Why have the past two episodes been so fucking BAD?

Why have the past two episodes been so fucking BAD?

Did we really need a fan service episode just to rush the next one? What the fuck is going on?

The fan service episode was amazing for those who grew up with the original series. Last episode we just had I was very mix on, and very disappointed are aren't getting the pic you used OP.

Since the ending of the last episode, Jack claimed to go after Aku, but clearly in the preview that's not the case yet. Going by the summary I'm guessing it's going to set up a more intimate relationship between the two setting up episode 9 "secret" and then the final fight in episode 10.

But yeah, it was very jarring seeing old Jack after everything that has happened.

Past two episodes were great. You are just doing what Sup Forums does best - overexagerrating minor flaws.

Fuck the fan service episode. If they cut all the dumb cameos and the rave scene, it could've been paced better and not wasted time.

If this is a mini-series no time must be wasted. The fan service shit wasted a bunch of time in a very short season.
jack getting his sword back was a huge ass pull and didn't really feel satisfying. ashi's mom showing up out of no where and to be defeated was anti-climatic. why didn't jack just push away his spirit in the first place and get his sword?

>bad writing and poor pacing are "overexaggerations"

Nah dude I'm a huge SJ fan but I'm not gonna look at the new season with your rose tinted glasses. There are a lot of problems.

>why didn't jack just push away his spirit in the first place and get his sword?

That suggests he knew his sword left their plane of existence before entering the pit. Or that he knew it was his anger that was the cause of his sword's disappearance. As the episode went on, he started to realize. He didn't just have the answer, user

It was tying up loose ends, not just fan service.

The series is almost over.

Most people are completely wasting their time trying to evaluate bits and pieces rather than waiting to see how it ends.

Maybe we'll get a big letdown ending and everything will have been a waste of time. Or maybe everything that seems pointless now will have better context.

Just fucking shut up about it for a few weeks.

>why didn't jack just push away his spirit in the first place and get his sword?

He didn't know the sword left him on that level before entering the pit or that Mad Jack was the reason he lost it.

The suspension of disbelief went a bit too far when Ashi took down that whole army by herself. Sure, she's meant to be stronger than average anyway, but considering she got kicked around by the shogun spirit, a single enemy, the previous episode then suddenly is able to decimate an army in its thousands without major injury is way too deus ex machina.

At least when the Scotsman's wife did it, the effect was played for comic relief, but that isn't the tone they've gone for in this new season. It just seemed completely out of place in an effort to redeem a rather boring character.

>Why have the past two episodes been so fucking BAD?
They were great.

>Fuck the fan service episode. If they cut all the dumb cameos and the rave scene, it could've been paced better and not wasted time.
>If this is a mini-series no time must be wasted. The fan service shit wasted a bunch of time in a very short season.
user, the episode didn't waste anything. It was an episode dedicated to showing Jack's influence over the years. How much he has helped others, as well as seeing things from the point of view of others.

The episode was as important as everything else.

>jack getting his sword back was a huge ass pull and didn't really feel satisfying
It wasn't an ass pull, because both he and the sword are connected by the spirit. I do agree that it was rather rushed and they could have done a little more, but the season doesn't have all that many episodes in order to do it.

Because he was a broken man, user. He lacked hope and was lost within his rage and depression.

Fan service was badly done imo. Heavy handed and of little use. A montage of recognizable locations and characters would be enough.

Overall it was going well until they escaped the gigantic creature and the girl chose not to pursue Jack anymore. From that moment onward it quickly went to shit.

>can mow down thousands of goons
>struggles against a single enemy of significance

DO YOU EVEN REALIZE WHAT SHOW YOU ARE WATCHING FUCKING CHRIST!

>The suspension of disbelief went a bit too far when Ashi took down that whole army by herself.
No she didn't.
>ut considering she got kicked around by the shogun spirit, a single enemy,
He is much more competant than the orcs. Also, a Ghost.

>At least when the Scotsman's wife did it, the effect was played for comic relief, but that isn't the tone they've gone for in this new season.
Wrong. The orcs were clearly set as comic relief, also, they were set as being the prep battle before the real fight: against her mother.

You just have shit taste senpai.
Everyone I talk to loved them

It was stupid. Seeming how the location was set up, I was hoping she'd be slowing their advance until Jack is done, not annihilate them. I'd be more in line with her skills.

>but I'm not gonna look at the new season with your rose tinted glasses.
You're right. You're just going to look at it through the lens of someone incapable of understanding some of the more subtler things, and instead be disappointed due to expectations of what you likely WISHED would happen.

