Can the word “Mary Sue” please be bannable here? I’m sick of people misusing it and called all females characters that

Can the word “Mary Sue” please be bannable here? I’m sick of people misusing it and called all females characters that.

"Mary Sue" is a phrase, not a word.

Hi Daisy

Wouldn't be a problem if it was just replaced by "Hero Sue" so that gender is barely relevant to begin with.
But let's be honest for a moment now. Sexist connotations implicit with "Mary Sue" are actually part of the charm.

When has calling for words or phrases to be bannable ever worked? We could make list after list of words and phrases, even certain sentences, that should warrent a 3 day ban but no one will listen.

>implying they're not the same in his primitive language

What the fuck does it even mean?
Is it like calling a black man who acts white an Uncle Tom?

>not just taking out the root and blocking access to anyone with a reddit cookie

>please ban things that hurt my feelings
Just close your eyes. like just walk away from the screen nigga.

did the use of it begin with the new Star Wars? It's so retarded how common it is

All female characters are not Mary Sues.
Rey is definitely a Mary Sue, though. Nothing will ever change that. It's a fact. An objective, incontrovertible truth.

"Mary Sue" came before its male equivalents, so it should stay. Don't erase women's contributions in literature.

How is she a MarySue for being a strong female?

????

She isn't, people are just bothered by a Force-sensitive protagonist doing the same kind of bullshit that Luke and Anakin did, while having no dick and no blood relation to either.

>great at everything she does
>picks up force powers and training near instantly, at a rate that exceeds even that of the force Jesus, Anakin Skywalker
>succeeds at everything she tries
>defeats a man who trained with a lightsaber for the majority of his life while never having held a lightsaber in her hands prior to that
>defeats the strongest jedi in the galaxy (Luke) after training for three days with him with minimal effort
>master mechanic, master pilot, master marksman, master duelist, master force user, all instantly
>does no wrong
>everyone loves her, even the baddie she mutilated

Remember when Luke and Anakin beat the shit out of 3 thugs that attacked them less than 10 minutes into their first appearance in their respective movies?

>no experience with lightsabers before
>no experience with the force
>mind tricks stormtroopers
>wins the fight against Kylo because Rey is so fucking strong and Kylo is weak
>HURR DIII DURRR DEE FARCE IS FEMULZ
Rey is litterally the definition of a Mary Sue

I always assume some user is going to start complaining about certain words. Like nigger or faggot or any derivative. which, if you get that offended by words in a mongolin online theatre discussion community, posted by anonymous nerd virgins, you have bigger issues.

were Anakin and Luke orphaned scavengers who had to fend for themselves since they were children?

I know if it was the real world she'd probably lose, but then hero's in these type of movies often fight off huge amounts of bad guys and dodge bullets while headshotting everyone in a hundred foot radius, you only have a problem because it's a girl doing it this time.

When the fuck did Anakin beat up 3 thugs in TPM?

>banning words
boy i wonder who is behind this post

if it stayed at that, then she would have been a stronk womyn and only /tvpol/ would bitch about it

but they turned it up to beyond eleven and made her perfect at everything and anything, making her go from 'stronk current year womyn' and into 'feminist fanfiction mary sue'

>Rey was a competent combatant before
>b-but it wasn't with a lightsaber, it was a staff
>therefore, it's bad that she could hold her own against severely wounded, emotionally distraught Kylo

Remember when Luke and Anakin figured out how to do the mind trick without ever seeing someone do it or even knowing that it exists?

Yeah, I remember that part where she defeated a trained lightsaber user after waking up from being slammed into a tree hard enough to be knocked out. All she had to do was close her eyes and think about the force for 5 seconds.

They did figure out destroying droid control ships and Imperial superweapons on their first fight in a Naboo starfighter and an X-wing respectively.
Star Wars was always a story about people succeeding at unrealistic feats despite little expertise thanks to the aid of the Force.

Pay attention, people aren't just complaining she's good at fighting, it's everything else around it as well. She's good at everything, somehow, and even better at some things than the people who by all logic and reason should be better than her.

>therefore, it's bad that she could hold her own against severely wounded, emotionally distraught Kylo
Kylo killing his own father made him stronger with the dark side
When he was wounded he would repeatedly hit his wound. Pain is the key to the dark side.
Rey shouldn't have had a chance against him.
She shouldn't either have been the greatest at litterally everything.
It didn't even take her 2 movies before she was a better jedi than fucking Luke Skywalker.

