Rian Johnson Says the Goal of ‘The Last Jedi’ Was “Never to Divide or Make People Upset”

I HURT MYSELF TODAY

Other urls found in this thread:

inverse.com/article/39372-star-wars-the-last-jedi-spoilers-biggest-twists-leia-kylo-luke
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

WELL YOU FUCKING HAVE DONE

if you want to make enemies, try to change something

I still dont know how can you write a scrip without any backstroy in it or plot. But its from burger to burgers soo....not much is required.

Well after this Disney will never take risks again.

Today: Depression
Tomorrow: Acceptance

and he didn't its universally hated.

>backstory makes a good script
to be fair in general a good story shouldn't need backstory, backstory is often a bad thing.

this the 8th movie in a series though so the backstory already exists.

>kills of Luke in the most pathetic way
>makes a shitty movie with not even a half decent story or any story for that matter
JUST

Yea....a "X" movie from franchise doesn't need a good backstory....

If you think so then enjoy.

he died as he lived

>I JUST WANTED TO MAKE ART!!!!!!!

What was the risk? Making SJW propaganda?

>Was “Never to Divide or Make People Upset”
If you didn't want to do that, then you shouldn't have turned Luke Skywalker into a person that would have attempted to kill his only nephew because he felt the Dark Side in him, even though he literally turned Darth fucking Vader to the Light Side out of familial love.

>specifically its rebuffing expectations in favor of charting new territory.

FAKE NEWS
STRAW MAN
BULLSHIT

FUCK YOU ADAM CHITWOOD

Honestly I just don't believe him. How did he think he could make the film he was making without seriously pissing off people who love Luke Skywalker?

they shat out a marvel flick what risk do you mean

>"You ever hear of the tragedy of George Lucas the creator?"
>"No."
>"I thought not. It's not a story Disney would tell you. Its a Lucas Films legend. George Lucas was so powerful and so wise he could use his powers to create a film franchise that would come to life. He had such a knowledge of his creation, he could even keep it from dying."
>"He could actually save films from death?"
>"The powers of George Lucas are a pathway to abilities some consider to be unnatural."
>"What happened to him?"
>"He became so powerful, the only thing he was afraid of, was losing his franchise. Which...eventually of course he did. Unfortunately he taught his apprentice everything he knew, and then she betrayed hm in his sleep. Ironic, he could save others from death, but not himself."
He was a good friend.

Rian killed the trilogy.

almost everyone is dead. so what motivation is left for Rey to confront Kylo?

You didn't make a movie for people to hate it? What a surprise.

>we killed off all the old cast so that the new cast could shine
Hah, shame they're all bland and shitty

>this the 8th movie in a series though so the backstory already exists.
Except for the characters who were introduced only in the previous movie after a 30 year in-universe timeskip, and then promptly killed in this one.

is anyone actually upset or divided by it?

other than hardcore star wars nerds and people that read clickbait all day with a default setting of being upset by everything.

it's just a fucking space movie, with kids as it's main audience.

Tell that to my upset manchild of a Father you fucking cuck!

>Never to Divide or Make People Upset
yeah I guess that is why Disney is trying it´s hardest to kill of all white men in the franchise and replace them with Marie Sue strong wyman

and most of the first order and resistance were killed and their ships blown up.

so now it is rey, chewie, finn the human, and poe in the mellenium falcon. while the first order is kylo, hugs, and a star destroyer.

>This movie took risks

It was capeshit in space brought to you by the writer of timeless classics such a Looper, Brick and errrr that BB episode that people pretend to live

Just hire somebody competent and tone down the poor humor

well he's correct, we all seem pretty unanimous in our hatred of it

Looper wans't bad.

>goal was to not divide people or make them upset
>divided people and made them upset
I guess he should consider himself a failure at life then.

Luke, I have ever told you that you look like your father?
He was a child murderer

>each and every one of Rian Johnson's decisions is firmly rooted in furthering development of the characters and themes from TFA

Lmao, are these niggas serious? He literally bulldozed everything TFA set up.

