Judge Dredd Storytime - Harvey

>"Have we been here before?"

It all started almost a quarter of a century ago. With Justice Department's ranks severely depleted by the apocalyptic events now known as Necropolis and Judgement Day, then Chief Judge McGruder commissioned the creation of an army of robot judges programmed to bring metal law to the citizens. The Mechanismo robots were built to be the future of law enforcement, but instead, they ultimately spelled the end of McGruder's second and last reign as Chief Judge.
Twenty-five years later, another Chief Judge in her second reign finds herself facing a similar situation. Will history repeat itself, or are there new errors just waiting to be made? And what does all this have to do with Mega-City One's top lawman?
Come with us and find out as John Wagner and John McCrea introduce Judge Dredd to the mechanical marvel known only as... "Harvey"!

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=hOzulXud52I
youtube.com/watch?v=QcURhfhPJiM
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Ok, first things first:

McCrea's art in this is phenomenal.

Although unfortunately, he still can't quite figure out Hershey's hair.

This is new?

>Pat pat
I like Harvey.

Harvey is a total bro

Behold, Sup Forums: the smile of someone trying their absolute hardest to stay positive in the face of impending disaster.

Yup! Just finished today.

So you're posting the whole arc?

You read the new Manifest Destiny yet?

Barring any unforeseen circumstances, drokk yeah.

Aw Harvey, you cool guy.

Hell yeah. I know it's cliche, but I really loved the way they handled the fog. Last two pages had a bit too much dialogue from the...
thing, made it sound like a two bit villain, but the art more than made up for it.

I love that the entire theme of this scene is "This robot programmed to act human acts more human than the ACTUAL human evaluating it."

I know MC-1 creeps aren't the brightest of the lot, but... really? REALLY? You're going to try to rob someone with fucking DREDD and a giant judge robo right there?
Hell, I doubt a headshot would actually kill the guy, since he seems to have his brain up his ass.

>"You'd rather talk to HIM?"
I love Wagner's writing so much.

He just wants to be the best judge he can be, Joe.

It's not quite Bisley/Semeiks' Lobo level, but I love me some random graffiti.

youtube.com/watch?v=hOzulXud52I

The mechanismo judges head look like a penis

You can't ignore Harvey's girth!

>Deploy the fucking robots, Shinji.

Evening Judge, thanks for the storytime. Not familiar with this one so that's a bonus.

Always a good time shootin the breeze about comic history with knowledgable anons like yourself, Designated Dave, JSA Storytimer, Preacher user, Norrin Radical, Johnny Walker, Dan Dashly, Kind Storyteller, and several others I can't remember atm. I don't know many other readers who share my love of Lady Shiva when she's done justice (which is sadly so rare these days)

Anyways enough rambling, sometimes I feel like folks such as yourself are the best of this board, and why some of us keep coming back. Happy humpday

youtube.com/watch?v=QcURhfhPJiM

Thanks a lot, man! Glad you're enjoying the story. And don't get me started on Shiva. The current 'Tec arc has been a disappointment of biblical proportions.

Hey judge storytime, i just wanted to say something about Dredd that i recently find out

>the most irrelevant countries in South America (Peru/Bolivia) survive the holocaust

BULL SHIT!

Oh great, now they're taking our women too! When will it end, I ask you!

Oh, like you haven't gone behind her back to sabotage her measures before, Dredd. Remember the Beating?

Don't forget about the best Sudaca country of them all: MINE! Which still exists in the form of Ciudad Barranquilla.

Probably slipped under the radar due to their aforementioned irrelevance

You could at least try not to sound so giddy, you stoneyfaced bastard.

Well, uh... at least he's not shooting citizens at random like the first Mechanismos.

Must be some kind of sugar junkie. That shit will rot your brain.

Alright guys, time for my two favorite pages of the entire week. You're now about to witness the strength... of bot knowledge.

I haven't loved a robot cop this much since Strongarm in Transformers: RiD.

Harvey was a real hero. And he got dredd to tell him he did good.

And that's the end of Harvey's story... for now. With any luck, the kinks will be ironed out and Harvey and his robo-bros will be back on the streets kicking ass, taking names and saving lives before you can say "grud on a greenie." And who knows? Maybe this time they won't lead to the downfall of the Chief Judge that had them built... No joke, I could spend a solid hour or two talking about and dissecting this single page alone, but I figure I've tortured this board enough.

I want to here your analysis on it though

Hope you enjoyed that bit of fresh metal madness, Sup Forums! And if you liked what you read here, prog (issue) 2023 of 2000AD was a jump-on special with five all-new stories, so if you've ever wanted to get in on the Galaxy's Greatest Comics, now's the time, earthlets! Splundig vur Thrigg!

Drokkin' degenerates!

He proved to be a real human being... well, kinda.

What's the best Dredd crossover?

