That was the first thing I had to figure out. Why is Luke on that island? And I didn’t have any answers...

>That was the first thing I had to figure out. Why is Luke on that island? And I didn’t have any answers. But it’s not like you can just pick anything you want out of the air. I grew up having a sense of who Luke Skywalker is. It guides you to a very specific path. I know he’s not hiding on the island. I know he’s not a coward. He must be there for a reason that he believes in. You’re finding a path forward, but there end up being fewer choices than you think.

NYT interview, three months ago.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=_lOT2p_FCvA
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>There is a hidden sinister force behind the seemingly 'evil' works of Rian

He was propped up as a 'white male' face of the man who killed Luke and Star Wars. Even though it was Kathleen 'Snoke' Kennedy all along.

Holy shit this guy has no idea what he's doing

>I grew up having a sense of who Luke Skywalker is.

This is a good one
>The Last Jedi director Rian Johnson killed off Snoke as it was deemed necessary to advance Kylo Ren with a compelling set-up for Episode IX. When asked if he ever planned to elaborate on Snoke's back-story, Johnson replied, "It would have stopped any of these scenes dead cold if he had stopped and given a 30-second speech about how he's Darth Plagueis. It doesn't matter to Rey. If he had done that, Rey would have blinked and said, 'Who?' And the scene would have gone on. [pause] And I'm not saying he's Darth Plagueis!"[25]

He doesn't even fully commit to killing off Snoke. He admits that Snoke can easily return and how it would introduce a new dynamic between him and Kylo. I mean seriously what the hell.

>"It would have stopped any of these scenes dead cold if he had stopped and given a 30-second speech about how he's Darth Plagueis. It doesn't matter to Rey. If he had done that, Rey would have blinked and said, 'Who?' And the scene would have gone on. [pause] And I'm not saying he's Darth Plagueis!"[25]

Of course it would have stopped the scenes dead cold. That would be a major twist/revelation for the audience, potentially powerful in the hands of a good director and not a fucking hack like you.

They really have no plan for this trilogy. This is so bad.

That's from Kylo's version of events. Why are people making it out to be the real Luke flashback?

This does put things into perspective and I do kind of feel for the guy. It's not his story. But this only leads me to the question: Why did they pick this guy? Did he say, hey I want to make a Star Wars movie but I don't know what it's about?

>
>The Last Jedi director Rian Johnson killed off Snoke as it was deemed necessary to advance Kylo Ren with a compelling set-up for Episode IX. When asked if he ever planned to elaborate on Snoke's back-story, Johnson replied, "It would have stopped any of these scenes dead cold if he had stopped and given a 30-second speech about how he's Darth Plagueis. It doesn't matter to Rey. If he had done that, Rey would have blinked and said, 'Who?

Yeah, what a shame Rey didn't have a Jedi master familiar with the Sith, who was busy hording Jedi knowledge...

You understand that Rian is just a pawn, and is a mouth piece in an era in which people forget things quickly? The whole "internet never forgets" era is dead and gone because people are distracted by a new, shiny shill each week. He probably didn't even write it, as is exposed by the amount of garbage he spews about Luke and how the movie pans out.

Because there's no real difference.

this is what's disappointing for me, it became so clear after this movie

I should've seen it coming from JJ, but man, as generic as TFA was I was excited to see where they were going to take the new characters...now I barely care

>Johnson replied, "It would have stopped any of these scenes dead cold if he had stopped and given a 30-second speech about how he's Darth Plagueis.

You mean kind of like how in Empire Darth Vader revealed to Luke he was his father?......

Huge difference. He's not looking to murder Kylo in the real version. He instinctively ignites his saber and instantly regrets it. The look on his face is completely different. A murderous face is what Kylo remembers.

Every interview with this guy, aside from making him sound genuinely stupid, makes it clear he should never have been allowed anywhere near this film. How did he go into the pitches with shit like;

>So, this plot thread that J.J. has left dangling that is incredibly simple and easy to tie up - yeah, I got nothing. Sorry. I'll just ignore it I guess.

Between this, the admission that they had zero plan for the trilogy and just rushed it out and the incessant firings, how is Kennedy still being allowed to run the show?

>It wouldn't have mattered to Rey

Sure, but you kind of fucked up when you made Rey one of a half dozen central characters.

Why would you include unreliable flashbacks in a fucking Star Wars movie?

Did Rian google "Star Wars influences", see Kurosawa and then pick Rashomon out of a hat?

lighting it up was the problem.

To be fair, "I am your father" rings a lot more dramatic and important than "I'm some ancient Sith Lord that Palpatine talked about one time."