Does this season have some problems? Yes, but the problems are mainly due to the fact that it's only 10 episodes long, and so some things get rushed.

Big fan of SJ here, have to agree. Very disapointed on how things are getting rushed. So now jack has his sword back, what was the point on resurrecting Scaramouche, then? There won't be any real climax when we know Jack can defeat Aku easily. Also, I wanted to see bearded jack fighting with his sword like said.

I just can't see how they can make the next 3 episodes save the season. I had gigantic expectations for the whole season after watching eps 1, 2 and 3 and, while the season is not bad, it could have been so much more.

Also, compare the action in eps 2 and 3 to the rest of the season. That first fight against the Daughters, jack running for his life, the firefly scene, Jack killing the 6 daughters... it was all amazing. Compare that to the Ashi fight on the last episode, the scene in which she pulls a fucking army with her bare hands. It was all so...goofy.

I still hope we can get a good ending for Samurai Jack. Been waiting for that since I was like 9 years old.

>Why have the past two episodes been so fucking BAD?

Ashi. She's ruining the season.

If Jack MUST have a partner, why not make it The Scotsman? You know, the character that virtually the entire fanbase loves?

You just have shit taste senpai.
I don't talk to anyone, I did not like them myself

>multiple characters on this show wipe out entire armies with minimal effort
>BUT WHEN THIS ONE DOES IT IT RUINS THE SHOW FOREVER

>I'd be more in line with her skills.
The only measuring stick for her skill is against Jack, and we all know that Jack can be one crazy mofo.

>alternate universe Sup Forums
>S5 is Jack palling around with the Scotsman
>"man I used to like this guy but I think he's getting too much focus now"

I meant she's an assassin, not a weapon of mass destruction. I suppose it does not matter within this universe, but I think it's be a lot more fitting for her to set up traps, strike down stragglers, and slow the army down. The location could have been a little different to make it easier - thick jungle or something.

This. Literally Sup Forums's mentality in a nutshell, this board will always find a reason to complain, no matter what you give them.

To be perfectly honest, I only enjoyed the first three episodes. A part of me wishes it stayed dead.

Literally no one would say that. Scotsman alone is a great character that can stand on his own. Ashi is waifubait.

I saw plenty of scotsman hate when EP5 aired.

>incapable of understanding the subtler things

Ho ho ho i am laffin

Dude it's called time management and this season has shit the bed. There has been so much WASTE, while things like Kill Yourself Shogun and Jack's vision quest have been so poorly developed. Last episode did not benefit from Ashi destroying the army and fighting her mother. You could've had 21 minutes of Jack's introspective journey and when he returns from Shangrila sees corpses and blood and weapons and an exhausted Ashi and you still get the point across of "Wow, she held the line while I was doing my spiritual quest" without wasting time on two battles that were really fucking lame.

Stop lying

>but I think it's be a lot more fitting for her to set up traps, strike down stragglers, and slow the army down. The location could have been a little different to make it easier - thick jungle or something.
user, that's not how she was trained. The cartoon showed us that she and her sisters were raised as FIGHTERS since they were children.

You mean the character bound in a wheelchair due to his age, and needed one of his daughters to push him in the charge? What a fucking retarded suggesting, I'm glad you're not in charge.

This person has it right.

>One woman becomes a main side character in the new SJ

> Almost everyone in this board hates it

I thought I was on Sup Forums, not /r9k/.

Well obviously if he were to be Jack's partner he wouldn't be in the wheelchair you literal retard.

he is a comedic character. none of the characters introduced in the first 4 seasons have the depth required to play off depressed jack

Oh come on now, you have to admit the pacing in the second half of the last episode was shit.

why even bother? i'll make your job easier:
>HEY GUYZ SAMURAI JEK SUCKS BALLS!!!!!! LOL I TROL U

I had no problem with the last episode, I actually thought it was really good until I got on Sup Forums and realized everyone hated it. This place is an echo chamber. I don't know why I come here anymore because you guys can't enjoy anything without having an autistic tantrum. Seriously it's only a cartoon and not meant to be taken seriously.

Ashi doesn't have the depth either, yet here we are.

And don't tell me you don't want to see The Scotsman yelling Jack to regrow his spine and get that bloody sword back.

Which wasn't issue for most. People would bitch if the episode was too slow.

Its a fucking 22 min cartoon calm toue tits. I have enjoyed the new season a ton. New waifu is great as well.

