The first two Harry Potter movies are great to watch on Christmas, they have such a comfy, Christmassy feeling to them...

The first two Harry Potter movies are great to watch on Christmas, they have such a comfy, Christmassy feeling to them. How come all the other movies lost that feeling? I've tried doing a marathon of the whole series around Christmas time, but once you get to PoA it doesn't feel like Christmas viewing at all anymore.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=54d3qDLGsTc
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

jews

Its to represent how in the beginning their was a sense of wonder and excitement and by the end its bleak and chaos

they were never good as christmas movies
poa is best

go watch home alone or die hard 2

Well, it's understandable. People want "safe". They want "comfy". They want "familiar". That's why they'll purchase blu-rays of films based on one of the dullest franchise in the history of movie franchises. Each episode following the boy wizard and his pals from Hogwarts Academy as they fight assorted villains has been indistinguishable from the others. Aside from the gloomy imagery, the series’ only consistency has been its lack of excitement and ineffective use of special effects, all to make magic unmagical, to make action seem inert.

Perhaps the die was cast when Rowling vetoed the idea of Spielberg directing the series; she made sure the series would never be mistaken for a work of art that meant anything to anybody, just ridiculously profitable cross-promotion for her books. The Harry Potter series might be anti-Christian (or not), but it’s certainly the anti-James Bond series in its refusal of wonder, beauty and excitement. No one wants to face that fact. Now, thankfully, they no longer have to.

>a-at least the books were good though
"No!"
The writing is dreadful; the book was terrible. As I read, I noticed that every time a character went for a walk, the author wrote instead that the character "stretched his legs."

I began marking on the back of an envelope every time that phrase was repeated. I stopped only after I had marked the envelope several dozen times. I was incredulous. Rowling's mind is so governed by cliches and dead metaphors that she has no other style of writing. Later I read a lavish, loving review of Harry Potter by the same Stephen King. He wrote something to the effect of, "If these kids are reading Harry Potter at 11 or 12, then when they get older they will go on to read Stephen King." And he was quite right. He was not being ironic. When you read "Harry Potter" you are, in fact, trained to read Stephen King.

First two were shot on film, by an old school filmmaker. You'll notice Home Alone, also a Columbus flick, is equally Christmassy. Now, you can say that Columbus is a bad director, and he sort of is, but this was before the craft was flushed down the toilet for television coverage, cartoony effects, and excessive color correction.

The first two focused a lot on the Christmas scenes. Lots of snow, huge christmas trees and magical decorations, the castle covered in white, opening presents, christmas dinner. Most of that happens in the other books as well but only the first two really focus on that aspect and show it off.
Every book has Christmas in it, and presents and snow and comfy vibes, they just didn't show it in the movies.

Perhaps for that reason. Maybe they wanted to hammer home the fact the stories got darker so they cut the comfy Christmas scenes that were in the books.

>Most of that happens in the other books as well but only the first two really focus on that aspect and show it off.
The later films are more like recaps of the books than actual fleshed out films with scenes that establish or build up to anything.

Why do wizards celebrate the Christianity version of Christmas and not Yule Christmas?

Look at who directed which movie. The first two were directed by the same person.

kek

never stop

They celebrate neither, there's no reference to Jesus or even Father Christmas. They just celebrate Christmas in the way most people do it, have a huge dinner and exchange presents. If anything, they take a Pagan approach to the holiday and just went along with the times and emulated Muggle traditions like Christmas trees and baubles.

What are some other good Christmas movies I can watch that have this aesthetic that aren't shitty Harry Potter?

Change of directors, with change of focus.

The first two films heavily focused on the wondrous part of Harry Potter. They had the same directors and the same aesthetic.

The third film heavily focused on a more down to earth urban fantasy, with a focus on being edgy and dark, and how magic is integrated into the Wizard society.

The fourth film calmed down and came back to a certain sense of wonder, but still never recovered. After that it's all tumbling down, my friend.

Eyes Wide Shut.

It would actually make sense if Dumbledoor wanted to emulate the Muggle version of Christmas giving that he's a big Muggle lover but I'm guessing there are more traditional wizards and families who worship the old pagan version of Christmas.

You did good nigger, you did good

Since they're wizards, they're bound to find their Christmas roots in Paganism rather than religion, but it's all left open in the books really.

Obviously the decisions of the director change the whole adaptation. PoA did well in putting more grit into it, just like the book did. GoF was a weird one because the director just fucked up just about anything he could, but it was still a bit more Christmassy at times.

Good opening line, but I'm always disappointed when the pic isn't one of those edits with Clifford in it, those always make me laugh, especially when thinking about new posters seeing it for the first time

The soundtrack for movie one was kino
youtube.com/watch?v=54d3qDLGsTc

I read someone that the studios went against J.K's wishes, she wanted the edgy grimdark twilight shit from the beginning but was forced to make them PG friendly

Ah come on man, at least let me say "Perhaps" first.