Luke attended the mission briefing about the death star where they SHOWED THEM THE THING'S WEAK SPOT. He didn't figure out how to destroy it at all. That was laid out for him, and he still barely managed to concentrate on the force long enough to make that shot. I won't try to defend Anakin in TPM though. We already know those movies aren't good.

>that is the joke.jpg

oh, thought you were serious

>it's bad that she could hold her own against severely wounded, emotionally distraught Kylo

That's completely true. Rey beating Kylo is something that should have been saved for the 3rd movie, just like Luke wasn't able to beat Vader until VI, and Anakin didn't get good enough to beat Count Dooku until III. Just from a narrative POV, it doesn't make any sense to have the hero triumph over their primary rival on the first go. The idea is that the hero gets their ass kicked, and then they have to train and git gud, before they can finally get their shit together and beat the bad guy. That way, when the bad guy finally gets defeated, it is a moment of triumph.

Having Rey beat Kylo in their very first fight robs Rey of the chance to have her own arc where she has to git gud to overcome a superior foe.

>Kylo killing his own father made him stronger with the dark side
It didn't. He thought it would, but it actually made him feel weaker. Novelization says that explicitly, and you can see it from his expression in the movie.

Pain and suffering leads to hate, hate leads to the dark side

Remember when Luke jumped into the Millenium Falcon after being literally nothing but an orphaned scrap scavenger, and then proceeded to out fly trained military pilots with ease? Also how he knew how to fix a problem with the Falcon that even Han Solo couldn't?

Okay she's not a Mary Sue, she's an awful character with no development, depth, conflict, dynamic, or interest who pulls Force powers out of her ass less than a few hours after being introduced to them by Maz and is almost entirely flawless.

Awful character.

>Buy our books to understand the plot!

Fuck off Disney shill. Not buying your "books."

luke was better his first time in an x-wing than highly experienced fighter pilots, because the force and that's what the story required, there was no reason for him to be competent fighter pilot in space because he flew a different thing over ground in gravity back home.

she didn't overcome a superior foe, she equalled a severely injured and emotionally unstable one, that had no intention of actually killing her. do you really not see the difference or are you just shitposting?

>Luke's piloting ability is constantly reinforced in the movie
>The same company that makes X-Wings produces Skyhoppers which Luke has piloted and flown his entire life up to that point
>Has to be saved several times by other Alliance pilots and especially Han and Chewie on the Falcon to take out the Death Star
Are you retarded

Remember when Luke jumped into the X-wing after only ever piloting a skyhopper, and then proceeded to out fly trained military pilots with ease? Also how he knew how to shoot the missiles into the exhaust port when even his rebel comrades couldn't?

>and called (sic) all female characters that.
You are so pathetic. Honestly I hope Disney is getting you at a discount.

Are you retarded

I never got the sense that like was a "good" pilot in the first movie. His squad of fighters gets blown up and even though he luckily makes it into the trenches he still has to be saved by Han in the falcon before he's clear to take the shot. It might still be far-fetched but at least they tried.

>Luke was a better pilot than experienced fighter pilots
No he wasn't.
>she didn't overcome a superior foe, she equalled a severely injured and emotionally unstable one, that had no intention of actually killing her. do you really not see the difference or are you just shitposting?
Not him but yeah I remember when she defeated a trained lightsaber user after waking up from being slammed into a tree hard enough to be knocked out. All she had to do was close her eyes and think about the force for 5 seconds.

>outflys trained pilots
No. No he didn't. He had to be saved a lot by the other guys in x-wings and by Han.

And it was the only thing he was shown to really excel at, he trained with a lightsaber for a single scene, and shot at a bunch of troopers who deliberately let them escape so they could track them to their hidden base. Rey meanwhile, does everything herself and everyone likes her and she can do no wrong.
You have to at one point get it through your thick skull that it's ok to be good at one thing, everyone has things they excel at, but the problem arises when a character is good at everything from the get go, because how is an audience supposed to connect with that character's struggles if he or she is better at everything than everyone around them? There's no arc, no struggle, no real obstacle to overcome or triumph over. There's just people you haven't defeated yet because they're too far away.

Because you are a moron who didn't watch the film with your eyes open

My point is that from a narrative POV, having Rey beat Kylo in their very first fight is a terrible decision. How can there be any tension if the Hero beats the bad guy on the very first try? How can there be any feeling of triumph when Rey finally beats Kylo in IX, when we already saw her beat Kylo in VII?