You mean spam.
Every since, S5 it's been nothing but obnoxious THICC memes and scotsman shit-talking spam.

Any hate I've seen when it comes to the scotsman is most likely because of the way he was handled. We wanted more scotsman time, instead we got Ashi. Fan's came up with great theories for the show, but instead we got more ashi. You can't criticize Ashi because that would make you a sexist neckbeard. Ashi,Ashi ,Ashi. The first thing that pops in your mind when you think about S5 is Ashi. She's waifubait, plain and simple,

Genndy wanted to write a story about a guy traveling the wasteland with his crush, and this is what we are getting. While there's nothing wrong doing this, the way it was handled was bad. I grew up with Jack, not with Ashi. If Genndy wanted people to care about Ashi he should've introduce her years back. People have every right not to be happy with ashi.

>Seriously it's only a cartoon and not meant to be taken seriously.
So its ok to have shitty episodes because its just a cartoon? This season is meant to be taken seriously, its not for kids.

They were raised to kill one man, hence I wrote 'assassins'. No point arguing about this I suppose, you can go both ways,To me, that scene was silly. To annihilate an army is something Aku can do, her or the samurai - not really. Best way to do it is how described anyway imo

>woman gets involved
>everything is ruined

what a surprise

They haven't been bad. In fact, they've been phenomenal.

I think you may be a stupid faggot who deserves to die.

Do people really think blood and "penis" make something mature for adults?

This is Sup Forums you idiot. If you don't think feminists are hated on every board you're deluding yourself.

No one hated The Scotsman for that episode, they hated how he was handled.

>What was the point on resurrecting Scaramouche?

Because Scara will tell Aku Jack lost his sword, then he'll look for the foolish samurai with the hope of getting an easy kill

When he finds Jack back to his normal old self with sword in hand he'll get both surprised and recked

There is literally nothing wrong with feminism.

Anyone who complains about this show just didn't watch the original series.
The fan service episode also served as a path for both Ashi's and Jack's redemption. Jack lost sight of all the good he spread around the world as he become consumed by his ultimate goal - returning to the past.
Jack getting his sword back was not an asspull. From the very beginning of the series, the sword was a gift from the gods and not just a physical item. In the Hero's Journey trope (which Genndy follows fairly frequently), part of the cycle includes obtaining/re-discovering a divine weapon of sorts.
Moreover, the newest episode confirms that Jack will not be returning to the past. The Gods did not give Jack the sword so he could return to the past, and they certainly did not give the sword to the Emperor to time travel. The purpose of the sword was to give humanity the tool it needed to defeat Aku, end of story, full stop. Jack become consumed with returning to the past rather than actually defeating Aku.
Jack, the Scotsman, and countless other characters take down entire armies all by themselves. Why is it so hard to believe that Ashi could? For fuck's sake, Princess Mira no doubt did this as well off-screen.
It wasn't meant to "redeem" Ashi. That was Episode 6. It was meant as a contrast between her and Jack; Jack already completed his physical trial by defeating Ashi's sisters, while Ashi completed her mental trial by abandoning her brainwashing and ego by accepting the truth that Aku is a giant dick.
Then Jack and Ashi switch off. Jack has to overcome a mental trial while Ashi has to overcome a physical trial - not just defeating the army, but killing her own mother.
I'll admit that I was disappointed by how quickly Ashi's mother came and went, but that just highlights the violent themes of Ashi's upbringing.
The juxtaposition between Ashi's fight sequence and Jack making tea was hilarious, though.

>this is the first post in this thread mentioning feminists

BAIT

A man that could take out an entire army in a goofy manner from Season 2 onwards at times and at other times not be able to handle anything.

Ashi represents rebirth, you dingus. The Scotsman could find Jack but would not be able to shake him out of his funk because he represents a part of Jack's life that he lost hope for a long, long time ago.
Rebirth is a constant theme, and more often than not a feminine one.

>Literally the only way you might not like Season 5 is if you didn't watch the first four seasons

I'm so sick of this meme. Season 5 is a completely different beast than the first four seasons. Still Samurai Jack, but different enough that veterans of the show might not like it.

read the rest of my post
quoting the first line and disregarding the rest an argument does not make, user

Literally no one gives a shit about themes like rebirth. Everyone just wants to see Jack defeat Aku and get the victory we've been waiting a decade for.

Sure, that's what I meant by saying you can go both ways.

>Literally no one cares about the entire theme of this season!!

