Eyes wide shut

PROPER RELEASE WHEN????

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=gUBETbMtaN8
youtube.com/watch?v=vXhYAS1Kyp8
movingimage.us/visit/calendar/2016/03/05/detail/vertigo
openspace.sfmoma.org/2013/03/notes-before-and-after-seeing-vertigo-in-ib-technicolor/
youtube.com/watch?v=uWqSE_opBoc
cinephiliabeyond.org/
cinearchive.org/
thedissolve.com/features/
amazon.com/Film-History-Introduction-Kristin-Thompson/dp/0073386138
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

WHY WHY WHY

Right looks better.

I don't see a difference???

this. look at his skin tone.

no, it doesn’t

Right is the original, left is dvd/br

You fuckers are complaining about the look of the film being changed, yet why aren't you up in arms about the scenes of children being at the orgy that were cut by studio execs after they had Kubrick killed?

i was always really confused by this movie. it was semi-mesmerizing, and i love kubrick, but i never got it. and didnt it take an insane amount of time to film and make? supposed to be a complete masterpiece?

someone learn me. discuss the movie please.

>and didnt it take an insane amount of time to film and make?

year+ of filming

Another movie I noticed has this is Platoon, the old VHS it looks like richly saturated technicolor, in the following dvd and bluray versions the colors are muted and shadows are taken away, almost identical to what you see here

it sucks

It's not complete. Kubrick only got as far as showing WB execs the rough cut before he died. We only have the edited R rated finished version today. His final cut will never exist. Kubrick even edited The Shining after it was released and cut a scene that's lost now. He was always changing his movies, so knows what he would have cut out or put?

I love this movie's comfy late 90s aesthetic combined with the christmas stuff everywhere. I'm wondering, is the original movie grainier than what we have now? What's wrong with it? Barry Lyndon got remastered on blu ray by Criterion, maybe they can do this.

Where did people get the stills from the original?

>I'm wondering, is the original movie grainier than what we have now?

yes, and darker and a bit more saturated

An archive of movie stills

>the costume shop owner let those chinamen fuck his pre-teen daughter

And the released version

Christ it looks like someone boiled them, they are so pink/red.

This looks so sinister, compared to Which is deceptively warm and vibrant. What were they thinking with the color correction?

>What were they thinking with the color correction?

Critics complained that it looked like a super 16 film

Maybe that's what he was going for? Who knows. The finished version reminds me of the Shining. Are there any scenes of the original version online? I wonder what it looks like in motion.

to be fair the one in the right the window looks like day

>Maybe that's what he was going for?

It definitely was. He tried out a ton of different stocks and ended up choosing to underexpose and then push 2 stops. No real reason to do that unless he wanted tons of grain.

It's grittier and more realistic like that. Which I guess is what people want. Another movie that's like this is The French Connection. The first blu ray was desaturated and grainy.
The second one supervised by William Fredkin was less grainy and more saturated. I have no idea what the movie is actually supposed to look like.

Interesting. Is there a website about this info somewhere? I haven't been able to find much behind the scenes about this movie online. Something I did find out is that Kubrick actually planned to do sit down TV interviews and press for the film but died before he could, which sucks.

I managed to see a pristine 35MM print of this in NYC this year and it blew me away. Looked 100% better than any other viewing. For example, the whole weed smoking scene with the blue windows etc really FELT like it was a cold wintery day outside. On the DVD/Bluray it looks like insane blue gels on the lights.

youtube.com/watch?v=gUBETbMtaN8

.38 seconds in for an approximation of how I saw it on film, pic related for current oversaturated color grade

yes hello where are the proofs?

Way to kill the whole movie atmosphere with oh so artificial looking color correction filters.

How is he so handsome lads? I saw him once at MI4 premier and looks even better in person.

looks like shit. blu ray is much better.

Is the rest of that trailer close to 35mm?

I have that and trailer 2, both look very similar to the stills I have. I'm thinking about color correcting the movie and I've had some success so far making screencaps really close to the stills. Will have to fake the grain though

>tfw you realize Bill is being inducted into the cult and everyone is in on it from the beginning
>tfw you realize the price of entry is their daughter who is abducted in the final scene

whoah

You lucky bastard. What theater? I'd personally kill to see 2001 in 70mm. It's a shame there isn't that much info on this movie online, and Kubrick never got to explain why he did what he did. It's probably better having it be more mysterious that way, but still.

