Star Wars: Return of the Jedi was THE worst film

Well, do they have a point Sup Forums?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=rgyitSlMtMY
twitter.com/AnonBabble

CALL THEM RACIST TOO GOY, THIS ISNT ENOUGH EVEN HAMILL HATES LUKE, YOU NEED TO CALL THEM RACISSSST TOO

Yes. It's widely known (and accepted) that ROTJ was the worst of the original trilogy.

I don't get it.

>Return of the Jedi

These people think they're being clever and it pisses me off. There's nothing worse than when an ignorant person inexplicably speaks with authority on something.

That sounds like Sup Forums

But a vocal minority of its fanbase refuses to move on, trudging along in a feeble attempt to manufacture their perfect individual version of Star Wars for the satisfaction of their wet dreams. The Force Awakens may have been dangerous because it reinforced reminders of the old, but the backlash was strong, even though it utilized structural similarities and plot developments for the sake of mystery-box subversion. Many viewers hated Abrams’ film because it exposed their reverence and mythologization of the original trilogy to an absurd degree and refracted it back in the characters’ personalities. Cries and whimpers of “It’s the same thing as the original Star Wars!!” might as well be re-worded into “I didn’t like it because it gave me exactly what I’ve been worshipping for the last thirty years!!”.
While The Force Awakens, in a sense, weakened those who have never moved on from the original trilogy, The Last Jedi leaves them in the blood-red dust. It soars off into the galaxy with a fresh twinkle in its eye and a comical, sly reverence for Star Wars itself and not the version so many people have fabricated in their fantasies. The characters have been freed from their ties to Original Trilogy characters, and while they will always carry them within their hearts. Johnson showcases that no progression can be unearthed without change, and change is the opposite of stagnantly committing to ancient fandom favorites just because that’s how they’re remembered. The truth hurts for the personalities in The Last Jedi and the audience observing it play out across the screen; they have realized their stories are just that. It’s what you take away from them, and where you go from there that matters. This gargantuan space-opera train is finally back to square one, freed from the constraints of its sickening fanbase and bursting into hyperspace towards the future. Time to let go.

Except there was piles of lore explaing everything before Disney trashed it

Desperate to defend a shitty written movie by nitpicking small issues to prove how the critics are dumbass but they are the smart ones for defending a corporate made movie that has no substance and you'll spend money on the latest cute alien plush they create cause their that fucking gullible
THESE FUCKING RETARDS

the difference is that empire was the second chapter with a planned finale of one persons vision that he started in a new hope.
tlj is the middle of some unholy amalgam of fanfiction writers accompanied by board members breathing down their necks

1. Studying the force to become a Jedi makes
sense. It's not a betrayal but an investment into a possibly valuable resource.
2. It's called Greek drama, hun. And sets up the story for part 3.
3. The Cloud CIty part isn't pointless at all, it makes Luke abandon his training and rush to his friends.
4. Nobody has a problem with non-white people in Star Wars. People have a problem with Rebels being mostly other than white males and the villains all white males. And possibly with forcing an interracial romance on us to "educate us".
5. Boba Fett was pretty based, tbqh. He did his job.
6. Nope, the humor was great and non-cringey.
7. He was still alive at the end of ESB, saving his backstory for the last part.

In short: one false equivalency after another, Geek Girls can't into logic and structured argument.

"Uuuuugh that part was SO BAD!!! They wasted so much time on a stupid comedy scene where the Falcon is in some dumb worm's mouth! It doesn't effect the plot at all, it's unrealistic that there's air and bat-monsters in a stomach and we never even find out the worm's backstory!"

"This guy Lando shows up in the third act who we never even heard of before and Han acts like he's all important - WTF!? They were supposed to tell us about that Jabba guy!"

"Obi-Wan said The Force and Jedi were all about Knights and Arthurian-type stuff, but now the Stupid Puppet has Luke doing all kinds of Asian Buddha meditation shit - goddamn SJWs!!"

Luke goes into a magic tree and fights Vader but it's like a dream? BULLSHIT! There were no dreams or visions in the first one - Kasdan has no respect for the established aesthetic!"

Goes to show that people don't understand that the OT was a space fairy tale. Sure, you can ditch that but you will repel those who are attracted to space fairy tales. Just because you call it Star Wars and it has lightsabers, it's not what people want.

>Time to let go
Like you and the rest of those retards will stick long to watch and buy anything Star Wars when the next trendy thing comes along and you hop on it like a bitch in heat.
That's what you guys are, Disney corporations masochistic little bitch

What's her point? RotJ is universally hated

That's clearly copypasta from some review sucking off TLJ, generic "new is better fuck the old fans" shit I've seen in half of them.

The space worm subplot demonstrates the dangers of space travel. It does not boost the mainplot but helps set stage/helps world-building.

