Best War film to come out in the last 10 years

Best War film to come out in the last 10 years.

Prove me wrong bitches.

Hacksaw Ridge was better

defiance

It's not a war film you plebtard.

It's a survival kino.

Survival kino/War film...same thing user.

Love you though...

Inglourious Basterds was better.

>last 10 years
wow what a feat

Making a good war film is piss easy. Making a peace movie in a meaningful is infinitely harder.

+1

>peace movie
you mean a romantic comedy?

>t. brainlet

This was an incredibly dull and shitty movie. You people shouldn't use words like "kino" that you don't understand. Nolan is the type of director who builds movies around single clever concepts. When the concept is clever, it works. With movies like Dunkirk, it does not.

Dunkirk's concept was that war itself is a monster. So you don't see a single Nazi all movie, only bullets coming out of the fog cutting through terrified boys. Nolan wants ot portray these boys as heroes, but by having them cower in the face of some shitty fucking Cloverfield monster, he denies them glory and makes them only victims to be slaughtered, so at the end, when they are lifted by Churchill's rousing speech, it falls flat.

The characters are dull and meaningless. I laughed out loud when they had that newspaper article at the end wanking off Little Jimmy or whoever that dead kid was. All that kid did was lie in a bed and die but you see his bro and dad exchange some "your brother was a hero" noble look. Fucking absurd. The characters largely spent time cowering, or staring at gauges like Bane. If you want a true movie about survival and the inescapable brutality of war, there's Hacksaw Ridge. Or the new Unknown Soldier movie from Finland. This? Dunkirk was garbage.

Worst part was the soundtrack, an unending piss flood of bongo beats and Jaws music that drones on and on repetitively for 10-15 minutes at a time just to cut out without any payoff and move onto the next scene. It's like waiting for the beat drop that never comes. It's like waiting to nut but you keep being interrupted halfway. Maybe it was intentional, but it ended up being annoying and grating.

This
Move
Was
Shit

>DUDE JUST REPLACE ALL THE ACTORS WITH MACHINES AND LET THEM DIE BLOODLESSLY WITH LESS REACTION THAN A SUFFOCATING MONKEY

This is a better film

fpbp

What film is that user?

Hacksaw ridge was just another american cock stroking movie

If that's all you saw in Hacksaw Ridge it proves your mental deficiency.

Excuse me?
Name better operator kino with gun fights that are on par with Lone Survivor.

all i remember from this movie was them falling down a cliff for 15mins

the style didnt rly fit a ww2 movie imo and the characters all sucked balls

how did he stay in the air until everyone else left? that didn't make any sense

Yeah that one scene could have been shorter but it was well done. Those guys actually took a fall like that so it was cool that they tried to stay true to how it happened.

Whats the appeal of war movies? It's usually just white people shooting at each other. Bland story and predictable ending

some are good and not like that. sometimes the war is just the setting and not the plot u kno???

One guy literally picks up the torso of another dead gi while holding up and firing a bar full auto while running and mowing down over 8+ japs while not running out of ammo

>americans will defend this

This

I can't. Dunkirk is what peak cinematography looks like.

Yes, heroism exists in war.
Clearly you are some shithead raised on Nam memes who thinks that any display of pride in anything is a sign of toxic masculinity, nationalism, or whatever the new buzzword is for first world self-hatred.

It's not even the best war film of 2017.

not american doesnt count

What is he carrying, some kind of steampunk axe?

You are perhaps the most uneducated person on this board

lol thats gay as fuck that you take pride in hollywoods unrealistic portrayal of combat

Read a history book sometime my dude

Prove me wrong.

Maxim M/32-33

This, Tuntematon Sotilas is such a superior movie to Nolan's self-indulgent snoozefest.

First they are not portrayed as heroes but as human in their frightened reactions and unwillingness to fight. Tell me how heroic the soldier was shoving the lad? Or the ones clinging insanely to the sinking ship? The only ones who could remotely be thought of as heroes were the fighter pilots who gave their own life saving the rescue ships.

If you were literate maybe you'd have seen that I said he spends the entire movie being denied glory and being seen cowering. They ARE supposed to be seen as heroes, at the end, when that faggot reads Churchill's speech and the message of the movie is supposed to be "these were just kids who were so frightened and human but that they fought anyway makes them heroes." That's what he was going for, but it's undercut every step of the way by their inaction and Nolan's portrayal of the situation, with the Nazis being the fog monster from Lost and glorifying some shitter kid who just died. They were all supposed to be heroes, at the end, because they endured great suffering despite their weakness.

