Movies you love that a lot of people hate

Bonus points for defending from common criticisms.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=P1VGsL1tz9A
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

apart 20 minutes prodigium monster universe part, cringe humor and dialogues - it's good
doesn't follow on cheap nostalgia trend and JUST meme-man,
stays down-to-earth (apart mummy powers) with realism, isn't cartoonish "indiana jones" ripoff, keeps more gothic style
refreshing long forgotten "seductive mummy" literature tropes
great blend of cgi and special effects, wont as feel dated as mostly new movies
finally mummy is back in england! (only hammer fans will understand)

Because I have a soul.

Wasn't going to, changed my mind.

> It's too long and doesn't need to be

What movie needs to be any length of time? I think what this criticism really takes issue with is how breathy the movie is. There's long pauses between sparse dialogue, this is entirely purposeful. The pacing is the way it is to better convey that The Neon Demon is a modern day Fairy Tale through and through.

> It's not a real horror movie REEEEEEE

If a "real horror movie" is another braindead slasher flick or "Based on Real Events, definitely happened, Ghost story Part 56" then no, it's not a "real". Horror movie. But if a real horror movie can be something deeper and go further than cheap thrills, then we need more Neon Demons in the world.

Also the only people who think this are literal uncultured swine.

>It's boring
>why.jpg
>nothing happens
How do you even defend from that? People at the theater laughed during the screening, if I remember correctly it was even during Abby's mirror scene "how does it feel to be the sun", I blame Marvel's quip-infested movies.

> I blame Marvel's quip-infested movies.

The mass production and mediocrity of most Superhero films might have caused a sort of conditioning effect. But if it does it's minor. People still watch new "different" movies. the Neon Demons, VVitches, It Comes at Nights.

> How do you even defend from that? People at the theater laughed during the screening,

I wish I had knew what interview it was, but Refn (director) said he was fine with people laughing, as long as they got something out of it.

And that's a major problem, I think. kids who've grown up on "easy" media, Marvel movies and such are gonna have a harder time trying to get into more challenging media. That might just be me doing a little fear mongering though honestly.

I'm not sure how to engage people who think that "nothing happened" in a movie where nothing exploded.

keep fighting the good fight

This movie bleeds style. One of the most visually impressive I've ever seen.

The only thing that makes me want to beat someone's head in with a brick more than "b-b-but WHITEWASHING" are the people who honestly say, "it should have been a shot-for-shot remake of the original, then it would have been perfect!!"

Honestly I never seen anyone hate this movie apart from tumblerinas who probably didnt even watch,its far from being a masterpiece but its a decent one

especially that Major Motoko is looking like white, not asian
don't like ScarJo, can't stand her, but had no problems with her in this role

kys

It wasn't nearly as bad as people have said it was. I love to original and the problems it had, had nothing to do with her being white. I'd personally rather them cast someone like Rebecca Ferguson who looks more like the character, but Scarjo just acted TOO robotic, which is odd to say. She shouldn't have been robotic, she should have just been distant.
That along with trying too hard to combine different things from the series when they should have stuck closer to the original's story, while hinting towards different plots throughout the series for future installments. Instead we got GitS / The Laughing Man/ Individual Eleven/ hints of Innocence.
I enjoyed Bato's actor and the rest of Section 9's actors and I hope that we get to see a live action version of Innocence in the future.

I will 100% accept people that like this movie if they were day one fans of GitS and watched all the movies/ideally also read the manga.
Anyone else can immediately kill themselves.

This is pretty much my policy, if someone is experienced with the IP and knows their shit but still likes it, their opinion is perfectly valid, otherwise they aren't entitled to have an opinion on this movie and should die in a hole immediately.

Here's some criticism, and I'd love to see any defense of this movie from it.

youtube.com/watch?v=P1VGsL1tz9A

I mean, I watched the movie quite a few years back and watched the series. Just didn't watch them as they came out. But I was a few years ahead of the live action movie.
>honestly, I enjoyed Innocence more than the original simply because I like Bato as a protagonist a little more than Motoko. Not that she's not great, but in the original we got nothing about her, AND he being distant, whereas Bato is a whole completed character who's more vocal I feel can carry a movie a bit better.

I do hate the new GiTS adaptation, not because it's not a shot for shot remake, I do have problems with the Whitewashing argument on both sides, but that's besides the point.

It's not a good movie compared to the original. It's not even mediocre compared to the original. It's just bad in comparison. On it's own it might be mediocre though.

>18 min
c'mon, just put what is wrong about SarJo as Major in short.

Main characters aside, Innocence and the original are totally different movies. Innocence being more of a psychological thriller than anything.

I unironically think that this is a good film.

Nothing, this isn't about either of them as characters. This is about the movies as a whole. When compared the original is a master piece and the adaptation is at best mediocre, at worst its fucking trash that's not worth seeing.

Any particular reason why? I don't like it (like most people), but I'm genuinely interested in how people who did like it feel.

