Find a flaw with the best Star Wars film of all - Episode 4 A New Hope

Find a flaw with the best Star Wars film of all - Episode 4 A New Hope
>Pro tip: you can't

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=YnNSnJbjdws
youtu.be/2WBG2rJZGW8?t=445
twitter.com/AnonBabble

It should've been labeled episode 1 so we could've gotten the adventures of young Luke after RotJ and no TFA/TLJ.

/thread

>inb4 It's old

>2 females
>everyone is white

Obi Wan treats Darth like a name in this film, but it's a title. Obi Wan is an idiot, or there's a continuity error.

Wow you are retarded. You've never heard anyone call someone mister or doctor?

Shit light saber duels and obi wan dies like trash.

Did the emperor have the name of Darth sidious before the prequels? If not then Vader was the only Darth in star wars at that point and it would probably make sense that the Darth was treated as a first name

Empire is just as good and more emotionally complex, so by default it falls into second place. Otherwise its almost perfection. Wonderfully scored, tightly written, and, at worst, acting is serviceable.

It's too bad Lucas made the dumb fucking decision to make the OT 4/5/6. We should have got a sequel trilogy in the late 90's instead of those fuck awful prequels. Now we'd be getting the last trilogy 7/8/9. Fuck that turkeynecked cocksucker and I hope it burns his fucking ass that CANDY CRUSH was sold for 5.9 BILLION while Lucas' entire legacy (Star Wars, Indiana Jones, Lucasfilm, Lucasarts, ILM and Skywalker Sound) was bought for 4 billion. Sucker!!!FACT!!!

stormtrooper bumps head on door

>Did the emperor have the name of Darth sidious before the prequels
No. He didn't even have a name, he was just the Emperor.

the fact the Empire, with the ingenuity and engineering potential of the entire galaxy at their disposal, built such a flawed battle station that they had to make a spin-off movie 40 years later just to patch this glaring plot hole

They didn't hyper speed ram the deathstar

It wasn't a plot hole. It was intentional. They overlooked that weakness in their arrogance.

Light Saber duels in the old movies made at least sense. In the new movies they fight like Super Heroes while the so called fans bitch about their " over 9000! " powerlevel.

it's a troll, do not bother with it.

young skywalker already balding?!

>"Flaw"

To be fair, they we're both old people who probably we're more focused on using the Force to keep their hips from falling out of their sockets

Literally this youtube.com/watch?v=YnNSnJbjdws

It's what they talk about in this scene. Were you even paying attention?

"The Force" is used, like, three times in the movie, and Luke trains with a Lightsaber only to never really use it at all

maybe, who am I to judge?

Nah doubt it, just unlucky with the way the wind blows, Mark Hamill has a head full of hair at 66

Leia seems to take having her planet blown up and being tortured by Vader unrealistically well. This extends out to the other movies. It's almost like she doesnt care.

The only problem I have is Leia suggesting they're being tracked, then heading to the rebel base anyway, apart from that it's perfect

>obi wan dies like trash
i always wondered why did they make it so shitty, i mean they had such a bond and all, as we find out in the revenge

It was a one in a million shot, no one without the force could have made it.

and explain to me how it makes a bad movie?

Another thing that annoys is the insistence that stormtroopers can't aim. They were under orders not to kill or capture the rebels, just put on a convincing act to make Leia and friends think they actually escaped. Vader and Tarkin were using them to locate the hidden rebel fortress. Heck, Leia literally comments on this.

Empire waits to take the Death Star around Yavin before firing at the rebel base, rather than just coming out of hyperspace in a place where they could immediately shoot it.
Empire sends out a few dozen TIE fighers to defend their small moon-sized superweapon.

>as we find out in the revenge
retcon

Oh yeah, and this.

It's not even remotely as good as Empire.

>The only problem I have is Leia suggesting they're being tracked, then heading to the rebel base anyway
Yeah. She was taking a huge risk.

They were overconfident.
The Death Star has no hyperdrive and the empire can't just destroy every planet there is.

obi-wan vs vader lightsaber fight was atrocious

She was luring the Death Star

youtu.be/2WBG2rJZGW8?t=445
They didn't think they were in any danger till it was too late, skip to 7:25

If it has no hyperdrive, how does it move from system to system so fast?

But then why send out any TIE fighters at all?

Plus there's reload time. The first Death Star couldn't fire continuously.

why do anything?

It does?

I'm not talking about blowing up Yavin, I'm saying why not come out of hyperspace in a place where you don't have to go around Yavin to begin with?

They only do, because the attacking ships are too small to hit with their turrets.

