How come everyone hates Finn? This honestly cannot just be because he is a black man, can it...

How come everyone hates Finn? This honestly cannot just be because he is a black man, can it? John Boyega wasn't that bad in these movies.

Other urls found in this thread:

nytimes.com/2017/12/22/movies/star-wars-last-jedi-women-run-universe.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

He's character is entirely useless.

Yah, Finn is the reason everyone is hating on Star Wars right now. It's the ebul wh*te man. Not the character assassination of Luke Skywalker because he was a wh*te m*le hero.

nytimes.com/2017/12/22/movies/star-wars-last-jedi-women-run-universe.html

>11 writers and artists that live in San Francisco control the entire Star Wars franchise.

I liked him in the first movie, but they turned him into comic relief in the Last Jedi. They also cut half of his scenes.

>Oh no, I watched a Stormtrooper die. Maybe war and killing are bad.
>I'm now going to go murder hundreds of Stormtroopers.

He's comic relief.

I liked him in TFA, he's meaningless in TLJ

He acts like a spaz in both movies.

"Droid please!"

>He's

I liked him in the first movie, he had a lot of chemistry with Poe, not shipping shit but it was enjoyable to see them work together and that scene with them escaping was my favorite in the film 2bh.

He's totally worthless in the second one though.

WHATEVER HAPPENED TO PREDICTABILITY

Terrible writing coupled with Boyega apparently only being as good as his script.

>This honestly cannot just be because he is a black man, can it?

Yes.

He had purpose in Force Awakens, sadly they had no idea what to do with him in TLJ so he went on that dumbass side plot that served no purpose.

Actually if you weren't from RËDDIT you'd know Sup Forums is FinnCentral

The character sucks, because he's a coward who panics when nobody is looking and tries to act smug when everyone is watching.

I think he is fine, the problem is that they suck at directing him. Seems like every scene they have him act in the goofiest way possible

I didn't understand the silverback gorilla in a stormtrooper outfit.

I dont hate him desu

boyooga can eat shit. terrible actor. not a real hero or real human being

Idk user he looks like be could pick some space cotton pretty well

i don't hate finn, he's a good time, but his character is the absolute pinnacle of the lazy inauthentic way the new films are thrown together.

>be finn
>abducted by space nazi death cult as a child
>entire life of indoctrinated conditioning
>have a wobble when you see your mate get merked
>escape and become the most affable, wise cracking, happy go lucky good time boy in the whole series.

he should've been a worf like character, split between two polar moral codes.

HE DID NOT JUST WATCH A STORMTROOPER DIE, HE WAS ORDERED TO MURDER AN ENTIRE VILLAGE

He is like one of the 3 or 4 characters i like from this new trilogy,
he makes funny stuff and do stupid stuff
Is somehow like han solo but black and less
sarcastic.

I just want to know what the fuck made him basically the only First Order stormtrooper to resist First Order indoctrination.

Back in the days of the Empire, stormtroopers deserting was no lore issue - Imperials were regular folks who simply signed up for the Imperial military. But the First Order stormtroopers are established as being kidnapped as children and then basically brainwashed to be mindless killing machines. How would anyone in an environment like that feel so much hesitation, and immediately decide he's serving the wrong side?

kind of a disappointment to me for TFA
I thought they were going to sort of do a from a storm troope'r point of view thing,
but him being a stormtrooper had shit all to do with his character,
could have been a random merchant on jakku and it would mostly be the same.

I've wondered that as well. There has to be hundreds of double agents or turncoats on both sides. I don't know why a former janitor has reached such high levels of the resistance that he's standing side by side with the general.

Finn could have been so much more interesting than what we got in TFA. Instead, we got a pretty bland comedy character. The writers really dropped the ball. A brainwashed child soldier breaking his conditioning and defecting to his former enemy has a lot of potential as a character. Consider this alternative:

>Something causes Finn to snap and escape the First Orde
>He strikes out on his own, but with military discipline being the only thing he knows, he struggles to cope with life on the outside
>He has to develop his own moral compass, since he's only ever followed and given orders. What he adopts is an imperfect blend of what he was raised under (harsh absolutism) and what he aspires to as the antithesis of the First Order (pacifism and defense of the helpless).
>Maybe his unique ideology leads him to Luke, who offers the Jedi teachings as a more nuanced philosophy. Despite not being a Force user, Finn finds them helpful and incorporates them into his personal code.
>In his struggle to find purpose outside the goal driven military, Finn seeks to lead his former comrades away from brainwashed service to the tyrannical First Order. This causes him to fall in with the Rebellion (something he initially did not intend).
>Among the Rebellion, he finds the structure and direction he lacked after leaving the First Order. Except the other Rebels/Resistance members are sceptical and suspicious of his loyalties, especially since he refuses to use leathal force against his former comrades.
>Leia is an exception, and demonstrates her own Jedi wisdom in her ability to forgive and accept Finn
>When he faces Phasma, he doesn't mock her. In their confrontation, they are both pleading with the other; To Phasma, Finn is her greatest failure. The only way to resolve it is for him to return to the fold. For Finn, Phasma is his mentor, someone he trusts and respects. He wants to save her, not kill her.

Which he was fine with

I think Finn is the best new character in the new trilogy. He was used poorly in TLJ, though (but then again, everyone was utilized poorly in TLJ)

People hated Iden defecting in Battlefront II, but honestly, I found it to be much more compelling than Finn's story, and a story I was actually fond of.

Finn is:
>I didn't think we'd be dying and killing people

Iden is:
>I didn't think we'd be burning down loyal Imperial worlds and abandoning our ideas of peace and security just cause our now dead head of state told us to.

He's in this movie because of his skin color

Naw let's make him generic funny black man.