Nice meme.

>that feeling when you're not gonna make your own trilogy

What risk? It was basically ESB with some ROTJ elements through the Marvel prism.

you know what movie also took risks and to many people fell flat on its face? Batman v Superman, which this is increasingly starting to resemble

>My favourite character is Luke Skywalker. He was my hero.
t. Rian johnson

you should be all glad that the ubongo or whats his name monkey nigger got shat on also
it can always be worse anons

It's a good movie. Literally the only people who hate it are the retards who devoted the last 2 years of their lives obsessing over their embarrassing fanfiction theories about Snoke and Rey's parents. Rian is based as fuck for destroying all that retardation in favor of just telling a story like a proper filmmaker rather than a marketing exec.

>He was a good friend.

haha yeah I know right

I just love my

reddit spacing

>turns his childhood hero into a child murderer

What did Rian mean by this? No, seriously. What did he fucking mean by this?

wrong

Batman v Superman was an incoherent mess on its own merits though

TLJ is a coherent movie that's a little overlong but clearly presents its themes and ideas unlike BVS

Wrong

hi Rian

I'm not glad. An ex-stormtrooper character should have been kino.

pottery comes full circle

You should've watched the movie. Luke is not a child murderer.

Do you think maybe Rian will kill himself soon?

The only way this makes sense is if he has a love-hate relationship with Star Wars and wanted to deconstruct it.
However while Rian made TLJ, Chris Avellone who also had a love-hate relationship with Star Wars made KotOR 2. He is either a complete hack or is just a lying piece of shit who has no love/knowledge of Star Wars and its fandom.

The most crazy thing is that they ditched George Lucas script to make this instead. It's not like George gave them the franchise and told them to deal with it without any help. These guys are criminals.

t. Rian

underrated post

>lying piece of shit who has no love/knowledge of Star Wars
ding ding ding

>He is either a complete hack or is just a lying piece of shit who has no love/knowledge of Star Wars and its fandom.

He made Looper and the fly episode of Breaking Bad, so I'd say hack.

i spent the last two years sobering up, getting employed and starting a family and i still hate it

Especially since Mark Hamill flat out told him that he fundamentally disagreed with what he did with Luke. He had to know it was coming.

This. They will se that TFA did better and assume that is what we want. I like TLJ in general despite disagreeing with some of the direction because at least it has a direction. Expect IX to suck hard after Disney decides to "play it safe" by copying verbatim the plot of VI.

Can you seriously, with a straight face, say that BB-8 driving a fucking AT-ST wasn't dumb as hell? That warping a ship into another, destroying everything nearby doesn't retroactively fuck up every space battle ever? That Leia being established as force-sensitive, but explicitly not on the path of Jedi can wake up from a concussion in the vacuum of space and then will herself back to the ship isn't a gross contradiction of established character?

well, it certainly wasn't good.

WELL GOOD FUCKING JOB THERE, EH, GENIUS!

TFA > TLJ.

Both are shit, of course, but TFA is less offensive shit.

>Well after this Disney will never take risks again.

You mean taking the risk of making Episode 8 actually Episode 7.5? Thank god

He never tried to kill his nephew. Did you even pay attention to the movie?

He went into the room to read his nephiews thoughts. While doing so he detected a dark presence, snoke. So he drew his light saber because he thought snoke was physicly there and possibly going to attack. But in a moment he realized snoke was not there, but it was too late. Ben was awake.

THEN WHY DO YOU KILL ACKBAR, YOU STUPID FUCK?

I didn't see any risk

DEATH STAR 4 EMPEROR KYLO GET HYPE

All those moments will be lost, like tears in rain.

Rian was never a big fan of the original trilogy. He mostly came from the EU,and the games like kotor, and kotor 2 that he played extensivly.

Which explains his perspective. In the games the Jedi often are darker or more grey. Unlike the original trilogy.

"astro turf a soft-retcon for me!"
"right away ma'am, sorry for having a penis. ill be sure to be more ashamed and mad at myself in the future"

The fucking state of Sup Forums poster.
You have to go back..