I don't think there's any other technology established in the movies that lets ships move rapidly enough to get from one star system to another in a few days.

True. But if you're going to send out a few dozen TIE fighters, might as well send out a few hundred. Give the pilots a bit of exercise.

Because it obviously has no hyperspace functionality.

Vader/Obi-Wan fight is so low quality it's sad.

I'm glad no one reponded to the first reply ITT as it ... doesn't make sense, lol.

But does it get from one system to another so fast?
Also, how big is a system? And how fast is hyperspeed compared to normal starwars speed?

see the back and forth between the imperials is what i love and why id love a full series on it

it literally comes out of hyperspace in rogue one, it has the ability.

Due to its size though, it can probably only travel on the safest most secure hyperspace routes. Probably why Tarkin avoided taking it all the way to Dantoine.

they talk about it not being fully operational.
Was it maybe lacking a shield?

>it literally comes out of hyperspace in rogue one
>rogue one
we are talking about star wars, not rogue one

It's shit quality bait

I think the whole stormtroopers can't aim only got worse with the next two movies because the stormtroopers still failed to hit any of the heroes on Bespin, and then they got BTFO by a bunch of ewoks in ROTJ. It was a recurring gag that they're hyped up to be super dangerous by Obi-Wan but then just end up not delivering at all.

As much as I like the theory, I seriously don't think George was that clever to give a reason why the Stormtroopers couldn't hit Luke, Leia and Han.

anything relating to the force on screen is an editing mistake. prove me wrong.

From what I can remember, every time we see ships in the SW movies go from one star system to another, they use hyperdrive. A system's size would vary I'm sure and depends on how you define a solar system's size. In our solar system, for example, Neptune orbits at about 30 AU from the Sun. The nearest star from the Sun is 276000 AU away. I don't know how fast hyperspeed is, but SW movies show that it's possible to get from Coruscant to the Outer Rim in a matter of days or weeks. I don't know if the movies ever state that Coruscant is near the Galactic core, but it doesn't really matter much - the speeds shown in the movies are almost certainly enough to go from one end of the galaxy to the other in under a year, so we're talking just a few orders of magnitude difference in estimates at most. Now, we don't know how big the SW galaxy is compared to our own, but the physics of celestial bodies (although not of other things) seems to work the same in it as in hours, so I think the difference in sizes is not too great. If hyperspace can take you from the galactic center to the galactic rim in, let's say, 6 months (and I'm being very conservative, I think the movies show faster travel than that), and the galaxy is about the same size as hours, then that would mean a speed of about 280 light years per day. At that speed, going from the sun to Neptune would take about 0.15 seconds, going from the sun to the nearest star would take about 22.5 minutes.

Luke going from not knowing what the force is to blindfold me up and watch me deflect three blaster shots with a weapon which takes years of training to use with any sort of proficiency. To using the force again without any further training to help him aim and blow up an entire death star.

All in the span of 72 hours

>As much as I like the theory, I seriously don't think George was that clever to give a reason why the Stormtroopers couldn't hit Luke, Leia and Han.
But the movie gives us the reason.
And everything in the sequels doesn't make the original worse.

whooooaaaat?

Obi-Wan vs Vader fight looks pathetic. Two old geezers poking at eachother with glowing sticks.

>they got BTFO by a bunch of ewoks in ROTJ
Guerilla warfare has btfo great armies throughput history, and a bunch of ewoks get actually killed by Stormtroopers.

Fun thing is, it is probably the most realistic fight in the whole saga.

han uses parsecs.wrong.
am I blowing your mind with new info?

what has that to do with the force?
parsecs might be different in sw-verse
he might also be just stupid and bullshitting

does han shooting first and then getting changed later count as a flaw?

depends on you

The way Obi-Wan was shaking his blade as if he had trouble holding is steady, and the way Vader was awkwardly lunging forward... was that really realistic?

the best of all star wars by far and one of the most kino fantasy sci fi epics ever.

everything else is rubbish, even empire strikes back

They killed off a great villain.

more realistic than this for sure.

Production and editing can be so jarring sometimes it looks like a B-movie: recycling props from other movies (a werewolf), ingenuity on new props (there's one droid that's basically a bunch of light bulbs and Greedo is obviously made of rubber), and somethings that could be polished in the cutting floor (stormtrooper ordering to close the doors after they were already closed) , audio (Luke calling Leia, but instead calling "Carrie"), etc. The production quality in Empire was a gigantic leap though.
The acting is, well, B-movie tier. Carrie Fisher was really giving her all, Hamill too but the writing made him look like a sociopath, Ford and Guiness had sheer charisma by their side since both were there just for the paycheck.
Most scenes don't have the same impact without the sequels or prequels: Obi-Wan vs Vader doesn't have the same thrill without knowing their backstories. Vader also doesn't look as half as menacing, even a little goofy.