No, they were not supposed to tell us about the Jabba guy. They were supposed to show us more about the galaxy and add facets to, in this case, han.

Even in ANH Jedis were a mix of knighthood and asian thought. It's an pretty based combo.

You're a bit mistaken in general: it's not objectionable to introduce new elements in new movies. It is to be expected. But what you must do is keep the overall theme and the characterization of the main characters, except for plausible character development/growth.

Hey, debunking fake criticism is fun!

What upsets me is that that post infers the only reason people dislike it is because they are prejudice and hate female/diversity characters, when in reality it is genuinely a severely flawed movie that doesn't do the originals justice.

The worst aspect of the internet is it's given low iq faggots like this a megaphone.

$2.50? that shit as $17 for me

To be fair, the original trilogy was like catching lightning in a bottle, and even Lucas with his prequel trilogy could not recreate the same magic.

While unfair, the directors knew what they were getting themselves into when they signed on to direct films that had a 30-40 year history.

it's strawmen layered on strawmen

but all it'll get them is more box office receipts, a bad movie and an inconsistent trilogy just won't hold up over decades. New Hope broke box office records for the time but it was the long game that really made this franchise one of the biggest pop cultural movements in history, if not the biggest

they shit the bed. again. phantom menace toys were filling up the discount bins within weeks, how many people have we seen so far who actually liked this as a movie say they're not that interested in the next one

And Sup Forums says the left can't meme

all these faggots whine about admiral tumblr and muh purple hair, giving the mouse ammo to declare they have been set upon by the alt right.

Should just say its a shit movie with characters thst behave like complete idiots

>> those dice tho

I'm not going to bother with most of those because they're nitpicky as fuck. The Boba Fett one doesn't even make sense since he was never built up in the advertising for TWO films to be a "big deal." He just happened to become a fan favourite after the fact. The Emperor/Snoke comparison is the most laughable though and just proves how fucking retarded people that post shit like this are. Yes Snoke = Emperor in terms of what we learn about them over the two films, the big difference is that we get another film with a satisfying pay-off to the Emperor's plot line AND he doesn't need to be explained heavily because we don't already know who came before him. The whole reason Snoke doesn't get away with being written the same way is because he's filling the Emperor's old shoes, only we don't get told where/how he found those shoes or why he wasn't always wearing the fucking shoes. It's not like the Empire is Apple and they have planned obsolescence.

>oh you just bought the iEmperor 66?
>well let me tell you about the new iEmperor 66S that's just come out!

It's like house party conversations, but they follow you everywhere noooooow

That whole copypasta is so fucking confusing I don't even know what it's trying to say. I thought at first the point was "bigots reacted like this back in the 1980s too and they were proved wrong!" But that makes absolutely zero sense. Everyone who grew up back then loved ESB, and it came about in a fundamentally different media and political environment. The complaints that they put in the mouth of Dumb 80s White Guy would have literally never been applied to the film, that kind of culture war mindset hadn't filtered into the public consciousness yet. Fucking christ I hate the internet now.

The weirdest part is that they're willing to metaphorically (and sometimes actually) shit on the OT, literally the only reason anyone gives a damn about star wars today, in order to prove that a hastily made, cash-grab, two hour toy commercial is a good film. It's like punching your own mother as thanks for her creating you.

are u upset honey ;)

These people are nothing more than self-aggrandizing and self-righteous iconoclasts at this point. They don't give a shit about doing anything but tearing down the past in all its shapes and forms to justify their fucking all-encompassing cult.

>giving the mouse ammo to declare they have been set upon by the alt right.
Only with retards. Hating SJWs is mainstream now, especially on the nose Tumblr self-inserts.

Wow, it's almost like TLJ defenders aren't fans of the originals.

>Total let down after all that build up

Boba Fett was never "built up", which is part of the reason he was so cool to begin with.

Leia was in control of a ship at the very beginning of A New Hope.

Luke was their nephew, his "caretakers" from A New Hope were never his parents.

And what about the fact that James Earl Jones was the voice of Darth Vader to begin with? I guess that is also just more "tokenism"?

Darth Vader had sparse dialogue, not one-liner's, there's a difference.

And what plot holes exactly?

The Emperor not having a back story is not a plot hole.

Who is this trash-faggot millenial garbage?

hahaha he did the ol reddit switcheroo

Your move bigots

I agree with the other stuff, but Boba got his big reveal in the Christmas Special. He was then a big mail-order exclusive action figure. Kids were hyped to see him in ESB, pretty sure a lot of them were disappointed with his death in Jedi.

Does anyone have an actual newspaper or magazine article with people criticizing The Empire Strikes Back?

Everyone I talk to who actually saw it in theaters said they thought it was awesome.