But KotOR 1 is literally a remake of the OT and KotOR 2, while a deconstruction, allows for multiple points of view on the subject.

So were back to him being a hack.

Wrong. The first order has hundreds of stardestroyers and a massive fleet plus the supremacy is likely salvageable as only one of the wings was taken out.

I know right?

this

the movie felt like a finale

>Luke, did I ever tell you about the most powerful force-user ever, Snoke?

>It's a good movie

stopped reading there

TLJ is objectively better than Justice Legue. Most of the negative reviews are people sad that luke is now a flawed character.

>this blatant shilling

This is the new Gwen Stacy

How will the mouse punish Rian Johnson for his failure?

lel

He will mysteriously OD with 3 bullets in the head.

... he literally says that during the movie.

I only have a problem with the first two points, and the bb8 one was just unecessary humor, so I forgive it.

Honestly the only thing I can not get over is the relatavistic kill shot. That just kills the cannon. Maby they will hand wave in the comics and off hand mention that the FO had their shields down to redirect power to propulsion or some shit. And that it wasn't light speed, but rather just a head on Collison between two large ships going maximum sublight.

>He is either a complete hack or is just a lying piece of shit who has no love/knowledge of Star Wars and its fandom.
>either

>So he drew his light saber because he thought snoke was physicly there and possibly going to attack
At no point is this implied, nor does it align with the "I felt shame" thing he says seconds later after revealing the truth.

>While doing so he detected a dark presence, snoke. So he drew his light saber because he thought snoke was physicly there and possibly going to attack
Then why did he say he was ashamed, shill?

It says he felt a dark presence and he reacted by drawing his lightsabre.

He felt ashamed because he realized he made a mistake. His spider senses misled him.

Then why does every single news/critic site, even ones praising the Last Jedi, describe that scene as Luke 'contemplating killing his nephew'?

>example: inverse.com/article/39372-star-wars-the-last-jedi-spoilers-biggest-twists-leia-kylo-luke

>Luke tosses his lightsaber over his shoulder
>Luke milks and drinks from a disgusting animal
>Luke quips
>Luke is beaten and lectured by Mary Sue
>Luke never leaves that stupid irish island
>Luke dies for no reason
You're telling me this Rian Soy Johnson is a Star Wars fan?

Also snoke had been manipulating Kylo with the same sort of link he made between Kylo and rey. And just like luke felt Kylo's presence when he blew apart the hut to find rey and Kylo touching hands, he had felt snoke presence that night. He assumed snoke was the because that is probrably the first time he encountered that sort of force power.

The Coven of Witches is trying to pin it on Rian, don't believe them! Kathleen Kunt Kennedy is to blame

I am not in tune with the minds of idiots.

Obi-Wan: Luke, did I ever tell you about Snoke?

Luke: No, who is that?

Obi-Wan: Who is who?

Luke: Snoke.

Obi-Wan: Who's that?

Imagine being this terrible at interpreting marvelshit.

Good Rian good, now commit sudoku and I might forgive you. Definitely will if you take Kathleen with you.

That doesn't fit with his language. A "fleeting moment of weakness" where he draws his light saber while staring at his sleeping nephew, with no visual cues to show that he's reacting to something else, is clearly meant to show antagonism towards his nephew. If it isn't, it means the scene is a shockingly terrible depiction of the director's intent. I suppose that is better than the alternative, but I don't see evidence to believe your theory. I'd have to watch it again, but damn, I really do not want to do that.

I wonder if he realizes that the direction he took luke in is probably the least of this film's problems. It's a classic swerve to say, "Oh well some people are going to take issues with the way some arcs are steered." Without realizing a large backlash is how poorly your movie is structured, how literally two fists up your asshole the jokes and puns are, the ridiculous Holdo plot, a character you can't fuck up the backstory because this is her first appearance, etc etc. Whenever someone brings these points up it's always, "Wow fanboy series didn't go your way huh?!"