Is “nerd culture” in decline? What characterised it? When did it begin and end?

Is “nerd culture” in decline? What characterised it? When did it begin and end?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/Kj3opk1QFTM
youtube.com/watch?v=BvMIbD-izMs
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>What characterised it?
look at your own pic

Do your own homework, teenlad.

>Is “nerd culture” in decline?
Definitely. Every superhero movie is shit and most nerdy things are being infected with SJW garbage
>What characterised it?
Normies taking over and destroying it
>When did it begin and end?
It's been really prominent this decade. It'll end once being a nerd becomes cool everywhere among everyone.

When corporations realized they could make profits out of the mindless consumerism of nerd culture so it was advertised as cool.

Nerd culture was always crap. Just a bunch of socially-retarded people who need to escape to fictional universes because they suck in the real one.

The addition of ironic consumerism to nerd culture marked its decline. Long gone are the days of autists organising their trading card collections for no reason other than because they want to... Now it isn't nerdy if you can't take a picture of it and post it to Instagram.

Not really there will always be genuine nerds. The difference is that it started out as "By nerds for nerds" and now it's "By corporations for profit". The quality of things just naturally declines when they care about money more than the product itself.

Most of what you probably consider "nerd culture" is just pop culture. Nerd culture is, by definition, counterculture. Disney Wars is not nerd culture.

It's actually growing due to things like Reddit and heavy Disney marketing (comic books and star wars).

I don't think kids are as nerdy tho. They're more in shit like memes and contrainanism than nerd culture. Millennials are the fucking problem, kids born after 2001 are fine.

Nerd culture loses its cache when the entire world gets infantilized by the... well, whoever wants it for social control.

Was this immediately spoiled on here for everyone when TFA came ouf

Big Bang Theory. I am serious.

got usurped by by the quirky normie crowd before becoming fully normie. Sorta how "nerd"-like fashion became popular in the 2000s among universities.

nerd culture is a decline in itself

Things like superheros and star wars aren't "nerd culture" anymore. They used to be but they got assimilated into pop culture. If people don't think you are a loser for liking it it can't be considered "nerd culture". Modern "nerd culture" would be stuff like anime.

Yup
Also, Han survived getting stabbed by Kylo in the same way Luke survived his fight / fall from Vader
As he was coming to, the planet weapon blew up

When the alt right decides it was for lefties only

I wish we could go back to the early 90s, when being a nerd wasn't the societal norm and being a parody of an actual man had a social consequence .

The death of consumerism, so late capitalism. It's worth mentioning bitcoin is also beginning to crash and the NASDAQ dipped.

>americans
>culture

"nerd culture" is literally just liking unpopular things. not to be confused with hipster culture which is liking unpopular things BECAUSE they are unpopular, nerds are just people who happen to like things normies are not into.

nerd culture hasn't gone anywhere, but certain things that used to be only for nerds have gone mainstream, so you are no longer a nerd for liking them.

>hipsters like unpopular things
>hipsters also liked indie rock at it's commercial height and now listen hip hop at it's commercial height
Hmmmm?

your time wasters aren't a culture really, unless you're a psycho trying to fit into something

Real nerds moved to anime. I feel sorry for you losers stuck in the west.

Why the fuck are you still posting the phone picture taken at the theater? It's been out on video for almost 2 years now. At least post a high quality screenshot.

Anime stagnated and died in the late 2000s

God I hope

No, Kyoani saved anime and now its better than ever before

Anime hasn't been any good since like 2004.

Consider Star Wars, Game of Thrones, Star Trek, Magic the Gathering, comic books and video games have been compleetly overrun recently. They are fucking over LotR next and there's nothing we can do to stop it.

youtu.be/Kj3opk1QFTM

It had a resurgence in 2006 that lasted until 2014 when it died again. It will be back.

The last jedi not only ruins all future STAR WARS movies, it also retroactively ruins the past films and makes them all look like idiots.

>A New Hope - "Sir we've worked out the final plan for the assault on the death star and it will be risky and cost many lives but it migh-" "Just Hyperspace-Ram it"

>Empire - "Sir the troops are ready for the ground assault on Hoth, walkers are ready to deploy" "Just Hyperspace-Ram the shield generator from orbit then Hyperspace-ram the rebel base. Boom. All the rebels will be dead before they can evacuate, war is over, and we never had to do a ground assault"

>Jedi - "Sir they built a new death star and it's even bigg-" "Just Hyperspace-Ram it" "But sir it's surrounded by a shield from the Endor moo-" "Just hyperspace ram the endor Moon until you take out the shield generator, Ewoks are collateral damage, then hyperspace ram the new death star"

>Phantom Menace - "Annakin you have to take out that droid controller" "Just hyperspace ram it"

>Rogue One - "We have to take down that shield generator!" "Just hyperspace ra- actually you know what were going to just hyperspace ram the death star anyway so we don't even need these stupid plans. Lets get out of here everybody."

>TFA - My god they built an even BIGGER death sta-" "Just hyperspace ram it"

From now on, in every star wars movie ever made, every single time there is a massive fleet, large base or battlestation everyone watching will be thinking. "Why don't they just hyperspace-ram it". Johnson did this to the entire star wars cinematic universe, forever, for the sake of a ten second shot that "looked cool".

Nerd culture got destroyed when it got mainstream and females used it as a vehicle to inflict their own politics.