Then why would you bother watching anything except episode 10 if all you gave a fuck about was the ending?

>no one gives a shit about storytelling
it shows

>Literally no one gives a shit about themes like rebirth.
apparently the creator of the series does
but you're just a troll so who cares what you think

I'm just saying it was silly with Aku bitching about how incompetent the armies he sends after Jack are. Those orcs looked really incompetent.

>no one wants themes, we just want action
>I hate all this action, where's the themes
>more cheese
>too much macaroni

People are either baiting or genuinely too stupid to know what they want.

Because the action sequences are great (aside from Ashi vs the Orcs), some of the characters are still entertaining like Scaramouch. That's like saying why not watch a movie except the last five minutes.

But has ANYONE here sat down and talked about "rebirth" and how much they enjoy that theme? No. Because no one cares.

The people calling that episode a "fan service episode" are fucking stupid. The entire purpose of it was to show the positive impact that Jack had on the world. Up to that point, Jack thought that his actions had no meaning or impact, but everything we saw during it proved that wrong.

Everyone's entitled to their opinion, but I think some people on Sup Forums want to hate this because they want a new Korra, a new show that they can tear into for "raping their childhood" because new shows based on old favorites are low hanging fruit. The difference is that Korra was actually fundamentally fucking terrible in a lot of ways, while Samurai Jack Season 5, despite its flaws, is much, much better written and constructed.

>The fan service episode was amazing for those who grew up with the original series
No, it wasn't. There was plenty of good setup to be very dramatic or very comedic with them, but moments with the reoccurring side characters have been rushed to the point that such moments weren't really cool or funny.

>People who disagree with me are trolls

Wew lad.

>Sure, she's meant to be stronger than average anyway, but considering she got kicked around by the shogun spirit, a single enemy, the previous episode then suddenly is able to decimate an army in its thousands without major injury is way too deus ex machina.

Jack struggled with the shogun spirit, and Jack was shown to be infinitely stronger than Ashi. The orcs that Ashi fought were basically shit-tier cannon fodder.

No one on Sup Forums. That's what I meant and you fucking know it.

>>multiple characters on this show wipe out entire armies with minimal effort
Besides Aku, show a battle against an army done with "minimal effort?"

The Scotsman's wife, but that was clearly not meant to be taken seriously.

I think that people that dislike the past few episodes are fans of the slow buildup of tension and all the speechless tone building scenes the show is known for.

Ep 1, 2 and 3 had plenty of that, but they picked up the pace a lot afterwards, and losing those moments makes the show lose a bit of its charm.

>No one cares about themes
You are the cartoon fan equivalent of an illiterate ghetto nigger

here's your (You), kiddo. I hope it helps you through whatever is bothering you.
there are plenty of people on Sup Forums who like it

I'm enjoying the new season as well, but I'm not going to pretend that it's flawless. The pacing has bee really off the last few episodes. They had to squeeze dialogue between Ashi and her mother into the fight sequence itself, and you can really tell that it wasn't supposed to be there, it did not feel right at all. It was probably supposed to be during a stare down but they had to scrap it for time.

>YFW in last episode Aku throws jack again in the future

Show me a post about someone gushing about the rebirth theme, then.

>The fan service episode also served as a path for both Ashi's and Jack's redemption
True, saying that is was 'of little use' is inaccurate. What I meant to focus is the way it was delivered. I disliked the pacing, how she randomly stumbled upon the characters in what felt like a day. A proper journey, perhaps taking years, was necessary imo, for her to both see the world and somewhat work through the abuse she endured. Jack's sudoku was rather urgent though.

Calling it now...Jack will stay in the future with his new waifu and live as the hero of the many people he saved over 50 years and focus on restoring that world, as going back in the past will cease them from existing. The past few episodes have shown how all his ancestors did was shame him, thus making them unlikable. Jack only knew his family as a young child. He's met new family in the future over the past 50 years

Season 5 is a completely different story structure from the past 4 seasons. I'm getting sick and tired of people thinking Ashi is free from criticism because she is a ""gurl"".

What a terrible fucking time we are in, when we can't critique a piece of media because of the sex of a fictional character. I don't mind Ashi, I see why she was introduce and most likely she's going to be Jack's wife by the end of the series. A classic Hero tale, that corresponds with genndy's recurring dream. Great.wonderful. Now the problem is the way she's being handled, Perhaps Genndy did not want Jack to fall in love with a literally who side character and wanted the audience to like his companion, but there were MANY ways this could've been handled differently. She hogged up ALOT of screen time, and her story ruined the pacing of the show we came to see. We got her doing ridiculous shit, stuff Jack NEVER did. We all thought She was going to get slowly overwhelmed until Jack gets his sword and saves her. But we got some still looney toons shit instead. God damn, I'm sick of alot of you dense fuckers.