The original SW was an ingenuous and really fun adventure. The production has its extremes: sometimes it looks like a B-movie, sometimes it's jawdropping even today (the whole Death Star sequence). The thing is, only a little late Lucas and cia realized the phenomena it was turning out to be. Otherwise, if it was a bomb or a modest sucess, it would be just a really good or underrated sci-fi classic.

>Why did Leia lead the Death Star to Yavin when she knew the Falcon was being tracked.

>On a space station the diameter of Florida there are no turbolifts or automated walkways or trains or high speed ground transportation.

>On a space station the width of Florida the tractor beam generator, cell block, and everything the good guys need, is all within 5 minute walking distance from the landing bay they happened to be pulled into.

>The Battle Of Midway showed us that low & slow torpedo bombers were vastly more susceptible to being shot down than dive bombers, because dive bombers will have less contact with enemy AA. Thus the Rebels should have dive bombed the exhaust port from above rather than approaching it through the trench. Lives would have been saved. Furthermore, approaching the exhaust port from the trench presents a nearly impossible target because the exhaust port is on the ground. If you were dive bombing it, the exhaust port would present itself head on.

>Just hyperspace ram it. One Y-Wing at .99 lightspeed should explode the death star like a shotgunned watermelon.

Point 2 is false, and thus point 3 is explained.
The actual size is also never stated, and who knows how much space that laser generator needs.

The action is terrible. Really really bad.

The lightsaber fight is easily the worst in the entire series.

Vader's character/role hadn't really been ironed out yet so he's not really that great of a villain.

Luke is annoyingly whiny. Hamill isn't that great of an actor.

Pic related.

>Vader's character/role hadn't really been ironed out yet so he's not really that great of a villain.
He has presence, menace, and is interesting to watch. Are have you forgotten that he was the breakout character of the movie and used extensively in the marketing for the sequels. As badly as it turned out, he got his own trilogy for a reason.

>Luke is annoyingly whiny. Hamill isn't that great of an actor.
Hamill is fine. Better written and acted than the character of Rey.

>He has presence, menace
He really doesn't. In his first scene he's literally shouting. He later gets snapped at by Tarkin and takes it. He's interesting because of the great character design but it wasn't until TESB that Vader really became Vader.

>Hamill is fine. Better written and acted than the character of Rey
He's better written, yes, but definitely not better acted. He's petulant and grating instead of innocent and naive.

It was carried by Alec Guinness. Everyone else was meh with the exception of Vader.

Vader looks retarded and goofy, the only cool parts about him are his voice and the way he moves

Why are people suddenly pretending that Hamill and FIsher were good actors?

>Physically towering figure dressed in black with the voice of James Earl Jones
>No presence or menace
user, come on

>6'5
>towering
Not all of us are manlets

The lighsaber duel and the Tantive IV firefight at the beginning look pretty bad.

Wasting energy/ammunition for an empty life pod? These guys do not even know about the plans probably.

>The average American height for men is 177 cm or 69.7 inches, which is approximately 5 foot 10 inches tall.

the costume adds an inch or two.
also celebheights claims 6'6"

>star wars

It should've been called Star Wars. No subtitle, no sequels, no prequels, no expanded universe, nothing. Like it was originally called before they made the original Hollywood cash grab: The Empire Strikes Back.

Let's take an open and shut movie, and bring the villain back. You didn't technically see him die so he's still alive! Oh and remember the Death Star? We're building a bigger one! And guess what, the villain is actually the hero's father! Why didn't the hero's mentor bring this up last movie? Don't ask questions! And prepare your wallets because we're ending on a cliffhanger! You didn't think we weren't doing another sequel did you?

>Cash grab
>It was already planned before SW came out.
kys

It wasn't.

Agreed.
THX and the ot take everyday objects and people but skew them slightly, and voila you’re in another galaxy.
You felt like Skywalker or the bun-haired princess might be just around the corner.
A New Hope stayed with you forever.

****REMINDER****
(reddit space)
Just because you think Empire Strikes Back is better than A New Hope does not make you a pleb.
(reddit space)
**HOWEVER**
(reddit space)
EVERY SINGLE PLEB thinks Empire Strikes Back is better than A New Hope.
(reddit space)
And chances are you're a fucking moron pleb for thinking this.