The final cut it really good, but I want to know what he intended for this movie. It's aparently his most personal.

>tfw you realize the price of entry is their daughter who is abducted in the final scene
what

how incomplete is the movie from what he intended?

This movie was horrible, and anyone that liked it should be ashamed of falling for bullshit.

in the final scene two bald dudes from the first party lead the daughter away at the toy store

Pleb detected.

They look like dreamy flashbacks, I like them, considering that's what they were going for.

>faggot autist that uses the word kino for mediocre films regulary and unironically detected

Metrograph, www.metrograph.com

I also managed to see 2001 in 70MM a few years back. The print was shitty with scratches and stuff but man that whole Overture with all the female singing and shit over the black image was pretty amazing with all the white dots and scratches and stuff, felt like floating throuhg film space.

All time greatest viewing experience on film for me was probably a fresh Technicolor print of Vertigo. I wish movies still looked like that. Second place would be The Master at the Zeigfeld before it closed

"no"

yes

hothead detected

Ok I watched eyes wide shut for the first time and Tom Cruise is not a good actor, to the point where it's distracting. Am I a pleb or is this an accurate statement? Is his casting purposeful? He has no monologues

He did it because he used natural lighting in every scene.

Kubrick literally made the film solely to show cruise is á homo and to cuck him literally

How dare you insult based Tom. He is a good actor, but I think Kubrick directed him to act a certain way. Kind of detached from everything and bland. The type of person you would see Nicole Kidman being tired of.

That's pretty cool user. Seems like a nice theater. I live in an area with only chain theaters like AMC and such. The last time I saw a movie on actual film was at Disney World, which is embarrassing to think about now. You New Yorkers get all the best movies in all the best formats. I hope they do something special for Eyes Wide Shut's 20th anniversary in 2 years.

>1999 was 20 years ago

Was Kubrick responsible for ruining their marriage?

maybe

Left is objectively better.

>a fresh Technicolor print of Vertigo.

HOW
O
W

>Kubrick’s on-set wall of secrecy even divided Cruise and Kidman. To exaggerate the distrust between their fictional husband and wife, Kubrick would direct each actor separately and forbid them to share notes. In one painful example, for just one minute of final footage where Alice makes love to a handsome naval officer—an imaginary affair that haunts Bill over the course of the film—Kubrick demanded that Kidman shoot six days of naked sex scenes with a male model. Not only did he ask the pair to pose in over 50 erotic positions, he banned Cruise from the set and forbade Kidman to assuage her husband’s tension by telling him what happened during the shoot.

I doubt it helped any.

Did anybody think this actually looked real?

It wasnt supposed to

>BILL REID: The theatrical release was MUCH grainier than the versions released on VHS and DVD. A couple/three reasons for this:
>1. ALLEGEDLY, Kubrick shot and intended the movie to be seen in "academy aperture", which is essentially the same aspect ratio (4:3) of the old CRT television screens (or the new "standard definition" digital television). For theaters, the movie was center-cropped and enlarged to fit the wider aspect ratio of movie theater screens, scalping Tom Cruise and losing some action occurring in the top and bottom of the frame, and also had the effect of enlarging any grain in the original frame.
>2. Kubrick definitely deliberately shot the movie with more grain than would be needed given modern film stocks and the lighting available for the scenes, in his end-of-life attempt to be "arty". He also deliberately manipulated the amount of grain throughout the movie: the movie is very grainy at the beginning and end, and much less so in the middle of the movie, the orgy scene, and the effect is that the entire film seems to "fade in/out" of that scene through the "veil" of graininess.
>3. Because the VHS and DVD versions were not centre-cropped and enlarged they are naturally much less grainy, plus certain technical aspects of the transfer process greatly reduced the appearance of the grain, both inevitably and by choice of the technicians performing the transfer.

movie is comfy as fug to watch in december
youtube.com/watch?v=vXhYAS1Kyp8

If you look closely the cafe, you can see Stanley Kubrick make a cameo. He had a rule where extras weren't allowed to nod their head when they speak to each other, but he did it himself anyways.

