PUNISHER STORYTIME OF PAIN

PUNISHER STORYTIME OF PAIN

For this whole year I'm going to be storytiming Punisher comics at least once per week. Most of them will be pre-Ennis stories, but expect the occasional Ennis era or post-Ennis era story as well.

This week I'll be posting the infamous Jigsaw Puzzle story arc.

I'll be honest with you. This story is... not good. No, that's not even accurate. This story is irredeemable shit. No, that's not even fair to irredeemable shit. This is just BAD. Like there aren't even really words to describe how ill-advised this story was. It's one those who--thought-this-was-a-good-idea things from the 90s that was so bad and so instantly poorly received that Marvel right after the story finished basically pretended it never happened and hasn't acknowledged it since. Why exactly? Read it and find out. And if it doesn't seem THAT bad at first, then trust me: Keep reading. It will be.

Also of note is that this arc is 6 issues long, making it the longest Punisher story ever as of the time of its publication. Thankfully for anyone who had to suffer through this when it was coming out, it was also published twice per month, so it only took 3 months to finish instead of 6, which to be fair had to have made this much easier to endure.

The only positive thing that can really be said about this story arc really is that it featured some really nice cover work on some of the issues, but that hardly matters given what's behind them.

Oh, and did I mention that it was written by the otherwise usually excellent Mike Baron? To this day I still wonder if this was his idea or if it was forced on him by editorial. I like to imagine it was the latter, because I somewhat doubt editorial'd have let any writer make such dramatic changes to the core of a series without their permission. Though who knows... (If you do know I actually genuinely would like to know myself.)

Anyway, let's get this over with.

PUNISHER #35-40

STORYTIME

Other urls found in this thread:

desuarchive.org/co/thread/88815455/
desuarchive.org/co/thread/88890646/
desuarchive.org/co/thread/89163408/
desuarchive.org/co/thread/89314601/
desuarchive.org/co/thread/89328851/
desuarchive.org/co/thread/89514921/
desuarchive.org/co/thread/89630150/
desuarchive.org/co/thread/89872272/
desuarchive.org/co/thread/90057656/
desuarchive.org/co/thread/90256890/
desuarchive.org/co/thread/90266172/
desuarchive.org/co/thread/90424952/
desuarchive.org/co/thread/91415649/
desuarchive.org/co/thread/91603354/
desuarchive.org/co/thread/91789401/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

PREVIOUS STORYTIMES HERE:

Circle of Blood
desuarchive.org/co/thread/88815455/
Return to Big Nothing
desuarchive.org/co/thread/88890646/
Marvel Preview #2 / Marvel Super Action #1
desuarchive.org/co/thread/89163408/
Punisher #1-10
desuarchive.org/co/thread/89314601/
Daredevil #257
desuarchive.org/co/thread/89328851/
Assassin's Guild (Marvel Graphic Novel #40)
desuarchive.org/co/thread/89514921/
Punisher #11-20
desuarchive.org/co/thread/89630150/
Intruder (Marvel Graphic Novel #51)
desuarchive.org/co/thread/89872272/
Punisher War Journal #1-7
desuarchive.org/co/thread/90057656/
Punisher War Journal #8-9 / Punisher #21-25
desuarchive.org/co/thread/90256890/
Shadowmasters #1-4
desuarchive.org/co/thread/90266172/
Amazing Spider-Man Annual #15 / Daredevil #182-184
desuarchive.org/co/thread/90424952/
Punisher War Journal #10-19
desuarchive.org/co/thread/91415649/
Punisher War Journal #20-24
desuarchive.org/co/thread/91603354/
Punisher #26-34
desuarchive.org/co/thread/91789401/

BUMP IF YOU'RE READING

Art's nice at least.

It usually was on Marvel books back in the day. They used to have super high standards.

Art seems to be mostly real lazy these days.

Although when it's on point, it's on point.

DESU, it doesn't have to be perfect all the time as long as the style and designs fit the story that they're trying to tell.

>LAIR!
>6-666
Huh. I wonder what's insi...

...welp. Shocking.

Bullpen Bulletins

Oh, hey, Not-Jim Jones is back.

Letters page

Fucking Billy.

ISSUE #36

>rocket jumping off the highway
niiice

Letters page

ISSUE #37

For all the things that go wrong in this story, the art is not one of them. I should have mentioned that in the OP. "The only positive thing that can really be said about this story arc really is that it featured some really nice cover work on some of the issues AND it had nice artwork."

>that frankface

Letters page

Tourists from /k/ reporting in. Storytime of pain means it's supposed to be bad?

So far this doesn't seem HORRIBLE, at least not worthy to be considered a full-on Storytime of Pain. It's just kind of disjointed and messy, and the plot is full of holes. It's not awful, just kind of mediocre.

ISSUE #38

>Storytime of pain means it's supposed to be bad?

Yep.

Jigsaw looks like a drag queen.

Trust me.

>first panel
>jigsawgetsraped.jpg

>written by the otherwise usually excellent Mike Baron

There was also that stupid arc where Frank turns black, though that was probably forced by editorial to promote the Luke Cage series with a tie-in.

This and that are probably the low points of pre-Marvel bankruptcy mass-relaunch Punisher.

>mass-relaunch

I probably should have said "mass-cancellation", referring to when Harras gave the bulk of Marvel's books the ax in 1995 and relaunched The Punisher with a single title following Marvel's second bankruptcy of the decade.