Is Hal Jordan the only superhero of average intelligence?

Is Hal Jordan the only superhero of average intelligence?

I hate that they imply that Hal isn't a good guy. I hate that they booted him out within the first 10 issues. Fuck the new 52.
reeee

This is one of the worst comics I've ever read and there's quite a bit of competition in that field.

>average
user, I love Hal to but you're giving him too much credit

>Batman
>laughing

Inb4after REEE REEE REEE

I am laughing at batman laughing.

That doesn't really imply that Hal is not a good guy. What that scene actually tells us is how Hal sees himself, which isn't by any means an objective truth. Hal has quite many issues with his sense of self-worth and doesn't really think very highly of himself, the poor sweet child.

Unless its related to being a fighter pilot or a green lantern Hal is basically on the wrong side of the bell curve.

Kenan Kong is real fucking dumb. Literally opened the door to Hell twice.

A challenger appears

Hal is a fucking idiot

Taken out of context, he didnt know about the yellow weakness at that point of time. Every Leaguer is retarded as shown by Injustice

>Literally opened the door to Hell twice.

What? How?

With some magic artifacts that open a hell door. Lex Luthor had them he wanted him to open a door so he could siphon power off a Hell Skeleton Superman that was the manifestation of Kong Kenan taking the easy way to superpower instead of working for it.

The term genius is thrown around a lot in comics so it's pretty hard to tell.

I'm not sure whether Deadpool could be considered average or if completely retarded would be more accurate.

This

Deadpool can be extraordinarily witty, which is usually a sign of intelligence.

He's also insane, so that makes him effectively idiotic.
Now Speedball, there's a monumental moron if ever there was one.

>average

I've never read anything with novas in it. Are they marvel lanterns or something?

both cosmic corps, alien members underused, the first ones died and have a bunch of fags for fans, their replacements is way better
they're the exact same

Comic books everybody!

There's also Drax the Destroyer.

I know cape comics love their geniuses but tons of characters are just average or at least not noted to be particularly intelligent.

Marvel has a lot of "average" intellect superheroes.
Even the "genius" intellect superheroes often are only brilliant in one respect: Cap America and Cyclops are genius tacticians, Iron-Man is a genius engineer and inventor, Bruce Banner and Hank Pym both have specialties in the field of sub-atomic research that earned them rankings in the ten smartest humans list.
Reed Richards and Dr. DOOM! are both said to be smarter in every field of study than anyone else, but Mr. Fantastic knows nothing about magic and Victor is routinely outsmarted by Richards.
Intellect is all a shell game in Marvel comics.

So is the Flash just like super hero Jesus?

Except for Moon Girl, who will neeeever ever be outsmarted. Ever

Was Hal trying to cop a feel of Wondie's ass?

>out of context
we know he can shift blame onto inanimate objects
sounds like an idiot to me

Jubilee and Rogue are dumb

Dude, do you see that wondy?

I'd want to impress her too

She already has been.
All sorts of different heroes have been constantly hitting her over the head with basic street smarts for a while now.
She even had a heart-2-heart with Ben Grimm.
But given how he never got through to Richards about the difference between being smart and doing smart I don't hold out hope that the girl genius herself is going to avoid becoming a supervillainess.

I can top that.

Half of the comics plot are the heroes beIN dumb and getting on a wtf situation and then using their special skills to overcome that situation! Even Canon geniuses like Stark, Richards, and etc. Mostly guys are just average while being super good at a give field or technique

>That time where he made a sentient Monster.

Sqwrl Grl tho.

And DC is different in that regard?
Let's exclude the Super family, Batman and LEx Luthor for a moment.

I don't think so?

>Kord: Gadget/mechanics
>Tim Drake: Detective work, computers
>Riddler: Detective work, riddles
>Lyle Norg: Biochemistry, tactics
>Terrific: Everything, but mostly computers?
>Brainiacs: Everything

Can't think of any other obvious geniuses but there's at least a little bit of diversity in that area. I checked the wiki but it listed Roy Harper as a genius and that's not happening.

He's a genius when it comes to trickshots and shit. I dunno if this was just 90s roy but when he was Arsenal he did all kinds of crazy shit

I guess that's a thing, but the wiki lists pretty much half of DC's characters as geniuses so it's still kind of hard to tell who should count.

Though I guess that might be because there's power inflation in the universe so that everyone has to be a genius in their field to be able to compete with each other.

I'll admit, I giggled

Santo is happy with himself though

And all just to avoid having to reply to Carol proposing to him!

How smart is Cable supposed to be

I can't tell if he's another 'genius', above average or if he's just average and has forced himself to adapt due to his shit sandwich of a life

Actually, are any Lanterns genius level? Sure you got ones like John and Sinestro I guess who are smart cookies but are there any genius-level, Batman-tier smart lanterns?

I get that he doesnt want Carol to marry GL but Hal but goddamn. Might as well post the whole thing.

He didn't know

Top of my head that could be genius level lanterns are Salaak, Kilowog and Stel

>YOU WERE TOUCHING MY LASSO
>IT MAKES YOU TELL THE TRUTH

Explaining the joke directly to my face sure makes it funnier Geoff!