Confirmed to not actually be him

What is this from?

He's a good actor
Eyes Wide Shut is just one of Kubrick's least interesting and worst-written movies

>Okay, but this time do it even gayer.

Who played the mask shop owners daughter? She a cute.

Leelee Sobieski

>2 weeks of shooting for him to get the gay just right

What does she look like now?

look her up, she looks cute. i dont think she does movies anymore though

extreme mommy core

try having eyes phampai

>exposing the secret elite that run the world

Nah it was the Church of Scientology, She was totally against it and tried to save Tom from it.

Upon further research it was apparently a vintage print that looked impeccable. This is a byproduct of the IB Technicolor process. The film was more resilient for whatever reason

>My showing
movingimage.us/visit/calendar/2016/03/05/detail/vertigo

>Article about IB Technicolor Vertigo
openspace.sfmoma.org/2013/03/notes-before-and-after-seeing-vertigo-in-ib-technicolor/

>maybe part of the intensity of my response was the growing realization that an Eastman print of this film would now just be an interim step between the “reality” of the film as I was coming to know it, and whatever horrific digital version we’ll be presented with in the future, but which won’t be Vertigo anymore than Judy can be Madeleine, or Madeleine, as alluring as she is, can have the warmth and humanity of Judy, and which Scottie, often judged harshly for his failure to appreciate it, experienced too late to value properly. This is a long, convoluted train of thought, I know… but my experience of Vertigo in IB Tech has led me to wonder (not for the first time, I admit): will humanity only appreciate cinema (that is, projected celluloid film) after it’s gone?

youtube.com/watch?v=uWqSE_opBoc
>Original Eyes Wide Shut teaser that Kubrick cut it himself for Showest Convention.
>He died before all the other marketing material had been completed, but this one teaser is the only piece of marketing he had a hand in.
>All other teasers/trailers are cut by Warner Bros.
>This is probably the last thing Kubrick ever made before he died

Good stuff user. You seem to know a lot about film prints and film formats. Do you have a blog for this stuff or something?

muh dick
kubrick had patrician tier taste in women

Big guys

Those two dudes are the same waiters from the first party at the start of the film. Kubrick loves pulling shit like this

why is this the first shot of the movie

to set up sexytimes

>Kubrick's original version shows off more of Kidman's legs at the beginning and is practically a full-body shot compared to the released version which starts more zoomed-in.

What the fuck, no fair.

Thanks user. I work in film/video. No blog myself but here's a few links worth digging into. Not so much focused on the film prints and formats but they do have a lot of interesting think-pieces / interviews / retrospectives...

cinephiliabeyond.org/
cinearchive.org/
>Also this one which unfortunately doesn't produce new content but has great articles
thedissolve.com/features/

If you're looking to learn about the history of aspect ratios and those kinds of things, check out pic related. Then move onto Robert Bresson's 'Notes on Cinematography' and Tarkovsky's 'Sculpting in Time.' Also Alexander MacKendrick's 'On Film Making - An Introduction to the Craft of the Director' is a Godsend...

amazon.com/Film-History-Introduction-Kristin-Thompson/dp/0073386138

Had to hide tom cruise weaing underwear somehow

Kubrick telling us he's gonna expose everything

glass house was ok

Seems like the guy in charge of reformatting the movie thinks he's a better director than Kubrick.

Pretty fucking neat man. You're too good for this board. Do you do indie stuff or more mainstream films?

They had to cut the movie for an R rating and then guess what he would have done if he were still alive. It's incomplete and was fucked with by studio executives.

What other Kubrick films are worth watching besides his well known?

all of them

Paths of Glory is best war movie ever made.

Barry Lyndon

>jachin and boaz
>the glass door ajar
>two rackets
>the light
>the goddess
>the curtain pyramid
you are about to pass through to the inner sanctum of the temple of the goddess with the illuminated ones in which a game will be played
the very next shot bill stands there in darkness, the ignorant initiate with his golfclub bag completely zipped up unprepared for the game ahead