For anyone out there that likes Rey I'm curious. What is something that Rey is bad at?

>BUT LUKE

you mean that protagonist who needs his ass saved repeatedly

Nah, the name "Mary Sue" should be renamed as Marey Sue in honor of the most literal definition of the character to have ever graced movie history.

>I didn't read past the first line: the post

Rey is terrible at bodily hygeine, chewing, cooking, spelling and smiling.

Getting Luke to actually help her
Getting Kylo to stop being evil
Not falling for Snoke's traps

>Yeah, I remember that part where she defeated a trained lightsaber user after waking up from being slammed into a tree hard enough to be knocked out. All she had to do was close her eyes and think about the force for 5 seconds.
>Not him but yeah I remember when she defeated a trained lightsaber user after waking up from being slammed into a tree hard enough to be knocked out. All she had to do was close her eyes and think about the force for 5 seconds.

literally posting the same thing over and over, was it autism?

you need to stop being so upset by a girl being the hero in a kids movie about space wizards.

She is a mary sue, she even said that she don't know how she knew how to pilot without training, she know how to mindrape without any training, she literally found out about being force sensitive a couple of minutes and was already doing jedi tricks

And acting.

>Getting Luke to actually help her
He did help her. He saved the "Resistance"
>Getting Kylo to stop being evil
That's for the next movie. Be patient.
>Not falling for Snoke's traps
And how did that turn out? With Snoke dead and a bratty child on top of the First Order along with his right hand - General Hugs who is even more ridiculous.

>I'm trying to be as much as tumblr as I can!!

I was just thinking what else could she possibly have to make her more definitive. I guess the only thing missing was her defeating snoke through arguments and convincing him the error of his ways.

I read your post, you are a retard. The reinforcement here is the other pilots complaining and feeling unease about the size of the thermal exhaust port and Luke confidently talks about nailing womprats the same size all the time on his Skyhopper. The fuck does the other pilots in Red and Gold squadrons getting blown out have to do with Luke's piloting ability? He saves Wedge, Wedge saves him, Biggs saves him, Red Leader fails to make the proper hit, Han saves Luke, etc...

luke skywalker is a mary sue

Styling her hair
Being pretty, but I can't hold that against her because she can't help the way her head and face are shaped.
>literally posting the same thing over and over
Well you clearly didn't process the information the first time, and it looks like you won't process it the second time either.

Don't worry, she did that to luke and they're saving it again for when she finally redeems kylo.

>the problem arises when a character is good at everything from the get go, because how is an audience supposed to connect with that character's struggles if he or she is better at everything than everyone around them? There's no arc, no struggle, no real obstacle to overcome or triumph over. There's just people you haven't defeated yet because they're too far away
this is reys issue, and it happens to be the definition of a mary sue. you cant get invested in her character because she never fucking fails. she has strong darkness in her heart, oh no how terrible, oh wait it did jack shit and meant nothing and she went and defeated it with ease. nothing is ever a problem. nothing matters. theres no fucking consequences. luke had his fathers image shattered and his hand cut off. anakins mom was raped and killed and his hand was cut off and his padawan left him and then he lost all his limbs. rey finds out her parents were no one special, how awful what a poor baby

>getting Luke to help
Oh yeah I forgot that there was never a line when Luke said "fine I'll help" and she, within 2 seconds of coaching displays a power Luke has "only ever seen once before"
>bad at turning Kylo to the light
You mean like when he executed the leader of the enemy forces?
>falling for snoke's traps
Oh no I got captured and blew up his planet-sized weapon. Oh no I intentionally went to Snoke's ship and convinced his apprentice to kill him.

>defending this movie

>censor this word
>stop calling women out
Gee whiz, I wonder who could be behind this post.

Yeah that's the entire point of my post you mouth-breathing autist. He doesn't seem to have crazy exceptional piloting skills, he saves and gets saved a pretty reasonable amount. The entire point of my original post was to challenge the idea that Luke was "instantly good" at piloting an x-wing and that he "out-flew" a bunch of military grade pilots. He lost all the ships he was flying with and still had to be saved. He's not a bad pilot but nothing about his performance makes me think he's particularly exceptional.

Are you touched in the head? He's clearly doing the opposite.