You want to claim I'm the dumbest guy here but you couldn't grasp this basic fucking concept of the movie. You couldn't grasp is because not only are you small-brained, but Nolan is so inept in directing Dunkirk that small-brained lads like you can't even perceive his own message.

That's why Dunkirk is shit, because it spends the whole movie crapping all over these boys showing how pussy they were and then at the end attempts to glorify them anyway, in the most lazy and pathetic way. Thus, they are denied glory or pathos, they're just victims. Once again, The Unknown Soldier and Hacksaw Ridge did it so much better, showing the brutality, fear, and unsurvivable carnage of war but still retaining principle and heroism.

Fury was better.

Kino taste. Did you see it in Theaters? I have never been so shaken by audio design in a movie.

That tiger fight scene.... god damn... still gives me chills.

This movie blew up my surround sound no joke.

ITT films non-europeans will never get

Yea. The tiger fight is fuckin intense. That was some fuckin masterful editing, sound design and music.

>only bullets coming out of the fog cutting through terrified boys.
that’s what war frequently is like. it’s not a fucking cawadooty shoot-em-up

I wish I could just slap you for being retarded. They aren't heroes in any sense. Churchill is being practical and rallying befor the next inevitable battle. These piss babies could not even hold one beach. They aren't heroic but turned jnto heroic effigies as a matter of necessity. Just like harvey dent.

>These piss babies could not even hold one beach. They aren't heroic but turned jnto heroic effigies as a matter of necessity.
one of the characters literally says this at the end of the movie

>dead gi

it was a dead japanese soldier, proves you were not paying attention therefore your opinion is invalidated

Were you dropped on your head as a child or did you not notice the music soaring at the end for the first time all movie as the speech goes on about how they got their shit kicked in but would rally and rise again, and how the characters get that steely look in their eyes showing that their determination has been rekindled even after all the horror? Seriously, you are fucking stupid. The movie is about how they went through some terrible shit and it was Britain's lowest point, but they could get up from this terrible shit as a nation so their deaths weren't without meaning. At least, that's what Nolan was going for. It doesn't come off that way because his directing and vision for the movie are so confused, so much so that retards like you can't comprehend it.

You literally never see a single enemy soldier all movie long, this was an intentional choice, not to show that "war is confusing" because this "oh no where's it coming from????" shit has been in every movie with a war scene since the 80s, but because he wanted to show war as a kind of force of nature that could not be fought against and was insurmountable to the shitainnian boys and that one French shitting fuck. This ultimately worked against the movie as it was ridiculous and made them seem like they were running from some slasher movie bad guy.

The ending of Dunkirk is literally Churchill begging America to save them.

Its a white guy

Also prove the rest of my comment wrong, you cant

it was also because that’s literally fucking how the evacuation happened. hitler stopped his panzer divisions (at that point, the very tip of the spear of the nazi forces invading france) several miles inland, thinking that the luftwaffe could take care of the BEF. jesus christ at least read a little about the history

What's your point? It was still shit in the movie, and it was a shitty movie.

so you wanted him to just ignore history and have the brits and the germans fighting each other on the beaches?

>it's a /poltv/ pretends to like a dramatically inert film which had no compelling reason to exist because they're still RPing as white people episode

I'm pretty sure at some point during the actual battle a minimum of one German was seen by an Allied soldier, somewhere, at some time. Not like the clownshoes opening scene where the shitting frog is running from the Germans who come off as some kind of low budget horror movie monster.

>DIS MOOBIE WAD BORING DERE SHUD HAB BEN MOR PEEPUL SHOODING EACH ODER IN DA FACE

The problem is that the days when just doing a naturalistic but sanitized version of an incident that happened in WWII was enough to base a movie on ended in about 1963. We need a reason to watch THIS film rather than the hundreds of older mildly boring Dad-core WWII movies that play in an endless loop on TV, and this didn't give us one.

Well, it was boring. The primary reason for a movie to exist is entertainment.

It's funny because by making this post you've outed yourself as the dumbest dude in the thread.

But it genuinely was boring. Movies whose only argument for their shape is the historical record, and whose only claim on our attention is ancestor worship, fail.

OP have you seen this really intense indie war film called Rogue One: A Star Wars Story

Don't worry. It's ok to be on the spectrum.

