Realistically, what are the chances Battle Angel Alita won't be complete shit?

Realistically, what are the chances Battle Angel Alita won't be complete shit?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/CYGAyNkIHlA
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>live action anime

If shitty superhero comics can be turned into multi-billion dollar franchises then theoretically there's no reason shitty superhero manga can't either.

Why did they try to make real life moe face? are they retarded?

1%
Even setting aside the anime eyes, as someone completely ignorant to the source material, there was absolutely nothing interesting about that trailer, it felt like a perfectly generic, low brow science fiction story about a robot fighting other robots in a slum

If it isn't rated R, none

well essentially thats what alita is. shes actually the most boring part of her own universe

I remembered liking the ova as a boy. Then I forgot about it. Good times. Wouldn't want to watch it again

The story is good enough that it's hard to fuck up. They'll have the budget they need, I think the success of the film depends on whether Cameron can make the film have a good pace, which I think he can if it's not 3 hours long, personally I'd prefer multiple installments but I doubt he'll do it, haven't kept up with the news on it though. The trailer seemed a bit brighter than I pictured the story and Alita isn't as sexy as I'd like, but those are minor nitpicks. It's basically guaranteed money for Cameron.

When she pulls out her heart and offers it in the manga, its as a stake in an arm wrestling match. She's demanding the right to challenge the motor ball champ and putting her life on the line.

I don't understand why they show her giving it to Hugo in the trailer. I guess they reappropriate what was a real badass scene as a way to foreshadow how she'll hook his brain to her life support when he gets demolished

>James Cameron relegated himself to producer
into the trash it goes

Absolutely 0

zero percento~desu

You should never let a spic near a camera

This is the case.
Everyone should read the mangas though.
25bf50a8ccf567b4b8da735056ee9645b27727cc

Cameron is good and he bought the rights to Alita a long time ago. It's an old love of his. As long as you don't demand the film stick slavishly to the story you'll probably enjoy it.
My only concern is that Desty Nova won't be given his due. He's the true star and his motivations are abstract. He could translate well to screen as long as the writers and directors don't patronize the audience.

>I don't understand why they show her giving it to Hugo in the trailer.
Because she gives in to Hugo in the books too. He's her first love and she compromises everything for him. Even her moral instincts. She decides she doesn't even care that he's mutilating people for money. Only after he dies does she develop ideals she'll never sacrifice.

Oh sorry I misread you. Yeah. You're right. It's an obvious nod to the arm wrestling scene. And life support foreshadowing.

Surprised the movie isn't filled with forced niggers like other anime adaptions.

About 0%. Westerners don't understand Japanese sensibilities. Even those who are huge fans of anime will tell you that anime characters are white. Thus proving that their interpretation of the media is skewed by their western viewpoint.

You don't have to always refer to black people as niggers, just because you're on Sup Forums.

Why not?

Because it comes off as forced. Like you're only using the word to fit in.

With Robert Rodriguez and James Cameron involved, it's a 50/50 at this point. If they had got some literal who like the dude who directed the live action Ghost in the Shell, the odds would be lower.

The bug-eyed CG uncanny valley look isn't going to help them at all. I'll watch it for free when I get a chance.

well they haven't made a good one yet

Remember, most capeshit in the 80's and 90's was garbage. It wasn't until they fucked up a couple dozen times that they figured out how to do it right. There's only been a handful of Western live-action anime adaptations, so it'll take time.

A lot of it was, no doubt, but there were the Superman movies, only the first two were good, and Batman and Batman Returns. These were huge at the time, everyone loved them. Every iteration of anime has been hilariously bad

>Even those who are huge fans of anime will tell you that anime characters are white.
I fucking hate this meme but some faggots unironically believe this and it makes me angry.

>Does it bother you that I'm not completely human?

Even the trailer addresses this, it is discussed in a thread every single day. They gave her a moe face because it's what the new custom demands. We're living in the age of waifus. Get over it. A failure to adapt will result in your old age, stagnation, and eventual extinction.

This is a case of "If Ghost in the Shell made Box Office numbers, we can do it to Alita too!" situation. Movie for normies.

Edge of Tomorrow.

>doubting based Cameron
It's gonna be amazing

why

I'll give you that. One of the few Jap things handled well by the west that isn't a samurai to western conversion.

Shut up nigger

Gunnm is pure kino you faggot.

Check out the dubs on this smelly nigger!

shut up nigger

Ido's assistant is not a black woman in the source material

Let me axe you something.

You think you're going to ever escape tokenism and affirmative action while Jews are still alive?

Serious question.

impossible to adapt into a single feature due to how much it has going on and they now also ruined the chance at sequels with the retarded as fuck eyes

nobody will see this movie

Look me in the eyes and tell me this won't suck.

It has probably the best chances of any live action anime adaptation just because Cameron and del Toro are such professionals, and Cameron has been trying to get this project to happen since 2000 or so so he's clearly invested in it. Still, live adtion anime adaptations have a horrible track record so I'll give it maybe 20% and even that is highballing it.

I just don’t know why people are defending this shit...

Why do people want a live action anime...?

It fucking baffles me man...