These posts saying that the same criticisms were raised on ESB as TLJ seem like bullshit trying to defend the new movie.

>big reveal

The Christmas special was a joke that Lucas immediately regretted, and his "reveal" was as a cartoon character, not to mention barely anyone actually saw the Christmas Special.

It's like considering Battle For Endor a legit film that "introduced new and exciting characters", it really didn't.

Lucas killed Boba Fett off Boba Fett because he considered him primarily a background character meant as a vehicle for the "real" characters and never understood why people loved him so much to begin with.

Meanwhile, you had Captain Phasma who had toys, costumes, and tons of other merch made for out of the blue, interviews with the actor on playing the character, and JJ himself talking about how exciting it is to have such a "powerful female figure", and she gets dumped in a garbage chute and then killed off easily, despite them marketing her as some arch nemesis.

Yes, I too think a grandma flying through space and
>*teleports behind you*
>*unsheathes lightsaber*
>Heh, nothing personal kid.
Is no different from this:
youtube.com/watch?v=rgyitSlMtMY

>Lucas also said that, had he known Fett would be so popular, he would have made the character's death "more exciting."

>read a positive review

>THIS MOVIE SUCKS. YOU FUCKING SELL OUT
>+324 thumbs up

Are general audiences really this fucking stupid?

Not everything that is good has corporate greed behind it. Yes, Star Wars sells a lot of fucking toys. That doesn't mean it has any affect on the quality of the film.

Well they won't stop going to see Marvel films, so I'm inclined to say, yes, they really are that stupid.

Tons of people have already discussed why the movie sucks. If anything you are the brainlet for thinking there are no good arguments against the movie. You are also a brainlet if you genuinely think it is good. It panders to the lowest common denominator.

I think it is because the people who make these dumb posts like in the OP simply don't understand Star Wars. They don't get what made the original trilogy so beloved by everyone and so when they see a movie like TLJ which appears the exact same to them (because they cannot understand film beyond a child's level) they just don't understand the hate. They think this criticism is equally applicable because to them Star Wars is just about lightsabers, storm troopers, droids, an of course the force.

>Boba Fett was a total let down after all that build up.

I know that post is supposed to be saying that the reception of Empire and TLJ are the same. But Boba was introduced in Empire and he got his job done. He found Han, handed him to he Empire, then successfully delivered Han to Jabba. Phasma is just a stormtrooper that is taller and has a chrome uniform. She gets thrown down a garbage chute in her first movie and killed in the second movie in her first scene. Boba may have been killed by a blind man after being knocked down the sarlacc pitt but he was way more competent than Phasma.

IMG_0598
I don't understand what that image, fashioned by something called "Geek Girls", is even trying to communicate, let alone authenticate.
In 1980 there were no instagrams, or twitters, or facebook messages that could contain the opinions expressed, in order to be sarcastically dismissed.
So I can't really accept any authenticity to whatever Geek Girls is trying to project with it.

No, they ruin their own arguments when they say Luke abandon his friends. Luke wasn't an essential piece for the rebels, he went to train to be more of use with his powers.

This is perhaps the weakest bait I've ever seen. Sometimes I wonder why I ever visit this forum.

Do you mean to say empire strikes back in reference to your pick, or was the statement just separate?

Also Lando was cool even though he was black. Rey sucks, Finn is okay but he has nothing to do, rose is boring.

please tell me this is copypasta

You mean Sup Forums trashed it?

>Luke wasn't an essential piece for the rebels
Without him the death star would never have been destroyed and the rebels would have lost the war

>Lando was cool even though he was black. Rey sucks, Finn is okay but he has nothing to do, rose is boring.
This.

It's not about race or sex, it's about well-written characters who advance the plot versus poorly-written ones who don't. My problem with Finn and Rose is not that they are black and Asian respectively, but that their entire arc in this film was pointless and only served to make an overly long film even longer. Whatever potential they may have as characters is wasted. Similarly goes for Rey: it's not that she's female, it's that she's poorly written.

everyone who isn't a complete retard has been trashing it.

Do these people even know what retcon means?

the empire strikes back has a 45 minute puppet show

FUCK all of you niggers ROTJ was great

He wasn't essential at that moment, though. And by going off to train, he was making himself potentially much more valuable down the road. It wasn't selfishness that brought him to Degobah.

>RotJ
>1980
Wut.

how fucking desperate do you have to be to start trashing the originals

If there's any good point to this post its that Star Wars has always been shit. I will never say the Last Jedi is good, I would rather die.

>DISNEY™ED

Shills, brainwashed idiots or brainwashed shill idiots

Lando was cool though. Nowadays people fail to realize that diversity isn't the problem; it's "diversity", where no matter how shit the movie is the only reason people hate is because there are minorities in it. Back then directors had the bright idea of having diversity AND having good writing. Shocking.