>watching a movie that makes demonic invocation into a children's' game on the day of our saviors birth

Chris Columbus stopped directing the series

Jesus was probs a great wizard in their world.

IDGAF about dullest memery, I bought the Potter-Box to have a comfy time with my gf

Home Alone and Home Alone 2

Really? That sounds interesting, do you have a source?
If anything, it was JK who constantly had meetings with the studio to ensure the films wouldn't fuck up her work, like how she insisted on using a British cast, and forbade them when they wanted to make Harry's character more cool and with lots of witty quips, Bond-style.
Also why would she want to put in extra gritty stuff in the first films when it only became a big and growing thing later on in the books? I thought the whole point was that the first two were fairly childlike and magical and that from then on things would get darker.

they're absolutely perfect for comfy time

Because 1 and 2 were made for literal elementary school children, that's why you like it so much

Epitome of comfy, no long-running franchise is as comfy as HP.
>tfw I also bought the new boxset to have a comfy time on my sofa next to a duvet propped up against the sofa to vaguely resemble a human form so I can hold my arm around it and pretend I have a girlfriend to watch HP with

I have never seen or read anything related to HP. My girlfriend just got me to watch them all with her and it was a spectacular experience. Loved sharing that with her.

>Loved sharing that with her.
Cheers for rubbing it in mate.

tfw no HP loving GF

maximum comfy

>tfw my uni is stuffed with cute girls who love HP but I don't have the confidence to date
They're right there in front of me, but I'm not doing a single thing with it. Ah well, I guess I'll go to bed, listen to the audiobooks and cry myself to sleep.

Good, don't waste your time if they don't have dicks

Don't worry boys. Plenty of women are into HP. There's a good chance that any girlfriend you have will likely enjoy the movies or books.

I know, most people in my age range (I'm 25) grew up with Harry Potter, universities are full of fans, at least in my department. It's nice to discuss the franchise with the girls in my classes, but I can never seem to take the step to turn it into a relationship. I'd like nothing more than a girlfriend who is into HP as much as I am (imagine the roleplay), but I'm too insecure and socially inept to take that first step.
Anyway this isn't the forum to discuss or resolve my personal life. Getting a bit off topic.

On topic though, I wonder if the new generation is into Harry Potter as much as the generation that grew up with the books and films. Aging along with Harry and seeing the films for the first time was a huge deal for people back then. Pottermania was huge at that time, people waiting in line for 24 hours to buy the next book etc. Do young children like HP these days or was it just a huge popular boost at its time that stuck with those who experienced it, but never really passed on to the new generation of children

>tfw I have a platonic female friend from secondary school who I still hang out with sometimes who loves HP
>tfw I convinved her to dress up as Hermione in full costume for a Halloween party, stockings, skirt, little tie and everything
>tfw she kept quoting Hermione phrases like leviOOOOsa
I honestly thought platonic friendships could exist between a man and a woman but after that night things changed for me.

They can, Doesn't mean you don't want to fuck them

True, actually. I doubt any of those girls who are like "I prefer hanging out with boys instead of girls, boys are much more fun and girls just gossip about you as soon as you're gone" actually understand the irony of that viewpoint. Yes, with girls, as soon as you leave they start gossiping, but boys will regularly masturbate to you, no exception.

I think it's passing on to the next generation.

It's easy to think that what we love dies with us because we grow out of the target demographic for it. I used to think that way about Pokemon when I grew out of my elementary school/high school days. It's an arrogant way of thinking that "if I don't play pokemon, no one plays pokemon." Yet the franchise is still kicking ass to this day.

My instagram explore page is full of HP based pictures, and that was even before I was into the franchise. My city (Toronto), just opened up a wizard/magic/monster themed store called Curiosa. They have fantastical things from all different franchises (obvi tons of HP related things). This place just opened up and it's booming in there. I was in there yesterday picking up a couple gifts for Christmas -- got an owl ornament, and a 20th Anniversary Gryffindor HP book.

I went through big part of self-reconstruction. I didn't like who I was and wanted to change that. Part of my changing was seeing women as people and not just things to hook up with and solely as sex objects.

It literally makes such a huge difference in your life when you actually have female friends that you treat as a friend first instead of a "woman that I'm not yet having sex with".

She wanted Terry Gilliam to direct the films.

That could have been great

The generation that grew up with HP are starting to have children, and they'll read the books as bedtime stories, so I suppose it just passes on like most thiings. Like you said with Pokemon, I thought it died out a bit, but my 6-year-old nephew tells me that the trading cards are the biggest thing at school, and everyone's got a 3DS to battle and trade. It always carries on.

I've always had female friends I have no intention or fantasy to have sex with. People are people. I think the vast majority secretly want to fuck them though. But if you're real, actual friends, that's just weird. It's like thinking about fucking your male best friend. It'd be shit, awkward, and you'd both regret it forever,