>do not create a giant hand
>do not imagine an axe chopping it down
>do not attempt to incinerate the thing with a massive will powered blast.

>instead try to make a two foot wide whole through it by flying into the sign.

He's an idiot, user.

Rogue

Was that really supposed to be a joke? Came across as depressing more than anything.

Jesus Christ, Hal. It's not even the yellow...

Holy fuck

Is Hal just average, or has he taken too many blows to the head?

RIP Chiller-Diller.

brain damage from spending too much time as a pilot in low-oxygen enviroments

He's done alot of genius stuff back in the silver age.

F

... Where do I join this Green Lantern Fan Club? 'Cause I want to touch Hal, too.

>Booted him out
What? He never left JL.

Hell, even when Red Lanterns and Simon Baz was the only GL supposed to.be allowed in sector 2814, Hal was still around doing JL shit and being in GA comics.

It was fucking the beginning of N52.
Literally meant to be designed for new readers.

I should really storytime the Green Lantern/Green Arrow team up comics someday.

if he wasn't of average intelligence now he is

Why is Exilir just hanging around naked?

Sort of the same thing, they are a bunch of aliens from a planet that took it upon themselves to police space but suck at doing a whole lot. They are not sponsored by any highly evolved aliens like the guardians and are kind of a low level power in the space part of Marvel.

Almost any big bad murders hundreds of them. And the big space empires rip through them all if they ever get out of line. Gladiator and Xenith just run through all of them without ever having any trouble. Black Bolt fucked up tons of them too, the Kree do not even consider them a threat.

They are all mid to low level flying bricks so most space things have little trouble killing them.

Roy's listed as genius because Scott Lobdell tried to to turn Roy into a super-scientist in Red Hood and the Outlaws responsible for hacking any kind of tech the team finds, including alien, and creating all kinds of robots and shit.

It was ridiculous.

Isn't a lot of this becuase Hal just a normal guy on a team filled with higher intelligence aliens, supergeniuses, scientists, and inventors?

Atom, Flash, Batman, Green Arrow, Hawkman, Cyborg, the other Earth men of the team are generally smarter than average and built themselves up to their superhero statuses. Superman is super intelligent, same with Martian Manhunter,

Hal, Plastic Man, Captain Atom, and the Ronnie side of Firestorm are the ordinary guys with powers,

Fuck you. Before the movie came out he was a master tactician.

>Their replacement is better
Nice bait, you almost had me.

Do you have the pages from "The Sign"? Because that is up there in the dumb things Hal has done

He was an intern at a science lab, somehow, but I'm pretty sure he's dumber than his cat.

He was a lot less dumb in New Warriors v1, though.

>I don't hold out hope that the girl genius herself is going to avoid becoming a supervillainess.
She'd be way better as a villain and they practically write her as one already, given her motivations and arrogance.

It's not new to the movie. He was also the big, dumb guy during Infinity Watch. He actually ate an Infinity Gem.

He was supposed to be the average 15 year old. But Marvel artists at the time, especially with New Warriors could not draw anyone looking any younger than mid 30's at best.

All the New Warriors of the early 90's were 15 or 16, but looked like everyone else.

But readers and some writers seeing what appears to be an adult acting like a little kid they assume he is just some kind of total retard and continued writing him like that.

Its called Emerald Dawn and yeah I have it. I'll do the last few pages leading up to it.

I hated his 52 personality. Hal's flawed, but he's not a dick.

>First panel: Hal's hand is over the lasso, but must have been close enough to be basically on Wonderwoman's ass
>Second panel: His hand has managed to get UNDER the lasso

That's a hell of a fucking grope he just pulled off.

I mean he was blinded with rage that made him act irrationally and he didnt know how to make constructs at this this time but yeah why would he fly headfirst on a sign, he didnt even know that it gave him shields.

Jim Lee likely had quite a bit of input into how that comic was written, seeing as that issue reads like something out of his X-Men series or WildCATs honestly; everyone is an asshole and nobody likes the heroes themselves.

It's been a while since I've read it, but didn't Robbie look older when he transformed into Speedball? I remember a bit from one of the early issues where he revealed that he was a superhero to his parents and he transformed from a kid into Speedball.

I really should read that run again.

Isn't he stinking drunk in The Sign?

Because he literally has the physique of a shining golden god?

Not a particularly big fan of his writing either, but having both read a lot of his stuff and a lot of Jim Lee's stuff, nu52 JLA's first few issues reads a shitload like everything Jim Lee has ever written.

This was after he landed his big important person job at DC mind you, and he finally had some pull and say-so at something (or anything, really) for the first time in ages; DC also pushed a lot of his Wildstorm characters during that beginning too despite nobody really giving a shit about them at the time, which I'm guessing is because of Lee as well.

He was sober but this was the day after the accident so he's still groggy.

He got a little more buff, and I think slightly taller.

But he was still called toothpick and was the wimpy skinny guy of the team.

I wonder what Chiller Diller's last thoughts as a sentient being were before GL melted his fucking head in order to get out of an awkward social situation.

>It's a "Hal Jordan creates a sentient being and then murders it in cold blood"- episode

Bump for underrated thread