Supergirl Being Super

Is anyone else here reading Supergirl Being Super? I just picked up the second and third book, and wow, they're awesome. These are the best Supergirl comics we've had in a long time. What I really like about it is that it really gets close to the core concept of the character that she is the "girl next door" archetype. That to me has always been what this character is about, she's just an ordinary teenager trying to find her place in the world.

Too often is Supergirl thrown into incredibly dense and complex events in the DC universe where she's forced to interact with damn near everyone in the DCU, it creates stuffy, cluttersome stories and I think it subtracts overall from telling a good, character-driven story with meaningful moments.

This book however is filled with quiet moments and an emotional richness that I haven't read in Supergirl comics before, this is what the New52 Supergirl books were sorely lacking. Kara actually talks and thinks like a real teenager, which is something that alot of comics get wrong, remember the recent Raven comic we got? Terrible. But this feels real, it feels right, right on the money of what I've always thought this character was about.

Book two was very touching, I loved it. I haven't read book one though, was it just as good?

Other urls found in this thread:

adventuresinpoortaste.com/2016/12/28/supergirl-being-super-1-review/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

With Jones' art, it really makes Orlando's run look and read like dogshit desu

Nothing really happened in the first issue besides the zit pop.

I'm trade-waiting. Good to know it is good.

I'm postan some Supergirl.

The first issue was really not for me, with that stuff about the lesbian quirky pink-haired fat friend (I'm deeply deeply sorry if that's reality for the american youth nowadays), and the zit stuff.
It really seemed it was gonna be to girl-problems centric.
However, patience payed off. The story picked up relly well for #2 and #3, and there doesn't seem to be an sjw agenda for this book. I guess the details I mentioned before were just presenting the characters and won't factor much from now on.
Happy I stuck around it.

It's just an OK read, fun too, but it's not really "Supergirl" per se, as she retains essentially nothing from the character. Instead it's "What If Kal El had been born a girl?" Which is fine, too.

It's at least better than most of the regular Rebirth garbage.

Is it as good as Cosmic Adventures?

It is kinda bland, I prefer the angry New 52 Supergirl.

here

>Kara actually talks and thinks like a real teenager,

This is different, in new 52 she was born and raised in Krypton and we know less of how kryptonians act and such, she was in her right to be angry that her whole world was destroyed. In Being Super she was raised on earth but she is still bland as fuck, her friends doesnt bring much new to the table, the only character that I like is her father, he is interesting.

>but it's not really "Supergirl" per se, as she retains essentially nothing from the character.
Such as?

Unlike the traditional Supergirl, "Being Super" Supergirl arrives on Earth as a baby, is raised by a childless couple. This is Clark's story, and as far as I've seen her personality is that of a generic teenager, confused by her powers and all, but nothing unique.

>She's underage so I can't jack off to it, 8/10
-an actual review

She was more like a toddler, she knows the Kryptonian language, and has memories bubbling up from her subconscious, that's not the same as Superman who has literally no memories at all of Krypton.

Also, she's always been a generic teen girl character from the start, and that's what I like about her, she's just a charming, sweet girl who is a little confused and is looking for her place in the world. I like this book because it's giving her a similar back story to Clark Kent, with a soul-searching theme that is a bit more gentle and doesn't hit you over the head with edgy emotions, plus teen characters that feel real which is kinda rare in comics.

Which user was this

is she still fucking every single black guy in the DCU for progressive reasons?

I hope so so you'll cry about it desu

Nah, she does it now for her pleasure.

adventuresinpoortaste.com/2016/12/28/supergirl-being-super-1-review/

>Nevertheless, the result has been that males like myself have becoming correspondingly alienated. It’s an inevitable consequent that whenever stories start to be written for them, they’re no longer written for us (whomever them and us may be – in this particular circumstance, its male and female readers). I don’t begrudge DC for trying to expand their readership. But my personal pull list – which once included numerous female figures – is becoming increasingly phallocentric. The comics medium as a whole is absolutely losing its ability to tell a certain species of story – one with its own particular mood, not found anywhere else – in its eagerness to excise from series starring heroines any hint of the “male gaze.”
>By which I do not merely mean “titillation” – though I do argue that there is a place for such even in mainstream comics. That the medium attracts artists of such talent that they can render with a few skillful strokes of ink illustrations which are not in fact smutty but genuinely sexy should not be a source of shame.

He goes on to say that she's not drawn sexily enough compared to the Loeb days

>Also, she's always been a generic teen girl character from the start, and that's what I like about her

That's what I've never liked about her, she can't get away from being just another gimmick character, and when they've tried (lol Matrix) the results haven't been great.

Joelle Jones is my waifu.

Imagine being so retarded you actually count the number of penis having characters in your pull list.

Accurate site name.

The first three issues read like an underwhelming YA novel so I'm not super interested.

I thought she was still pretty damn hot in Being Super. Is this guy just complaining that she's not in a skimpy skirt that's riding as low as possible? Also his writing is pretentious as fuck, like he's begging for attention and to be taken seriously.

Yeah, I exaggerated a little in the "can't jack off, 8/10" comment, but that does seem to be his main problem with the book. It is written for a young teen girl audience, but she isn't in midriff bearing clothes, so the reviewer doesn't seem to like it.
I did notice that they got a different person to write the review for the second issue

I won't be reading this or any other SJW book out there nowadays.

What's wrong with Super MAN. Why the fuck do we need a Super girl? Who asked for this shit? Why the fuck do comic books feel the need to replace male heroes with females just for the sake of "diversity"

That's reeeaaaly weak man. You got to learn to dress it up some more. Plus this doesn't work with a character that was originally created to be a meaningless knockoff gimic side character who replaced nobody.

What the hell are you talking about?

I'm liking it so far,

It's shit.

>I'm not super interested

@92061900
Lame. Not even worth a (You).

pimple

I wasn't real thrilled with the direction the most recent issue went regarding the gym teacher and the new guy. I'm not a teenager girl, though, and maybe that sort of thing appeals to them.