>finds a pair of tits in a junk pile
>finally I can build my waifu

there were actually black people in the comic so you can stop trying to be edgy

>we wanted to do something with the manga eyes that we've seen since the 30's in Astro boy
>Astro Boy
>30's
Rodriguez has said this twice now.
Why does he pretend to know what the fuck he's talking about?

>del Toro
Are you retarded you god damn Redditor?

Isn't it directed by Guillermo del Toro? Or was it some other mexican?

The scene Worm took over the the body with superfingers cyborg was brutal.

the original manga was created by del Toro.
He's not directing it, you retard.

You can feel the Manga author was getting more and more edgier as the manga progesssed

Fuck, it was Robert Rodriguez

I always mix them up

Unfortunately I think Alita will be shit. The CGI looks bland, generic and all wrong, the cyber designs seen in the trailer are just blah, Hugo has become a high school Chad, and alitas face could be a real problem.

Reminder, the eyes are the way they are because in the manga she's an older model, who were more doll like and thus had those eyes. Additional reminder, James Cameron is intimate with the source material.

that's never brought up in the manga and all the other young female characters have the same size of eyes. Her eyes also looked the same back when her face was organic.

youtu.be/CYGAyNkIHlA
I'd say it's a 50 50 shot

We are in negative value territory here, friendo.

The trailer managed to get so many basics of the Setting wrong that it has no chance in hell to be decent. None.

why would the older model have bigger eyes?

No, stop lying and fuck off.

You're James Cameron and you want to direct this but you can't. Which director do you hire?

no one gives a fuck. It looks retarded trying to meld anime eyes with real life.

0%

Rian Johnson

Neil Blomkamph

That's an adaptation of a book

Quentin Tarantino

looks like kino

>The trailer managed to get so many basics of the Setting wrong

?? But it looked exactly like the manga ??

The only visible difference in the trailer is that they westernized a bunch of the names (ie. Dyson instead of Daisuke) and that Alita has the googly eyes.

is this shit Cameron's firs anime why he loves he it so much?

sad it wasnt Ninja Scroll or Vampire Hunter D Bloodlust

How can you mix em up nigger? Are you blind? It's like mixing Woody Allen and Ron Perlman cause both are jews.

the japanese have done tons that are good

its Hollywood that sucks at making them

I till get like a 6.5 score on imdb,screencap this

only if the japanese are the ones doing it

zero chance of a hollywood shit being good

I don't know what the fuck they look like, I only know that they're both spics and pretty decent movie directors.

Seriously. I loved the manga and would be interested in watching it but fuck me I CANNOT look at that for an entire movie's runtime.

>sad it wasn't Ninja Scroll

Why? That's shit compared to Gunmu.

I'd kill a man for more Cyber City Oedo, personally.

>or Vampire Hunter D Bloodlust
not just bloodlust, all of VHD deserves to be a big budget hollywood franchise. the original novels even draw almost exclusively from western influences: hammer horror flicks, spaghetti westerns and lovecraft being the big 3. there are like 30 novels to date. they could keep the men happy with the monsters and action and the women with the hunky half-vampire. just dont make him sparkle, that's not how sunlight syndrome works.

there is no source manga for cyber city though afaik. they'd have to just remake the 3 OVAs into live-action and that's kinda boring. also why isnt kawajiri directing anymore? did he died?

was it a manga, did they ever pay off their debt to society?

Oh no no no wtf were they thinking

CUTE!

I'm still mad from watching the trailer. Alita is fucking precious to me.

>When you want them to be false...but there's little to no evidence to thus such hoped for.

>Truth gets spoken at last.
You are a noble and a scholar, and you mah nigga.

About 3/10.

No source manga.
There was a japan-only adventure game, though I think it came out after the OVAs.

>there's little to no evidence to thus such hoped for.

You know what I want more of? Spriggan.
The movie only covered one arc of the manga. There was shit like a Hitler clone, Aztec wizards, Soviets and the US fighting over mythological superweapons, all sorts of rad shit.

Fuck you alita is great

It still can be saved if they make American McGee's Alice movie instead

>what are the chances Battle Angel Alita won't be complete shit?
it's made by rodriguez, so i say pretty high

Would actually not mind if they had made her into a short fat old black woman with a metal plate in her skull like the character she replaces, now she just looks like some nurse cameron picked up from a hospital

RIP

>Not believing in Based Jim
>209 days

holy fuck time to reread, how did I forget Spriggan

Low. Story changes are the first thing to notice before Alita's actually look. Changing shit so the whole second half can revolve around motor ball seems bad. Should have just focused on the first two volumes as a movie. I guess they didn't want the movie to end with Hugo dying and not much in the way of revenge. Jashugan will probably be re-wrote so he can be a Hollywood villain.

Ontop of that, the trailer implies people are going to come after Alita. Which is weird since no one knows who the fuck she is until Last Order.

No one knows who battle angel alita is, and the fanbase is always pissed about ANY live action remake.
Its destined to be a flop in the same way ghost in the shell was

>finally I can build my waifu
it's literally what appened at the beginning of the manga, that was the real intent of Ito