I think it does a few things better than the original movie. Different things, but I feel a little more connected to Innocence than Ghost in the Shell.
That's 100% my own opinion though. They're both incredible movies, but I'm more drawn to the sequel for some reason, can't explain it.

ah ye, as movie it was kinda meeh, but one of most common complins, was whitewashing, which actually wasn't the case

Not that user but the cinematography
The reflection of how media can twist and politicize even apolitical acts
The complete lack of postmodern sarcastic dialogue
The great action
The music
Basically all the things that makes it stand out as a superhero movie

well you're just wrong

I think the Whitewashing argument has merits, but this all comes down to personal opinion and politics, so it makes sense that most people on either side can't understand the other.

> The reflection of how media can twist and politicize even apolitical acts

There's no such thing as apolitical. This might be how the director feels about the world though, it's not an uncommon idea in North America at least.

Not him, same guy as But I truly enjoy BvS. I really enjoy comic book adaptations and I feel like this was a very good variation of the classic DC characters. I love Alex Ross' "Peace on Earth" series and this version of Superman takes a lot of inspiration from that run, granted, it's still a variation of it just like how this Batman is a variation of Frank Miller's "Dark Knight Returns"
Luthor was completely different than the comic book counterpart and at first I was a little weird about it, but the second viewing I grew more okay with it. He fits into this world that Snyder built and I feel like a "Smartest man on the planet, who's a billionaire, cured cancer, becomes president, wears a mech suit, ect." just wouldn't have fit into the world that was being created. I personally think that the was that Luthor ended up at the end of the film was badly handled, because I feel like the public shouldn't have known about his actions, but that just me.

Well the point is that Superman was trying to just "do the right thing" and people are either turning him into a rogue element in international affairs or turning him into a messiah figure and I thought that examination is something more interesting than what typically happens in superhero movies

Like in Supes' mind it's not political to save someone from a flood, overturned tanker, a failed nasa project or a burning building, but the media is trying to slap a label on him

only 2 thing i don't like/get about BvS
1. why noble superheroes start fighting without discussing it before?
war is when diplomacy fails, but here was no diplomacy at all
2. videogame-tier CGI shitfest fight at end. repetitive, literally like videogame boss fight
>do this, that , this, repeat, repeat, finish him
apart these 2 flaws it was ok for me

>why noble superheroes start fighting without discussing it before
Did you ignore all three main characters' motivational explanations the twelve times they gave them throughout the movie?

Thank you. Superman and Batman are miles above the typical Super Hero trope and I seriously hate how Justice League was handled. It needed to be more like God Among Men and we just got a marvel movie.

Because it actually tries to do something interesting with cape heroes (and yes, this is sadly almost entirely ruined with the ending fight). Batman is actually creepy in this, torturing people and lurking in dark corners. Superman has to come to terms with what he is, he looks like a human, but he isn't one. He could enslave the entire Earth in a day's work if he chose to do so. All of this isn't done perfectly in the film, for sure, but that these things are explored at all is interesting enough.

Bruce's motivation was 100% rational. He's been a hero for 20+ years fighting off street level criminals and then he personally sees a being who could wipe off humanity from the face of the Earth. As Alfred said, he felt helpless and he focused his mission to stop that being, at whatever cost necessary. Nothing else mattered. Common criminals were dirt to him and he brushed them aside because they were getting in his way. He was ruthless, calculating, brutal, and exactly how Batman would act when seeing the Superman for the first time on Earth. BvS is a great character analysis on both Superman and Batman when it comes to their internal motivations, and Snyder was the perfect person to bring it to the big screen.

That being said, I agree with and the ending fight felt a bit too "superhero-y" to me. It served a purpose and it made sense for the story, but I didn't like the smoke, darkness, and heat vision everywhere.

They fight because there is nothing else left for them to do. The world in BvS has gone mad: god(s) descended on earth, but the salvation didn't come. Instead suffering and destruction followed them. Bruce Wayne himself is forced to abandon his principles, because in the face of the death of his disciple and all of the people who died in Wayne Tower, they looked childish and naive. One of the most influental people on this scene is barely an adult, a mad genius with too much money for his own good, who instead of being stopped by society, thrives in its profit-driven system. Clark is seen as a god, but he is neither omnisciend nor omnipotent, he can't save everyone and he doesn't necessarily want to either. He just a guy who happens to have supernatural powers from our perspective, but from his point of view, he's a normal person, who is now expected by millions of people to be their savior.

I thought it was good, but to me Evil Dead is that perfect mix of horror, schlock and surreal imagery. Evil Dead remake was straight horror, and a very good one as such, but it didn't "feel" like Evil Dead to me, if that makes any sense. But yeah, didn't hate it or dislike it like I thought I would

I think the the Dredd remake is a pretty underrated Action movie.

Beautifully shot and with surprisingly good acting for what it is. I think what killed it was the hype from the reviews that came out after it first screened at some festival, talking it up as the "holy grail" of horror that gorehounds are always looking for

the real problem it's that it has nothing to do with GitS saga, except for the look
"le government is evil" is the farthest thing you can fin from GitS saga
GitS is alla bout the humanity and future existence, this movie is all about "hwo was i? government erased my past"
fuck that shit

user, it's plot it's literally half GitS 95 anime movie and half 87 Robocop...

This. Great character study combined with amazing visuals.

even lynch don't like it but i don't care il love it.

If you haven't seen this change that.

this. in fact, i believe it is the best superhero movie ever