the same time Wally was an adult.

Like the rest said, he is the fanboy like Dick/Thawne/Kyle/and Tim.

With the extreme power level increase of their person they looked up to since they got an extended teaching from whoever.

Except for Thawne and Tim, it is truly the SuperBoy Prime thing, comic person looking up at idol then get to be idol and even surpass idol.

Also Barry and Batman have the personality of a wet napkin, Hal is just an idiot.

When you say "personality" what do you mean?

For me it's because most of the definitive Flash stuff happened with him, and he's THE example of a legacy character surpassing the original

To anyone born around the time of CoIE, Wally was most likely the Flash they read.
He was also the flash of the Dini-verse Justice League.

He has a run of great stories that is second only to Daredevil. It's so good even Morrison had to make a pitstop in his prime and write it for a year (with Mark Millar but nobody's perfect).

Also he's like the one character that got to develop from sidekick to prominent hero, which is unique in the world of comics.

>ginger Chad

That run feels more Millar than Morrison tbqh, but it's great nonetheless. Millar is good sometimes.

Young Justice fags

>Rakzo
>Atlanta96

Gingers are likeable.

All the best Flash stories revolve around Wally and they literally just reuse Wally storylines to try to make Barry interesting.

DCU Rebirth was a Wally comic and was the best cape comic DC's made in the last decade.

Of course Wallyfags like Dick. They're best friends and interact more than most characters. They're often on the same teams and such.

Barry is either a dweeb or only scientific.

Batman has no emotions (other than maybe anger)

Both could be replaced by a robot and many wouldn't notice.

He's a comics ginger. Gorgeous red flowing locks and beautiful features rather than a round faced, ghostly pale weirdo.

Yes user, wallyfags do indeed like dick.

Well aren't you the clever.

I've heard many girls say they won't touch any guy with red hair no matter how facially attractive he is

I like Kyle, don't like Wally, and am pretty meh on Dick. What does that make me in your purview?

I'm surprised considering his age-range, brief Titans membership, and connections to Donna and Wally that Kyle's not slotted into Dick's generation and teammates more as the Lantern-equivalent sidekick that never was when they were actually kids.

They actually did hang Kyle around the Titans for awhile, what with him and Donna Troy hitting it off for a bit. But the Titans don't do shit in space and their adventures are low impact so they just moved Kyle back out into the GLverse where he fits better.

Well Wally's the slutiest slut in DC comics so things are different there. Multiple women talk about how handsome Wally is in his younger days, before Linda tamed him.

I suspect red hair is just more fun for colorists. which is why it's always that deep red instead of light ginger, it's more vibrant.

red is super overrepresented in both genders. wally, roy, starfire, barbara, poison ivy, jimmy olsen, etc for this reason

Eh. There's only like 3 active male heroes with red hair (Guy, Wally, Roy). Considering how many heroes there are that's not that overrepresented. I think the number actually gets more accurate when you bring supporting characters, because then you basically have Pied Piper and Jimmy that I can think of out of thousands of supporting male characters.

Girls are definitely super overrepresented, but you could chalk that up to hair dying. There's a lot of unnatural redheaded women in real life, after all.

Meanwhile, Tim Drake is still treated like trash. And you'd think Dick would get some respect, but you'd be surprised

Dick has his own comic and has for a while now. That's better than Wally's gotten since 2009.