Ok, so... Hershey knows VERY well that this is thin fucking ice she's walking on. She knows how the original Mechanismo project ended up. She was LITERALLY THERE when Dredd turned in his badge and McGruder had him arrested. So it shouldn't come as big surprise for her that Dredd is against it. But she still tries to make him face facts, and even her words to Shinji, "grud help us when they are", show us that she still holds his judgment in high esteem, despite his stubbornness. She's not an idiot, but she also has to see the bigger picture, which is something Dredd himself flat-out refuses to do in many ways.
There is the matter of Hershey going against Dredd's judgment when it comes to deploying the bots, but here's the thing: this isn't even the first time she's left the fate of a band-aid project in his hands only to have it rejected. She tries her best to send olive branches down Dredd's way and listen to him, but all she gets is grief, gloom and launchpad explosions. And that's when Dredd isn't *actively* trying to sabotage those measures behind her back, like he did in The Beating.
And all of that is super interesting to me in the context of the previous Mechanismo project: Hershey is trying to use the lessons learned from that debacle, not just in regards to the robots but in regards to Dredd. She doesn't want to force him, she wants to convince him, out of a respect for him that has survived literally years of arm-twisting, agenda-pushing and shadowy backstabs. And Dredd, being the cunt that he is, is completely blind to any of that because he's too wrapped up in his own idealized vision of what the city and the judges should be. Honestly, the relationship between these two is just one of the most compelling things in comics right now for me.
Anyway, the big question here is when Wagner will pick this story thread again and how it'll go. Harvey himself came out of this one looking like a champ, so who knows? Maybe there is hope yet.

Most folks would probably point you to the first Batman crossover, Judgment in Gotham, and that's an OK choice. Lovely Bisley art and all. But my two personal favorites are Judge Dredd/Lobo: Psycho Bikers vs the Mutants from Hell, and Judge Dredd vs Aliens: Incubus. The latter is even a really good intro to Dredd and his setting.

God damn that was a great story. Hope you don't get scrapped, Harvey.

I liked this story and I liked Harvey.

Thanks for the storytime.

Thanks for reading. And yeah, is it too early to start a Friends of Harvey Fan Club?

Silly user. That's exactly WHY they survived. Who the fuck would waste a nuke on Bolivia or Peru?

When was the last time Dredd gave a compliment? I can't actually remember.

Really love how they paneled this page with the reflections off the helmet

>hey I wonder if the new prog is here ye-
>Judge user storytime
HA HA HA YES

Stayed up late just for my dose of Dredd. Thanks Judge user.

Just in general the art on display here is 10/10.
The color work in particular really stood out to me.

I like Judge Harvey, I hope he becomes a recurring character. Maybe some day the one mechanismo unit Dredd actually trusts.

judgebump

Good grud that a nice cover

>Dean Gaffney
From Eastenders to MC1.

"Clean" cover art from covers uncovered blog

Thanks, OP.

glad someone is still doing this, thanks OP

Best Robert Cop remains the one in Top Ten.

pimp judge best judge

This storyline came out this year?

Yeah, it ended yesterday.

>chest blown open
>still alive

The breed em tough in Megacity 1.

>Even robots are susceptible to the pussy pass

Isn't regular housing paid for by the state in this world? How could they be getting evicted?

Never mind, it's sort of explained in the next page.

Thanks for this!

Well, if you're gonna be dumb...

At least spoiler that, man.

Harvey The Hero

That bottom image is a retrowave orgasm. I'm loving this.

You're one of the good ones, Judge Harvey.

I got worse. Wanna see what Dredd looks like under the helmet?

He just wants to be a good judge, maaaan!

I really liked this story.

any chance of storytiming Fall of Deadworld once that wraps up?

Scaramouche pls

Sure thing! If nobody else beats me to the punch, once the current serial is done I can do a big Fall of Deadworld storytime.

FUCK YEAH HARVEY

Judge user, you're a great poster. Thank you so much for what you bring to this board.

That will be one to look forward to. In fact now I think of it a complete judge Death story time would be awesome if anyone has time for it

I get the feeling this is the last we'll see of the RV's for a while. The next time they are brought back up may be for a bigger storyarc or event, that sees Harvey reunited with Dredd, and potentially giving his robolife to save Dredd or something like that.

It's the only logical end for such a character as Harvey, who is basically a robot copy of Dredd with an empathy chip.

Harvey is a compelling character that stands out among the Mechanismo Judges they have shown. (which was what, 2?) . Which would make the feels all the more potent.

And result in Dredd begrudgingly acknowledging Harvey in hindsight as a proper Judge or something like that.

If you want more check out
2000adcovers.blogspot
[dot]co.uk
They post the clean cover art for each prog and meg plus lots of unused art and scetches

I was pleasantly surprised by that story being a thing.

Worst case scenario, all of the Mechanismos will either be hacked or go insane except for Harvey, and he will die protecting Dredd from the rogue robots.
Best case scenario, Harvey and the Mechanismos help while the Academy is rebuilt, and once cadet numbers go back to normal are used only for special cases and whatnot.
But yeah, with the new Dark Judges series coming soon-ish I wouldn't expect more Harvey until at least 2018.

>mfw "Put it there, pal!"
What a fucking CHAMP holy shit

The gift of thrill-power is its own reward, earthlets!

Oof, that'd be a cool couple of weeks!

We Already know how he looks.

What do isocubes smell like

Creeps

Dolman had a face change

Are they making MC1 look more like the Urban Dredd movie MC1? With 20th century buildings at city bottom? (which is how it was in early Dredd strips).

As always, it depends a loooot on who's drawing it at any given time.

>Posting Dolman post-face change op
>Not even using that one time Ron Smith straight-up drew Judge Fargo's face
Step up.