Look the season is not perfect longtime viewers like myself are getting closure to Samurai Jack. We've suffered 13 years of ass-slapping monkeys, humorless Bostonians, Toonami's first death, Stu Snyder, Chop Socky Chooks, CN Real, a shitty Dexter's lab knockoff, another Genndy cartoon dying too soon, Mr Pickles, and a monkeypawful of reboots.

>dissenters of the recent episodes are willing to lay out their true feelings about the recent episodes
>defenders of the recent episodes are being petulant name-callers and are projecting onto others

Does anyone have that old Korra Defense Force image, because this is all extremely familiar.

I bet Jack really regretted saving the random monks and losing out on the time portal when Aku cockblocked hin from entering the last one.

>decimate

youre using that word wrong

I didn't have much of a problem with episode 8 but 9 was like 50% bad.

Its because the Mad Jack episode was rehashed, and instantly resolved. This whole season has so far been about Jack being morally tired and mentally eroded, and then we get a 30 second version of Mad Jack episode in a nutshell to wrap up our journey.

This episode was terrible character building for jack and that's why people are upset.

(also the army fight is super loose with established expectations of character strength, I don't doubt ashi being able to take on an army but having the strength to bulldoze a line of a thousand plate mail soldiers, is a bit silly [and boring] for a more 'serious season'.)

Literally none of it matters because the show is three episodes from the end and then it will go away forever.

Nothing can be changed.

the way everyone talks as if what happened was that they were promised an ending and told to patiently wait for a decade instead of reality where a show was cancelled and years later a new season was announced basically by surprise

We're not in classic rome.

demanding a specific post on an anonymous imageboard which doesn't save posts is absurd
go back to plebbit
one thing that Genndy does all the time in Jack and leans on a little too heavily for the season is that the passage of time is not important to him
Ashi didn't just happen to run into the Woolies, the Ravers, and the Sa-Moo-Rai in one day or even in three successive days. It's possible that she traveled for weeks or months before finding Jack, who himself was traveling to a place of his ancestors to commit sudoku.
I agree that the pacing isn't great for the series as a whole but I think the team is doing the best they can with just 10 episodes and only one season. CN gave Genndy & Co. this one chance.
>she's going to be Jack's wife
based on what evidence?
>Genndy's recurring dream
so your only reason for hating Ashi is because of something the creator said about his childhood from 35 years ago? that's grasping at straws
>Now the problem is the way she's being handled
you haven't really explained this at all
>She hogged up ALOT of screen time
hardly, 6 out of 7 episodes are primarily about Jack
>her story ruined the pacing
how? you can't just say that without an argument.
>stuff Jack NEVER did
Jack held off armies on his own all the time, please re-watch the first four seasons
>I'm sick of alot of you dense fuckers
yeah a lot of us feel the same way about retards like you
none of you criticizers have replied to any of my points at all
go ahead, I'm waiting

So? Just because we have no significant influence on a show doesn't mean people shouldn't voice their opinions on it. What was the point of making that post?

So what you're saying is literally no one here gives a shit about the rebirth theme.

Unless someone else ITT wants to speak up in its defense?

Whenever we do reply to your points, you just say we're baiting or trolling, so why bother?

I'm glad I wasn't the only one experiencing déja vu.

>demanding post evidence on a forum which doesn't save posts
>immediately assuming that you're right because of your stringent parameters
ok
because all you and the other critics have replied to are single lines of large posts...

Should be retitled to 'common phrases people use to voice their opinion'.

Just 3 more weeks and it's over.

Just gotta make it.

Just gotta make it.

>SHE'S NOT GOING TO BE THE LOVE INTEREST AND YOU'RE WRONG YOU RETARD REEE

Listen, I can tell you are from tumblr who never watched the original series so I'll try and dumb this down for you.

Samurai jack has always been about simplicity. I'm not going to sit here and point out sources when they have already been posted and all you do in response is screech like a retard and say everyone is baiting or trolling. The fact you can't tell where the story is going based on the pacing, the way certain subjects were handled (ex:Ghost,Scotsman) means you have alot to learn about story telling.

But go ahead and call me a virgin neckbeard who hates women and will never get laid. It's all you idiots are good at.