Remember when they stopped the OT cold for 30 seconds and gave a bunch of exposition?

youtube.com/watch?v=_lOT2p_FCvA

Well Plagueis would just be: "I am your grandfather." (since he created Luke's father).

It's a character flaw. A moment of weakness versus murderous contemplation. Is Luke supposed to be perfect? Is he space Jesus?

Why don't they do something interesting with ancient sith lore, rather than just having more lazer space battles. Normies would eat up a faux gothic sith experience.

Maybe, I don't know, figure out how to craft a better character without the movie having to stop? Films have done it before.

No. He's just a man - with a man's courage.

Hence why studios pay writers lots of money to come up with shit better than "I'm some ancient Sith Lord that Palptaine talked about one time".

"I am responsible for Sheev Palpatine, Anakin Skywalker, the birth and the end of the Empire. I went into hiding but now I am back for Luke Skywalker, my grandson." (and potentially his granddaughter).

>"I am your grandfather."
I can just imagine the audience collectively cringing and groaning.

nigga he went on a suicide mission to the Death Star II to try to turn the second most evil character. All because he had hope that there was some glint of good in him.

That doesn't mean he's perfect.

No, but it means that he'll go to the ends of the galaxy to save people and not bitch out

>I know he’s not hiding on the island. I know he’s not a coward
yeah going into the island to die there while ignoring your sister's missed calls isn't hiding.

I'm starting to believe the people saying he's on the autistic spectrum desu

For the record, I think the Plagueis thing is kind of lame, but at least it's something. I fucking hate all the people tearing these theories down as stupid in order to defend the actually fucking nothing this movie gave us.

His folly should have been that he could have stopped Kylo but refused out of love for his family and he realizes his emotional attachments got in the way.

He died doing just that. Also, how about saving the other padawans from Kylo?

>saving the other padawans from Kylo?
Kylo literally dindu nuffin

I like the Plagueis thing because it actually tries to bring George's ideas into the sequel trilogy and bring everything together/full circle. And it's better than the shit Rian Johnson has put in.

>could have stopped kylo from murdering his entire academy but refused out of love
Sure that makes sense

>died doing just that
Why didn't he just raise his X-wing and BTFO of everyone? Or even become a martyr from ATAT blasts

Might be a contender for worst film of all time.

It's a more believable Jedi flaw than what we got.

>a martyr from ATAT blasts
That's retarded.

Better than dying from the way he did

>Skywalker blood is destined for the force, it wills it Kylo. Me, Vader, Luke, even the woman has a predilection for it, I feel it.
>My mother?
>Yes. Such a shame she had to be with that filth: Solo. That is why you are weak Kylo. That is why he was so easy. He wasn't a force user. Not like Vader, Not like me.

Its shit, but there you go Rian.

> It doesn't matter to Rey
it does because it involves kylo you dumb fuck.
everything about tlj just points to rian doing it all on purpose.
the question who he is trying to spite, disney, the audience or jj?

Look, man, I get your point.
A flawed and more cynical Luke it's a great twist on the charachter, but it wasn't simply developed enough.
Al we had were some nebolous line about the dark side overtaking Kylo.
We needed more than thah

So you make him a universal concept like the first Jedi who turned Sith and then Luke learns that from his books and that's why he stays on butthurt island for 10 years believing the Jedi are a sham.

>first jedi who turned sith
Please no. I'm already butthurt enough about "lol there was a super strong sith lord who was just chillin' on the fringes of space".

And how it still was one of the most emotionally memorable moments in the saga?

I like that better than plageius who Johnson is right would be a literal who to most people who aren't hardcore nerds and has a tenuous connection to the Skywalkers at best. At the moment the argument really should be is something better than nothing.

What kind of shit explanation is that? "Well, I'd already completely committed to having these exact scenes in the movie before I wrote the story and thought about whether it made any sense." What a fucking hack.

But it does mean he has past experiences that will let him handle that shit. If they wanted him all midlife crisis they should have come up with a more compelling reason.

>yfw Luke hid on the island because of a bald spot

No its a fucking writing flaw, Luke would never do that, not even in a moment of weakness

Fuck off if you want to shill, go buy an ad package from Hiro

That's actually pretty standard and normie.

here's an answer. he's dead. it's a force ghost. develop Rey, the main character of the new trilogy, instead.

Finding out Snoke can cheat death isn't something Rey/ the audience should be told, it's something she/ we should find out on-screen when he's alive again. Ghost Luke can then later ask her, "Have you ever heard the tragedy of Darth Plagueis the Wise?", and that's when she learns he created Anakin. "How do I defeat a man who won't stay dead? Kill him with kindness?" Luke bonks her on the fivehead "No you silly moof. Incineration".