Were audiences in 1980's confused when the Emperor did not appear as a space chimp?

Were audiences in 1980's confused when the Emperor did not appear as a space chimp?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/rKtciRCVpFE
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Yeah, but I was so young I didn't question it. I still think the original was cooler and more alien.

it doesn even look like a chimp

Probably not, most people didn't have a way to watch it at home, VHS just entering the US market at the end of the 70s.

I doubt people remembered what the emperor looked like other than he was kind of green and wore a cloak.

I'm pretty sure the voice was a woman, but I'm too lazy to google that.

I think its chimp eyes on a human face

it was a woman with chimp eyes playing the part but Clive Revill did the voice

It was a dude, but he sounded a lot less evil and hammy than Ian McDiarmid. He just sounded like a normal dude.

youtu.be/rKtciRCVpFE

What's wrong with his face?

He actually kind of looks like Marty Feldman.

sheev had a lot of clones

Is this the only change to the Special Editions that's universally accepted as an improvement?

The new John Williams score at the end of ROTJ gets a lot of praise. I've seen people hate on this change because they fucked with the dialogue. But it is good to see McDiarmid.

Fixed lightsaber effects

>what?!
It is considered one of the worst!
Only acceptable changes in Empire are those done to cloud city!

Why has the emperor such a shit design?
I mean in general.
It is the fucking emperor.

looks like Randlet

#notmysheev

The unnerving design of the original was what made it brilliant you disgusting pleb.

Much better than Diarmid.
But the idea behind this is really weird.
Why not get someone yoou can use in the sequel?

Am I the only purist who thinks that all changes are unnecessary and insulting?

Even if it fixes continuity and technically makes it better, it was not the original version of the film that audiences saw in cinemas. It's not the version that everyone came to know and love and it's not the version that spawned a cultural movement. I believe experiencing an artist's work in its original form is the best way to enjoy something, and any other version is only good as a curiosity.

I agree with you. All I want are the original theatrical releases.
I think Beethoven said something about he was never in the habit of altering his compositions once released because the slightest changes would alter their character.

>I believe experiencing an artist's work in its original form is the best way to enjoy something, and any other version is only good as a curiosity.

Agreed. The best Batman worked in New York City instead of the fictional Gotham City, killed people with guns regularly, drove around in Bruce Wayne's normal car, and had no supervillains, no Alfred, no Batsignal, no gadgets and etc...

The changes were autistic. George has autism

Difference is, the old comics are not changed.

On that topic fuck the Director's and Final Cut of Blade Runner. And fuck extended cuts of anything.

Deckard is not a Replicant, the voiceovers were well missed, and the Unicorn scene is really out of place.

They're constantly recolored for rerelease.

Are they redrawn too? Are panels changed?
Your analogy is terrible.

>I think Beethoven said something about he was never in the habit of altering his compositions once released because the slightest changes would alter their character.

That's a shit argument, Beethoven. Lots of great artists (especially musical) revisit and alter their works. That's why great live bands don't play an exact replica of their works.

Not to mention, does this mean the first draft is the end all be all? After all, the first draft always have a different character in comparison to the final draft

Download Harmy's despecialized edition. Dew it!

They are frequently reinked.

Comics are frequently revised for rerelease often die to censorship.

A live version is completely redoing it. They doo not change the original recording.
They also do not change the composition but the arrangement.

Lol

examples?!

You're a shit analogy.
>first draft
Beethoven would go through tons of drafts but once it was released that was it. He didn't go back to the Ode to Joy when he was old and senile and Ode to Joy Special Edition with a bunch of crazy kazzoos going on in the background to keep the kids entertained.

I prefer this emperor, but Sheev is cool too

>drove around in Bruce Wayne's normal car
who is Bruce Wayne? That does not exist for purists! pleb!

This was one of the most surreal things in all of my childhood and I kind of wish I never found out it was real. I remembered this horrifying character in star wars but every time I rewatched it when I was older it was never there. I thought I imagined it or had some twisted nightmare.

>Is this the only change to the Special Editions that's universally accepted as an improvement?

Some of the speeder effects in 4 looked strait up bad in the original cut. The special edition improved that

This emperor is actually terrifying.

Fuck off youngfag. You grew up with shit

But that original material wasn't modified. Your comparison is completely wrong and it pisses me off even if you're just messing around.

This emperor sounds and looks much better than rotj emperor. A strong but alien appearance, and not some old cripple with a fucked face.

But this is just flat out wrong, some minor edits to improve certain effects are fine. but most of the edits the special editions received were unneeded and jarring.

So what if you can't see Cloud city because the lack of windows, it was perfectly fine in the original cut. But making Lightsabers more consistent with how they are in the rest of the saga is perfectly fine

Yes but he doesn't have an exaggerated easily imitatable voice

The current reprint of a killing joke has different coloring which looks like garbage, and the old version isn't being printed anymore so eventually it will only survive as pirated pdfs
The current reprint of miracleman also has altered coloring (not to mention that the comic was already altered way back when by changing its name from marvelman to miracleman) and the older prints are already rare and espensive and will deteriorate over time
You might think this isn't a big deal but the different coloring completely alters the tone of the whole thing

I'm sorry that I was not born in your preferred year. Please forgive me for being only 23 Mr old man sir.

The problem is also that Lucas did not stop in 1997. Even though he could do everything he needed back then.
Now we have a thousand different versions instead of Original Edition and SE.

holy shit that looks awfull, how can OTretards even live with himselfs?

no

Victory celebration is far superior to yub nub

"Yub Yub I want some grub grub" is kino

agreed, better end to a saga like sw.
but it is also stupid, tha now all the galaxy celebrates, even though the empire is still in charge.

Thanks for saving me the effort. There are countless blogs, imgurs, and tumblrs comparing revised comics.

These movies were broadcast on tv in the 80s. I recorded them on VHS.

One of my favorite scenes is the toppling of the statue of the Emperor on Coruscant

USA aired the entire series in order every Christmas day up until the late 90s

I had no idea who the Emperor was when he first appeared, but caught up quickly.
As others have said, TESB wasn't available to watch repeatedly, so things like this melted out of the child brain of the day.
Probably most adult normies too. The internet age requires greater fidelity and pre-planning for this sort of shit.

Anybody who noticed the design difference likely just noted they'd developed the Emperor's character more since the previous movie.
Same deal with Jabba. Shaggy character actor space gangster becomes Sultan/Arabian Warlord-esque space slug.

This. It’s pretty insane that it’s basically impossible to see the original versions of such famous and influential movies. It’s like being denied access to history by a petulant child. Every time I consider APOLOGISing to Lucas I remember this.

It’s so embarrassing when people address insights like that as “arguments”. It’s a really reddit thing to do. You can disagree or qualify your interpretation if you like, but Christ. It’s such a dogmatic and positivist attitude.