I remember JJ saying he cast him for his "blackness" in an article but I'm struggling to find the source

i'm 100% convinced that finn was written and casted long before the "hey let's make him an ex stormtrooper" idea came about. it doesn't fit his character one iota.

Because he's a pussy, a retard, and a hypocrite.

And he was fine with that till his mate got shot and got his visor dirty.

because the source is your asshole

It isn't.

People on this board are literally so deranged that any time an actor isn't white, they hysterically claim that he was only cast because of skin color and diversity. They literally think that no black people should ever appear in movies unless they're playing a drug dealer or an athlete.

>how come everyone hates the token nigger Jar Jar Binks standin that gets special consideration at every turn and is foisted upon some poor chink bitch in the script

Jar Jar's toys at least sold.

You want to know how you sell Finn as a character? Make him Lando's son, make him someone Han took care of/looked after after Lando died. Set up a legitimate hatred between Kylo and Finn after Kylo kills Han but Finn can't avenge Han because Finn can't beat Kylo for the same reason Han couldn't beat Vader.

Take that and turn him into the Wedge of the new trilogy with Poe as his wingman/co-pilot. Give him his own Arc with the frontliners in the 'Resistance' (Are they even a fucking resistance anymore now that Palpatine is dead? Killing an Emperor usually destroys his Empire)

If you cut out Finn and Rose the movie would end up exactly the same.
>b-but muh broomboy inspirational car commercial ending

so... because Finn is black, then

So your argument is that a black person shouldn't be allowed to be in a movie unless he is written to be the kin of the other black actor in the series?

Comic relief character with a stupid backstory.

nothing says "I'm not upset with him just because he's black" like calling him the n-word

Nah, because he's a token nigger who serves no plot purpose other than to shuck and jive at every turn and be as unlikable as Jar Jar Binks while being more useless than Boba Fett in the opening sequence of RotJ.

Lando Calrisian was black. People liked his character. He served a plot purpose. He had a character arc that wasn't laughable.

I don't hate Finn, his character was far more interesting than Rey's and a lot more could have been done with him.

Boyega though? Yeah, fuck him.

Why do people hate Boyega so much?
I'm not questioning, I'm genuinely curious

This

See
Now please, genuinely stop asking

he's as dumb as a mule and twice as ugly

So only white people should be in movies?

It's a hate for blacks then. I see.

>act like deplorable niggers for 60 years
>rape murder rob and destroy everything you touch, including eachother
>be completely and utterly shocked when you find out anyone not also a deplorable nigger hates your very existence

Liberia should've been a mandatory deportation of anything darker than caramel.

Finn as a character had potential, but the way he's written his background literally has no weight or purpose. He could be a random guy and act exactly the same, his past is only used to say he knows where things are in the FO ships. Also, most of his motivation for doing things is a girl he doesn't have chemistry with, and it doesn't help that his plot in TLJ was pointless and he became a comic relief.
I don't even hate the character, but he's just there, wasting time while we wait for more interesting characters to do things.

I like Finn he is the only character who made alittle sense before the movie ended with the unnecessary chink love

>Race-based collective responsibility
Top kek

I think he's forced diversity as far as the choice of actor but the character himself is just comic relief decent idea garbage execution. Best thing for him right now is just to go full-gay with Poe. Also his fans are cancer.

This. Sup Forums has always loved The Finn
He was one of the more interesting elements of TFA, even if TLJ destroyed his character along with damn near everything else

>everyone who disagrees with me is RACIST

Reminder that this is why Trump won

Because his motivations are vague and his character traits are generic. A stormtrooper somehow breaks decades of conditioning and acts like a fraidycat because...reasons. There were some throw away lines that seemed to explain it, but it was all ill-defined.

They want to give him the same arc as Han Solo in the OT (torn between his selfish desire to save his ass and his loyalty to his friends) but the difference is is that Han's arc and motivations were well established and, unlike Jabba, the First Order doesn't really care all that much about Finn.

They could have done some interesting things with him by examining his backstory and making his motivations more clear. But like, with everything with this new trilogy, the writing is just too fucking lazy to care. The prequels had bad writing. but at least it was writing that gave a shit.

This could have been a great trilogy if the writers not been so lazy.

The guy went on a rant about blacks aimply because we are talking about a black guy in star wars. No problem calling a spade a spade in this case

I was actually excited when the colored boy was driving into the death canon to his death, but then the fat chink saved his ugly ass

He actually should have died there. Unironically.

because you have failed storytelling 101 if your villain is more understandable and relatable than the hero

I totally cant relate to him bc of this. Hes a try hard but it ends up looking like standard dindu nuffin.
The actor is really big on cultural appropriation, suggesting he should be a hobbit bc hes fucking black.

Pardon? The star wars writers literally stated it is forced diversity in the new york times article.

On point man. They could have developed Poe and Fin's friendship in this one but instead they barely interact. Would've been nice to have two dudes have a relationship without forcing them to be gay or anything. Those are usually the strongest friendships.

Your idea was 100x bettee than Jar Jar or that faggot directors shit.

On top of that, Poe and Rey don't meet until the end of The Last Jedi

Everyone actually liked him in the first film when it turned out he wasn't going to be shoehorned in as an affirmative action BBC.

he could've been interesting if they explored why he rebelled against the first order and showed conflict in his heart when he killed his (former) homies, but noooo

I don't hate him, but I do hate how the filmmakers keep squandering any story potential for what is essentially an ex-Stormtrooper. That's one of the most interesting character premises you can have in a numerical Star Wars film and yet both directors don't know what the fuck to do with him.

I dont like the actor. I can even avoid a movie because there is someone i dont like in them.

His character can exist without being named. But no, the fucktards of Hollywood had to push their agenda.