Nowadays the outcast and nerds, this is gonna sound stupid, but flock to anime, particularly misogynistic harem moeshit anime, and alt-right politics because they want to escape normie culture. I mean that's what nerd culture has always been about, not interacting with normal people and people who have a common interest outside of normal interest and capeshit and comics and gaming is all normal.

from what i remember, the walking dead was the starting point for all this capeshit hitting the fan and getting popular

>that's what nerd culture has always been about,
Lol

That picture is fucking retarded. The shows at the top were airing at the same time as the ones on the bottom.

How are harems misogynistic when they're about worshipping the girls?

Nope. I'd say The Dark Knight was.

Like probably Spiderman 2, The Dark Knight, Harry Potter and LOTR are the foundations of modern nerdism

This is indecipherable.

>Is “nerd culture” in decline?
yes

>What characterized it?
bunch of guys doing what they like

dawn of man > when women join
rinse and repeat

Nerd culture became mainstream in 2007
Over the next decade the new 'face of nerd culture' rapidly began to decide that 90% of nerd culture was problematic and needed to change.
Now we have masculine women, tokenism run amok and the only place for the straight white male is in the villain role.

Basically nerd culture went from something for social introverts to use as an escape hatch from a reality dominated by normies to something normies use as an escape hatch from reality dominated by the fearmongering media.

this
>pffft nice magic cards faggot!
>omg look at my star wars action figures :^)
these people are terminally stupid and ignorant beyond salvation

Literacy is tough.

Nope, it's just a extremely poorly made image.

Consumerism was always cancerous anyway.

Did a nerd make fun of u're mum

what makes people my age so pathetic?
>tfw 25
>all my old school friends are either sjw or the kind of normies who pretend sjw's aren't a thing
>hate most of them and their worthless opinions on everything
>meet some 18-19 year old chad at work
>turns out to be the most interesting human i've met in 5 years
seriously what the FUCK

sure but at least people could be like
>fuck i just spent 60 bucks on a toy goddamnit i suck
>oh well
now it's
>you wouldn't spend 60 bucks to have this product?!
>you're such a looooser

>meet some 18-19 year old chad at work
>turns out to be the most interesting human i've met in 5 years
>desperately want him to ravage my boipucci
What did he mean by this?

>projecting this hard
dam sun

Nerd culture is not in decline at all
Movies and videogames are amongst the fastest growing markets, and it will remain so until another medium that is even more eye-catching comes along

Just look at the immense and sudden wake of interest there is with things like Dungeons and Dragons
We're not losing nerd culture anytime soon
Maybe when AI does everything for us people will stop caring about being intelligent and embrace laziness

> implying Star Wars was only for nerds

Star Wars was the most successful movie of its year

All Star Wars movies were ALWAYS for "normies". They were a riff on old movie serials, that were also for "normies".

Star Trek was popular in its peak, it was never "just for nerds".

Comics started to be "for nerds" only in the 80s when it moved into specialty stores and out of general public, that moved to different kinds of entertainment; before that, comics were massively popular.

Nerd culture is a myth. This shit was always for the masses

We knew he was going to die the second he signed on, it was a contractual stipulation.

why are you using a cam rip jpg when the films been out for like 2 years?

Nerd culture ended in the late 1990s. Now everyone is kind of a nerd, and also not really a nerd.

Moreover, the problem these days is that feminist liberal asstards are infiltrating and co-opting science fiction and fantasy in a huge way. They started with the more academic mediums like books and have started pivoting from there into more popular media.

Of course, they're the least self-aware people ever, and completely lacking in the kind of broad human insight one needs to tell good stories, but that doesn't matter as long as enough of their SJW friends are responsible for determining the public consensus as described by the media, right?

>When did it end

Women.

youtube.com/watch?v=BvMIbD-izMs

Or pro wrestling

You are fucking retarded.

Why the fuck did they photoshop her cameltoe into an elephant foot?

I happened to walk into a Gamestop today and it looked like an episode of RLM's The Nerd Crew. I couldn't stand it. They didn't even have the game I was looking for, so I'll order Okami HD from Amazon.

Star Wars was for nerds from the late 80's to the early 2000's.

Basically normies saw them as dumb kids films for nerds after they had reached their peak.

While young sweaty men cloistered to it.

Pic related was the 90's view of grown men and young boys who obsessed over Star Wars.

When the first movie was in cinemas, it was so popular that it stayed there for a whole year.

It was not a small movie for nerds.

everything went to shit in 2007

pic related

Nerd culture was fun between those socially retarded people though, (aka this entire site you're shitting up you faggot)
It now pleases noone

the funny thing is reddit and Sup Forums are exactly the same

i remember being made fun of for liking star wars, even my friends made fun of me
now i'm being made fun of for liking the wrong kind of star wars. this is hell.

you just need to know sweet bro and hella jeff and adorno, that's like basic shit

No, really, are you fucking retarded and/or illiterate?

Can you read what I just wrote you halfwit cunt?

>from the late 80's to the early 2000's.

Here's a fact you stupid piece of shit - 1977 was not in the late 80's.

You should kys.

Related to this topic, Marvel cancelled all their diversity comic books with black/lgbt/latino characters yesterday because nobody was buying them lmao

...and there's our answer.

Welcome to cultural appropriation. The same soyboys that whine about post malone literally make their living pretending to be us, getting hired as the media that represents us, then trying to turn us into their personal armies for bizarre crusades they've been planning since day one.

We're pawns to them. That's why people like the guy depicted in that image built the internet, too. Now the douchebags have basically co-opted it, too.

>Is “nerd culture” in decline? What characterised it? When did it begin and end?
when jews subverted it for their political agenda

Pretty based answer.

>Welcome to cultural appropriation.
i.e. manipulation