Was this comic actually good...

Was this comic actually good, or was it just something fans lapped up because there is literally nothing else to look forward to with the franchise?

The original arcs were better than the game adaptation arcs, but primarily because the original content was given time to breathe while the game adaptations had a mandatory "tell it in 4 issues no matter what" rule that fucked them over.

The book's biggest problems were constant event crossovers that derailed the narrative and ESPECIALLY the inconsistent art quality.

Some issues look as awful as Dark Age Sonic the Hedgehog. Really, REALLY bad.

Overall, it's not bad, even with those setbacks. It's just not great. It's an alright comic, that's it.

I recently picked up two trade paperbacks for cheap (#5 and #6) and was really unimpressed. Part of the problem is likely because they seem to take place between story "arcs", and so there's just a lot of downtime and not much happening: stuff like Roll trying to set up Rock and Quake, or a beach episode where they rescue a cruise liner. The other problem is probably that the first Sonic/Mega crossover happened in the middle of #6, so what would've been a lot of action happening during the release order is just sort of lost. Ra Moon just showed up at the tail end of TP #6.

So while I'm not completely disappointed by them, it really doesn't feel that distinctive from most other similar comics. It's more for the fanservice of the Mega Man characters than anything else.

>The original arcs were better than the game adaptation arcs

Better maybe, but I dunno if they were all that good.

The Emerald Spears were lame and waaayyyyyy overused and the OCs outside of the police detectives were lousy (especially Quake Woman).

The game adaptations are the only arcs that progressed the narrative, so the original arcs always felt like padding with little actually happening in them.

I can only really compare it to Hitoshi's MegaMix series, which this fell really flat in comparison, and Dreamwave's Mega Man comic, which it was better than.

So it gets a resounding "meh"

>changing Honey Woman to "Vesper Woman"

For what purpose?

Is it like pic related? Everything needs to be made more "badass?"

they weren't allowed to use honey woman, she "doesn't exist"

Honey Woman isn't canon. She was just an early design for Hornet Man.

Early designs are kind of a legal grey area, so to avoid any issues, Archie just put her in the comic with a new name. For legal purposes, she's an original creation like Ricky Rouse or Monald Muck.

Good arcs: Spiritus Ex Machina, Blackout, and anything with Krantz/Stern or Proto Man. Everything else was alright at best.

I really liked the comic, myself. It had a fun fast-paced style but wasn't scared to deal with heavy themes that were usually avoided by kids' comics, but without feeling dark or edgy. In that way it a lot like Astro Boy, which inspired Mega Man in the first place.

It's not a masterpiece but it is a lot of fun. Its biggest problem is the Sonic crossovers, which are completely pointless and take up far too many issues. They can be skipped pretty easily, though.

Oh, yeah, and the MM3 bits with the actual Robot Masters, and the MM3 aftermath, was good. The more "plot-related" bits were weak as fuck, though, and a lot of the art was horrible.

>In that way it a lot like Astro Boy, which inspired Mega Man in the first place.

I bet you loved the Dreamwave comic and can't wait for the new cartoon, too.

huh, you would think that being a scrapped concept would make it EASIER to be allowed to put her in a comic

It was alright. I really liked how they added in Time Man/OilMan and the idea that Wily reprogramming Mega Man in MM2 by having a virus written into the Robot Master's weapon's programming was amazing.

MM3 is my favorite game, so I was kinda miffed that they kept postponing it with OC character arcs, needless crossovers, jumping ahead to MegaMan X, and them hinting that they were going to completely rip-off RockMan GigaMix's StarDroid's storyline.

>they were going to completely rip-off RockMan GigaMix's StarDroid's storyline.

It probably would have been the best story they ever told

The best thing about the Archie book is that it was nothing like these two versions. Don't let that stop you from bitching about a comic you obviously haven't read, though.

It was okay.
I don't really like Flynn OCs (especially Emerald Spears), but Tempo was cute and police duo was good.
Original arcs weren't very engaging and I skipped both crossovers. Best point for me was Super Adventure Rockman arc which setted up Stardroids and Duo stuff. Mr. X stuff was disappointing on other hand.

Nah, that actually means that this concept belongs to it's author and not the company.

Really? For me the original arcs were the highlights.

I liked original issues with Blues. Those were great.
Everything else was meh-to-okay.

Ace Attorney comic when?