You're retarded, he was pointing out how much of a mary sue Rey was.

rename that picture to instrumentation

You're actually fucking brain dead the entire point of the post was to show that Rey is a shit character with no flaws and nothing she needs to improve upon which makes her boring as fuck. It also is the definition of "Mary sue"

Oh, you're right. I'm very tired and not focusing very well right now.

My goodness, to be so hurt by my words. You must be in great pain.

Go to bed user. You clearly need it.

>Shilling this hard

Her achievements are unearned and are practically handed to her. You need to stop having your fee fees hurt by someone not liking your shit waifu.

I prefer calling her a shit character

All mary sues are shit characters, it's one of the requirements for getting called a mary sue.

>misusing
'She already knows everything that is in those sacred jedi texts' - Yoda
'Rey is not Mary Sue' - a Fucking Faggot

>"He wasn't a good pilot"
You are retarded, a sub-human, a piss-ant, and a mongoloid troglodyte all wrapped in one package.

>waaah censor these words they are sexist waaah
holy shit go all the way back to 9gag or tumblr you 50% soy 50% bitch ass unironical SJW

>libshits literally can't stop shaking without censorship
my sides

In TFA, Rey is a Mary Sue because she is instantly liked, trusted and put on a pedestal by everyone she meets.

Han Solo wants her on his crew and trusts her enough to work on the Falcon. Chewbacca watches over her and rips off Unkar's arm to protect her, who also wants her for inexplicable reasons. Maz is willing to give her a lightsaber, and not just any lightsaber, but the Legacy lightsaber of the series. Finn loves her and his sole motivation in rescuing her is that he loves her. The major villains of the movie want her. Princess Leia hugs her and not Chewbacca when Han Solo dies, and personally tells her that the Force is with her. She inherits the Millennium Falcon, Chewbacca, and R2-D2 when one of the three most beloved characters in the franchise is killed off. The primary villain of the movie, Kylo Ren, obsesses over her when she is his prisoner and is the first person in the movie to take his mask off to. Absolutely every single thing is handed to her and her competence and personality are never questioned in any way, shape or form by anyone in the movie.

This is what makes a Mary Sue. Not the fact that she has all of these amazing powers and abilities without even trying or without having been trained, but the fact that absolutely everyone she meets instantly likes and trusts her. This is the true mark of a Mary Sue, and it is due to an inability of a writer to create a compelling character. A Mary Sue will always be a stand-in for how the writer wants the fictional characters to react to them personally.

None of this can be refuted. She is a Mary Sue, and it isn't because she has powers and is a woman. It's because she is horribly written and to defend her is to defend bad writing.

You know what cucksucker? Go ignite a blowtorch and give it a couple of swings. It is just like a piece of wood! Nothing will happen.

mary sue

India has a shitload of scavenging urchins. I am sure they beat up mobs of adult men everyday and can pilot F-22 with closed eyes.
Your flailing is as pathetic as the porgressive writing of the Star Quotas.

Star Trek fans would write stories and submit them to a fan-fiction magazine in the 70s. this magazine stopped accepting stories of a certain type
>pic related
young character, typically female, who has all the skills and powers that a person of such a young age (typically ~17 yrs old/teen/young adult) would never have realistically: good at martial arts/combat, physics, math, literature, knowledge of machines/engineering, etc. basically an overpowered character that will never be defeated or experience any conflict that could bring the character to a stop potentially, also experiencing no growth as a character because how can an ubermensch grow?

lol, do you even google?

>Ad hominem
And you still haven't disproved his argument. I'm an optimist however and don't believe someone so stupid or lacking self awareness exists so I'm going to assume you're trolling everybody.

Why does her face always have some kind of "I'm taking a shit" expression?

Facial representation of the quality of her character

nice spelling on that pic

>character development
Yes, let's make our character a super powerful being. That'll make for compelling story. Why didn't they get Kylo and Rey together romantically and then have her turn evil and Kylo turn lightside? I dunno. That'd be more compelling than the whole mary-sue-no-one-can-stop-me-bs character that we have. Seriously, name one time she ever is in any real danger of being killed.

Im curious, what do you think the point of asking the question "can you name something Rey does badly?" Are you too stupid to understand that the entire point of that question is to show people that like the character that she has little to no points of growth? Imagine being so fucking stupid that you can't tell who is arguing for and against the quality of a character.

Why's she leaning back like? Who did the choreography?

>ad hominem
El retardo.