You guys ever notice how Nolan fanboys have literally no argument other than "it's kino, you're just too dumb to understand it?" They're like a parody of arthouse hipster pretension.

i mean i’m just repeating what is basically your main criticism

This movie is piece of shit, get over it Nolanets

>thought the movie was boring
>some guy on the internet is so incapable of handling the knowledge that someone else found the movie dull that he posts some mongoloid wojak meme with greentext construing all who disagree with him as retarded
>this guy then claims other people are autistic/retarded despite having failed to make any case for why this movie has value

oh the iron knee

the last jedi was a better war film than this nolantrash

>NOD ENUFF NADSEES SHOD IN DA FACE

"It's what happened, it's meant to be boring" is pure Asperger's as an argument, though. You're literally angry with people for expecting something other than tedium from an entertainment product.

for the record, i didn’t find it boring

Check out Armond White's review on Dunkirk.

>Where are muh Based nazis at so I can jack off to their uniforms?????

daddi dolan direkt et

itz gud

ur dundt waxt et in da IMAX

Aspies have a high boredom threshold though, we know this.

this, though dunkirk was quite good too tuntematon sotilas is unironically the best war movie I've ever watched.
The tripod for a machine gun

>full length feature of Anglo cowardice, leaving the French to die.
Pretty kino!

>FUG BORING WAR MOOBIE CABEGINO IS MORE ECKSITING

The music really was shitty and I'm surprised more people don't make note of it. I wished I could mute it half an hour in.

brainletposting is truly a foolproof way to derail a thread

If you resort to brainlet posting first you're admitting you lost the argument. So, thread over, Dunkirk was hot garbage.

>implying i was the user brainletposting

Wasn't implying that at all, I'm just saying, if your only argument is some memes and calling your opponents retarded, you don't have an argument. It exposes Nolanfaggets for what they really are.

>They should have ignored how the battle/evacuation actually went to make it more entertaining
What was meant by this?

>during the actual battle nobody saw a single German man, ever, at any point in time

>On 2 June (the day the last of the British units embarked onto the ships),[Notes 1] the French began to fall back slowly, and by 3 June the Germans were about two miles (3 km) from Dunkirk. The night of 3 June was the last night of evacuations. At 10:20 on 4 June, the Germans hoisted the swastika over the docks from which so many British and French troops had escaped.
and when they’re hiding in the beached fishing trawler they hear the germans talking outside

It felt a bit rushed and anti-climactic towards the end.

Like everything is going to shit and then we finally see maybe a few dozen little civilian boats show up and next thing you know 300,000 men have been evacuated and the old man's boat never actually goes to the beach.

Excellent audio though, and the aircraft scenes were quite good.

You don't see a single German in the movie, ever, you mongoloid. That was a deliberate stylistic choice, to remove the Nazis as an identifiable antagonist and have the antagonist be "the horror of war" or some such bullshit. Meanwhile, during the actual battle, I am pretty sure that at some point, some Allied soldier, somewhere, saw at least one(1) German man. So don't pull this "it's realistic" faggotry. Nolan warped history and the rules of reality to have invisible eldritch Germans firing from the aether all movie long so he could push a fucking concept, he did not have to sacrifice entertainment to make it "realistic."

I suppose if they wanted some more action in the film they could have put in the Queen's Own Cameron Highlanders who were fighting the rear guard with the French (who had been forbidden by their own command to leave) and were left to find their own way home.

Last bayonet charge in the army's history. Full on kilts and bagpipes.

>You don't see a single German in the movie, ever, you mongoloid.
1. you do, in the last few seconds of the movie, when tom hardy is being captured
2. on the beaches, unless you were one of the very last guys evacuated, no, you wouldn’t have seen any germans on the beach with you. the vast majority of the movie takes place on the beach or off the coast. the whole point was that the brits and french (but mostly french) were holding the germans off at the perimeter

>the whole point was that the brits and french (but mostly french) were holding the germans off at the perimeter

So then why not show that? Did it not count?

Apart from the stylistic choice, I guess weaving in a coherent story about the rear-guard fighting into the non-linear script would have gotten messy and added way more to the budget

Overall I reckon this film balances art and history quite well

they mention it a bunch of times. and during the scenes at night you can hear the artillery and gunfire off in the distance. but i guess nolan just wanted to focus on the evacuation itself. if you think he should have focused on more than just that, i get that even if i don’t agree

>Overall I reckon this film balances art and history quite well

It doesn't though, because in the end it's a boring as fuck movie.

My main problem I had with the movie was that there was literally no reason to watch it unless you're some massive Dunkirk nerd. But this isn't a movie for nerds, so it was a failure.

Pseud bait

How have you not fatally poisoned yourself yet with that levle of intelligence?

Maybe you should fatally poison yourself for having no sense of humor.

The "music" was really unnecessary and downright distracting in alot of scenes. Its like Nolan watched There Will be Blood and said I WAN DE MUSAAK BUH AAH DE TEIJME